Visiting Thoroughbred Breeding Farms-A Personal Adventure!

Comments

• Ohhhh! Excited to hear what your surprise at Saratoga will be all about! :oD
  • AN ASHFORD STALLION...FUSAICHI PEGASUS

FUSAICHI PEGASUS (4/12/1997)
    Mr. Prospector (a 1970 chef de race sire) x Angel Fever (1990) by Danzig (a 1977 chef de race sire)
    Lifetime Earnings: $ 1,994,400 (9 starts: 6 wins, 2 places, 0 shows)
    Background: In 2000, won the Kentucky Derby (G1), the Wood Memorial Stakes (G2), the San Felipe Stakes (G2) and the Jerome Handicap (G3). He came in 2nd in the 2000 Preakness Stakes (G2). In 2000 Fusaichi Pegasus was sold to Coolmore Stud for a record $60 million dollars. His best performers are: Bandini (2002c) $676,380, (Champ Pegasus (2006c) $1,052,520, Dream Liner-JPN (2006c) ¥105,846,000=$848,354, Fifty Oner (2002g) $1,287,830, Final Score (2005c) ¥145,809,000=$1,168,656, Fusaichi Seven-JPN (2006c) ¥149,482,000=$1,126,041, Gaburin-AUS (2002c) ¥163,575,000=$1,311,050, Haradasun-AUS (2003c) A$2,731,170=$1,998,807, Imbarco (2006c) ¥218,383,000=$1,750,335, International Star (2012c) $1,010,979, and Roman Ruler (2002c) $1,220,800.

Entered Stud in 2001 at Ashford-Coolmore America & shuttled to Coolmore-Australia
    Height: 16.1-1/2 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $7,500 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/fusaichi+pegasus

LOL! We could only get Fusaichi Pegasus with half his face in his feeder. We waited for him to come up for air in-between eating to show us his beautiful head...but no luck.

imageHere we find Fusaichi Pegasus in deep concentration enjoying his dinner. Hello FuPeg! "Shhh!...I'm eating!"

imageBut don't you want to meet your audience? "Sorry, not right now...I'm in the midst of eating my long awaited meal!"

imageThis is Fusaichi Pegasus's Conformation photo from www.coolmore.com

From Ashford Stud-Coolmore America via YouTube

NEXT UP...SHANGHAI BOBBY...
  • KMMKMM Member
    Isn't tomorrow Irish- American day at Saratoga? Wish I could go. Lots of Irish in my genes on both sides and I am a Kathleen. :) The Irish are so connected to horses, especially thoroughbreds, and racing throughout history. :)
  • Yes it is! I'm very Irish as well. I don't know what special events will be going on, but I'll let you know. Maybe I'll have extra luck! There's a steeple chase, but no Irish horses are entered in that race.
    Isn't tomorrow Irish- American day at Saratoga? Wish I could go. Lots of Irish in my genes on both sides and I am a Kathleen. :) The Irish are so connected to horses, especially thoroughbreds, and racing throughout history. :)
  • WOW! FUSAICHI PEGASUS sold to Coolmore for 60 Million, and his fee is only $7,500 ??
  • WOW! FUSAICHI PEGASUS sold to Coolmore for 60 Million, and his fee is only $7,500 ??
    Yeah...surprising for FuPeg isn't it. I guess it's also the popularity trend of the stallion, but he has current progeny like International Star running well this year. But...I notice the stud fees across the board are lower at Ashford than those shown at WinStar and Claiborne.
    http://dcnlwrqm07ez3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015_Ashford_Fees.pdf
  • Lookin at Lucky's stud fee is surprisingly low, too.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2015
    This is the new future home for American Pharoah as a star billing for Ashford next year. Giant's Causeway (1997 chef de race sire) is getting old and they just retired Thunder Gulch (1992) this year so it is opportune for Ashford/Coolmore to bring in young new blood with stellar performance records...let's see how AP does in the breeding shed. I do however, like Declaration of War...Poor guy had that skin condition in May.
    FuPeg has been at stud a long time; his fee reflects what the market will bear. As a stallion, he is so-so. His get aren't especially popular at sales, and he sires useful race horses but not a whole bunch of top-flight stakes winners. He is turning out to be a decent broodmare sire.
    edited August 2015
    AN ASHFORD STALLION...SHANGHAI BOBBY

imageHmmm...We were intrigued to see if Shanghai Bobby is a black or a dark bay.

