Visiting Thoroughbred Breeding Farms-A Personal Adventure!

Comments

• Oh, Broad Brush! <3

Such incredible pictures, @Paniolo_Gal.
  • Oh, Broad Brush! <3

Such incredible pictures, @Paniolo_Gal.</p>;
    Thanks @EliRose! Sorry it takes me awhile to gather the best (least blurred) photos to post. I wish I had the photography skills like Casey. :oD
    More photos coming up...soon!
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited July 2015
    MORE PHOTOS FROM MAGDELENA FARM: A 3-Year Old in Training

MEET MAGIC OF BELIEVING (2012 colt by Badge of Silver out of Crystal Illusion)

imageI just love Magic Of Believing's beautiful face!

imageSuch a beautiful colt with bright, intelligent eyes!

COMING UP NEXT...SPRUCE RIDGE LADY (2013f)
  • Such wonderful photos!! We were without power all day yesterday so I didn't have a chance to comment earlier. I am enjoying your trips so much!! Thanks for sharing.
    edited July 2015
    Such wonderful photos!! We were without power all day yesterday so I didn't have a chance to comment earlier. I am enjoying your trips so much!! Thanks for sharing.
    @Celeste_in_TX...I hope all is well now with your electrical power in your area. :oD We are also watching "another potential storm" coming our way again...AUWE!

btw...Did you see my comment earlier about McPeek also letting the public have access to their young horses in training...keeping the philosopy of creating more confident horses with people contact...perhaps that is why Sugarfoot is soo calm. He probably had a lot of opportunity meeting all kinds of people when he was in training...that is if he wasn't bred at Magdelena...then he probably had a lot of people exposure during his training. :oD
  • MORE PHOTOS FROM MAGDELENA FARM: A 2-Year Old in Training

MEET SPRUCE RIDGE LADY (2013 filly by Haynesfield out of Carah)

imageLove her bright eyes and curious expression.

image Wait...Let me show you my best side before you take a photo!

COMING UP NEXT...WE CAN'T FORGET THE "GOAT"!
  • LEAVING MAGDELENA FARM
    But before we depart...we can't forget the "GOAT"!

▲John our Thoroughbred Heritage Tour guide cautioned us not to pet the goat! John made a mistake earlier and he was head butted by this territorial goat! Here's the goat pilfering feed from Fleetwood Alexis' feed bucket. (Note: Fleetwood Alexis is a 2011 filly by Afleet Alex out of Wishful Legacy by Lyphard's Wish).

NEXT UP...HANGING OUT AT PISGAH FARM WAITING FOR THE WINSTAR FARM GATES TO OPEN
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I'm waiting with baited breath for your pics of WinStar and my baby boy!!!!1
    edited July 2015
    I'm waiting with baited breath for your pics of WinStar and my baby boy!!!!1
    Shucks!...I don't want to disappoint you but my photos of Paynter didn't come out too good...darn! I don't know how to un-blur the images. :oP
    edited July 2015
    NEXT UP...HANGING OUT AT PISGAH FARM WAITING FOR THE WINSTAR FARM GATES TO OPEN

WEDNESDAY, 5/27/15: OUR SECOND DAY OF TOURING LEXINGTON
    Earlier in the morning, we visited Keeneland's Thoroughbred Center and got to watch the horses train on the tracks. However, I will elaborate on that on a different thread later.

We wanted to make sure we were not late for the 1:00p tour we arranged at WinStar Farm. However, when we reached the beatiful WinStar Farm property, the entry gates were still closed. We had arrived 30 minutes too early. Rather than wait around sitting in our car, we drove down the road we had come up on to make a short visit to see the mares and foals that were nearby the road. The sign on the fencing said Pisgah Farm. I couldn't find information about Pisgah Farm but it was located next to historic Pisgah Presbytarian Church which was built in 1784 on 30 acres of land.

The following entries coming up are of photos taken showing the playful antics of the foals and personalities of their dams. Here are two of the mares and their foals we got to interact with. Always ready...I brought out my stash of baby carrots and a bag of Mrs. Pastures Cookies for Horses.
    *Note: special thanks to lauraj_cincinnati for identifying the foals in the following photos.

MEET DIFFERENTIATE AND HER 2015 FILLY BY CONCORD POINT (Born 2/25/15)
    imageDifferentiate (2006) and her 2015 filly soaking in the sunshine at Pisgah Farm.

imageA Closer Headshot of Differentiate and her filly

Differentiate (2006) Pedigree:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/differentiate

MEET APICAL AND HER 2015 COLT BY ALTERNATION (Born 1/31/15)
    imageApical (2000) and her 2015 colt enjoy grazing in the paddock with other mares and their foals around them.

