Havre de Grace

KetaKeta Member
Havre de Grace not running in Apple Blossom
Next Race to be decided

Rolly Hoyt tweeted
Apple Blossom Weights Havre de Grace 123; AwesomeMaria 122; It's Tricky 119; PlumPretty 117; TizMizSue 115; AbsintheMinded 114; more

Then Mary Rampellini DRF tweeted
Horse of the Year Havre de Grace will not run in the Grade 1, $500K Apple Blossom on April 13, owner Rick Porter said Saturday.

Mary Rampellini DRF also tweeted
HOY Havre de Grace is being considered for Grade 2, $400K Oaklawn H., or the Grade 2, $300K La Troienne at Churchill, said Porter. #oaklawn

Jerry Bossert NY Daily News tweeted later
Porter wasn't upset with the 123 pound weight assignment but he was upset giving six pounds to Plum Pretty

Comments

• It's a shame she's not running in the Apple Blossom to defend her title, but I understand mr. Porter's reasons...
    Be interesting where she goes from here.
  • Go on the Bloodhorse website and vote for Grace's mom, Easter Bunnette to be Broodmare of the Year!
  • Zenyatta ran at 129 lbs. And won. But then Havre de Grace isn't The Queen
  • I love HDG, but they should never have pulled her from the AB. She is the HOY and she should carry more. Plum Pretty got romped on in the BCLC. They are making a mockery of Grace's legacy.

• Agree with captainsmistress. Seems like the reigning HOY should be able to carry 123 and spot weight to all. This is what a handicap is all about.
  • Ok, at first I didn't really agree or understand with HDG connections decision about skipping the AB because of the weights but I went back and looked at Z's AB weights: 1. Be Fair (FL), 4/F L C H Borel, 120, D W Lukas
    2. Taptam (TX), 5/M L M C Berry, 117, W B Calhoun
    3. War Echo (KY), 4/F L S Bridgmohan, 120, S M Asmussen
    4. Zenyatta (KY), 6/M L* M E Smith, 123, J A Shirreffs
    5. Just Jenda (KY), 4/F L T J Thompson, 120, C Jones

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56304/zenyatta-faces-only-four-in-apple-blossom#ixzz1rkgX8LiR

Not sure how they came up with a 6 lb difference for HDG when Z was only 3 lb more than most of her comp in 2010?
  • It is kind of disappointing to me that Mr. Porter is making such a big deal about the weight spread because I do lean toward the idea that as Horse of the Year, she is supposed to be giving weight to her competitors - its the way to level the handicap field or at least that is how it is supposed to be. I think Havre de Grace is a gorgeous and very talented filly and feel like she could most likely win the race in spite of the weight, but what do I know? I guess he just feels slighted by the racing secretary and after all, it is his horse, but I would have loved to see her run. Like I already said....disappointed.
  • Jones/Porter aren't helping her in anyway going for a repeat HOTY next year. Their whining is ruining her reputation.

• Not sure how they came up with a 6 lb difference for HDG when Z was only 3 lb more than most of her comp in 2010?
    From my understanding, per conditions of the race in an effort to get both Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta to run, top weight was set at 123 lbs, and it wouldn't be a handicap race. Then Rachel withdrew, but top weight remained at 123.

• Not sure how they came up with a 6 lb difference for HDG when Z was only 3 lb more than most of her comp in 2010?

From my understanding, per conditions of the race in an effort to get both Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta to run, top weight was set at 123 lbs, and it wouldn't be a handicap race. Then Rachel withdrew, but top weight remained at 123.
    You're right. It was an "invitational" that year. It attracted quite an impressive list of nominees, when it was still a $5M race. Third place would still have been a pretty penny. Once Rachel withdrew, most of them went elsewhere.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Havre de Grace is at Keeneland
    Here is a great photo of her
    http://twitpic.com/9a9zxr
  • She is sublimely beautiful! What a crying shame about her sire, what a stud career he might have had!
  • Grace is gorgeous! Lovely picture; thanks for sharing.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    That picture makes her look like a Breyer model!
  • She is so beautiful. Any word on her next race?
  • She has been nominated to the $300,000 GII, 8.5f La Troienne Stakes at Churchill Downs on Oaks Day. Other nominees include Plum Pretty and Awesome Maria.

Note to Shackleford and Mucho Macho Man fans: Both are nominated to the $300,000 GII Alysheba Stakes at 8.5f (Oaks Day, May 4). Shackleford is also nominated to the $400,000, GII Churchill Downs Stakes, a 7-furlong test on Derby Day. Amazombie and Caleb's Posse are also among the nominees for this race.

Animal Kingdom is nominated to the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (GI), 9f on the green stuff on Derby Day.
  • Grace is one classy lady!!! She must LOVE her GROOMS!!!!!!

It is going to be an exciting weekend w/ those line ups.
    Excitement rages!!!
    Thanks lauraj!
  • Wow, what a beauty! She will never out do our Queen but she surely is beautiful and a great runner. I am so grateful to the owners of these super mares who let them continue to race longer than most of the boys. Grace could have been retired at the end of the year as a champion but they bravely decided to share her with us for one more year.
  • While talking about the great race mares let us not forget Rags to Riches. To run a mile and a half and beat a horse like Curlin!! What a thrill her Belmont was. Last I heard she was at Ashford Stud.
  • This is video and pictures of Havre de Grace at Keeneland this past Sunday being paraded in the paddock for Havre de Grace day. She looks great!!
  • While talking about the great race mares let us not forget Rags to Riches. To run a mile and a half and beat a horse like Curlin!! What a thrill her Belmont was. Last I heard she was at Ashford Stud.
    She is still with Coolmore, but not at Ashford. She went to Ireland prior to foaling her Henrythenavigator colt (her second foal). She is still there.
  • Lauraj, thanks for the update on Rags to Riches!
  • The aforementioned colt was born in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day. I thought that was somehow appropriate.

Oh, if anyone is interested, her first foal, the 2009 Giant's Causeway filly, finally has a name. She is now Opulence. Maybe that means she is finally recovered and will race this year. It could also mean that she's off to the breeding shed. I hope not yet. I had, and have, high hopes for her.
  • edited April 2012
    Fox Hill Farm, owners of Grace, just tweeted that Havre de Grace has been retired due to a ligament injury...
    More info: http://rockportharbor.com/2012/04/23/havre-de-grace-retired/
  • Omg! what! how awful :((