SHANGHAI BOBBY (2/27/2010)
    Harlan's Holiday (1999) x Steelin' (2004) by Orientate (1998)
    Lifetime Earnings: $1,857,000 (8 starts: 6 wins, 1 place, 0 shows)
    Background: In 2012 at age 3: won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1-8.5f), the Champagne Stakes (G1-8f), the Hopeful Stakes (G2-7f) and the Track Barron Stakes (5.5f). In 2013 at age 3: Won the Aljamin Stakes (6.5f) and came in 2nd in the Holy bull Stakes (G3-6.5f). Shanghai Bobby was named the 2012 Eclipse Champion 2-Year Old Colt. He was retired due to a suspension injury incurred in the Aljamin Stakes on 9/20/2013.

Entered Stud in 2014 at Ashford-Coolmore America
    Height: 16.0-1/2 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $15,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/shanghai+bobby

Shanghai Bobby is a tall, dark and handsome stallion. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the second Stallion Barn...it was dinner time and most of the stallions were busy enjoying their meals. Shanghai Bobby was very mannerly but the comments below each photo are only to add interest to the images...and not meant to represent his real personality. He is a very classy stallion as are all the other stallions at Ashford Stud.

imageIn this lighting, it looks like Shanghai Bobby is probably a dark bay.

image"WHAT!...I only got water! Where's my dinner of grains? "

image"Grrr...Oh come on...I need solid food!"

imageShanghai Bobby's Conformation photo from www.coolmore.com

From Ashford Stud-Coolmore America via YouTube

UP NEXT...STAY THIRSTY...
  • It's so interesting to see all your photos and information about all the stallions you've visited and I'm glad you included Fusaichi Pegasus and his devotion to his food. He is the grand-sire of my OTTB, Sugarfoot, who is an absolute food hound. That made me wonder if that's where Sugarfoot, the always hungry horse, got his love of eating. Small chance, but interesting to me nonetheless. Thanks!
  • Not sure if Fusaichi Pegasus is a real food hound, but on the day we visited him, he was so intent on enjoying his meal, we couldn't get a good full head shot of him.

I'll be out most of the day today at a client meeting so I will post another stallion that I just completed a review of. Coming up shortly...
  • AN ASHFORD STALLION...STAY THIRSTY

STAY THIRSTY (3/29/2008)
    Bernardini (2003) x Marozia (1994) by Storm Bird-CAN (1978)
    Lifetime Earnings: $ 1,936,000 (17 starts: 5 wins, 5 places, 1 show)
    Background: In 2010 at age 2: came in 2nd in the Hopeful Stakes (G1-7f). In 2011 at age 3: won the Travers Stakes (G1-10f), the Jim Dandy Stakes (G2-9f), the Gotham Stakes (G3-8.5f) and came in 2nd in the Belmont Stake (G1-12f). In 2012 at age 4: won the Cigar Mile Handicap (G1-8f) and came in 2nd in the Jockey Club Gold Cup Invitational Stakes (G1-10f).

Entered Stud in 2013 at Ashford-Coolmore America
    Height: 16.1 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $10,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/stay+thirsty

Stay Thirsty was a handsome, well mannered stallion...but he had a far away look in his eyes. Perhaps preferring to romp in his paddock. Or, thinking about that last mare he covered? The comments below are merely to add interest to his photos and not to be taken seriously.

image"Gee...that last mare was so beautiful! I hope I'll get to see her again."

image"Now I know how Palace Malice felt when Princess of Sylmar moved away...sigh!"

image"Okay...I better rinse my handsome face off with water!"

imageStay Thirsty's Conformation photo from www.coolmore.com

Note: Click on the blue tab "Watch on Vimeo" from this link to view Stay Thirsty

UP NEXT...SCAT DADDY...
  • AN ASHFORD STALLION...SCAT DADDY

SCAT DADDY (5/11/2004)
    Pedigree: Johannesburg (1999) x Love Style (1999) by Mr. Prospector (a 1970 chef de race sire)
    Lifetime Earnings: $ 1,334,300 (9 starts: 5 wins, 1 place, 1 show)
    Background: In 2006 at age 2: won the Champagne Stakes (G1-8f), the Sanford Stakes (G2-6f). In 2007 at age 3: won the Florida Derby (G1-9f), and the Fountain of Youth Stakes (G2-9f). In June of 2007, Scat Daddy was retired from racing due to a tendon injury in his right foreleg which handlers suspect had its origins in the 2007 Kentucky Derby where he finished 18th (he emerged from the race cut and bruised). His notable offspring are: Lady of Shamrock (2009f) $950,400, Daddy Long Legs (2009c) $1,348,231, Handsome Mike (2009c) $1,005,213, No Nay Never (2011c) $677,999 and most recently- El Kabier (2012c) $768,892 (as of 4/4/2015).