Apical (2000) Pedigree: (dam of Our Lady In Red-2008f)
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/apical

COMING UP NEXT...FUN AT PISGAH FARM WATCHING THE FOAL FOLLIES!
  • How wonderful you got to play with more mare and foal pairs in your waiting around time. That is just so darn cool. As I said before, I'm enjoying your travels very much - lol!! And I did see your comment about the interacting with the two years old in training at Magdalena and the idea that Sugarfoot spent some of his early training there appeals to my heart a great deal. The first time I ever unwrapped a pepper mint and he responded to the sound of that crinkle, I knew he had at one time been well treated and had known kindness in his past.
    edited July 2015
    How wonderful you got to play with more mare and foal pairs in your waiting around time. That is just so darn cool. As I said before, I'm enjoying your travels very much - lol!! And I did see your comment about the interacting with the two years old in training at Magdalena and the idea that Sugarfoot spent some of his early training there appeals to my heart a great deal. The first time I ever unwrapped a pepper mint and he responded to the sound of that crinkle, I knew he had at one time been well treated and had known kindness in his past.
    Yes...we lucked out on that day. As late May was still breeding season, a few of the broodmare farms didn't allow visitors to see their mares. I tried to get an appointment to see Havre de Grace and Plum Pretty at Timber Town Stables which was 5 minutes away from our hotel, but that wasn't possible during the time we were visiting. :o(

So glad your Sugarfoot has a loving "forever home" with you! I'm sure he's very happy having you as his partner for the rest of his life! :oD
  • I bet those horses appreciated their treats, especially the Mrs. Pastures. That's like crack for horses.
  • I bet those horses appreciated their treats, especially the Mrs. Pastures. That's like crack for horses.
    LOL! Yes! The Mares LOVED them! Of course the foals had only the softer baby carrots! But some of the moms wanted BOTH! hey hey!
  • I have to say again @Paniolo_Gal how much I've appreciated you sharing your trip so in-depth with us. I have been under the weather this week, and this has been so nice to read and escape to. :)
  • @sarinne...Glad this trip helps keep you occupied while you recuperate. Take care of yourself and hope you'll feel better soon! :oD
  • Thank you, Paniolo_Gal, I appreciate your sweet words. Already feeling better! :)
  • FUN AT PISGAH FARM WATCHING THE FOAL FOLLIES!

A cute incident with Differentiate and her filly!
    Okay...mama is not watching. I think it's safe now.
    SHHH! Quick! Nobody is looking! (btw...Cute pair of ears!)
    Come on...I WANT...I WANT!

Hey hey! What's going on here! You're too young for carrots!
    Hey! Let me have some of them carrots too!

Sorry Mama...I promise I won't do it again.
    Is that all?...I want MORE CARROTS & COOKIES! Where's the rest of your stash?
    COMING UP NEXT...I WANT! I WANT!
  • How cute :)
    edited July 2015
    AT PISGAH FARM...I WANT! I WANT!

The opening scene of a fun scenario...this is the cast of equine characters:
    ▼From left to right: A foal with a blaze belonging to a dark bay mare off camera range at the far end of the paddock. This foal was the smallest and probably the youngest in the trio. I will call it "Blaze". Next, Apical's colt (born 1/31/15) with no head markings. In the middle is mama Apical with one right rear sock. On the far right is Differentiate's filly (born 2/25/15) with a star on her head.
    ▼Seeing a carrot in my hand, Differentiate's filly makes a fast swoop to the fence saying...
    "I WANT!...I WANT!"
    ▼Differentiate's filly eagerly sticks her nose through the fence... waiting for a carrot! Apical in the back continues to graze.
    ▼Differentiate's filly savoring her treat of carrots!
    ▼Blaze now approaches and says in foal language..."I WANT! I WANT! But when I presented the baby carrot to its muzzle, the Blaze only sniffs it and doesn't know what it is.
    ▼Apical's colt impatiently makes his impatience known!
    "Forget about Blaze...I WANT! I WANT!
    ▼Blaze then stomps its hooves saying once again...I WANT!...I WANT! But once again only sniffs at the carrot. Differentiate's filly patiently waits on the right for her treat of carrots...she knew what to do with carrots...as long as Mama Differentiate didn't catch her snacking!
    Apical's colt turned out to be a carrot hog!...Mama Apical will later approach me to get her treat of Mrs. Pastures cookies AND carrots!
    Sadly...it was time to leave this wonderful group of mares and their foals...
    We now have 5 minutes to get back to Winstar!

