Live Nest Cams

Remember last year we had an eagle cam and got to watch the bald eagles nest and hatch babies and feed them, etc. This would be a good place for someone to post the link for that cam again this year. In the meantime here is a VERY different kind of bird and its nest cam. The nest is in the San Fernando Valley, CA. There are two babies just hatched. Enjoy
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/allen-s-hummingbird-nest-cam

Comments

• Awesome! I love live feeds. We have one here for Peregrine Falcons, but the family has migrated for the winter already. I'll post the link for it when they return.
  • How cool is this. They are so tiny
  • Moms off the nest. Babies have got to be no bigger than a jelly bean lol
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited January 2015
    The eggs are about the size of the smallest jelly beans. The babies are about the size of bumble bees. I know this because we had a nest of hummingbirds in a hibiscus bush right outside my son's bedroom window one year. The nest was about 18 inches from the window which had a screen on it, so the bird couldn't see us when we very quietly looked out and observed. The nest is about as big as a golf ball. It's amazing to see this live cam on full screen. Such detail of feathers and eyes. That mama bird sure is vigilant. She breathes really fast, too.
  • KMMKMM Member
    There is and eagle can at Blackwater Preserve inMD with nesting eagle.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited May 2016
    Word for the day: eyas
    Peregrine Cam
    Downtown Phoenix Peregrine Falcons
    This live feed is brought to you through a cooperative agreement between Maricopa County and the Arizona Game and Fish Department.
    https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/viewing/webcamlist/peregrine/peregrinecam/
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited May 2016
    Peregrine family photos
    PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK) - May 10 2016
    In the ultimate reality show, a unique Phoenix couple are raising their new baby -- and waiting for baby No. 2 -- while a live camera streams 24/7 video and audio of their every move for all to see
    http://www.azfamily.com/story/31941236/peregrine-family-photos
  • Thanks for the links, Keta. Fascinating.
  • KetaKeta Member
    You're welcome!
    It amazed me how they adapt to city living.
  • I don't think the Falcon's second egg is going to hatch. It's pretty fascinating watching the way both parents take turns guarding the nest and the one chick. Got to see papa bird dismember half of a bird to feed the chick. After the chick was full it fell over onto it's back and fell asleep. So cute. Papa then finished off the meal himself, then carried the carcass off somewhere to dispose of it.
  • edited May 2016
    I've been watching the Decorah Eagle nest and it has been heartbreaking. Three eaglets hatched. The third eaglet was so much smaller than the other two and Eaglet #1, the biggest, attacked him non-stop and the tiny baby was not getting enough food. He was unable to walk towards mom because of the beatdowns and didn't eat for two days. Also, the smallest didn't get enough brooding from the adults. According to the Raptor project, the death was a combination of getting too cold because he needed more brooding, not getting enough food, and being attacked by the oldest.

It's been horrible! I know it's nature, but that sweet baby suffered and this morning the father fed the baby's body to the other eaglets. Sigh....nature sucks. It really ruined the experience for me. Yes, I know I'm weak, but it was horrible. Now the largest is beating on the #2 eaglet. I don't think I can watch it anymore.
  • Better to watch the Falcons then. Only one baby. So far I've seen papa bird is doing most of the feeding of the baby. It's quite fascinating to watch.

"Nature raw in tooth and claw." Don't remember who said that. "Survival of the fittest," or in the eagle's case, of the firstborn. Just think of it this way, if the deceased bird had hatched first, it would have attacked its siblings, too. Luck of the draw, I guess. But, I'm glad I didn't have to watch that.

I hope you have been following the story of Quartz on the Worthy Horse Rescues thread. It goes back to the previous page. Quite a wonderful story. He's an OTTB, probably, and I know that's an interest of yours, Louise. There's another one over at Mea Ola's on the most recent page. Both he (Captain) and Quartz were saved at auction. Both were saved by Hi Caliber, which is beginning to receive some pretty widespread recognition, and well-deserved. Captain went to Mea Ola's Place back on Feb. 16th.
  • Thanks @VA_in_CA, I'll check out Mea Ola's thread. I did see on twitter and Facebook about HiCaliber's recent rescue and was thrilled about their saves but haven't read about Mea Ola's new rescue.
  • Actually it's an old rescue with a new update. Check out the Mea Ola's Place facebook page for all the updates. I haven't posted the one-month update on Holly and Rose yet. https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/timeline
  • KMMKMM Member
    I think I might have to pass on the eagle cams. The one in Pittsburgh showed an eagle bringing a cat home for its eaglets to dine on.
  • Ugh. I wouldn't want to see that at all!! However, it is kind of poetic justice that a cat, from a species that kills small birds, became the victim of a big bird. Nature is certainly not sentimental. I hate to see the falcons feeding the small birds to the chick. Depends on the viewpoint, I guess. The baby has to be fed if it is to survive. And the falcons are beautiful birds. Also papa falcon dismembered his most recent kill with his back to the camera and the corpse hidden behind him. Very okay to watch. But when we were keeping Mallard ducks in our back yard and one summer the babies vanished without a trace, one by one, we were not sympathetic to the predators. I saw the hawk swoop down and grab the last baby one day. Poor mama duck couldn't do a thing about it. For quite a few years after that, we had a red-tailed hawk nesting in a tree in the front yard, but somehow we didn't lose any more ducklings to hawks. (Opossums got some before we tumbled to the fact that we needed to lock the ducks up in the kids' playhouse at night.)
  • I think I might have to pass on the eagle cams. The one in Pittsburgh showed an eagle bringing a cat home for its eaglets to dine on.
    I heard about that. Yesterday, on another eagle cam I watch, the mother brought in three live baby ravens to feed the eaglets. Ugh. Looked like mom probably stole an entire nest of baby ravens. Sad for that mom, but survival of the fittest I suppose. I'm kind of backing away from all of them at this point. Too hard.

