American Pharoah

Comments

• Actually, RR12, I thought they were targeting the jockey. Didn't see the Zayats mentioned. Since the jockey had never whipped AP before, it may have surprised the Zayats as well.
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, Paniolo Gal. I see those curly ears, but I don't see them on AP or Secretariat or Zenny. Maybe I need to see what a non-curly TB ear looks like for comparison, because they just look like ears to me.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    jen_bloom,
    Think the curl on AF, Zenyatta and some of the others is a slight curl on the tips of the ears. I first noticed it on AF in some pictures on facebook from the Arkansas Derby. He does have a nice pair of long ears.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Thank you RR12- you took the words right out of my mouth. Again, I wonder at how many times he was actually hit vs how many times he was shown the whip. I have watched the race multiple times but can't get a clear enough, close enough shot to actually be able to count actual # of hits. I can say that since Victor rides in CA, he is used to riding with their regulations and those are pretty specific about the number of times the horse can be hit, as well as how they have to be shown the whip first.
  • @casey, The only reason I posted the article is because the "whipping" is all over the internet and in no way was I putting down the Zayats. I reiterated that point in my reply to RR12 above plus I didn't write the article.

To most people, the thought was Victor whipped out of panic, not cruelty to the horse. On racing's big day, non-regular fans were dismayed by what they saw as excessive whipping.
  • @casey, The only reason I posted the article is because the "whipping" is all over the internet and in no way was I putting down the Zayats. I reiterated that point in my reply to RR12 above plus I didn't write the article.

To most people, the thought was Victor whipped out of panic, not cruelty to the horse. On racing's big day, non-regular fans were dismayed by what they saw as excessive whipping.
    None of us were targeting you @louisecastello, we were targeting the author of this clumsily written article. Thanks for bringing it up though, actually, because this article needs to be addressed. This person REALLY has no idea what they're talking about. And @Casey makes another excellent point: many times Victor could have been showing the whip to American Pharaoh? It's difficult to distinguish flashing a whip to a horse, than actually whipping a horse because the rods are so flexible.
    @casey, The only reason I posted the article is because the "whipping" is all over the internet and in no way was I putting down the Zayats. I reiterated that point in my reply to RR12 above plus I didn't write the article.

Louise, I KNOW you weren't putting down the Zayats. That isn't you at all

I read the article, I do not recognize the writer as a recognized sportswriter, so I wonder how trained his eyes are. Fanning the whip to the untrained eye can appear to be whipping. And my point is that just because Victor is in KY, it doesn't mean that he's going to change his style because he's there- he is used to CA regulations on use of crop and they're strict.
  • Unfortunately, now the New York Times and others are out there counting the strikes.

Just to be clear, I love Victor and I'm thrilled for the Zayats and love American Pharoah. I was pulling for Dortmund, but AP was much the best at the derby and I will, of course, pull for a Triple Crown.
    That's the downside of social media, everyone becomes an expert, and things have a chance of exploding.

Now, why isn't social media talking about the NYPD officer who was shot in the head on Derby Day and has now died? No riots, no protests.... It's sad
  • Thanks Casey and, yes, it is terribly sad about the officer who died. Very sad.
  • Everyone's trying to find a way to sensationalize something. Because it gets them good ratings. For example, tell me which sounds more gripping?

"KENTUCKY DERBY WINNER AMERICAN PHARAOH BEATEN INTO SUBMISSION??"

Or

"Random Guy Shot on Derby Day."

It's all because of ratings. Which is why things like the Ebola outbreak and the 2012 Apocalypse so needlessly gripped America.... Because everyone wants the best ratings, so they create problems where none exists or blow small problems out of proportion. Meanwhile, the TRULY terrible problems are silently going about their business whilst being drowned out of the media.
    Well, RR12- although I get what you're saying, it wasn't a random guy- it was an NYPD officer who has been called a hero, who was shot down by a low-life, multiple arrest felon......
  • That may be so, but to the rest of society: he's just a random guy. Now, KENTUCKY DERBY winner, a beautiful horse, a glamorous hero in his sport! Reporters know animal rights' activists will come flocking if someone points out something like "gets whipped too much" or "runs too hard". It's the easiest fire to light with the most minimal amount of effort. It's sad, really.
  • I don't know, I'm starting to see a lot of love and tributes for the fallen officer. I think the news is just getting out there. Gosh, he was so young, only 25, just a baby to me. Thankfully, the idiot who killed him is in custody. I'm so sorry for Officer Moore's family. It's a miracle his partner wasn't killed as well.
  • @Casey - your pictures are amazing - what a soft kind eye on him! Makes me want to root for him even more!
  • edited May 2015
    @Casey - your pictures are amazing - what a soft kind eye on him! Makes me want to root for him even more!

I still remember the first time I saw him, I thought he had the sweetest face of any horse I'd ever seen. So much so, that I wasn't sure he had the mettle to tussle in the Kentucky Derby. He has proved me wrong =)
    Yes @louisecastello- it is SOOOOO sad. I actually went to college and majored in Criminal Justice- I wanted to be a cop, so this hits home for me. I still have a lot of friends who are in, or have been in uniform, and whenever I see any officer, I tell them to stay safe. (I also thank every military person I see in uniform "thank you for your service")

@PlainBays- he does have a soft eye. In fact, I named that photo "soft eyes" because I too, was really drawn in by them.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Casey,
    Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Pharoah. From what Mr. Zayat said, he is a big pet in the barn. I watched the replay of the Derby and could not count the hits with the whip. I am sure that if Victor hit AF too many times, Mr. Zayat had a little chat with him.
  • Casey,
    Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Pharoah. From what Mr. Zayat said, he is a big pet in the barn. I watched the replay of the Derby and could not count the hits with the whip. I am sure that if Victor hit AF too many times, Mr. Zayat had a little chat with him.
    Not just that: Victor would be penalized and punished for overuse, or misuse of the whip.... ESPECIALLY in the Kentucky Derby, that race is on International Television! The Stewards would have his head on a spike for displaying such behavior in front of such a massive audience. And even if they wouldn't: Mr. Zayat would be furious with him, it's obvious that American Pharaoh is like a son to Mr. Zayat... And he wouldn't tolerate anyone, I repeat: anyone treating American Pharaoh in such a manner. Which is why this person is picking on the wrong people, he should focus more on the lower races if he really wants to make a dent in the betterment of Horseracing.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    I think Victor just got nervous and fanned the heck out of Pharoah. It did not look like he made contact even most of the time.

That really is a sweet-looking horse. Lovely eyes. Even when he was nervous in the post parade he was very contained.
  • I think Victor just got nervous and fanned the heck out of Pharoah. It did not look like he made contact even most of the time.

That really is a sweet-looking horse. Lovely eyes. Even when he was nervous in the post parade he was very contained.

Lordy, I remember when he was in the paddock and he was DRENCHED in sweat. I kept thinking "He's gonna run his race before he gets to the starting gate!". But then I recalled hearing those words somewhere before, and it suddenly dawned on me that I heard those words in a documentary I saw about Seattle Slew. Seattle Slew sweated bullets as well in the paddock before the Kentucky Derby, so that put my mind a bit at ease. I'm eager to see how the top 3 finishers take to the Pimlico track.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Think I saw somewhere that they hosed down AF right before the race. Don't know exactly when. That could be why he looked so wet.
  • I thought AP didn't have white on his face but I was happy to see that he does have a very faint star. Lovely horse.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Read a NYTimes article published before KD. Did not realize how much other owners and trainers of the best of the rest acknowledge AP is a cut above. ( sorry for cliches). K
  • KMMKMM Member
    Will post link.