American Pharoah

Comments

• caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    When D.Wayne Lukas (who trains Mr. Z) said Pharoah was the real deal, I knew that I wasn't wrong it what I had seen in him.
  • I was rooting for Dortmund or American Pharoah I think about of them are the real deal. It kind of surprised me that he lead the entire race I was hoping that Materiality would get up there an lead the race it might of set up for a head to head duel between Dortmund and American Pharoah. I knew I wasn't wrong about saying that I had seen the fact that both of them are going to become major champions. I loved Dortmund's sire Big Brown who was something special and Pioneerof The Nile was a force to be dealt with in races. I have a feeling that if in the 2009 Derby Mine That Bird wouldn't of been in the race we would be calling Pioneerof The Nile the 2009 Kentucky Derby champion.
  • KMMKMM Member
    OK. Paulick report, source of AP's speed. Article indicates damline produces speedsters and sprinters. Any part of pedigree good for Belmont distance?
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited May 2015
    His grandsire, Empire Maker, won the Belmont and spoiled Funny Cide's TC bid.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Did not research enough. Thanks. K
  • Should also note that his damsire, Yankee Gentleman, is by prominant stamina influence: Storm Cat. So there IS some stamina there, like seeds in his pedigree. I'll also add that, in the stretch of the Kentucky Derby: American Pharaoh was pulling away from Firing Line. If that stretch were longer, American Pharaoh would have kept pulling away. All the while before the stretch he was loping easily off the pace, and won without his ears pinned back. All of these are promising signs of a horse that can go further than his pedigree would suggest. However, I don't know HOW much further that is, and the Belmont has burned many a horse through sheer distance--be it stamina closer, patient stalker, or frontrunning speedball. So I wouldn't hold my breath for him, if he wins the Preakness.
  • I remember Shackleford's Preakness. He lathered like dish soap. The commentators were saying no way could he win. Guess Shackleford wasn't listening. ;-)
    I think Victor just got nervous and fanned the heck out of Pharoah. It did not look like he made contact even most of the time.

That really is a sweet-looking horse. Lovely eyes. Even when he was nervous in the post parade he was very contained.

Lordy, I remember when he was in the paddock and he was DRENCHED in sweat. I kept thinking "He's gonna run his race before he gets to the starting gate!". But then I recalled hearing those words somewhere before, and it suddenly dawned on me that I heard those words in a documentary I saw about Seattle Slew. Seattle Slew sweated bullets as well in the paddock before the Kentucky Derby, so that put my mind a bit at ease. I'm eager to see how the top 3 finishers take to the Pimlico track.
  • Darn...can't read the whipping article unless I want to take another survey. Thanks for posting however.
  • Sorry, PG. I did, too, but it was only like three questions. If I see another link, will let you know.
  • Sorry, PG. I did, too, but it was only like three questions. If I see another link, will let you know.
    Oh...only 3 questions? Then that's not so bad. I thought it was going to put me through a zillion questions like most surveys do. I'll click on the link later after I return. Thanks for sharing.❤
  • Not to stir the proverbial pot, but.....Victor came close to a TC win in 2002 and 2014. Could this be his year? Three times to charm?
  • Not to stir the proverbial pot, but.....Victor came close to a TC win in 2002 and 2014. Could this be his year? Three times to charm?
    Don't jinx it! LOL

• tincuptincup Member
    Well...speaking of Victor and Belmont. No, I better not..it can wait till after the pharo takes the preakness.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    I honestly have little doubt AP will get the Preakness . . . Baffert seems super confident, and he has incredible Preakness experience.
  • tincuptincup Member
    I agree and add that under any other circumstance the pharo would crush it. However...I think baffert was hoping for a little less effort at the wire. Gary pushing ap out two lanes may catch up in either of the next two
  • edited May 2015
    I honestly have little doubt AP will get the Preakness . . . Baffert seems super confident, and he has incredible Preakness experience.
    I'm actually still dubious. Mostly because Firing Line put up such a tough fight in the Derby. I think he might get the upper hand on the Derby winner, in a shorter race. But we'll see.

• It's also interesting that Dortmund had a colic episode shortly before Derby and may feel better this time.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Absolutely agree with the above comment...I don't believe Dortmund will be short this time. Very astute
  • I think I read somewhere that Baffert said Dortmund was prone to tummy aches.
  • American Pharoah Confidential: 5/7/15:
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Sorry, PG. I did, too, but it was only like three questions. If I see another link, will let you know.

Oh...only 3 questions? Then that's not so bad. I thought it was going to put me through a zillion questions like most surveys do. I'll click on the link later after I return. Thanks for sharing.❤
    Sorry, PG. I did, too, but it was only like three questions. If I see another link, will let you know.

I did the survey and it wasn't bad. I do think Kentucky should adopt a whip rule similar to California. I think the use of the whip puts off a lot of young potential fans. I don't like it and wish they would outlaw it completely. Don't know if Maryland and New York have whip rules.
  • The whip is there to PREVENT danger both to horses and riders. You don't want it banned or regulated.

• I think regulations must be put in place, but I have to agree with @Delamont that they shouldn't be banned. Whips aren't supposed to be used to beat a horse into submission, they are meant to urge and encourage a horse.... As well as a tool to prevent incidents on the track. With proper regulations and restrictions put in place, they can STILL be so.
  • American Pharoah Confidential: 5/8/15: