Visiting Thoroughbred Breeding Farms-A Personal Adventure!

Comments

• Oh @Paniolo_Gal, thank you so much for all you've shared. What an amazing trip that must have been. I'm enjoying this thread so much! <3

I hope others too, will chime in with their photos! I think this trip is tops on the bucket list for many of us here in the forum! :)
  • Oh @Paniolo_Gal, thank you so much for all you've shared. What an amazing trip that must have been. I'm enjoying this thread so much! <3

I hope others too, will chime in with their photos! I think this trip is tops on the bucket list for many of us here in the forum! :)</p>
    You betcha. I've been to Kentucky twice myself on a week-long trip, and Magali Farm in California twice. I'll have to go through my photos and see what I can share. Hopefully by the time I get that all done, PG will be done with hers. ;)
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    Loving your trip-a vicarious thrill for sure-can't wait for the next installment!!
  • MORE PHOTOS FROM MAGDELENA FARM

Meet Sandstorm Cat's 2015 foal by Curlin

image ▲Sandstorm Cat's foal trying to sample mama's snack.

image ▲Anyone want to brush out my forelock today?.

image ▲How do you like my new hair style?...it's called "Gone With the Wind".

UP NEXT...C J'S LEELEE'S 2015 FOAL BY BERNARDINI
  • @Celeste_in_TX...I hope you can find out more about Sugarfoot's background at McPeeks. I think Magdelena's philosophy really makes sense to expose foals to many people when young so they are more comfortable being handled...I think that applies to dogs, etc, too! Sounds just like Sugarfoot had this instilled in him...perhaps at McPeeks!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Off the top of my head, but there is a fairly new coalition of thoroughbred breeder farms getting together to market their farms for public consumption. I know you do these pictorial "tours" for your own enjoyment, but you exhibit talent in putting together your photos and narratives. You might want to put together such a brochure for them and market yourself. Your appeal is that your "product" is not commercial or slick, but down-to-earh, albeit well put together. It would attract the kind of folks they are trying to appeal to, in a broader based approach. My thoughts k. You have a lot of fans here.:) K
  • Thanks everyone for your interest! Don't hesitate to post your comments or if you spot an error...'cause I couldn't keep up my notes to match up with my photos on the trip.

There's more to come after this first day of touring...I will try to download photos/comments as fast as I can but please bear with me. Too many photos to sort through and decipher. :o( I have a few stud farms coming up as well!

Hint...for those who will be posting after my trip, it helps in the meantime, to prep your work on a separate word doc and copy/paste your (tinypic, ImageShack, etc.) img codes onto this word doc. Make's it very easy to organize your text/photos beforehand when the time is right to copy/paste your posting entries into the forum. :oD

Meet C J's Leelee's 2015 foal by Bernardini

imageWhat's that noise...Oh there's a few visitors outside...

imageShould I get up and greet them...hmm.

imageNah...I'd rather go back to sleep. I played around outside and I'm too tired to get up.

UP NEXT...BEST LASS'S 2015 FOAL BY GIO PONTI
  • Thanks for the compliment KMM. But I'm a dinosaur when it comes to skills needed as a webmaster. I only know the "basic tools" needed that are suited to this particular forum. There's a lot of legalities involved with copyright materials/photos if I did this outside of my personal interests.

LOL! Also...I would "need" to go on an actual tour and take my own "amateur" photos for any farm to get the nuance needed to do a report. Unless they pay for my trip. (wish) That would be great! Good idea however...but not in my current agenda.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited July 2015
    MORE PHOTOS FROM MAGDELENA FARM

Meet Best Lass's 2015 foal by Gio Ponti

imageSomeone is peeking in our stall...I think I'll stay behind mama for protection.

imageDarn...they are still looking in my stall...Let's hope they can't see me now behind mama and walk on by.

This foal brought a tear in my eye as it's blaze at the top portion reminded me of a fluffy bird's head and beak...similar to our little Angel Z Princess.

UP NEXT...REDREAMIT'S 2015 FOAL BY DISTORTED HUMOR

Meet Redreamit's 2015 foal by Distorted Humor

imageDon't you think I'm gorgeous?

imageOne of our tour group members giving Redreamit some loving scratches.

imageLaying in the stall just behind mama...ZZZZZZ!

imageHoney...we have visitors. Do you want to greet them? ZZZZZZ

UP NEXT...SOUL WINNER'S FIRE(?) 2015 FOAL
  • @Paniolo_Gal you have some great pictures. I am jealous that you actually got to see all of this.
  • OMG @Paniolo_Gal, I was just thinking how much that Best Lass's foal's blaze reminded me of Z Princess when I seen you posted the same thing! So sad. I shared in Z Princess thread today that a facebook page with her name showed her and Ruffian in the clouds nose to nose and walking side by side and she was sporting wings. Very touching.
  • OMG @Paniolo_Gal, I was just thinking how much that Best Lass's foal's blaze reminded me of Z Princess when I seen you posted the same thing! So sad. I shared in Z Princess thread today that a facebook page with her name showed her and Ruffian in the clouds nose to nose and walking side by side and she was sporting wings. Very touching.
    I was thinking the same thing. @marepower.
  • RachelRachel Member
    That curlin colt, you can tell who his daddy is! Loving the wild baby fuzz shedding he has going on on his ears haha
    You and I were on the same thought on Best Lass's foal. Yeah...when I saw that foal...I started tearing as this foal so reminded me of Z Princess's blaze.
  • That curlin colt, you can tell who his daddy is! Loving the wild baby fuzz shedding he has going on on his ears haha
    LOL! Yeah that is some real Rock Star "Punk" mane-do alright! But he/she was fun to play with at Magdelena. Sweet baby!

