Dortmund (Big Brown - Our Josephina x Tale of the Cat)

Comments

• Keta Note: Good article. Gives a great description of Dortmund and how big
    he is. Needs the double-wide stall because of his size.
    Also lists the horses and their new trainers.

Sherman, O'Neill Welcome Shah Horses
    By Jeremy Balan, The Blood-Horse January 1, 2017
    All in the Sherman Racing Stables barn at Los Alamitos Race Course were dreading Jan. 6, when their big horse leaves town for the last time.
    California Chrome will depart for Gulfstream Park Friday to run his last race in the Jan. 28 Pegasus World Cup (G1), but his double-wide stall at the front of Art Sherman's barn won't be vacant for long.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/218739/sherman-oneill-welcome-shah-horses

• Jay Privman ‏@DRFPrivman ‎01-‎Jan-‎17
    To Sherman -- Dortmund, Klimt, Power Jam,
    mdn 3yo fillies Adorable, Besides the Point,
    unraced 3yo colt Beneficent, $700k son of Uncle Mo
  • Lots of rumors out there about this situation. Apparently, whatever happened ended their business partnership and their friendship. Anyone have the real scoop? Lol
  • That Beneficent colt might have something to do with it. He was prepping for the Del Mar Futurity in June, and get a look at his last work. 4f in :46.1 handily from the gate, bullet work of 11. Pretty quick for an unraced 2yo, and he was apparently looking spectacular.

In other horse transfer news, apparently 2015 Frizette winner Nickname is now with Mandella?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzbC0UOUUAA9-g0.jpg
  • EliRose said:

That Beneficent colt might have something to do with it. He was prepping for the Del Mar Futurity in June, and get a look at his last work. 4f in :46.1 handily from the gate, bullet work of 11. Pretty quick for an unraced 2yo, and he was apparently looking spectacular.

In other horse transfer news, apparently 2015 Frizette winner Nickname is now with Mandella?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzbC0UOUUAA9-g0.jpg

Interesting but it does makes sense since her owners do have race horses at Santa Anita. But I think those horses are trained by Hollendorfer?
  • UPDATED: Owner Kaleem Shah Moving Horses From Baffert To Sherman, O’Neill: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/kaleem-shah-moves-horses-baffert-sherman-oneill/
  • Jay Privman ‏@DRFPrivman ‎January ‎1, ‎2017
    Shah: "My desire was to always race with Bob. I considered him a close friend. This is not something I ever – underscore ever – imagined..."
    More from Shah: “I’m saddened about our friendship falling apart more than the business. I thought it would be me and Bob forever.”
  • edited January 2017
    Art Sherman saying on TVG that getting the Shah's horses was like getting a New Year surprise. He mentioned that Dortmund doesn't have any shoes on his hind legs right now, then went on to say "he's always had foot issues, we'll work on that".
  • Keta Note: Photo Gives Some Idea of How Big Dortmund Is!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Someone did call him a "giraffe"... :)
  • KMM said:

They dd. KMM. Here's the story

Sherman, O'Neill Welcome Shah Horses
    By Jeremy Balan The Blood-Horse January 1, 2017
    Excerpt from article
    When owner Kaleem Shah and trainer Bob Baffert ended their partnership Dec. 31, seven horses were sent to trainer Doug O'Neill and six were delivered to Sherman. The headliner of the group that arrived to the Sherman barn Jan. 1 is not the "big horse" in terms of accomplishments compared to California Chrome, but he is, literally, a massive animal.
    Well over 17 hands tall, Shah's Dortmund entered the Sherman barn Sunday, settled into his stall, and immediately made an impression.
    "I tell you what. That thing is a giraffe," said Sherman assistant and exercise rider Anna Wells. "I brought him in the stall and his head is way up there. He's huge. I can tell you one thing. He's the biggest horse in the barn now."
    A two-time grade I winner, Dortmund tussled with fellow chestnut California Chrome three times in 2016—second-place runs in the San Diego Handicap (G2) and Awesome Again Stakes (G1), and a third in the TVG Pacific Classic (G1)—and figures to take over for his new stablemate as Sherman's top handicap horse in 2017.
    "It looks like I got a little lucky for the New Year," Sherman said with a laugh. "Believe it or not, I'll put him into Chrome's stall. He's big enough to fit in the big stall. He's just huge—a beautiful horse. We're going to have to move him into the big stall because he's too big for the other one."
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/218739/sherman-oneill-welcome-shah-horses
  • Yes, it was Art, and I really did LOL when reading that. This Friday night or Saturday morning he'll be moving to a bigger apartment. :)
    KMM said:

• KMMKMM Member
    It sounds like Sherman assistant Anna Wells said it, from article above. Art probably said it first. :)
  • Yes, it was Art, and I really did LOL when reading that. This Friday night or Saturday morning he'll be moving to a bigger apartment. :)

KMM said:

Yeah from what Art's said he'll be in Chrome special stall. Which is understandable but i had heard that his 2 year old brother Faversham would be in that stall.
  • Yes I remember reading that too, but that was before Dortie became part of Team Sherman. =)

Yes, it was Art, and I really did LOL when reading that. This Friday night or Saturday morning he'll be moving to a bigger apartment. :)

KMM said:

Yeah from what Art's said he'll be in Chrome special stall. Which is understandable but i had heard that his 2 year old brother Faversham would be in that stall.
  • Dortmund is pretty accident prone, probably best for him to be in a double wide ;)
  • Hopefully they reset the eyehooks on the double wide. Where that stall guard is laying would make me nervous, especially if Dort is given to pawing.
  • Jay Hovdey talks about Shah's decision to stop working with Baffert: http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-breaking-not-so-hard-do
  • DORTMUND works again for Art Sherman
    01/30/2017
    Date: January 30, 2017
    Track: LOS ALAMITOS
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 49:00 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Today-

Dortmund (KY) Bob Baffert H 5 47.60 h 2/26

(Equibase always lists the trainer of record based on the horses last start)
  • Another bullet for DORTMUND
    02/22/2017
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 59:00 Handily
  • And again-

Another BULLET for Dortmund
    03/01/2017
    Date: February 28, 2017
    Distance: Six Furlongs
    Time: 1.11:80 Handily
  • Dortmund is actually coming back in the Kilroe Mile on the turf haha. That'll be fun to watch!

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/dortmund-try-turf-next-saturdays-kilroe-mile/