Visiting Thoroughbred Breeding Farms-A Personal Adventure!

1789101113»

Comments

• My boyfriend (previous farrier's apprentice) took one look at Thunder Gulch's hooves and completely agreed they need to be trimmed. So you're spot on there.
    Thanks for the verification @jaefeathered! Too bad I didn't notice his hooves when I was at Ashford to call this to our guide's attention. I only noticed it when I was looking at my photos. We were all so enamored just being able to be up close to this famous race warrior that we overlooked his hooves. :oP
  • Thunder Gulch is very handsome!

Some of the stallion farms have very odd trimming on their horses. WinStar in particular.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2015
    This is a better close-up of Thunder Gulch's hooves.

imageMy amateur comment from page 12: His hooves are pitched at an odd angle...possibly underslung?, making his pastern appear to stretch out and toes too long.
  • A FUN MOVIE TRIVIA ABOUT ASHFORD STUD:
    In the Movie Dreamer (Inspired by a True Story-2005), Cale (Dakota Fanning) and Ben (Kurt Russell) go to Ashford Stud to check out the studs. Cale names stallions: Fusaichi Pegasus, Giant's Causeway, Johannesburg and Grand Slam. However, the actual stallions were not used in the filming. Stand-ins were placed in their stalls instead. Since the film was done back in 2005, Johannesburg (now in Japan since 2010) & Grand Slam (who died in 2012) are no longer at Ashford. Perhaps others who have visited Lexington might recognize and name the other background scenes of the racetrack, etc. used in this movie. :oD

Here's a portion of the movie, Dreamer where they filmed a segment at Ashford Stud's Stallion Barn..watch from 5:33 to 9:12 in this video segment for the back scenes at Ashford.

In Dreamer, Giant's Causeway's dam, Mariah's Storm was the horse this movie was loosely based on. — From www.imdb.com

Here is the full movie version of "Dreamer" for those who have the time and haven't seen this movie before. I love Dakota Fanning in this movie! FYI... I've never heard of a test to check if a mare is infertile! But that's movies for you! :oD

NEXT UP...BEST TIMES TO VISIT BREEDING FARMS...
  • LEAVING THE BEAUTIFUL PROPERTY OF ASHFORD STUD...:

imageAlas...the tour of Ashford ends. Sean leads us back to the area we first met and Sean closes the gates that led to the Stallion Division of the farm.

VISITORS SEASON VISITNG BREEDING FARMS...
    Although I had no say on when our trip to Lexington would be...It was great that we had visited breeding farms before the peak season of visitors who start arriving in Lexington. I don't enjoy being part of large tour groups where it's difficult to get good photos of horses and interesting sights. I found out that July is the peak tourist season but it is rather hot during that time of year. On the other hand, later visits in the fall can be awfully cold and damp. Plus, several stallions are shuttled to the Southern Hemisphere for the September thru December breeding season and may not be around in the fall/winter months. Our timing in late May was just perfect, although many breeding farms were not open for tours, it helped eliminate my choices that would have made for an overly packed agenda with no time to relax and enjoy the sights of the region.

Below: A very short 27 second video of Coolmore America-Home to the Finest Stallions in North America Our Ashford guide, Sean is the third attendant leading Verrazano around the overpass bridge in the video. Note: Click on the blue tab "Watch on Vimeo" to view this video.

imageA photo of our Irish guide, Sean received a kukui nut
    money lei, a box of macadamia nut chocolates along
    with a "normal tip" for his time with us.

imageAs we head on out of the property, you can see that Ashford Farm has preserved several of the old stone slave fences on their property.

THIS IS MY LAST LEXINGTON ENTRY FOR THIS TOPIC DISCUSSION...
    I want to thank all who showed interest and patience in my adventure visiting TB breeding farms in Lexington. It was a great learning experience for my husband and I and a joy to see these living legends up close! I am now passing the torch over to the next forum member like @TheGoldenHayflinger or @Margaret, and others who may want to share their own photos of their trip to the "Land Of The Horse"...or other TB breeding farms in the USA or elsewhere in the world! :oD
  • Thank you SO much for taking us along on your tour, Paniolo_Gal ! I'm sure I'll be re-reading this over during the long dark winter. Looking forward to what others have to share here.........
  • Wonderful adventure. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
    I will admit, a visit to Kentucky horse farms is on my bucket list.
  • Thanks SallyT & wyominggrandma! I hope you get a chance to visit TB breeding farms in the near future so you can also share in your adventure on this thread!
    As mentioned earlier...it doesn't have to be Kentucky farms, it could be TB breeding farms in your region as well!

LOL! Where I come from...we have nothing like this on our group of isolated islands...so it was an educational treat for me as well as for my non-horse crazy husband!❤
  • This has been such a wonderful tour, Paniolo_Gal, I just hate to see the ending so soon. I will be looking forward to seeing others posting in this thread, too so I can sit here in my comfort and enjoy other's travels. Thanks so much!!
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Celeste_in_TX! I already created a new thread entitled: "My Insider's Tour of Race Trackes & Training Facilities!" which covers other TB venues of my trip. As a third topic, I have in draft, a thread for my visit to Old Friends and other TB after care facilities where I got to see Silver Charm, Little Silver Charm & of course...Gulch.

My last saga will be a review of our visit to the Kentucky Horse Park!

All these other threads will later be open to others who were able to visit these venues as well and share their photos! :oD
    edited April 2016
    NEWS FROM THE EMERALD ISLE...
    A SAD UPDATE FROM THE IRISH NATIONAL STUD:

As a prelude of my visit to the Irish National Stud back in the fall of 2014, I thought this thread would be appropriate to post the sad news about the recent passing of "Cinderella" stallion Big Bad Bob-IRE (2000c) on 4/23/2016. This black looking stallion is listed as brown and was one of the smaller stallions at the INS standing under 16 hh (15.3hh).
    http://www.stallionbook.co.uk/pls/production/osts201?pin_m=1&pin_1=1456196

Below: Catching Big Bad Bob napping under his favorite shade tree in his paddock at the Irish National Stud.
    image A 9/12/2014 photo of Big Bad Brown by Paniolo_Gal

BIG BAD BOB DIES ON 4/23/16 (A paddock accident when he ran into a fence and broke his neck). Note: word of this update was found by @louisecastello from another discussion.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/rags-to-riches-sire-big-bad-bob-dies-at-16/2068990/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

At the time of his passing, Big Bad Bob's 2016 stud fee was €9000.
    http://irishnationalstud.ie/Stallions/Big_Bad_Bob
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/big+bad+bob

Video of Big Bad Bob from INS Website via you tube

More photos to follow when I am able to gain back my health and lessen my workload...
  • Looks like in September I might be visiting the Irish National Stud as well! It doesn't look like Coolmore Ireland offers farm tours though, which is disappointing.
  • Looks like in September I might be visiting the Irish National Stud as well! It doesn't look like Coolmore Ireland offers farm tours though, which is disappointing.
    Oh that will be a great experience for you up at INS! They have, near the INS gift shop...a Japanese Garden that was designed by a Landscape Master from Japan named Tassa Eida around the turn of the century/early 1900s!

They also have a beautiful Designer brand outlet mall nearby in Kildare...called Kildare Village! Bring some extra s

I hope you get to visit the Guinness Store Front for some samples too if you are staying in Dublin! :oD

I'll see if I have some free time to post some of these INS photos to help prepare you for your visit. I hope you can "fill-in" the collection when you return. Have a Great Trip!
  • Ooohh...it looks like Coolmore does offer tours twice a week in September. I'll have to see if we can fit that in too (or instead). I'd love to see Galileo in person. Either one is going to be a blast though. Thanks!
  • Ooohh...it looks like Coolmore does offer tours twice a week in September. I'll have to see if we can fit that in too (or instead). I'd love to see Galileo in person. Either one is going to be a blast though. Thanks!
    Yes...Coolmore does give farm tours as I also made an appointment to visit, but found out, the only way to get there was: if you rented a car yourself, unless you wanted to pay a bundle for all day with a private taxi Kaching!. There were no public transportation (rails/trams/buses) that went over to Coolmore from Dublin, where I stayed at. AND...My husband was not going to "risk" driving on the wrong side of the road and "wrong side of the car". :o( I heard some of the roads along the way are very narrow so you gotta know what you are doing when driving.

You might track down @Casadaly in our forum as she went to Coolmore-Ireland a few years back (2013-2014) I think. I remember she got to meet up with Galileo and got to rub his "gums" which he really enjoys! :oD She showed some of her photos in the blog side of our website awhile back. LOL! She also has roots in Hawaii...No Ka Oi! ❤♫
  • Yeah we'll have our own driver, so that won't be a problem as long as it works with our itinerary. Looks like Casadaly hasn't been active since February though, which is a bummer.
    edited June 2016
    Yeah we'll have our own driver, so that won't be a problem as long as it works with our itinerary. Looks like Casadaly hasn't been active since February though, which is a bummer.
    Oh that's great that you have transportation lined up! It is however, a one-way, 2-1/2 hour drive down south from Dublin to Coolmore-Ireland...Where as it's a 1-1/2 hour one-way drive west from Dublin to the Irish National Stud. So it all depends on how much time you have.

Oh...just remembered, if you drive to the INS, you can detour to the Curragh Racecourse as it's nearby Kildare along the way heading up to the INS.
  • Ouch! Yeah I'm not sure where we're staying exactly, but that looks like it may be a consideration. Thanks for the tips!
  • Ouch! Yeah I'm not sure where we're staying exactly, but that looks like it may be a consideration. Thanks for the tips!
    There's a lot to see if you stay in Dublin...BEER! Trinity College (with the famous Book of Kells, home campus of Jack Gleeson from the Game of Thrones), etc. But it you can tour the country side, you see a lot of historic ruins and quaint village settings! Breathtaking landscapes & seascapes!
    Oooh I'd like to go back to revisit Ireland and stay at another city like Waterford, Limerick, Cork, etc.

btw...Waterford is close to Coolmore-Ireland I think.
    edited August 2017
    HONORING A GREAT BROODMARE...THE DAM OF THUNDER GULCH!

HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY...LINE OF THUNDER!

This is rather belated but...Line of Thunder celebrated her 30th birthday on 5/26/17. Under the care of Pam Robinson, owner of Brandywine Farm, Line Of Thunder looks amazing in her well deserved retirement!

Below: A photo of Line Of Thunder from Brandywine's twitter page-Photo by MH PItts.

Here are some photos I took of Line of Thunder when she was 28-years old back in late May, 2015 from page 10 of this discussion...
    http://forums.zenyatta.com/discussion/comment/150810/#Comment_150810

For those who totally missed this discussion or would like to revisit my May 2015 tour of this wonderful broodmare farm, Brandywine, here is the page from this discussion that begins my "rare" opportunity to get a personal tour by Pam Robinson of her amazing Brandywine facility starting from page 8...
    http://forums.zenyatta.com/discussion/comment/150345/#Comment_150345

I just received a notification from @kylea that others from outside our forum also read the postings I have done in the past and appreciated the time I spent properly giving credit to the photographer and getting Pam Robinson's permission to use Brandywine's photos from their facebook. It was a real honor to receive this acknowledgement from photographer Michelle Pitts! ❤