Focusing Coz's Extra Energy Before a Race

John S is mentioning that Coz has so much extra energy, and he is attempting to have Coz focus all this energy into success on the racetrack. I think John S needs to ask Mike E Smith to teach Coz how to dance, just like he taught Coz's mother, Zenyatta, to dance before races to focus her energy. I don't know if the Mosses would be keen on my suggestion, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try to teach Coz a few steps! Dancing certainly became a big part of Zenyatta's success on the racetrack.

Comments

• Did he really teach her how to do those moves? I thought it was just something that she did naturally because in videos of her that I have watched of her at Lanes End she still sometimes does those little dance moves when walking not as dramatic but she still does them as she moves forward with the handler.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Think that was after she raced. She would have remembered antics for visitors, I think. K
  • I'm sure John has already thought about and/or tried that with Coz. And Mike Smith is not going to be jockeying Coz, at least not for his debut.

BTW . . . I have a horse who dances like that for mares or when he's extremely excited. It's not exactly fun to be on the other end of that lead line. It's not something I would teach to a horse who is having problems on the ground.
  • Good point EliRose. Never thought of being on the other end with those moves. Would take a strong person to be in that spot.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited April 2015
    Yeah. It's one of the reasons my horse is not shoed right now. He's perfect 95% of the time, but the 5% of the time when he gets himself really worked up is scary. I've been working on it but it is a very hard habit to break. Pawing but 10x more dangerous. I'm sure he did it while he was on the track, too.

Zenyatta usually didn't seem quite so aggressive as my guy, though. I'd be more worried about Coz, with his big nasty hormones, getting out of hand.

For reference, here is one of my guy's less frantic, more "digging" moments (guess what he's looking at?):

• Oh, he's really pretty! That's cute even though it looks like he is throwing a little bit of a fit. Lol! I can see where it wouldn't be helpful to encourage much of that.
  • I understand the relevance, importance, and interest of this topic and find it very fascinating but.... I don't quite understand why this warranted its' own forum discussion?
  • helenehelene Member
    edited April 2015
    You are absolutely correct, helene. Here's a link to that article.http://www.foxsports.com/horse-racing/story/catching-up-with-zenyatta-the-queen-of-horse-racing-101714
    Thanks for your input.
    Here is an article from John S, discussing Zenyatta's dance routine.

Thanks, Crazy4Z, for locating this article.
  • Another trait that made Zenyatta equally noticeable was the "dance" she showed off in the paddock and post parade, which soon became a fan favorite. But the move also served another purpose, as it allowed Zenyatta to let off some steam.
    "Zenyatta ... had a lot of energy. So it was always a matter of finding a positive way to deal with her energy," said John Shirreffs, who trained Zenyatta for her entire career. "[Jockey] Mike Smith taught her how to do the dance so she could express herself with a little bit of a physical action by doing that. Then, we learned that one of the things in the warm up was not to warm her up too much, just let her stand and relax before she went to the gate, so as she was developing, so were we learning about her."

Here is the heart of the article, from foxsports.com/horse-racing/story, concerning Mikey teaching Zenyatta the famous dance. I am not comparing Coz to his mother, I'm just throwing out an option which might help Coz to focus his energy. I think it is interesting that Coz is racing against the son of Blame, the only horse that ever beat The Great Zenyatta! I saw it happen at Churchill Downs; it was heartbreaking. Everyone was stunned. How ironic is that Zenny's son will be racing against Blame's baby? Surrounding Coz with pure white light for a safe and victorious run. Surrounding all individuals on Friday with blessings for safe trips. h+
  • My friend Jordan's little sister goes to this riding school that has quarter horses and thoroughbreds. There is this black Quarter Horse there named Twilight he has three stockings and a white face and he is huge for a Quarter Horse maybe near Zenyatta's height and he does dance moves when he is being walked from the stable to the pasture and anywhere else he goes and he has dapples as well its pretty funny
  • Horses are such intelligent and spiritual creatures, they are very creative in dealing with personal issues. How great that Twilight enjoys doing his own dance. That must be a beautiful sight!
  • In a mare it is a dance, teaching that to a stallion is encouraging him to strike...not a good idea. Zenny has a very sweet disposition, Coz did not inherit that from his mom and is already difficult to handle. Very bad idea.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    "Dancing" is the WORST thing to teach a colt who already acts up when he doesn't have a rider on board. Dancing becomes striking, which didn't happen with the Queen because a) the dance came later in her career and b)she used it before a race.

