Take Charge Brandi

Brandi just won her fourth race in a row at Oaklawn today. I have to say that I love how gutsy she is. Her owner just said in an interview after the race that it's possible she could be entered in the Arkansas Derby and then the Kentucky Derby, but it sounds more likely they'll just go for the Oaks.

Comments

• Racing legend D. Wayne Lukas trains Take Charge Brandi, one of 11 fillies nominated to the 2015 Triple Crown. Lukas trained Winning Colors, one of only three fillies to win the Kentucky Derby, and is the all-time leading trainer in Triple Crown victories with 14, with his most recent being a victory by Calumet Farm’s Oxbow in the 2013 Preakness. The 79-year-old Hall of Fame conditioner has won the Kentucky Derby four times, collected six victories in the Preakness and won the Belmont Stakes four times. Also among Lukas’ 2015 Triple Crown nominees is Zayat Sables LLC’s Mr. Z, runner-up in Keeneland’s Grade I Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity and third in the Los Alamitos Futurity.
  • Do any of the filly big races provide any points to TC trail?
  • I think I had my question answered in another thread. She needs to get points in races against boys where points are awarded. So if not enough points for Kentucky Derby may be elible for Preakness?
  • I love how this filly is running! She didn't win at Saratoga this summer, but I really liked her. In one of her later starts that I was watching online live back in November or December, the commentators were dissing her. I remember thinking... just you wait, buster. Winning is her best revenge!
  • Take Charge Brandi points to Honeybee on road to Kentucky Oaks
    By Mary Rampellini Daily Racing Form 02/01/2015
    HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – Champion Take Charge Brandi will continue on the path to the Kentucky Oaks, trainer D. Wayne Lukas said Sunday, the morning after her determined win over Sarah Sis in the $100,000 Martha Washington at Oaklawn Park.
    http://www.drf.com/news/preview/take-charge-brandi-points-honeybee-road-kentucky-oaks
  • Take Charge Brandi (Giant’s Causeway--Charming, by Seeking the Gold) – The lady is a champ. Whether you are COMPLETELY sold by her four race winning streak, or how impressive she has been in each, you have to give the well bred, D. Wayne Lukas trained filly a great deal of credit for what she has been able to achieve in the last three-plus months. She takes the race to her opponents early and often, and then is a tigress in the late stages. Staying healthy, and having her connections choose the Oaks over the Derby, are the only questions between her being one of the ones to beat on the first Friday of May.
  • Take Charge Brandi Turns in Major Work
    By Blood-Horse Staff February 21, 2015 2:41 PM
    Willis Horton's champion Take Charge Brandi posted a five-furlong bullet work in 1:00 2/5 Feb. 21 at Oaklawn Park, a major move in preparation for her upcoming outing in the $150,000 Honeybee Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies March 7.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/90275/take-charge-brandi-turns-in-major-work#ixzz3SPyuJB3Q
  • Cannot hurt her. If she is fabulous, maybe we have a filly on TC trail. If not, she increases her earnings unless trip is rough.
  • Cannot hurt her. If she is fabulous, maybe we have a filly on TC trail. If not, she increases her earnings unless trip is rough.
    I agree. I like seeing fillies take on the boys.

• She's officially pointing towards the Rebel! (Article on DRF - can't post the link now). I'm really excited to see how she does. Her Beyers may not be as good as American Pharoah's, but she seems to do whatever it takes to win. She'll also keep him honest on the front end, so he'll really have to earn it.

I can't recall the last time the male and female 2 year old champions faced each other though.
  • this is exciting to me too. Really like this filly. Anxious to see how she does
  • Take Charge Brandi to face males in Rebel Stakes: http://www.drf.com/news/take-charge-brandi-face-males-rebel-stakes
  • KMMKMM Member
    Like I said can't hurt her especially if she is in the top 3.
  • Good luck, Brandi! I love this filly...and her female family line.
  • Can brandi win this race? Immediate answer is yes.
    why can she, we"ll get to later. American Pharoah (spelt wrong) will find himself challenged by a force he hasnt had to deal with before. Most stallions are babies left to the discretion of the lead mare or left to their own defices to find a bachelor herd they might call home. If....if they are meant to lead thy will lead. Most not. So we are left with the question ....can american pharo get over on the brandi... I say no...and will tell you why. Brandi has a better pedigree then pharo...shows more finish, and will carry her pedigree further then american can.
  • I'm excited to watch her go against the boys! I wish it happened more often. In addition to what tincup said, TCB is more experienced, with 9 races to AP's 3. Plus, her last race in January will have her sharper than AP, who hasn't raced since September.
  • I'm excited to watch her go against the boys! I wish it happened more often. In addition to what tincup said, TCB is more experienced, with 9 races to AP's 3. Plus, her last race in January will have her sharper than AP, who hasn't raced since September.
    this is handicapping.
    will it result in a win , dont know, but this kind of thinking that makes this the greatest game we play.
  • I just want to see this race already
  • I think Brandi has also shown herself to be unbelievably gutsy, whereas American Pharaoh has only won when he's had a free, uncontested lead. I think that may prove to be the real difference here. I do hope her heart doesn't get broken if she tries her best and loses though.
  • She's out of the Rebel with a knee chip and will be out for 60 days. So incredibly disappointing. American Pharaoh should now be a walkover in the Rebel.