btw...I couldn't find this year's 2015 foal updates from Magdelena...do you have a good source @Rachel?
  • RachelRachel Member
    I dont follow the farm so i dont know
    edited July 2015
    Meet Soul Winner's Fire(?) and her 2015 foal
    This is one mare we were not sure of as her nameplate on the halter said Soul Winner's Fire, but the only thoroughbred/other breed registered by that name is found to be a 2010 thoroughbred "horse" (male) in Equineline, Pedigree Query and Allbreed Pedigree. There were no names posted on the stall wall. I wonder if this is a nurse mare? Perhaps she is wearing an old halter that once belonged to Soul Winner's Fire?...
    Soul Winner's Fire (2010 colt) is listed as owned by Magdalena Racing in Pedigree Query.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/soul+winners+fire

This very dark, maybe black mare does have a somewhat solemn, faraway look with a masculine profile. But she is a very, very sweet and friendly mare that just loved the attention when I came to talk and love on her. Her eyes brightened up and she pricked her ears forward. The foal that was with her was obviously in the midst of changing colors and was hiding next to her. You can see her foal peeking through the stall mesh.

imageThis is the nameplate found on her halter

imageThis mare had a distant far away look in her eyes. I wish she could tell me her thoughts.

imageAlthough she is almost black looking, this particular photo makes her appear grey. Such a somber yet intelligent look in her eyes.

imageThe foal that was in the stall peeking shyly out through the stall mesh.

imageA better look at the changing color on this foal. Most likely a grey...but perhaps he/she will turn into a red roan?

NEXT UP...MEETING THE 2 YEAR OLDS IN TRAINING AT MAGDELENA FARM!
    edited July 2015
    MORE TO COME AT MAGDELENA FARM!
    We were fortunate to be able to get up close and love on some 2-year old fillies and colt in a stall near the broodmare barn. Still working on sorting these photos...I'll be out this afternoon and will get these posted later on today.
    edited July 2015
    No problem @Rachel...I just thought since you regularly provide updates of foals at various broodmare farms, that you might have another "link" to Magdelena. Their current facebook only provides last years foals.

I just wanted to know if the foals pictured above were fillies or colts. :oD
    edited July 2015

Meeting The 2-Year Olds In Training At Magdelena Farm!
    Magdelena Farm/McPeek's Racing also encouraged us to get up close to their 2 and 3-year olds in training that were stabled next door to the broodmare barn. This struck a note with me regarding @Celeste_in_TX and her boy Sugarfoot. If Sugarfoot wasn't bred at this farm, then perhaps he got to meet a lot of people when he was in training, perhaps as a 2-year old. These young warriors were also a joy to get up close to! It was too bad I couldn't feed them my stash of baby carrots. Only petting but no treats!

MEET WOLF BAYOU (2013 colt by Forestry out of Mrs. Coolidge)
    I had to smile to myself as our tour guide, John told us (while holding onto Wolf Bayou's halter with Wolf trying to nip at him) to be careful with Wolf Bayou as he was ornery. Actually, when another gal and myself approached Wolf Bayou, we found he was a real charmer. He put his head down to allow us to pet him and scratch his forelock and ears. He adored females...I guess he just didn't like to be handled by males!

imageWolf Bayou is a "Ladies Man"...No wonder he was surrounded by fillies on either side of his stall.

imageWolf Bayou letting me pet his head and forelock.

imageA nice look at Wolf Bayou's handsome head and blaze.
  • I dont follow the farm so i dont know

No problem @Rachel...I just thought since you regularly provide updates of foals at various broodmare farms, that you might have another "link" to Magdelena. Their current facebook only provides last years foals.

Sandstorm Cat--filly
    CJ's LeeLee--filly
    Best Lass--colt
    Redreamit--filly

As for "Soul Winner's Fire"--I think somebody lost her halter. :-)

Maybe if you sent the pic to the farm, they could tell you who the mare is. Or send the baby pic--baby is distinctive.
    edited July 2015

Sandstorm Cat--filly
    CJ's LeeLee--filly
    Best Lass--colt
    Redreamit--filly

As for "Soul Winner's Fire"--I think somebody lost her halter. :-)

Maybe if you sent the pic to the farm, they could tell you who the mare is. Or send the baby pic--baby is distinctive.
    Greatly appreciate this update @lauraj_cincinnati on the sex of the foals. :oD I'll work on getting an email out to see if I can get a response from someone at Magdelena on the mare wearing the Soul Winner's Fire halter.

Thanks again for all your help! :oD

Update: I emailed the photos of Soul Winner's Fire and her foal to Magdelena...hoping they respond.
    edited July 2015
    MORE PHOTOS FROM MAGDELENA FARM: A 2-Year Old in Training

MEET SENSUOUS PAT (2013 filly by Broken Vow out of Rockintotherhythm)

imageHow do you like my profile?

imageCarrots? I smell carrots!

imageAhh Come on...I know you have carrots in your pockets!

COMING UP NEXT...MEET SPRUCE RIDGE LADY