2015 Preakness

I know the Derby hasn't even been run yet but with some horses already pointing for the Preakness I figured I would start this discussion now.

Comments

• I've actually got tickets to the Preakness this year! It'll be just my second time at the track (I'm going to see Shared Belief at the CT Classic this weekend as my first time). I'd love to see Texas Red there, but I think the earliest he'll be back is for the Belmont.
  • I've actually got tickets to the Preakness this year! It'll be just my second time at the track (I'm going to see Shared Belief at the CT Classic this weekend as my first time). I'd love to see Texas Red there, but I think the earliest he'll be back is for the Belmont.
    @jaefathered the CT Classic is at Charles Town not Pimlico.
  • I mean at any track haha, not Pimlico in particular.
  • I mean at any track haha, not Pimlico in particular.
    Oh hahaha
  • No worries haha. I did word it ambiguously. I wonder how many horses now entered in the Derby are going to skip past the Preakness this year. I'm not sure I can imagine Baffert passing it up for either American Pharoah or Dortmund, even if neither wins the Derby.
  • Never ceases to get my blood boiling when someone's like "We're going to the Derby! We're going to the Derby! We're going to-- Naaaah we're going to the Preakness or Belmont because we want to trip up the Derby winner's game. Sorry to disappoint."
  • I actually welcome newcomers in the latter Triple Crown races. I like to see as many Derby runners return as possible, but if a horse is going to win the Triple Crown, I think they need to earn it against horses who didn't necessarily race in the Derby.
  • I actually welcome newcomers in the latter Triple Crown races. I like to see as many Derby runners return as possible, but if a horse is going to win the Triple Crown, I think they need to earn it against horses who didn't necessarily race in the Derby.
    Oh I absolutely agree. It just irks me when they gather derby points for a derby they will never run in. It's like a basketball team winning all the games just to drop out and say "Eh, I'll just try to screw the other team over by not participating." At the very last second. It just doesn't make any sense. If you're going to run in the Preakness, fine. But GO to qualifying races FOR THE PREAKNESS.

• KMMKMM Member
    I take that points might not govern after KD? Kmm
  • I get what you're saying @RebornRuffian12, but I can't really blame the owners for wanting to enter their horse in some of the most prestigious 3yo races with the highest purses. Yes, almost all of them happen to carry Derby points, but I don't think that's the reason why a lot of them enter. Some owners may not even decide until later that they don't want to enter their horse in the Derby and would be better off in a later race.

It would be fantastic if every horse who earned points went to the Derby, but I'm not sure it's that simple.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Do you have to qualify after Derby with points? Maybe not.
  • The Preakness field is limited to 14 starters. If more than 14 want to enter, then the first 14 with the highest lifetime earnings will be allowed to start. So no, there are no points involved regarding the Preakness which opens the field up to Derby starters and non-Derby starters. However, I believe that the Derby winner is given first choice to run regardless of earnings and maybe some preference is given to the other Derby starters. Not sure about that though.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks for insight. I thought you might also be able to supplement with$$ to qualify. Many may drop out too.
  • Yes, Derby winners get automatic entrance to Preakness
  • The Preakness field is limited to 14 starters. If more than 14 want to enter, then the first 14 with the highest lifetime earnings will be allowed to start. So no, there are no points involved regarding the Preakness which opens the field up to Derby starters and non-Derby starters. However, I believe that the Derby winner is given first choice to run regardless of earnings and maybe some preference is given to the other Derby starters. Not sure about that though.
    Any horse that wins the Derby has already won a boatload of cash. The winner's purse for the Derby alone is $1,200,000. This is on top of any monies won in the qualifier races.
  • From Stonestreet Farms facebook: Update: Stanford has been scratched from the Kentucky Derby and is pointing to the Preakness. https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11182289_920467821326180_7612806094166335829_n.jpg?oh=48452000b61e5b140979b19d35541578&oe=55DDB579
  • Kentucky Derby: Firing Line to Preakness:
  • International Star, who had been pointed at the Preakness after scratching from the Derby, will be sidelined indefinitely due to a knee chip. Article on DRF Live.
  • 2015 Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes - Contenders Preview:
  • KMMKMM Member
    Don't know where to post this. Cot Campbell wrote wonderful story about his memories of Summer Squall, and some touching ones of Preakness. Today's Bloodhorse.
  • That Handicapping Show: Preakness Stakes Preview: