Visiting Thoroughbred Breeding Farms-A Personal Adventure!

Comments

• Sigh, those boys are so wonderfully put together! Especially Lookin at Lucky . . . Just lovely!
  • Yes...too bad they had that 1x1 inch mesh at their stall doors. I couldn't get a clear shot of these champion stallions! Sorry most of the photos of Verrazano turned out black or very blurry...only a couple of photos were salvageable.

btw...Verrazano is sired by More Than Ready...MTR put out another stunning son in Verrazano, albeit a bit dirty on the day I visited him. :oP
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2015
    Oops...my bad, Didn't proof read carefully enough. I forgot to input the sire x dam by damsire for Lookin At Lucky on his review:

Here is what I omitted:
    Lookin At Lucky (5/27/2007)
    Pedigree: Smart Strike-CAN (a 1992 chef de race sire) x Private Feeling (1999) by Belong To Me (1989).
  • @Paniolo_gal

I think Lookin At Lucky is:

Lookin at Lucky (2007)
    Pedigree: Smart Strike (1992) x Private Feeling (1999) by Belong to Me(1989)
  • Oops...my bad, Didn't proof read carefully enough. I forgot to input the sire x dam by damsire for Lookin At Lucky on his review:

Here is what I omitted:
    Lookin At Lucky (4/4/1997)
    Pedigree: Southern Halo (1983) x Woodman's Girl (1990) by Woodman (1983).
    Those are More Than Ready's relations :)
    edited August 2015
    Oops...my bad, Didn't proof read carefully enough. I forgot to input the sire x dam by damsire for Lookin At Lucky on his review:

Here is what I omitted:
    Lookin At Lucky (4/4/1997)
    Pedigree: Southern Halo (1983) x Woodman's Girl (1990) by Woodman (1983).

Those are More Than Ready's relations :)
    Double OOPS! Thanks @Zenyen and @EliRose for correcting me before editing time was over...I've corrected my posting above for Lookin At Lucky's pedigree. :oD

Gee I think I better eat dinner before I attempt to do anymore typing/research.
    My bad...real Bad! :oP
  • ASHFORD STUD STALLIONS AT THE FIRST BARN...
    GIANTS CAUSEWAY!

imageOur group now approaches Giants Causeway's stall

image Giants Causeway is found looking out his side window...It's dinner time, where is my feed!

GIANTS CAUSEWAY (2/14/1997)
    Pedigree: Storm Cat (1983) x Mariah's Storm (1991) by Rahy (1985)
    Lifetime Earnings: $3,078,989 (13 starts: 9 wins, 4 places, 0 shows)
    Background: In 1999 at age 2: won the King of Kings E.B.F. Futurity Stakes (IRE-G3), and the Prix de la Salamandra (FR-G1). In 2000 at age 3: won the Gladness Stakes (IRE-G3), the St. James' Palace Stakes (GB-G1), the Coral-Eclipse Stakes (GB-G1), the Champagne lanson Sussex Stakes (GB-G1), the Juddmonte International Stakes (GB-G1) and the Irish Champion Stakes (IRE-G1). He came in 2nd in the 2000 Breeders' Cup Classic (G1) losing to Tiznow by a neck. Giants Causeway was selected as the Cartier Horse of the Year for 2000 and was the leading sire in North America for 2009, 2010 and 2012. At one point, Giants Causeway stud fee was $300,000 in 2006! Giants Causeway is listed as a "Chef de Race Sire".

Giants Causeway's outstanding offspring:
    Aragorn-IRE (2002c), A Shin G Line (2005c), Air McCool (2005), Carpe Diem (2012c), Cowboy Cal (2005c), Creative Cause (2009c), Eskendereya (2007c), Fed Biz (2009c), First Samurai (2003c), Giant Oak (2006c), Heatseeker-IRE (2003c), Hold Me Back (2006c), Imagining (2008c), Irish Mission-CAN (2009f), Mike Fox-CAN (2004c), My Typhoon-IRE (2002f), Red Giant (2004c), Swift Temper (2004f), Take Charge Brandi (2012f), and Uncoiled-FR (2009c).

Entered Stud in 2001 at Coolmore Ireland and 2002 in Coolmore Australia
    Height: 16.1 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $85,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/giants+causeway

image Hmmm...I have visitors outside my stall, but I'm not up to meeting anyone until I get my dinner first!

imageOh...did I hear the footsteps of the guy that brings our meals? Let's hope so. I'm starved!

imageMmm...Dinner came just in time!

imageOkay...I'm up to meeting people now. I think my right profile is my better side.

image Now...that I'm warmed up...I'm ready for my close-up.

imageWhat, you want me to pose showing my left profile?...not cool, not cool at all!

image Above is a conformation photo of Giants Causeway from Coolmore.com

Giants Causeway looks like two different horses depending on which side you view him. Here is a good video showing him and his unusual off-centered blaze. ▼
    Giant's Causeway video by Alec Hogg (From YouTube)

UP NEXT...MAJESTIC WARRIOR...
    MAJESTIC WARRIOR!

MAJESTIC WARRIOR (4/9/2005)
    Pedigree: A.P. Indy (a 1989 chef de race sire) x Dream Supreme (1997) by Seeking The Gold (1985)
    Lifetime Earnings: $239,229 (7 starts: 2 wins, 0 places, 0 shows)
    Background: In 2007 at age 2: won the Hopeful Stakes (G1). Majestic Warrior led both the freshman and juvenile sire lists by winners in 2012 with 30. He outpaced Street Boss who sired 20 winners and edged out Harlan's Holiday with 26 winners. Best known as the sire of 2013 Kentucky Oaks winner, Princess of Sylmar (2010) out of his first crop of foals along with his other 2010 offspring: Best Warrior, Cameo Appearance, Declans Warrior, Drum Roll, Lady Sabelia, and Seasoned Warrior.

Entered Stud in 2009 at Ashford Stud/Coolmore America
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $17,500 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/majestic+warrior2

imageHey!...Dinner is LATE! Where is dinner!

imageOh come on! Where is that guy that feeds us...Grrr!

imageFinally! It's about time! I'm starved!

imageMMMM...I'm in Heaven!

imageAbove is a conformation photo of Majestic Warrior from Coolmore.com

Here is a video of Majestic Warrior at Coolmore. From Coolmore Stud via YouTube.

UP NEXT...MUNNINGS
    MUNNINGS!

imageMunnings getting his halter adjusted...Oh Oh, something is up!

MUNNINGS (3/20/2006)
    Pedigree: Speightstown (1998) x La Comete (19996) by Holy Bull (1991)
    Lifetime Earnings: $742,640 (14 starts: 4 wins, 2 places, 5 shows)
    Background: In 2008 at age 2: came in 2nd in the Champagne Stakes (G1-8f) and 3rd in the Hopeful Stakes (G1-7f). In 2009 at age 3: won the Woody Stephens Stakes (G2-7f), the Tom Fool Handicap (G2-7f) and came in 3rd in the Haskell Invitational Stakes (G1-9f). In 2010 at age 4: won the Gulfstream Park Sprint Championship Stakes (G2-7f) and came in 3rd in the Carter Handicap (G1-7f).

Entered Stud in 2011 at Ashford Stud
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $12,500 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/munnings4

Before dinner, Munnings was getting an oral paste of a product by Merial, I believe it's NADA 141-123 (Gastrogard) to help prevent a recurrence of gastric ulcers. Poor Boy. I hope it has a pleasant taste. It might spoil his appetite for dinner.

imageOh No! Not that again...Can't I just enjoy eating dinner without that stuff going in my mouth!

imageAs the attendant maneuvers that paste in Munnings' mouth..."Easy, easy...not so rough, my mouth is very sensitive!

imageMmmm...I guess the flavor is alright...it could be worse!

imageAbove is a conformation photo of Munnings from Coolmore.com

A video of Munnings from Coolmore Stud via YouTube.

UP NEXT...THE NEWEST "ACTIVE" RUNNER AT ASHFORD STUD!
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited August 2015
    Aw, Munnings is so cute! He's got those nice "kiss spots" on his muzzle.
    Haha, Remy LOVES his Ulcergard. It's got a nice apple taste :)
  • KMMKMM Member
    Kiss spots as in grey spots?
  • Yep!
  • MEET THE SMALLEST & NEWEST "RUNNER" AT ASHFORD STUD!

As Sean led us out of the first Stallion Barn to head on to another site at Ashford...we were met by the smallest four-legged runner at Ashford Stud! It's Millie! WEEEEE!

imageDarn...wanna catch that wiggly thing they call a tail but it keeps moving out of reach!

Ahh! So much fun and energy coming from the newest addition to Ashford Stud! The owner of the puppy said Millie was a black & tan Jack Russell Terrier...but I have my doubts because of the size of her paws. Anyone who knows their dogs have any idea what kind of breed Millie is?

imageWhat's inside that crack in the ground!

imageSo this is grass? I don't know why those big horses like to eat this stuff...but it does smell good!

NEXT UP...SIGHTS HEADING TO THE ASHFORD BREEDING SHED
  • Sorry still a bit off-topic regarding horse breeding, but still Ashford Farm related...
    More on "Millie the Pup!"

I guess no one else had an idea of what this puppy's breed actually is. I did research Black and Tan Jack Russell, and surprise! I found such a breed! It is called a Euro Russell or Irish Black and Tan Jack Russell! I guess we learn something new everyday. :oD

From YouTube

Here's a link with photos from a breeder-Aislinge Bray Terriers for reference:
    http://www.aislingebray.com/
    edited August 2015
    SIGHTS HEADING OUT TO THE ASHFORD BREEDING SHED...

imageMore beautiful landscaped pathways while heading to the breeding shed and the second Stallion Barn. Here you can see a diverting pathway at the overpass incase more than one horse is walking by. Notice the use of the rubber pavers made out of recycled tires, along the pathways which provides the horses a comfortable yet durable footing as they walk.

imageThe path we took leading to the Ashford Breeding Shed

USING LANDSCAPE TO CREATE NATURAL VISUAL SEPERATION
    In these photos, notice how the landscape Architect, Bill Henkel of Henkel Denmark, uses trees, bushes, shrubs and perennials not only to provide a pleasant, relaxed environment, the landscaping is used to subtly guide the eyes of visitors and horses as they walk along the pathways. Strategically located trees, shrubs and pathways are also employed not only as windblocks, but as a natural separation of space at the same time. The landscape layout truly helps prevent other horses (stallions & mares) from seeing one another as they are led by. Another consideration when using landscaping, is to keep the horses safe so it was important that the landscape assumes a secondary role and does not overpower the environment where it can startle the equines. It is truly an art form using elements of nature.
    https://www.facebook.com/henkeldenmark/posts/10152925707900077
    https://www.facebook.com/henkeldenmark/photos/a.10153018713880077.1073741828.460666910076/10153018714310077/?type=1&theater

imageHere up close, you get a feel for how effective Henkel's landscaping diverts the eyes away from the breeding shed...

imageWhile standing at the overpass walkway (bridge) leading back to the first stallion barn...You can see how the strategically located slim-profiled evergreen trees provide an aesthetic privacy screen when other horses are led to their stalls from other parts of the property.

Below is a reference photo shot from the viewing tower above the breeding shed to give an aerial layout of the landscaped pathways leading to and from the breeding shed and elsewhere on the property. You can see how two stallions are kept away from each other as they traverse the pathways.
    image    ▲Photo www.aidanobrienfansite.com

NEXT UP...VISITING ASHFORD STUD'S BREEDING SHED...
  • Your photos are great! Can I ask what kind of camera your using?
    edited August 2015
    Oh I just use a simple Canon PowerShot Elph camera...but it's a bit difficult getting good photos indoors especially when there is sun glaring from behind the subject. The next set of photos are indoors so they are not too good. :oP

I don't want to use a force flash when it comes to taking photos of the horses in their stalls as it can startle them.

Oh...forgot, my husband has I believe, a larger Nikon camera but he's asleep right now...it's 1:45am here in Honolulu so I can't check what model camera he has. Unfortunately, he's learning how to use his new camera which he got just before the trip and some of his photos might have vertical distortion as shown in a few of the interior barn shots in earlier posts.
  • SIGHTS INSIDE THE BREEDING SHED...

imageAs we stepped into Ashford's breeding shed, this is what we found...

The footing inside the breeding shed was very "cushy" as we stepped in. Sean informed us that they use recycled, shredded rubber tires in this breeding barn. It felt like walking on a mattress which I guess is another material used to keep the horses safe if they stumble, fall during the covering process. Instead of using shavings to create the "standard mound", Ashford builds up the flooring and tops it off with thick carpeting and it appears they add layers of the carpet to increase the height of the mound.

imageA close-up view of the charcoal grey slivers of shredded rubber as the footing material.

imageThe view inside the breeding shed towards the mare's prep area.

imageThe use of carpet to add height to the mound. Notice the extra rolls of carpet in the background on the right.

imageAbove the breeding area, is a monitoring room where they record the covering process as part of documentation. According to Sean, the video recording is done without sound. I guess during intense moments, the noises from the exciting horses and strong verbiage from the attendants can get out of hand...but this is only an assumption.

imageAnother view of the monitoring rooms above the breeding area which gives us an idea of the interior height of this barn. Notice the safety helmets & protective vests used by the handlers during the covering process.

On the right end of the shed, you see reddish rubber tiles with a firmer 3" to 4" thick platform (perhaps made of hard rubber) with two cut-outs for the mare's rear legs. Sean said this particular platform is used for the older stallions like Tale of the Cat (1994) who tends to cover under the mare. In otherwords, he tends to project below the mare's vulva. The added height helps him to get proper mounting alignment with the mare. The cut-outs also help to plant the mare's rear hooves and prevents her from shifting and lifting her hooves. The angled blue padding for the mare's neck and head is similar to what we had earlier seen at WinStar.

imageAshford's very unique mounting platform for shorter or older stallions like Tale Of The Cat.

THE PREP AREA FOR THE MARES
    imageSorry for the blurry image but if you look carefully, you can see the blue padded prep station or chute for the mares.

THE SECOND BREEDING AREA...
    As in WinStar, Ashford Stud has another adjacent breeding area which can be opened or closed using double pocket doors, depending on the situation. They leave the double doors open in-between coverings for airing out the barn.

imageThese doors between the two breeding areas are one of the few elements not covered by the blue vinyl padding surrounding the room.

imageThey even pad what looks like their refrigerator, possibly housing medications & specimens, etc.

imageA beautiful site looking out the side exit of the breeding barn...feels like a village pathway in Europe!

UP NEXT...HEADING OUT TO ASHFORD'S SECOND STALLION BARN...
  • HEADING OUT TO THE SECOND STALLION BARN...

imageA shady path with birds singing in the trees...a very tranquil experience as we follow Sean, our guide to our next destination.

imageMore views seen, here we find another barn and a log cabin.

Along the path to the second stallion barn, we walked by another limestone barn and an interesting single pen log cabin nearby. The log cabin looks like it is a well preserved 1800s construction using local limestone for the chimney and hewned logs with V- notched corner detailing. The mortar fill if original, might be made of mud from river clay or a plaster made from lime, but I am not sure.

An interesting article about the Pioneer Log House in Kentucky by William J. Macintire:
    http://heritage.ky.gov/nr/rdonlyres/6e2364ab-04e6-44b0-99ad-0fc7c912c1bb/0/pioneerloghouse.pdf

imageA close-up shot of the log cabin.

image Finally, we reach the second stallion barn...Very anxious to discover what would be in store for us inside...

imageThis is the view of the second stallion barn from the opposite side where there are less trees to cover the structure.

imageThe interior of the second barn appears to be more open, airy and a bit more simplistic in architectural detailing which I personally prefer.

imageThe stalls at least did not have the obtrusive 1x1 inch mesh covering the individual stall doors which made it hard to get a decent photo of the stallion.

COMING UP NEXT...DECLARATION OF WAR
  • So much interesting stuff to try to absorb in one sitting! Thanks for sharing this adventure, Paniolo_Gal!
  • LOL! Sorry to load my posts with information as we viewed the various farms...but I guess it's my nature to understand the background of these wonderful places we visit when we travel. I just love learning about background, history, etc. and sharing what I've discovered. Living on an isolated rock, we like to know more about what is out there. :oD
  • AN ASHFORD STALLION...DECLARATION OF WAR!

Declaration Of War (4/20/2009)
    War Front (2002) x Tempo West (1999) by Rahy (1985)
    Lifetime Earnings: $1,847,489 (13 starts: 7 wins, 1 place, 2 shows)
    Background: Raced in England, Ireland, France and U.S.A. In 2012 at age 3: won the Diamond Stakes (G3). In 2013 at age 4: won the Queen Anne Stakes (G1), the International Stakes (G1) and the Heritage Stakes. Also in 2013, Declaration Of War came in 2nd in the Eclipse Stakes (G1) and 3rd in the Breeders' Cup Classic (G1) as well as the Sussex Stakes (G1).

Entered Stud in 2014 at Coolmore Ireland & Coolmore Australia. In 2015 stands at Ashford Stud-Coolmore America
    Height: 16.0-1/2 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $40,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/declaration+of+war2

Poor Declaration of War was covered with a case of hives when we visited him in late May. According to Sean, our guide, they suspect it was something he ate. Sean didn't believe it was caused by insect bites as it was still rather cool and the other horses were not being affected by the insects either. Sean said Declaration of War was perfectly fine a couple of days earlier and the hives erupted suddenly. I hope by now, the vets have figured out how to relieve this case of urticaria as the summer heat can make it very miserable for anyone suffering from this sort of condition. Thank goodness, he doesn't appear to be itchy but I suspect the underlying dermis is hot with irritation. I empathize with this poor fellow as I know how it feels to have severe urticaria (hives). Perhaps a nice soak in tepid water with epsom salt & baking soda to draw out the edema?

imageDeclaration of War with his sad case of hives. You can see the welts showing on his hindquarters.

imageAlthough he is dealing with his skin condition, he willingly comes to the stall door to greet us.

image Here Declaration of War gives us a look of curiousity...possibly looking for a treat perhaps?

imageSorry, we can't feed you per our tour guide. " Drats!" Ears pinned back in disappointment.

imageEven though Declaration of War is dealing with his unsightly skin condition, you can tell he is a very handsome stallion. He was still bright and friendly with his visitors. I hope Ashford can clear his skin condition up real soon...before the hot & sticky summer weather arrives in the area!

imageIn lieu of his current skin condition, this is Declaration Of War's conformation photo from Coolmore.com

Note: Click on the blue tab "Watch on Vimeo" from this link to view Declaration of War
    Video from Coolmore Stud via Vimeo.com

NEXT UP...FUSAICHI PEGASUS...
  • Oh No, Paniolo_Gal, please DO keep loading your posts with background stuff! I enjoyed reading the link about pioneer log cabins/houses! I like learning the background of things too-it makes it much more interesting than simply, "seen it".
    LOL! Sorry to load my posts with information as we viewed the various farms...but I guess it's my nature to understand the background of these wonderful places we visit when we travel. I just love learning about background, history, etc. and sharing what I've discovered. Living on an isolated rock, we like to know more about what is out there. :oD
  • Thanks @SallyT for your positive words! LOL! When we travel, it's like taking a learning excursion. Putting it down in writing with photos helps me to remember and appreciate the trip even more. Researching the background also helps exercise my old "grey matter". I only wish I could take better photos especially when it comes to indoor/moving shots. :o(
  • Paniolo_Gal,
    I keep journals of all of my trips (I was very fortunate that my Mother took me on many!) If it wasn't for the journals & photo albums, I would have forgotten at least half of what we did!
    Well, I just got a nice (phone call) surprise for tomorrow at Saratoga- but I don't want to jinx it. Suffice it to say, if all goes well, I'll have some pics to post from a whole new perspective! My indoor and action skills could be put to the test........
    Thanks @SallyT for your positive words! LOL! When we travel, it's like taking a learning excursion. Putting it down in writing with photos helps me to remember and appreciate the trip even more. Researching the background also helps exercise my old "grey matter". I only wish I could take better photos especially when it comes to indoor/moving shots. :o(