Dog Breed Guessing Games

So I am going to move the Dog Breed Guessing Game to this discussion so it doesn't get confusing on the discussion called New Pet Dogs. I am going to post the last questions I posted in the New Pet Dogs discussion so those can get answered first.

Comments

• Here is another set of questions once again just for fun
    #1.
    Our breed comes from Ireland. We appear to have been developed there in the 18th century. People believe it was a combination of English Setters, Spaniels, Pointers, and Gordon Setters that our breed was developed. The first types of our breeds were sometimes called red spaniels. We were recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1878. We quickly became one of the most popular breeds in American and a favorite in the show ring. Our popularity soared in the 1960s and the 1970s, thanks to the books and movie featuring a member of our breed named Big Red. We were even a presence at the White House during the Nixon administration. Today we are ranked 68th among the breeds and varieties recognized by the AKC. Who am I?
    #2.

Our breed was developed in the 19th century by Englishman Edward Laverack and Welshman R.L. Purcell Llewellin. Our breed was crossed with the Gordon Setter and other breeds to improve our scenting ability and speed. Today our breed has a unique appearance with our sculpted heads, athletic bodies, and long feathery tails. Our show dog version tend to be a bit larger than the field dogs of our breeds since our show dog version has a more luxurious coat and they differ slightly in coat pattern. Patches of color are often seen in our field type, but they aren't desirable for the show dog type. The show dog type of our breed is capable of hunting, but our field dog type tend to have a keener nose and greater speed. Our breed is rare and we rank 98th in the AKC. Who am I?
    #3.

Early versions of our breed came in black and white, tricolor, and red, but the Duke was said to favor our breed if we were black and tan, and that's what has prevailed over the years. In JUne of 1859 at the first official dog show, a member of our breed by the name of Dandie, took first prize for our breed. Our breed officialy took the name we are known by now in 1924. The dogs Rake and Rachel were purchased by Daniel Webster and George Blunt in 1842. These two members of our breed were the foundation of our breed in the United States. Our breed was recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1892. Today our breed ranks 88th among the breeds registered by the AKC. Who am I?
    #4.

Our breed is believed to have originated in Spain, although, like most breeds, our history is somewhat murky. The modern appearance of our breed was developed in England, probably through crosses with the Foxhound, Greyhound, Bloodhound, and later, various setters. Hunters hoped to breed in the scenting ability and constitution of the Bloodhound, the speed, elegance, and grace of the Greyhound, and the scenting ability, easy maintenance, well-developed rib cage and endurance of the Foxhound. Later on they crossed our breed with various types of setters to improve our temperament. Our breed's presence isn't really documented until the Civil War era. In 1876 a member of our breed that was imported from England which was a handsome lemon and white named Sensation, is now the emblem of the Westminster Kennel Club. The American Kennel Club recognized our breed in 1879. Today our breed is a handsome but uncommon dog, so we rank 103rd among the breeds registered by the AKC. Who am I?
    #5.

Our breed was created to be a multipurpose hunting dog in the mid-to late nineteenth century. We are also known as the German Bird Dog, and our breed is a product of crosses between Spanish Pointers and Bloodhounds. World War 2 affected the breeding of our breed. As the end of the war drew near, many breeders hid their gold, their diamonds, their artwork, their Lipizzaner stallions, and our breed if they owned us. The 1950s were a time of significant advancement for our breed in the United States. Our colorings can be ticked or solid colors. Today our breed ranks 19th among the breeds recognized by the AKC. I actually have the honor of owning one of these dogs named what? Who am I?
    #6.

Our breed was created in the late 1800s, in our breed they blended the best qualities of the Pointer, Poodle, and Foxhound to develop an all-purpose dog. We are distinguished from our cousin not only by our coat, but also by our size. Our breed is slightly larger with a longer body and our head shape and temperament is different compared to that of our cousin. Our cousin is a slightly older breed and we both have crosses of different breeds that were used to develop us. We were recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1959. Today our breed remains a well-loved hunting companion. I also have the honor of owning one of these named what? Who am I?
  • #1 Irish Setter, #2 red and white Setter, #4 Pointer, #5 German short haired pointer
  • #1 is an Irish Setter, #2 is not a red and white Setter, #3 is a Pointer, and #5 is a German Shorthaired Pointer and I own a GSP named Shiloh.
  • While on the subject of dogs....how about that gorgeous Beagle bitch Miss P who won at Westminster? My family bred and showed Beagles from the 60's until about 2001 when my mom had a stroke and the dogs were all sold or placed in good homes. We had one who did go to Westminster...I don't remember the year but his name was Intl.Ch. Pacific Casper of Starcrest; ours was the Starcrest kennel name. We had Afghans too, and had champs there also.
    OK, go back to your guessing game. I'm not all that hepped up with the sporting breeds, but many of them are fabulous.
  • @Joanna_TX I own three different sporting breeds and the German Shorthaired Pointer is one of them. He is a chocolate and white German Shorthaired Pointer.
  • Re: GSPs--anybody remember Carly and "the stack heard 'round the world"? Great moment in WKC history.
  • Those ones were a little difficult so I am just going to post the pictures of the answers.
    #1.
    http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2010/pets/migration/002262350.jpg (This is Clooney the Irish Setter who won Best in Show at the National Dog Show in 2010)
    #2.
    http://www.meniscuszine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/WKC_Sporting_Setter-English.jpg (This is a English Setter at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show)
    #3.
    http://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/gordon_setter_sniffing_pheremones_in_post.jpg (This is a Gordon Setter at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show)
    #4.
    http://photos.mycapture.com/LBPT/655171/21611784E.jpg (This is Holly the Pointer who won the Eukanuba National Championship in 2009)
    #5.
    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/12/sports/12dog-2005BIS/12dog-2005BIS-blog480.jpg (This is Carlee the German Shorthaired Pointer who won Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in 2005)
    #6.
    http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/344576/oakley-german-wirehaired-pointer-runs-handler-during-judging-sporting-group-137th.jpg (This is Oakley the German Wirehaired Pointer, he was at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in 2013)