Kathleen95634, I could NOT have said it any better. I would suggest something more like dressage for him- it will balance him, get him used to switching his leads, and muscle him up.
  • I agree with @casey, seeing him do dressage would be interesting.
  • "Dancing" is the WORST thing to teach a colt who already acts up when he doesn't have a rider on board. Dancing becomes striking, which didn't happen with the Queen because a) the dance came later in her career and b)she used it before a race.

Kathleen95634, I could NOT have said it any better. I would suggest something more like dressage for him- it will balance him, get him used to switching his leads, and muscle him up.
    Agreed, but lets see how this whole racing thing goes for him. It could have been anything that 'messed him up' in the race
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited April 2015
    Being facetious right now...but he needs a seasoned horseracing veteran like Lava Man to talk horse sense with Coz. See entry in Lava Man on page 4 regarding The Gray Goose's help in teaching another horse how to jump.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I commented that Coz needs to work with seasoned horse and learn how to rate. At some point in his workouts he could use a rabbit.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited April 2015
    I commented that Coz needs to work with seasoned horse and learn how to rate. At some point in his workouts he could use a rabbit.
    Yes...I read that earlier from you. But what I was implying was (being facetious of course)❤ was to get a seasoned track "Pony" like Lava Man to be his mentor/coach and walk him through behavior and tactics on a one-on-one basis...using equine communication instead.
    The Gray Goose in Amazing True Horse Stories (page 9)... here is an excerpt from that entry posted in Lava Man's thread:
    The Gray Goose Teaching:
    After Retirement: "The Gray's legacy lives on in his grand-nephew, stallion Gideon Goodheart. Kim started Gideon under The Gray's watchful eyes. Each time Kim brought Gideon to work in the arena, The Gray would show up to watch. He stood on the bank that bordered an unfenced area, always keeping himself between the 4 year old Gideon and a mare that was out in the paddock nearby. When Kim started jumping Gideon, The Gray would come right down into the arena. The Gray listened to where Kim wanted him to stand if he was in the way. If Kim needed Gideon to jump a certain way, she would ask The Gray to explain it to Gideon. Gideon's technique would immediately change."

Reference source link:
    http://thewayofthehorse.com/images/WalnesAboutGray.pdf
    http://eventingnation.com/home/hn-today-30-years-after-she-won-rolex/
  • KMMKMM Member
    And I am strickly commenting on racing tactics, training and strategy. Ring a genetic racing bell in the boys head. They seem to be able to control him in the sense that he does not seem dangerous. Has not acted up in gate, has not flipped, has not dumped his jockey, has not bolted, has not run into a fence. I don't think his riders are afraid of him. He needs to learn the game and what his job is as a racehorse. Does he have that competive instinct and how do you wake it up?
  • His riders aren't afraid of him but his handlers most certainly are. That tells me Coz thinks about his actions - he's not going to get himself hurt.
  • KMMKMM Member
    How do you know that? I am skeptical. Kmm
  • The entire paddock incident tells me that LOUD and clear. Did you not see the way he went after John? That's an easily 1200 lb stud colt going for an old man.

They've figured out that he's safer to deal with when a rider is up top. That's easy to see.
  • Exactly. The entire purpose of the rider is because they've figured out that he is easier to control with a rider on. No one would take the time to saddle up and then put a rider on just for the short walk over to the walking/saddling area, knowing that when they entered the saddling area the rider has to dismount, the non-racing saddle has to come off and then there is more walking before saddling up again. Good grief, what a process when most walk over just wearing a blanket and are Not led by the trainer. The entire process has to be exasperating for John.
    The entire paddock incident tells me that LOUD and clear. Did you not see the way he went after John? That's an easily 1200 lb stud colt going for an old man.

They've figured out that he's safer to deal with when a rider is up top. That's easy to see.
  • The entire paddock incident tells me that LOUD and clear. Did you not see the way he went after John? That's an easily 1200 lb stud colt going for an old man.

Sorry, but I disagree. Coz wasn't going "after" John. If Coz a had wanted to hurt him he easily could have. Coz wasn't showing aggression. A seemingly incurable desire to do his own thing? Absolutely.

• KMMKMM Member
    I agree too. I posted earlier about what constitutes dangerous behavior: he has not been bad in paddock, did not have gate problems, was not hard to loaf in gate, did not dump rider, was not fractious in the lead up to rave, did not flip over. He just did not show up in his first race. My thoughts. Kmm