Could Ziconic Be Our #13 TC?

This is just for fun, so please don't take this too seriously.

I've heard it said several times that Triple Crown winners come in spurts and alternate each year between a bay and a chestnut. So, we should shortly be due for a chestnut to win the TC. I know of a certain chestnut boy that has Tapit for a daddy (he tends to throw a lot of precociousness into the mix) and Zenyatta for a mommy (best of the best). I know that the connections aren't going to push him into the Derby if he isn't ready, but like I said, Tapit tends to have some quick bloomers. I think it would be awesome.

Comments

• marepowermarepower Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm liking this thought. A lot of what ifs involved. But not totally out of the question. Guess we'll have to wait and see how he runs. Anythings possible. And, if he were, the site would definitely crash!
  • I'm liking this thought. A lot of what ifs involved. But not totally out of the question. Guess we'll have to wait and see how he runs. Anythings possible. And, if he were, the site would definitely crash!
    We actually went to this year's Belmont, and I will go back if Zi is up for the TC. That would be so exciting. I used to have my doubts with Tapit's babies and distance, but one of his sons won last year and Frosted was a nice second in this years. With Zenny as a mom, I doubt distance will be too difficult for Zi. I guess we will know in a year.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    I had never heard about the alternating chestnut and bay winners. Had to check and it holds! Interesting.
  • Could he be? Yes. But will he be? I'm still at "Could Ziconic make a two year-old start. LOL But like you said "All in Fun".
  • This is just for fun, so please don't take this too seriously.

I've heard it said several times that Triple Crown winners come in spurts and alternate each year between a bay and a chestnut. So, we should shortly be due for a chestnut to win the TC. I know of a certain chestnut boy that has Tapit for a daddy (he tends to throw a lot of precociousness into the mix) and Zenyatta for a mommy (best of the best). I know that the connections aren't going to push him into the Derby if he isn't ready, but like I said, Tapit tends to have some quick bloomers. I think it would be awesome.
    Your post to God's ears, baby!
  • BetsyBBetsyB Member
    Odd that a gray has never won a Triple Crown, considering some of the very good grays out there over the decades. I know Spectacular Bid and Silver Charm came close.
  • Possible, unlikely, maybe ;)
    That would be exciting!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Odd that a gray has never won a Triple Crown, considering some of the very good grays out there over the decades. I know Spectacular Bid and Silver Charm came close.
    And Northern Dancer...only race he lost was the Derby
  • ZenyenZenyen Member

And Northern Dancer...only race he lost was the Derby
    Native Dancer, not Northern Dancer. ;)
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I can never keep those two names straight. ...a mind is a terrible thing to lose...lol
  • KMMKMM Member
    Giacomo won the Kentucky Derby in his day, but third in the Preakness, and seventh in the Belmont. (grey boy)
  • Thanks carolinarkansas and Zenyen. I was going to write that about Native Dancer but I was too bleary-eyed to focus when I read it last night. I watched Native Dancer come up a wee tad short in the Derby, charging hard from the rear. Saw him win the other two. He was my special horse back in the day.
  • I also love Native Dancer. My gray Appendix ,who is three quarters Thoroughbred and only one quarter Quarter horse, has a lot of Native Dancer blood. When his forelock is braided, he looks a lot like his famous ancestor.
  • That's fantastic.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Native Dancer, Seattle Slew, and Bold Ruler, to name a few, were overbred and are some of the causes of unsoundness in today's bloodlines. My thoughts. K
  • BuddyBuddy Member
    Native Dancer, Seattle Slew, and Bold Ruler, to name a few, were overbred and are some of the causes of unsoundness in today's bloodlines. My thoughts. K
    I've heard that about Native Dancer, but not Seattle Slew and Bold Ruler. Interesting.

• KMMKMM Member
    I have been advised that I don't back up all of my opinions. Will do that. K
  • I was under the impression that the Bold Ruler lines that were unsound have mostly been bred out (as in Ruffian's sire, Reviewer.) Bold Bidder and Secretariat are pretty sound lines IMO.

Seattle Slew definitely has contributed to some unsoundness. Physical and mental.

Mr. Prospector is one of the most hugely problematic sires. Mr. P himself had some conformation faults that carry through pretty strongly today.
  • KMMKMM Member
    They are way back in generations now. Introduced unsoundness in generations closer up. There were way too many Bold Rulers and Seattle Slews in the day...
  • KMMKMM Member
    Good comments EliRose.
  • Maybe today's debut will be the first step towards a Preakness or Belmont start.
  • That would be nice. I hope John doesn't wait too long between races.
  • I have to say, that is a concern for me too, but he has brought a horse right back...thinking of Keri Belle.
    That would be nice. I hope John doesn't wait too long between races.
  • No TC bid. Thinking summer races at Saratoga.
  • TC bid? Nay, I say. However: if Ziconic continues to improve at a VERY fast pace... He could have a chance at being a spoiler in the Belmont, methinks =) Or maybe race in a Belmont Undercard. But it would be far too short a notice for him to try at The Derby or Preakness. If I were to think big with him: I would think older horses-- Dubai World Cup, Breeder's Cup, Jockey Club Gold Cup-- would provide a worthy record.