American Pharoah

caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
I find it hard to believe that Pharoah hasn't got a thread named for him, so here it is.

I've been a fan of his since the Del Mar Futurity, and he hasn't disappointed me yet. He's impressive on the track, a love to be around, and he's also very photogenic. He reminds me a lot of the Queen in how he poses, how he handles himself and how he responds to the camera. I love watching him run- he has his ears back to his jockey, then when he gets to the front, his ears go forward, much like the Queen did. He also moves effortlessly over the track- one person used the word, fluid. He doesn't seem to have been really tested- even today. He still won going away, he was wide the whole way.

So, here is a little bit of Pharoah for all of you.

photo American Pharaoh amp Georgie-1_zpswgp7josz.jpg

photo handsome profile-1_zps3hroyp4z.jpg

photo his tail has grown-1_zpsndgnstwj.jpg

photo look whos galloping-1_zpsurjqe9vd.jpg

photo georgie giving pharoah some loving-1_zpsddned3ds.jpg

photo pharoah after his bath-1-2_zpsvfprtdlw.jpg

Comments

• slewpyslewpy Member
    Beautiful pics of a stunning horse. Hope he comes to the Haskell so I can get to see him.
  • @casey, just beautiful. Thank you!. I was going to say what, he wins the Derby and gets his own thread? Lol. Keep the photos coming. Your work is wonderful. Here's hoping the Pharoah stays sound!
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited May 2015
    Wow! He seems to have kind eyes too! What is American Pharoah's personality like Casey? Is he people/handler friendly?
  • KMMKMM Member
    Nice pics. Hope he does well!
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    yes, he's a sweetie as compared to Paynter.
  • I love your pictures. You can see his power in the action shots. And the sweet disposition in the closeups. Thanks!
  • Beautiful images Casey; a kind, soft eye. It really denotes intelligence, he really is something special, I'm sold.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    he does have a kind, soft eye.

photo soft eyes-1_zps0lv2prdj.jpg
  • absolutely love that last one
  • Casey...keep 'em coming! Your pics are much the best!
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited May 2015
    Yes...that close-up of American Pharoah just posted above is so clear in focus...I feel like I could walk up and pet his head as if he was here with me.❤
  • And of course, I love his big ears. Wonderful pictures. I'm glad he won. Jimmy Fallon's puppy predictor was right. hahaha I kind of expected him to win. I'm hoping he stays sound for the next two races. He does remind one of the Queen, but lets not forget that she beat his sire, Pioneer Of The Nile, in the Breeder's Cup Classic in 2009, and Mine That Bird beat him (POTN) in the Kentucky Derby that year. Love it.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    He has large curly ears like Zenyatta. Of course, it is doubtful if he will be as famous as she, but happy for him and his connections.
    Cute video on Bloodhorse.com of one of the team feeding him carrots. He is a very good natured gentle guy.
  • And of course, I love his big ears. Wonderful pictures. I'm glad he won. Jimmy Fallon's puppy predictor was right. hahaha I kind of expected him to win. I'm hoping he stays sound for the next two races. He does remind one of the Queen, but lets not forget that she beat his sire, Pioneer Of The Nile, in the Breeder's Cup Classic in 2009, and Mine That Bird beat him (POTN) in the Kentucky Derby that year. Love it.
    I wonder which puppy horse stayed asleep in the 'gate'? It would be too funny if the puppy had the name International Star.... LOL

• That's right! The puppy race predicted it. Jimmy Fallon held up "American Pharoah".
  • Oh, just beautiful. Thanks, Casey! This was the horse I put my hopes on after they were dashed by Far From Over's injury.

All you ear-obsessed people crack me up :) but can someone explain "curly" ears to me, because I'm really not seeing it.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    The puppy race sounded fixed to me. :) Wondered the same thing about who let the sleeping dog lie, i.e. who was that sleepy pup.

AP's fame will depend on his winning the TC. However, he'll always be remembered for his KD win and his name will go on this year's glass.
  • All you ear-obsessed people crack me up :) but can someone explain "curly" ears to me, because I'm really not seeing it.
    Perhaps the best and most extreme example of the curled ears can be found in the rare Marwari breed from Northwest India (Marwar region). But this ear characteristic can be seen in other breeds as well to a lesser extent. Here is the image of Mahakal posted recently from the Genetics thread as an example of a Marwari.

"Mahakal" (2008)
    image Marwari-image by revantamarwarihorse.com

Below is an adorable photo of a prize Arabian colt.
    You can see the distinct curl or "hook" in his ears!

"SS Van Gogh" (2009)
    image Arabian -image by www.sabankayaselect.com
  • Kentucky Derby: Carrots for Kentucky Derby Winner American Pharoah:
  • One of the stories going around the media about American Pharoah being whipped so much
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-03/american-pharoah-whipped-32-times-in-victory-david-papadopoulos
  • KMMKMM Member
    Will read your link LC. Interesting. I have been jump judge for several years in recognized eventing competitions for cross country. Rider can be disqualified for more than 3 uses of crop if horse refuses or if it appears punitive.
  • The puppy race sounded fixed to me. :) Wondered the same thing about who let the sleeping dog lie, i.e. who was that sleepy pup.

AP's fame will depend on his winning the TC. However, he'll always be remembered for his KD win and his name will go on this year's glass.
    Well, American Pharoah will not win the Triple Crown, I'm happy he won the Derby, but I don't think he's TC material. He will be a sensation at stud however, that's the big goal these days anyway.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Also, AP mig ht be the real thing. I have been skeptical. And derby was slow. Will wait and seesee. Don't what happened to CD or Haaj. Which may have been about too much travel
    K

• edited May 2015
    One of the stories going around the media about American Pharoah being whipped so much
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-03/american-pharoah-whipped-32-times-in-victory-david-papadopoulos
    Funny how they didn't complain about that in lesser known races.

Feels like they're trying to catch fire with a high profile case. From what I understand: the jockey whip is padded, so it's more like being popped on the butt, than hit. Also, a jockey WILL be penalized in the Derby if they misuse the whip. Victor Espinoza is a well respected rider who cares for his mounts and hand rides them as much as he can.... Only using the whip when necessary. American Pharaoh looked uncomfortable?? Did they see his winning photo? One ear was back, one ear was forward.... If you know ANYTHING about horses, you know this isn't a sign of a distressed horse-- this simply means he was listening for Victor's next command. The Zayats would also never put a jockey on American Pharaoh that they believe would treat American Pharaoh inhumanely; they care deeply for their horses and want them to have the most comfortable life possible. And will go out of their way to ensure this comes true (anyone remember Paynter?).

If they really want to go on about how inhumane and cruel the whip is: why not view cases of horses in claiming races that were whipped so hard they left marks? Or had an electrical shocking device used on them? How about when they've hit horses on the head, and caused concussions? Or I should note those jockeys who whip their horses until they break down, instead of pulling them up when the horse felt off. If you want to go after those kind of things: don't target a team that genuinely cares about their horses, and is actually an example of how horses should be treated in Horseracing (and equine sports in general, if you'll note). Kind of pisses me off, the person who wrote this article is completely targeting the wrong team for cause of sensation.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I think if inordinant whipping happened in the KD it would have been called by the stewards. It is on all kinds of tape. Flicking ears back and forth indicate horse is listening to rider. My experience from my girls in dressage and jumping. K