Entered Stud in 2008 at Ashford Stud-Coolmore America & shuttled to Haras Paso Nevado in Chile 2009-2011.
    Height: 16.1 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $35,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/scat+daddy

imageThis is the only photo that came out in the collection we took of Scat Daddy. Scat Daddy with half his face in his feed container.

imageScat Daddy's Conformation photo from www.coolmore.com

Scat Daddy's races From YouTube

UP NEXT...MAGICIAN...
    edited August 2015
    AN ASHFORD STALLION...MAGICIAN

MAGICIANIRE (4/24/2015)
    Pedigree: Galileo-IRE (2998) x Absolutelyfabulous-IRE (2003) by Mozart-IRE (1998)
    Lifetime Earnings: £1,579,292 = $2,456,999 (14 starts: 5 wins, 4 placeS, 0 shows)
    Background: Raced in Ireland, England, Dubai and the USA. In 2013 at age 3: won the Irish 2000 Guineas (IRE-G1, 8f), the Breeders' Cup Turf (USA-G1, 12f), the Dee Stakes (GB-G3, 10f). In 2014 at age 4: won the Mooresbridge Stakes (IRE-G3, 10f), and came in 2nd in the Tattersalls Gold Cup (IRE-G1, 5f), the Prince of Wales Stakes (GB-G1, 10f), the Arlington Million Stakes (USA-G1, 10f).

Entered Stud in 2015 at Ashford Stud/Coolmore-America
    Height: 16.0 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $12,500 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/magician15

Magician was our tour guide's favorite stallion since he is also from Ireland. Sean actually followed Magician out of Europe to the USA! Since he is better known in Europe than the US, it was interesting to watch his races. He was precocious as a 2-year old and has speed from his dam & damsire as they were outstanding sprinters. Perhaps after seeing how Magician's early crops perform, he might be a good candidate for our Zenyatta who has stamina in her bloodline regardless if the Magician raced primarily on turf tracks.

A hypothetical foal of Magician x Zenyatta = B (inbred to Mr. Prospector)
    http://www.truenicks.com/free-reports/hypothetical-mating/display?stallionReferenceNumber=8915275&mareReferenceNumber=7156465&mareName=Zenyatta

I asked if they would be taking any stallions outside for us to view and he said perhaps just one. But he said at least we get to see the complete roster of stallions at Ashford in their stalls. I guess you will have to continue and bear with my bad indoor photographs.

image" Oh Dear...another group of visitors." I guess I'll stick my head in my feed bucket and pretend I'm busy eating."

imageHello Magician! "Ahem...pardon me (with Irish accent) I'm still eating my dinner. Be with ya in a sec."

image"Oh Dear...they're still hanging around my stall. Hard to eat with an audience."

image"I can't fake it any longer and I guess I'll have to come out for air."

image"So what question did you have for me?"

image"Hmm...you asked how the food is here at Ashford?...Let me think."

image"It 's alright...but I wish they would serve me some of that Guinness Extra Stout beer I used to get while racing in Ireland. Sigh!"

imageMagician's Conformation photo from www.coolmore.com

Note: Click on the blue tab "Watch on Vimeo" from this link to view Magician.
    This is the longer video of two located, but more impressively shows his racing talent & his sire, Galileo.

UP NEXT...UNCLE MO...
  • AN ASHFORD STALLION...UNCLE MO

imageCompared to the other stallions in the barn, Uncle Mo looked like he could use a bigger stall. He is tall and majestic with muscles that made him look more like a warmblood than a thoroughbred. Sean, our guide said that Uncle Mo is a big guy and stood over 17 hands high.

