American Pharoah

Comments

• Won, Dwelt start, held up in behind leaders, 6th halfway, switched and headway between horses under 2f out, ridden in 3rd over 1f out and ran on well inside final furlong where switched left to lead narrowly near finish, won by a head

Interestingly enough another AP filly out of an irish oaks winner Peeping Fawn was third. Peeping Fawn was a third-place finisher in the Irish 1000 Guineas and a second in The Oaks, followed by four consecutive Group One wins – the Pretty Polly, Irish Oaks, Nassau and Yorkshire Oaks. She was named the Cartier Champion Three-year-old Filly of 2007.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2020
    It's interesting to follow the Pharoah foals. He seems off to a decent start at stud. It's definitely too early to declare anything definitive, but now that we have seen more of his runners (both on dirt and grass), overall they presently seem more at home on the turf. If this trend continues, I wonder how this will impact his future here in the States fee and mare wise.
  • @Lioness I think the reason for that is the Coolmore seemed to support him with their mares from Ireland/ Great Britain where the racing is mostly on turf. Remember that they heavily have been supporting War Front with those same mares and that's why he has been mostly known as a turf sire. And i think turf racing is starting to be more common in the US.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2020
    @QueenZFan22 War Front is at Claiborne but I could see Coolmore supporting AP with their turf mares. However, he had a really stellar first book of US dirt mares as well, which has yet to really produce anything on that surface (except.in Japan which is a different ballgame), and I'm not sure that he was pegged as a turf sire going into stud. Justify had had more of that hype I would say, being that Scat Daddy was known to produce for both surfaces. I still think turf is much on the back burner here and most of the US's well-bred mares are for dirt. If he keeps on the path of success and on the turf, I just hope he gets respected more akin to War Front (similarly AP has had international recognition so far) than sadly some of the other turf sires here in the US.
  • Lioness said:

@QueenZFan22 War Front is at Claiborne but I could see Coolmore supporting AP with their turf mares. However, he had a really stellar first book of US dirt mares as well, which has yet to really produce anything on that surface (except.in Japan which is a different ballgame), and I'm not sure that he was pegged as a turf sire going into stud. Justify had had more of that hype I would say, being that Scat Daddy was known to produce for both surfaces. I still think turf is much on the back burner here and most of the US's well-bred mares are for dirt. If he keeps on the path of success and on the turf, I just hope he gets respected more akin to War Front (similarly AP has had international recognition so far) than sadly some of the other turf sires here in the US.

About half of War Front’s book every year is made up of Coolmore mares. They own significant shares in the horse and supported him heavily early.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2020
    @EliRose thanks! I never realized Coolmore owned part of him, but it doesn't surprise me to learn that they are supporting him so much then.

I don't know much about War Front's early books and how they compare, but I think AP was given a fair chance as dirt sire based off of his first book, though he has had support from turf mares as well. Time will tell where he ends up as a sire I suppose.
  • There are two reasons why Coolmore supports AP, firstly, they need a good outcross for all their Galileo mares and are buying into any obvious candidates, the California Chrome colt Fort Mchenry being a case in point. Secondly Coolmore have not managed to achieve the same level of success in the states as in Europe with their own turf bred progeny so are trying to address that in anyway they can.

So far the AP progeny have not been in the top flight in Europe despite being sent top Coolmore turf mares
  • KMMKMM Member
    So Coolmore has interests in both War Front and American Pharoah?
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2020
    racingfan said:

There are two reasons why Coolmore supports AP, firstly, they need a good outcross for all their Galileo mares and are buying into any obvious candidates, the California Chrome colt Fort Mchenry being a case in point. Secondly Coolmore have not managed to achieve the same level of success in the states as in Europe with their own turf bred progeny so are trying to address that in anyway they can.

So far the AP progeny have not been in the top flight in Europe despite being sent top Coolmore turf mares

Which is the consensus in the US as well on dirt. He seemingly had a stellar first book with top US dirt mares mixed in as well with the turf mares. Anyway, what I have been getting at and thanks for confirming his level over in Europe - He seems off to a decent start, but nothing spectacular given the quality of his mares.
  • KMM said:

So Coolmore has interests in both War Front and American Pharoah?

After Declaration of War and War Command won Grp 1’s in Europe, Coolmore became more involved, and today own a substantial interest in War Front, while. Joseph Allen has said that he still retains about 30 percent of the horse and Claiborne also holds a major stake.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks racingfan.
  • Just for interest these are the AP and War Front 2yr old’s currently in training by Aidan O’Brian. Not all are named

Colts
    American Pharoah x Bon Jovi Girl; Name: Prince of Verona
    American Pharoah x Fabulous
    American Pharoah x Imagine; Name Van Gogh
    American Pharoah x Kissed
    American Pharoah x Rather Special; Name: Grand Revival
    American Pharoah x Shell House
    American Pharoah x Wading; Name: Chain Mail
    War Front x Coolmore; Name: County Wicklow
    War Front x Found; Name: Battle Ground
    War Front x Outstanding; Name Jeroboam
    War Front x Together Forever; Name: Military Style
    War Front x Wedding Vow; Name: Irish Chief

Fillies
    American Pharoah x Cherry Hinton; Name: Sweet Molly Malone
    American Pharoah x Peeping Fawn; Name: Willow
    American Pharoah x Paradise Playgirl; Name: Queen’s Speech
    War Front x Maybe; Name: More Beautiful
    War Front x Misty For Me
    War Front x Wonder of Wonders; Name: Awhile

He currently also has 55 Galileo 2 yr olds in training

Welcome to the Coolmore machine!
  • @racingfan thank you! It's interesting learning about racing over on your side of the ocean. 55 Galilieos, wow!!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Didn't realize he had such a big stable, never mind 3 years old and up.
  • 119 2 yr olds and 112 older horses (3 and above) not so much a stable as machine. Basically almost all by Coolmore owned or associated stallions
  • KMMKMM Member
    :o B)
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2020
    That was bizarre. The jockey was lucky to stay on let alone win. I have been following this horse leading up to this race, and she seems to have more of the Tapit mind (and her dam) than AP.
  • One of his daughters won a 12 furlong maiden in Ireland today
  • Lioness said:

One of his daughters won a 12 furlong maiden in Ireland today

American Pharoah hits milestone with 50th winner: https://www.drf.com/news/american-pharoah-hits-milestone-50th-winner