• Wow. How did she carry 3 ravens at one time? That is sad. There's a shortage of ravens in my area, too. Also shortage of crows. Might be West Nile Virus, though. I don't ever see any eagles around here. It would have to be an eagle to defeat parent ravens.
  • KMMKMM Member
    We have tons in ND. Maybe she scooped up the nest itself?
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited May 2016
    Peregrine chick's health knocks falcon cam in downtown Phoenix off air
    Scott Craven, The Republic | azcentral.com 3:10 p.m. MST May 16, 2016
    Health issues involving the peregrine falcon chick roosting in downtown Phoenix led Arizona Game and Fish officials on Monday to take the webcam offline temporarily.
    It was in the best interests of the audience rather than the chick, said Randy Babb, wildlife viewing program manager.
    “We don’t want people on a roller coaster, wondering from one day to the next what’s going to happen,” Babb said. “In a couple of days, as long as the chick is recovering well, we’ll bring everything back up.”
    While Game and Fish is loath to interfere with Mother Nature, Babb said the chick was suffering from splayed legs, a common condition that is easily corrected.
    “We don’t like to interfere, but we’ve become as attached to the chick as the public,” Babb said. “That’s our fault.”
    Once the chick was removed, it was put through a thorough examination including X-rays. Vets also managed to attach tiny splints to each leg, assisting the healing process.
    While the chick was out, Game and Fish officials changed the flooring of the roosting box at the top of the Maricopa County administration building. The new surface will allow the chick to get a better grip.
    The chick may not be out of the woods yet, Babb said. Officials noticed it was falling on its back, a possible sign of a congenital problem. If it persists, the chick may be removed again for further examination. If conditions warrant, the chick could be raised in captivity.
    “We’re in contact with experts across Arizona and the country,” Babb said. “We’re investing a lot of time and effort in this little guy. We want the best possible outcome.”
    The chick’s hatching on Mother’s Day, May 8, was just one of the events recorded by webcam, which has been capturing the life and times of a falcon couple roosting downtown. A second egg was recently removed as officials determined it was not viable.
    The webcam will be turned back on once the chick’s health stabilizes, Babb said.
    “We want everybody to see how the birds are doing,” he said. “But we don’t want to be in a position to turn the camera off and on as we adjust to circumstances. It’s just best to leave it off for now.”
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/05/16/peregrine-chicks-health-knocks-falcon-cam-downtown-phoenix-off-air/84459814/
  • I was watching and was really worried about the baby who couldn't stand and the parents were obviously distressed as we all were. I'm so happy they interfered in this case. Arizona Game and Fish just released a new still photo of baby standing and being fed by mom. The chick looks great and mom looks as loving as ever. Hope things continue to progress and we will get the live stream back soon. The photo is on their Facebook page.
  • Thanks for these comments. I was wondering what was going on. The post on the page was hard to follow. Life certainly likes to throw curve balls, it seems. Glad the Game and Fish people have lent their aid.
  • KetaKeta Member
    And, hopefully this is the last intervention.
    Peregrine falcon chick no longer needs splints
    By Jennifer Thomas Posted: May 23, 2016
    PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK) -
    A peregrine falcon chick that was fitted with splints to correct its splayed legs last week has shown so much improvement that they are no longer needed.
    Read more: http://www.cbs5az.com/story/32042812/peregrine-falcon-chick-no-longer-needs-splints#

• He's such a sweet little baby and mom was anxiously awaiting his return. Makes me so happy! I love the video at the bottom of the article. Thanks Keta!
  • More heartache at the Decorah North Nest of Bald Eagles I've been watching on Explore.org. First the youngest died which I mentioned earlier and now there has been an apparent poisoning which has killed a second Eaglet and sickened the mother. This has been excruciating to watch but hard to stop. However, they have taken the cam down for now and just removed the eaglet for a necropsy. Hopefully, they can find out what has happened. So sad to see this happen to such beautiful, majestic eagles.
    http://www.decorahnewspapers.com/Content/News/Local-News/Article/Second-eaglet-dies-at-Decorah-North-Nest-/2/10/40165