COMING UP NEXT!...A VISIT TO THE MODERN FACILITY OF WINSTAR!
  • I love how you've put together this amusing vignette of the adorable foals and their moms. I imagine they all loved you for the carrots and cookies!
    edited July 2015
    AN UPDATE FROM MAGDELENA FARM...
    Remember that dark bay or black mare wearing Soul Winner's Fire's halter who had a solemn, faraway look at Magdelena?

I got a reply back from McPeek Racing Office:
    "The mare is a nurse mare because the baby's original mother had some colic surgery and is doing well now. The baby is out of Fleetwood Alexis by Mizzen Mast born on 3/24/15."

They didn't give the name of the nurse mare or the sex of the foal in their reply. But at least most of the mystery is solved.

This is Fleetwood Alexis (2011) pedigree chart. Her color is not listed but her dam Wishful Legacy (1994) was a grey/roan:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/fleetwood+alexis
    This is Mizzen Mast (1998) pedigree chart. He is listed as grey/roan:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/mizzen+mast

Here are their photos once again...
    imageThe un-named nurse mare with the distant far away
    look in her eyes. I could feel her sadness in her eyes...

imageThe Mizzen Mast foal out of Fleetwood Alexis is looking
    like it's sire who is listed as grey/roan.
  • Ah. Baby's a filly, BTW.

Nurse mare looks like a Thoroughbred. I wonder if she lost her own foal?
    edited July 2015
    Ah. Baby's a filly, BTW.

Nurse mare looks like a Thoroughbred. I wonder if she lost her own foal?
    Thanks @lauraj_cincinnati, for finding out about the sex of the Fleetwood Alexis' foal. Yes...I hope the nurse mare lost her own foal as well...rather than being taken away from her own baby. I sent a reply back to McPeeks about what kind of breed the nurse mare was...but we will see if I get any follow-up reply.

@Celeste_in_TX...I LOVE making new four-legged friends along the way when I travel! If we didn't have that 1:00p appointment at WinStar, we would have stayed longer at Pisgah Farm. The foals were a playful riot to watch and the mares each had their own personalities as well. Differentiate was a "treats hog" and would crib on the fence until she got another treat. On the other hand, Apical was a bit more mannerly...such a contrast. All of them were very friendly and enjoyed people visiting them. Another group had also stopped by who were probably local residents, as one of them said to Apical's colt..."My how you've grown so much since last time!"
    edited July 2015
    WINSTAR FARM...

WinStar staff reminisce on the old Stallion Barn before they moved
    into the new stallion facility in January of 2013...

Video from www.winstarfarm.com

WinStar Farm currently encompasses over 2,400 acres of prime bluegrass land rich in nutrients. It also includes the original 450-acre tract of land once known as Silver Pond Farm. Silver Pond Farm was started back in the 1700's by the Williams of Tidewater Virginia. This property was in the family for over 150 years. Part of the National Register of Historic Places, the original farmhouse, smokehouse, pond, bank barn and Osage orange allee on Pisgah Pike are preserved on this property. The additional acreage includes land from the Olsen, Johnson and Kinkead farms.

Kenny Troutt, a native of Mt. Vernon, Illinois is the owner of WinStar who in 2000, seized the opportunity to purchase Prestonwood (a 400 acre farm) with his business partner, Bill Casner. Troutt is the founder and Chairman of Excel Communications (established in 1988). 15 years later, since it's establishment, WinStar has risen to be one of the best Thoroughbred breeding and racing operations in the world. With Troutt's leadership, energy and enthusiasm, WinStar has found great success in all facets of the industry, including winning two of the most elite Thoroughbred races in the world, the 2010 Kentucky Derby (Super Saver) and the 2011 Breeders' Cup Classic (Drosselmeyer). In a very short time, WinStar Farm has expanded its facilities to become the country's largest Thoroughbred Stallion Farm!

The New Stallion Complex located on 2605 Paynes Mill Rd, Versailles, KY.
    In January of 2013, WinStar completed this new state-of-the-art Stallion Barn to house their top sires.
    It is located on the property formerly known as Romanoaks Farm (later Fab Oak Stable).
    imageClose-up detail of the weather vane at roof top of the Winstar Stallion Barn

WinStar's new Stallion barn features:
    • 18 stalls
    • 2 breeding sheds
    • 3 viewing areas to inspect the stallions
    • 22 paddocks that are 3 acres each
    • Multiple wash racks
    • Multiple holding areas for mares
    • Secondary barn for quarantine facilities

imageOne of WinStar's stallion open viewing area in the foreground. The circular pavilion in the background is perhaps a horsewalker/lunging ring.

Reference:
    http://www.winstarfarm.com/new-stallion-barn.html

COMING UP NEXT...WAITING IN THE RECEPTION AREA FOR THE TOUR.