Tough Sunday

I recently just heard about this three year old Thoroughbred named Tough Sunday. Tough Sunday has a story like no other or at least stories that I have heard about race horses. Tough Sunday's dam had a difficult labor which left him without oxygen for more than five minutes. Not only was Tough Sunday without oxygen, he was born blind and deaf, along with having no nursing instinct. The owner named Nick Alexander had to make the decision on either having the foal put down or let the foal live.
Now a three year old, Tough Sunday is a California-bred colt who is a winning racehorse that is getting ready to compete in the California Cup Derby later this month. In his first two career starts, the colt broke out of the gate dead last, but pulled ahead to seal a third- and second-place finish, respectively. On Dec.  28, he came in first place in a seven-furlong race as the odds-on favorite, winning by 6  ¼ lengths his jockey was changed before this race, making his jockey be Tyler Baze. After just three career starts, Tough Sunday will race in the California Cup Derby at Santa Anita Park on Jan.  24.
My main point here is Tough Sunday is going to be a horse to watch out for in the California Cup Derby and in many more races to come.
Here are some articles on him
1. http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/20150110/top-santa-anita-racehorse-defies-odds-after-born-blind-deaf
2. http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/tough-sunday-born-blind-and-deaf-continues-to-defy-the-odds/
Here is a picture of him (he's beautiful)
http://40.media.tumblr.com/36b5580027816c3f35361f6db2c41fe7/tumblr_ni2sgr4EV31rmfyzco1_400.jpg

Comments

• He does have an amazing story! :) I hope we hear a lot more about him soon.
  • Yes. I can't wait to see him in the California Cup Derby, but I mean if he can win that race and then maybe be pointed towards the Derby (not sure), or even the Preakness and Belmont and them having him win one of those. That would go down in history!
  • Tough Sunday is scheduled to race on the 20 something of this month
  • He is scheduled to run in the California Cup Derby on the 25.
  • Tough Sunday is running January 24th in the California Cup Derby. He will be ridden by Tyler Baze. He is trained by Steven Miyadi and owned by Nick Alexander.
  • He was mentioned in another thread by someone (sorry can't remember who:) Glad he has his own - it will be fun to follow him!
  • I think it might of been me. I made this discussion for him.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited January 2015
    He was mentioned in another thread by someone (sorry can't remember who:) Glad he has his own - it will be fun to follow him!
    The original news about Tough Sunday was posted in Breaking News on 1/11/15 by QueenZFan22 on page 115. See below
    Not sure where to put this so I'm posting this here: Top Santa Anita racehorse defies odds after born blind, deaf: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/20150110/top-santa-anita-racehorse-defies-odds-after-born-blind-deaf
  • He was mentioned in another thread by someone (sorry can't remember who:) Glad he has his own - it will be fun to follow him!

The original news about Tough Sunday was posted in
    Breaking News on 1/11/15 by QueenZFan22 on page 115. See below
    Not sure where to put this so I'm posting this here: Top Santa Anita racehorse defies odds after born blind, deaf: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/20150110/top-santa-anita-racehorse-defies-odds-after-born-blind-deaf
    It was posted by Rachel as well in the Amazing True Horse Stories thread on 1/4/15:
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited January 2015
    Good catch crdolce_777...so Rachel gets credit for having the earliest posting of this amazing horse. Somehow, I didn't see Rachel's post in Amazing True Stories on 1/4/15. I was probably busy at a jobsite or getting ready for my trip. I'm playing catch up now. :oD
  • I had to go back and look for it as well, I couldn't remember exactly where I had seen it on here but knew it had been posted a couple of weeks ago. But you are absolutely right, credit should be given to the one(s) who initially "discovered" him and brought him to everyone's attention on the forum
  • There is another horse I posted about as well called Mick's Miracle
  • Well I am so sorry @crdolce_777 & @Paniolo_Gal I'm not perfect I NEVER saw anything posted about him at all until I started posting things about him so I am so sorry if I TRIED to take the credit for it cause when I was looking I did not see anything about him. So Sorry. I don't care if you two are not my biggest fans at all, but there is one thing that I try not to do which is take credit for something that I didn't do. You both are correct the credit should go to @Rachel. I made this discussion to focus on him not to get into fights about who the credit should go to, so please if your going to post on this discussion stay on topic please. I made this about Tough Sunday because of his story and about the future that he is going to hopefully have.
  • On a better note @Rachel I am sorry if it seemed like I took the credit for posting about him first, when I was looking back at first I didn't see you post anything about him when I decided to post and make this discussion about him. I fell in love with his story so I thought it would be a good idea to give him his own discussion. I hope your not mad at me for accidentally taking the credit for posting about him first.
  • 1) No one was fighting, or even close to it. Where you get that idea is beyond me. We responded to the post by PlainBays regarding Tough Sunday being mentioned in another thread by someone, and we each identified who that someone was (2 people in this case), and now they can appropriately be credited. What we said was completely respectful, and not worthy of you deciding to take it as some sort of personal attack. A simple "oops, my fault, I somehow didn't see either of those posts, thanks for the heads up" on your part was all the response required, not getting defensive or admonishing us to stay on topic. That's a whole other can of worms that I won't bother opening
    2) Considering that this thread is about Tough Sunday, and our posts were about other people mentioning Tough Sunday, they were not off topic in the first place
    3) No one had an issue with you starting a thread about Tough Sunday in the first place. Our comments were only made to clarify one small point that was brought up by another forum member. Period.
  • Sorry that I took it the wrong way.
  • Yikes! i didn't mean to start an argument! Just knew i had seen and read about it somewhere else but couldn't remember in what thread - my bad :)
  • Yikes! i didn't mean to start an argument! Just knew i had seen and read about it somewhere else but couldn't remember in what thread - my bad :)
    Not your bad at all! You were right about having seen it somewhere else, which is all we were trying to validate :)
  • edited January 2015
    Yikes! i didn't mean to start an argument! Just knew i had seen and read about it somewhere else but couldn't remember in what thread - my bad :)
    Sorry I wasn't trying to start anything either. I have had a bad day so I took their comments the wrong way. I would love it if they would accept my apology for taking it the wrong way. You didn't do anything wrong at all! :)
  • @crdolce_777 like I said in my last comment, I have had a horrible day with my step dad and my mother so I have felt ganged up on all day. That's why when I saw your comments I took it the wrong way and I didn't mean to make it sound like I was attacking you and @Paniolo_Gal. I feel horrible for attacking you two the way I did, and I know that no matter what mood I am in, I shouldn't attack people like that who are just trying to clarify someone's comment. I just want you to know that I am very sorry, and I know that you have probably had those days one time or another in your life where the slightest things might make you mad or just irritate you very easily. Once again I am very sorry. This can also go towards @Paniolo_Gal since I would be saying the same things to her.

• @Rachel - in what thread did you post about Micks Miracle? I'm a sucker for feel good horse stories!
  • It was in Amazing True Horse stories. There is now a thread for him