UNCLE MO (3/10/2008)
    Pedigree: Indian Charlie (1995) x Playa Maya (2000) by Arch (1995)
    Lifetime Earnings: $1,506,000 (8 starts: 5 wins, 1 place, 1 show)
    Background: In 2010 at age 2: won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1-8.5f) and the Champagne Stakes (G1-8f). In 2011 at age 3: won the Kelso Handicap (G2-8f), the Timely Writer Stake (8f), came in 2nd in the King's Bishop Stakes (G1-7f) and 3rd in the Wood Memorial Stakes (G1-9f). Uncle Mo won his debut race on 8/28/2010 at Saratoga (6f) by 14 lengths in 1:09.21. He was awarded the Eclipse Award as the American Champion 2-Year Old Colt in 2010. His 2011-first crop of 2 year olds, are showing great promise: Nyquist, Uncle Vinny, Outwork, Gomo, Thrilled and Uncle Jimmy.

Entered Stud in 2012 at Ashford Stud/Coolmore America
    Height: 16.2 hands (more likely 17+ hands)
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $ 25,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/uncle+mo

image Yeah, Uncle Mo looked like he was having a "party" with his meal!

image"Oh the joy of eating!" ... LOL! Uncle Mo is a messy eater compared to the other stallions. Looks like he got more food on the surrounding area than in his stomach!

imageUncle Mo cleans up his muzzle with a visit to the water trough.

imageUncle Mo's Conformation photo from www.coolmore.com

Uncle Mo-From Coolmore via YouTube

UP NEXT...TALE OF THE CAT...
  • KMMKMM Member
    You make me want to restore my knowledge of these stallions pedigrees. Not enough time for me right now.:(
    edited August 2015
    There was mention of European stallions shuttling to the USA in Zenyatta's Waiting Room 2016 discussion...But Magician-IRE by Galileo is a new stallion candidate that fits the European category, who is now a resident at Ashford Stud.

He's truly a beautiful stallion and I loved watching the video of his race performances! He rated a B with Zenyatta...but I hope Magician's first crop shows promise before we cross the idea of a match up with Zenyatta. ❤
  • AN ASHFORD STALLION...TALE OF THE CAT

TALE OF THE CAT (1994)
    Pedigree: Storm Cat (1983) x Yarn (1987) by Mr. Prospector (a 1970 chef de race sire)
    Lifetime Earnings: $360,900 (9 starts: 5 wins, 1 place, 2 shows)
    Background: In 1997 at age 3: won the King's Bishop Stakes (G2), and 3rd in the Vosburgh Stakes (G1). In 1998 at age 4: came in 2nd in the Whitney Handicap (G1) and 3rd in the Vosburgh Stakes (G1). Tale Of The Cat was awarded the 2003 USA Champion 2-Year Old Sire and the 2002/2003 Champion Freshman sire in New Zealand. His top performers include Grade I winners: Stopchargingmaria (2011f), She's A Tiger 2011f), Lion Heart (2001c), Gio Ponti (2005c), Cat Moves (2006f), My Trusty Cat (2000f) and Tale of Ekati (2005c).

Entered Stud in 1999 at Ashford Stud/Coolmore-American & Coolmore-Australia
    Height: 15.3-1/2 hands
    Current Ashford Stud Fee: $ 30,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/tale+of+the+cat

The rest of the stallions were eating from their feed bin hung on the side of their stalls. However, Tale Of The Cat at age 21, had his feed placed on the ground in a pan instead. I guess he prefers to eat this way.

imageTale Of The Cat enjoys his afternoon meal. Note the wrap on his left hind leg.

imageA close-up shot of Tale Of The Cat

imageTale Of The Cat's Conformation photo from www.coolmore.com

An exciting blazing race with Julie Krone up on Tale Of The Cat with
    Durkin calling the race!▼
    Tale Of The Cat - 1997 King's Bishop Stakes from Vintage North American
    Horse Racing via YouTube.

UP NEXT...THUNDER GULCH...
  • The video of Magician was great! He sounds & looks so impressive!
    The link looks funny though- it says "Sorry, because of it's privacy settings this video cannot be played here". Some of the video links of the stallions look normal, but some others have this same message. I clicked on it anyway, and it surprised me when it did play! Now I'll have to go back & view the others that I didn't try because of their appearance/message. Something else that I now have to look forward to in your thread!
    Thank you!

There was mention of European stallions shuttling to the USA in Zenyatta's Waiting Room 2016 discussion...But Magician-IRE by Galileo is a new stallion candidate that fits the European category, who is now a resident at Ashford Stud.

