Steve Haskin

caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
Just found this on my Facebook newsfeed from Steve Haskin

Steve Haskin
3 hrs ·
I want to inform all my Facebook friends and whoever else is reading this that I have resigned from Blood-Horse. I hope to remain active on a freelance and selective basis and continue to utilize my 46 years of experience in the Thoroughbred industry. For those who have followed my Derby Dozen and Hangin With Haskin blog, I also hope to continue these either on another reputable website or more likely on my own blog/website, which I plan to set up, hopefully funded by sponsorship and/or advertising. Details obviously are very sketchy right now, but I just want to thank everyone for all their support and kind words over the years. They have been greatly appreciated and often humbling. It will take a while for the dust to settle. I have been employed by only two companies in the last 46 years, so this is an unchartered path I am forging. For those wishing to contact me for whatever reason, you can email me at sehaskin@aol.com or send me public or private messages on Facebook or Twitter.
And, last of all, thank you to American Pharoah for sending me off on such a high note and providing me with such an exhilarating final experience, and reminding me that there is no euphoria that can compare to that inspired by a Thoroughbred.

Comments

• Godspeed Steve Haskin! I had a feeling he would retire from professional blogging once we had a TC winner.
  • I'm so happy he isn't going anywhere for long! His blogs were the best thing about Bloodhorse. Nobody does it better than he does!
  • Casey thanks for adding this Discussion. I'll miss Steve being a contributor to the Bloodhorse, but his talent can't be kept hidden, he'll emerge better than ever.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Great profile/salute by Ray Paulick

Knowledge And Passion Have Been A Winning Combination For Haskin
    by Ray Paulick , Paulick Report| 06.15.2015 |
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/knowledge-and-passion-a-winning-combination-for-haskin/
  • KMMKMM Member
    I posted it on breaking news. Oh well, not a competition. K
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I posted it on breaking news. Oh well, not a competition. K
    yes you did, but 3 hours after I had checked to see it had been posted. I felt this was important enough to warrant its own thread
  • Yeah, Casey, Steve definitely deserves his own thread!
  • You know, was going to make a discussion myself for Steve Haskin after the news. But @Casey beat me to it =)
  • Steve Haskin for racing commissioner. Seriously. The industry needs one, and I can't think of anyone who would do a better job.
  • While I was late to the news since I didn't see anything about it until this morning, I am glad to see we have it covered here at Zenyatta's forum. I'm still having roller coaster emotions about it - happy for Steve to be off on new adventures in writing as only he can do, but sad for not having the security of knowing exactly where to find him. Probably won't need to go to the Bloodhorse site any longer, but I definitely will be tuning in where ever to read the words he chooses to write on his own terms. Their loss.
  • Someone invite him to post on this Forum. Not at length, just a brief comment or two from his vast experience to help us neophytes (those of us who are) in the fandom of horse racing.
  • raceonraceon Member
    He will be greatly missed at Bloodhorse, however I wish him the very best in his future endeavors wherever they might take him. I look forward to reading his future works. And just think about how he placed American Pharoah in his Derby Dozen this year.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I hope he introduces his own unaffiliated blog.
  • I'm with you, KMM, he could do his own blog and not have to write The Kentucky Derby presented by Yum Brands ever again - lol!! He could just say the Kentucky Derby and let the sponsors blurbs go by.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Yum brands always makes we laugh! Good old free competition in America! ( albeit limited, but not a bad thing). Oh, sorry, trained as an economist, which is sometimes considered a bogus science. :)
  • KMMKMM Member
    Hope this was not a funky departure. K
  • KMMKMM Member

Knowledge And Passion Have Been A Winning Combination For Haskin

by Ray Paulick | 06.15.2015 | 5:30pm

Steve Haskin, on the beat in 2014, talking with California Chrome's exercise rider William DelgadoSteve Haskin, on the beat in 2014, talking with California Chrome's exercise rider William Delgado

Steve Haskin resigned from his position as senior correspondent at Blood-Horse on Monday, ending a popular and productive 17-year run as the magazine and website’s lead writer on Triple Crown races and the Breeders’ Cup Classic. The resignation was effective immediately.

Bloodhorse.com reported Haskin was leaving to “pursue select freelance opportunities, public relations work, and consulting.”

Haskin in an exchange with commenters below that story, said the departure was “100 percent my decision. It was just time for me to leave.”

In a Facebook post, Haskin said: “I hope to remain active on a freelance and selective basis and continue to utilize my 46 years of experience in the Thoroughbred industry. For those who have followed my Derby Dozen and Hangin With Haskin blog, I also hope to continue these either on another reputable website or more likely on my own blog/website, which I plan to set up, hopefully funded by sponsorship and/or advertising. Details obviously are very sketchy right now, but I just want to thank everyone for all their support and kind words over the years. They have been greatly appreciated and often humbling. It will take a while for the dust to settle. I have been employed by only two companies in the last 46 years, so this is an unchartered path I am forging.”

That’s the news part of this story. The rest of it is personal.

Steve came to Blood-Horse in 1998 from Daily Racing Form, where he’d spend nearly 30 years. As I recall, he started as a “copy boy” at the Morning Telegraph in New York in the late 1960s and then wound up as the librarian at what became the Daily Racing Form’s headquarters in Hightstown, N.J., when it was under the ownership of Walter Annenberg.

He wrote free-lance articles for a number of racing publications in the 1970s and 1980s, but not for his full-time employer. Years later someone said to me: “Who knew that Daily Racing Form’s editors kept one of their best writers under lock and key in the library all those years?”

The library, however, allowed him to absorb so much racing history – all of which he seemed to retain like a human computer chip. His recall of races and events he’d attended was virtually photographic. He could quote Charles Hatton and Joe Hirsch – men who wrote volumes in Daily Racing Form over the years – at the blink of an eye. That knowledge, combined with a great passion for the horses and the sport, helped propel Steve’s growing contributions as a free-lance writer to the point that a new team of editors at the Form promoted him to national correspondent in 1991. Seven years later, while I was editor of Blood-Horse and after there were more ownership and management changes at Daily Racing Form, I talked him into coming to work for a weekly magazine full-time as its senior correspondent.

It was probably one of the best things I did in my 15 years there.

Though I was working for Daily Racing Form throughout most of the 1980s in Los Angeles, I’d never met or talked to Steve. Our first conversation came in 1988, shortly after I’d been hired to be managing editor of Thoroughbred Times. He immediately ingratiated himself to me by saying, “Congratulations. That’s the job Mark (Simon, the editor) really wanted me to take.”

Steve was the New Jersey correspondent and a features writer for the now-defunct weekly, and his race reports – then as now – were filled with details from the stable area and breeding farms that other writers who spent most of their time in the press box never got.

Steve would go to ridiculous lengths for his small free-lance payments, whether it was cooling out with a horse past midnight after a late-night stakes at Meadowlands or driving to Monmouth Park at 5 a.m. to see a trainer (because he had to be at his Daily Racing Form job by 8 a.m.).

His approach to writing reminded me of the motto often associated with the U.S. Postal Service: “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

One of his herculean efforts in getting the story was almost comical.

The 1988 Molly Pitcher Handicap at Monmouth Park, featuring the unbeaten Personal Ensign, was held on July 4. That was a Monday, the day we had to have all of that week’s Thoroughbred Times camera-ready copy delivered to the printer in late afternoon. Things were a lot tougher then. Copy was usually delivered by fax, then keyed into a word processor, proofed, type-set, laid out on pages, proofed again, etc. With a late afternoon post time, there was no way we could include Personal Ensign’s Molly Pitcher in that week’s magazine.

Steve offered a solution.

There were only four opponents for Personal Ensign, so, he said, “I’ll write five different stories (approximately 1,000 words each) and send them in several days before the race.” Steve said he would then call from the Monmouth press box, as soon as the Molly Pitcher was run, with an opening paragraph of race details that could be paired with his lengthy background feature on the winning horse.

I thought he was crazy, but went ahead with the suggestion, and after Personal Ensign won the Molly Pitcher we had coverage in that week’s magazine that our competition (Blood-Horse) did not have.

Steve Haskin at Santa Anita Park for the Breeders' Cup
    Steve Haskin at Santa Anita Park for the Breeders’ Cup

No detail was too small for Steve to discover and try to fit into his stakes recaps. He relishes the background stories of the people connected to the horses he writes about with such passion.

But times have changed, and lengthy magazine stories on races that most readers have watched on television or online and read about on various websites don’t carry the impact they once did. Multiple web updates, Tweets and videos now take up the time that reporters like Steve used to spend researching a story.

Steve isn’t saying why he left, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t have something to do with how Bloodhorse is altering what it does to stay relevant as the demands of its readers change.

This much I do know. Very few people covering horse racing over the last several decades possess that combination of knowledge and passion that Steve puts into every story he writes. Blood-Horse won’t be the same without him.
    New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industryThis entry was posted in Ray's Paddock and tagged bloodhorse, Charles Hatton, daily racing form, horse racing journalists, joe hirsch, personal ensign, Steve Haskin, thoroughbred times by Ray Paulick. Bookmark the permalink.
  • If you loved Shared Belief, this is a Must Read by the great Steve Haskin

Shared Memories
    Steve Haskin Hangin with Haskin The Blood-Horse Dec. 4 20`5
    No one could imagine that a year as magical, historical, and downright glorious as 2015 could end in such tragedy. The death of Shared Belief shocked the racing world and reminded everyone just how gut wrenching this sport can be and how fragile these magnificent horses are. –
    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2015/12/04/shared-memories.aspx
  • Steve could write one of those absurd math word problems that always plagued me in my mathematical endeavors and I would find it endearing and magical and would likely end up with misty eyes. He is magical and this tribute to Shared Belief does not disappoint. I am so sad to lose Shared Belief and my heart goes out to his connections.
  • Congratulations to Steve !
    Haskin, Burroughs Named to Media Honor Roll
    By Blood-Horse Staff December 7, 2015
    Turf writers Steve Haskin and the late Raleigh Burroughs have been elected to the Joe Hirsch Media Roll of Honor, the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame announced Dec. 7.
    Haskin served as senior correspondent for Blood-Horse from 1998 through 2015. He stepped down from that post earlier this year, but still works for the publication on a limited basis, continuing his popular "Hangin' with Haskin" blog and the "Derby Dozen," his ranking and analysis of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contenders. As senior correspondent, Haskin was Blood-Horse's lead writer on the Triple Crown races and Breeders' Cup World Championships. In 2002 Haskin was honored with the Walter Haight Award from the National Turf Writers Association for career excellence in turf writing.
    Prior to Blood-Horse, Haskin spent nearly 30 years working for Daily Racing Form. He began his career as a copy boy at the Morning Telegraph in New York in the late 1960s before becoming the librarian for DRF and finally being named national correspondent and taking over "Derby Doings" from Joe Hirsch in 1994. Prior to that, he wrote numerous articles as a freelancer for a variety of publications in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Haskin is also the author of six books on racing:
    "Baffert: Dirt Road to the Derby (1999);
    "Horse Racing's Holy Grail: The Epic Quest for the Kentucky Derby" (2002);
    "Tales from the Triple Crown" (2008)
    and three entries in the Eclipse Press Thoroughbred Legends Series, "Dr. Fager" (2000); "John Henry" (2001) and "Kelso" (2003). Haskin also has the distinction of winning five American Horse Publications first-place awards in five different categories.
    "I have long admired Steve's engaging writing as well as his knowledge and respect for the history of Thoroughbred racing," said Edward L. Bowen, chairman of the Hirsch selection committee. "He ranks with the best who have ever written on racing."
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/96420/haskin-burroughs-named-to-media-honor-roll
  • What more can I say-it’s Steve Haskin at his best,
    Writes about the passion of fans (Zenyatta) & the many women who have had or are having an impact on racing.. Thanks Stave.

Why Women Will Keep Racing Alive
    Steve Haskin THe Blood-Horse 03 January, 2016
    Although this column is about the importance of the passion women bring to racing and the horses, we must begin by deviating from the intended path in order to lead up to it properly, with the help of a famous movie character in a famous movie and a link to American Pharoah.
    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2016/01/03/why-women-will-keep-racing-alive.aspx?
  • Just finished this article. I was very happy to see it already posted here. Steve Haskin has written something I have often pondered and am delighted he included so many of the people of the sport I admire. Marge Everett will always be on my mt Rushmore of owners,executives of sport.
  • Loved reading this article...Steve has a way with words and understands the special connection between horse and human. Zenny still gives me goosebumps six years after leaving the track!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Great article--good coverage of all aspects of female interest and participation and support of racing.
  • Steve did miss one of the great owners, breeders, and aftercare people-
    Madeline Auerbach
    Madeline Auerbach isTB owner & breeder (Unusual Heat), Jockey Club Member, on California Horse Racing Board
    Founder of CARMA cares model for the TB aftercare where she is Vice Chair. Regarded as CA’s most influential female
    However, it still is a great article.
    Keta