2015 Belmont Stakes

Figured I might as well start this now that some horses will be skipping the Preakness to go straight to Belmont.

Comments

• Good idea! I posted this in Kentucky Derby comments, but should go here. Mubtaahij will stay for Belmont
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/mubtaahij-staying-stateside-will-contest-belmont-stakes/
  • I believe Frosted is also going directly to Belmont.

Materiality, Itsaknockout, and Carpe Diem are all up in the air at this point on whether they go to the Preakness or Belmont, but I get the feeling Pletcher will just wait for Belmont.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    If American Pharaoh is to win the TC, he will have his hands full in the Belmont. Too many well rested spoilers to contend with. If Frosted stays healthy, he's my early pick right now for the Belmont.
  • Who Will Win the Peter Pan Stakes?: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/unlocking-winners-handicapping/archive/2015/05/07/who-will-win-the-peter-pan-stakes.aspx

Note: Posting this here since the Peter Pan is an ideal prep for the Belmont.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    edited May 2015
    Heard somewhere today that Madefromlucky is going to the Belmont.
  • Carpe Diem is skipping the Preakness to go straight to the Belmont. It looks like Materiality might go to the Preakness before the Belmont but nothing's set in stone for him yet.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Belmont is getting complicated ( my view), but good for betters.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Should be an interesting race.

This question was asked by KMM on the "Tapit" thread, but I think this very appropriate here too. KMM had asked what Frosted's dam brought to the table for distance, the answer is she brings a lot!

Frosted's damsire is Deputy Minister, the sire of Belmont winner Touch Gold. He is also the damsire of Sarava, Jazil, and Rags to Riches - all Belmont winners. He even has a Breeder's Cup Marathon (now discontinued) winner in Man of Iron. So there should be little doubt that Frosted can get the distance.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Funny about Deputy Minister. Ive found provides almost guaranteed speed,but short in awd and needs a stamina cross. Take each horse above you`ll find the source of the distance including the buckpasser mare for touch gold. As to tapit and a lack of classic distance, Tonalist did get it last year but more to the pleasant colony mare than tapit. My op of course.
  • Should be an interesting race.

This question was asked by KMM on the "Tapit" thread, but I think this very appropriate here too. KMM had asked what Frosted's dam brought to the table for distance, the answer is she brings a lot!

Frosted's damsire is Deputy Minister, the sire of Belmont winner Touch Gold. He is also the damsire of Sarava, Jazil, and Rags to Riches - all Belmont winners. He even has a Breeder's Cup Marathon (now discontinued) winner in Man of Iron. So there should be little doubt that Frosted can get the distance.
    Actually, they still run the Marathon on the card, but not as a Breeders' Cup race. It's going to be the Las Vegas Marathon Stakes (GII) this year. I wish it were sill a BC race, but at least they didn't eliminate it entirely. Too bad it didn't exist when Sarava was running.
  • Materiality is going straight to the Belmont. Announced this morning on DRF Live.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Affirmed and Alydar in the Belmont Paddock prior to their showdown and Affirmed's success at the Triple Crown

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000J78msFTx6lQ/s/880/880/Affirmed-and-Alydar-Belmont-paddock.jpg
  • So I always try and find significance when a TC is on the line. I've been having a hard time with this one. But.......It's been 37 years since a TC. That means I was nine years old when the last one was won. There is nine years between me and my sister. She was born the year the last one was won. I have followed horse racing for many years but have watched TC races every year since my son picked out his favorite in 2002, War Emblem. Even had a shirt made for him by some friends. Now we got the same jockey with a third try in 13 years? I think God wants this guy to win a Triple Crown.
  • KMMKMM Member
    You think God picks the winners? Hope not.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Oh my...how you are gonna grow to hate me.
    Like you Ive tracked the triple for some time and think this might be the time to switch off a rider and give it to someone else. I get that mine position will not be popular, but will endeavor to make my point.
    Fact...Victor does not win at belmont...
  • KMMKMM Member
    Has Victor won a Belmont?
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited May 2015
    Has Victor won a Belmont?
    I don't think he has...yet. The best he's placed in the Belmont was 2nd with AP Valentine in 2001.

Here is his race record highlights from Equibase:
    http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=J&eID=16787
  • KMMKMM Member
    He has some really good stats, although that is a given.
  • I like what Victor said during the pre-race interview right after his horse Ironicus was scratched during a gate incident for the Longines Dixie Turf race just before the Preakness. btw...Ironicus reared in his gate and had an open wound (abrasion) on his right front knee.

The reporter was asking if Victor was disappointed in being scratched. Victor said that when a horse hurts...they stop running. It's no use to try to force them to run. "I care more about the horse than not being able to race. The horses are his livelihood so it was his duty to make sure the horse remains safe".
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    Victor seemed very careful about the whip today. He really didn't need it though.
  • You think God picks the winners? Hope not.
    No not really. But awfully strange he is the only jockey that has had three go's at it. And I realize he hasn't won at Belmont. Just hoping. I like Victor as a jockey. Can't help it. I'll be rooting for him.
  • Oh my...how you are gonna grow to hate me.
    Like you Ive tracked the triple for some time and think this might be the time to switch off a rider and give it to someone else. I get that mine position will not be popular, but will endeavor to make my point.
    Fact...Victor does not win at belmont...
    Don't hate anyone. Yes I know he hasn't won at Belmont. See my comment above.