He's truly a beautiful stallion and I loved watching the video of his race performances! He rated a B with Zenyatta...but I hope Magician's first crop shows promise before we cross the idea of a match up with Zenyatta. ❤
    edited August 2015
    Yes...Vimeo made the links look like a mistake by using the bold black screen with the words...SORRY!...Made it look like a broken link. But I guess their agreement was to have viewers only watch from their direct link. Unfortunately, that's why I had to put a notation to click on the blue tab WATCH ON VIMEO. I couldn't find the same video on the more user friendly...YouTube.
  • I bet the Ashford folks are thrilled with Uncle Mo's fast start. He's currently the leading first-crop sire and the leading sire of 2-year-olds.
  • You were SO thorough, and I missed the notation-Sorry about that!
    Yes...Vimeo made the links look like a mistake by using the bold black screen with the words...SORRY!...Made it look like a broken link. But I guess their agreement was to have viewers only watch from their direct link. Unfortunately, that's why I had to put a notation to click on the blue tab WATCH ON VIMEO. I couldn't find the same video on the more user friendly...YouTube.
    edited August 2015
    A RECENTLY RETIRED ASHFORD STALLION...THUNDER GULCH

imageThunder Gulch...Up Close & Personal...

THUNDER GULCH (3/23/1992)
    Pedigree: Gulch (1984) x Line Of Thunder (1987) by Storm Bird-CAN (1978)
    Lifetime Earnings: $2,915,086 (16 starts: 9 wins, 2 places, 2 shows)
    Background: In 1994 at age 2: won the Remson Stakes (G2), came in 2nd in the Hollywood Futurity (G1) and the Cosdin Stakes (G2). In 1995 at age 3: Won the Kentucky Derby (G1), the Belmont Stakes (G1) along with winning the Travers Stakes (G1), the Florida Derby (G1), the Fountain of Youth Stakes (G2), the Swaps Stakes (G2) and the Kentucky Cup Classic. In 1995, Thunder Gulch came in 3rd in the Preakness Stakes (G1). He was awarded the Eclipse Champion 3-Year Old Male. Leading North American sire in 2001.

Entered Stud in 1996 at Ashford Stud/Coolmore-America/Australia. Stood one season in East Stud in Japan (1999)
    Height: 15.3 hands
    2012 Ashford Stud Fee: $10,000 (s/n)
    Pedigree Chart: http://www.pedigreequery.com/thunder+gulch

Thunder Gulch, at age 23, was officially pensioned in January 2015 at Ashford Stud where he will live out the rest of his days at the farm. Thunder Gulch's notable offspring are: Spain (1997 filly out of Drina) $3,540,542, Balance (2003 filly out of Vertigineux) $1,048,491, Point Given (1998 colt out of Turkos Turn) $3,968,500, and Circular Quay (2004 colt out of Circle of Life) $1,505,434.

As part of my mission on this trip, I wanted to meet, Thunder Gulch and his dam, Line Of Thunder while at Brandywine (see page 10 on this discussion). But my caveat to complete the bloodline trio, was to see Thunder Gulch's sire, Gulch at Old Friends which will be posted in another thread to follow later. It was truly a thrill getting up close to touch this magnificent sire and give him some loving scratches and topline massages on his shiny copper coat!

image Thunder Gulch's conformation at age 23.

imageAnother Conformation pose for Thunder Gulch.

I'm definitely no expert, but it looks like Thunder Gulch needs to have his hooves trimmed. His hooves are pitched at an odd angle...possibly underslung?, making his pastern appear to stretch out and toes too long. But that is just my very, very amateur opinion. However, at 23 years old...he is still a very handsome stallion!

imageHeadshot of Thunder Gulch at age 23.

imageA Profile shot of Thunder Gulch's head.

image Close-up of Thunder Gulch's blaze.

imageWhat...I'm not being brought out for review to cover a prospective mare? Darn it!

Thunder Gulch at Ashford Stud from Bloodhorse.com via YouTube.

Thunder Gulch winning the 1995 Kentucky Derby from YouTube.

Thunder Gulch winning the 1995 Belmont Stakes from YouTube.

UP NEXT...A FUN TRIVIA ABOUT ASHFORD STUD
  • My boyfriend (previous farrier's apprentice) took one look at Thunder Gulch's hooves and completely agreed they need to be trimmed. So you're spot on there.