Favorite Claiming/Allowance Horses

EliRoseEliRose Member
edited September 2015 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
Some of us have favorites who are not big stakes winners, have regal dams, or owned/trained by the big britches. Some horses catch your eye in the paddock, even if they are just claimers. Or they have great names. I thought this would be a nice place to showcase the working-class thoroughbred.

I'll start with my girl, Action Tonight.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Photos taken by myself at Monmouth Park, 7/31/2015
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=9364531&registry=T

She's a 3 yo Lion Heart out of an unraced Two Punch daughter. A $5000 yearling, she must have showed something while training because her debut was a Maiden Special Weight. Action Tonight failed to hit the board and was dropped to claiming ranks. Her recent efforts have been very nice, breaking her maiden three back and placing in the last two. I watched both of her last attempts, and she was very smart in both - she'd have probably snatched them had she not been taken wide both times.

She's a HUGE filly. Always the classiest horse in the paddock. Just a pretty picture all the way around, lovely lovely lovely. The first time I saw her, she just stood out so much against the little sprinters. Got a great price on her, too ;)

Please, go ahead and share your own favorites!

Comments

• Good idea for a discussion thread. Two notes: Where is she based? and, Don't forget to credit the photographer, even if it's yourself, and cite the source of the photos.
  • She's based out of Monmouth. And thanks for the reminder, I'll edit.
  • Are you in New Jersey?
  • I'm from NJ and was there most of the summer, but right now I'm back at school in Montana. There is a terrible lack of Thoroughbreds out here :/
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited September 2015
    I think my favorite is a 4yo Afleet Alex gelding named Cajun Black who's been racing out at Golden Gate Fields. He's been putting in some consistently nice efforts after breaking his maiden on 3/20 of this year. His record is only 13-2-4-0, but both wins and all four seconds came since breaking his maiden. He's actually entered in another allowance race tomorrow at Golden Gate (race 8). He's also won on the lead and in closing style, so he's very adaptable.

Cult Classic is a 3yo Quality Road filly I've been really interested in since she broke her maiden in her debut, but she hasn't won since. She's absolutely enormous, so she broke slow in her first race, went very wide and won by 5 lengths. I also love her name. She's raced at Gulfstream Park West, Gulfstream Park, and Saratoga.

Four Inch Heels is a 3yo Afleet Alex filly who won on debut at Monmouth but hasn't won since in a total of 5 starts. She's owned by It's All About the Girls, LLC, which is an all-women racing syndicate. She's also got an adorable blaze. (photo here by an unknown photographer on their FB page: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10885115_1034687586557756_3332527294007999627_n.jpg?oh=7bf6189fd5c8572b29e7aa17512477cc&oe=5674935E)

Tapit Wicked is a 3yo Tapit colt with one of the most awesome blazes I've ever seen. He has only one win in 9 starts, but he has 4 seconds and 1 third as well. (photo here by Kari Myers: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fa/65/94/fa65945c56f0fef05320e1eefbe4eade.jpg)

I also have a soft spot for Attack, who has yet to get better than one 2nd in 8 starts, but who was Texas Red's workmate for a long time. He races out in California on a couple of different tracks.

There are a bunch of other claimers/allowance-level horses that I follow, but these are my favorites.

• My favorite is a multiple stakes placed gelding, but since I've seen him run everywhere in CA down to the fairs in allowance races, I think he fits in here. It seems like every time I have the chance to watch TVG/HRTV, he just happens to be running. lol His name is Argyle Cut and he's by Harlington out of a Stormy Atlantic mare (actually he's got a really nice pedigree over all). Though I don't have a photo of him, he's a good looking boy, with a record of 20-2-7-2. Not saying he's good, lol, I just have a soft spot for him as he always gives a great effort.
  • EliRose did you read my mind?!!!! I kid you not I've been thinking of adding a similar Discussion Thread all week! I would like to also use this thread to comment on racehorses we loved from the past that are mostly forgotten; perhaps we were their only real fan and now they are just happy memories; Claimers, Allowance runners, low level stakes winners and maybe even graded stakes winners that faded away after their racing days.

Present:
    Black N Beauty: (CAN), Devil His Due x Harbor Girl.
    Gelding 2008, $2,500 Keeneland September Yearling Sale. Stakes Placed. 41 starts: 8-11-4 $318,187. He first caught my attention because of his name, but he is such a hard knocking warrior as well. Claimed at Barretts Race Meet at Fairplex on 9/20/2013 (finished 1st) he was sent to Zia Park for two races finishing 4th, then 2nd, before being sent to Sunland Park where he had a three race winning streak. His last race was 7/19/2015 at Sunray Park where he finished 1st and was claimed for $7,500. He is back in California, training at Del Mar. I'm crossing my fingers I'll see him at Los Al or Santa Anita.

Constantino: Master Command x Simply Stylish
    Gelding 2010, 12 starts: 4-3-2, $207,936.
    Last race was at Woodbine on August 8, 2015, where he finished 2nd in an Allowance Optional Claimer. Saw him on TVG during the post parade and pre-race warm up. His elegant way of carrying himself is what drew me to him. My mental note to myself was "moves like a dream".

Days Gone By:

Bold Renown: Have no idea of parentage, year foaled, nothing and I can't find him in Pedigree Query or elsewhere. He loved the mud! I remember putting $2 bucks on him at Santa Anita. It was a rare outing to the track by myself, during the middle of the week, and it was overcast and raining and attendance at the track was only a handful. I had the entire rail of the walking ring almost entirely to myself. Here comes this little guy, tail braided and glistening in the rain. He ran away from the field that day. Bold Renown....it's time for another horse to get that great name.

Special Art:: Specialmante x Teacher's Art.
    F.W. Hooper Bred. 1972 Chestnut Mare. 24 Starts: 3-5-0. The most dainty pretty filly anyone could ask for! I was at the track with my dad and we both liked her immediately. She won that day. But what really kept my attention on her was the Hooper connection, plus she was by the Rex Ellsworth bred stallion, Specialmante (Nigromante x Special Touch by Alibhai) a stallion who was making an impact in California (as a filly sire) before his untimely death. I don't recall now if it was Ellsworth or Hooper who said something to the fact "you discover a good one, and then they're gone." According to Equibase, Specialmante was unraced (and that's how I remember it), but PedigreeQuery shows him starting eight times.

Anyway, before his death he sired the following stakes winners that I remember fondly:

Goddess Special:
    AT 2:
    1st: Golden Rod S., Duranza S., Land of Lincoln S., Illini Princess S.
    2nd: Orange and Blue S.
    AT 3:
    1st: Princeton H.
    2nd: Pageant H., Betsy Ross H.
    3rd: Miss Woodford S.

AT 5:
    2nd: Las Flores H.
    3rd: Santa Monica H.

Quaze Quilt:
    At 3: Won Kentucky Oaks (G2), Alabama S. (G1), Test S. (G2); 3rd Mother Goose S. (G1)
    At 5: 2nd Santa Ana H., Santa Gertrudes H.

Special Goddess:
    AT 2: WON Hollywood Lassie Stakes (G2); 3RD Cygnet Stakes (G3). AT 3: WON California Oaks, Balmoral Handicap. AT 4: WON Monrovia Handicap; 3RD Costa Mesa Handicap.

Special Team:
    WON Acorn Stakes (G1), Arlington-Washington Lassie Stakes (G3), Signature Stakes (G3), Pasadena Stakes (G3)
    2ND Spinaway Stakes (G1), Cotillion Handicap (G1), Kentucky Oaks (G2)
    3RD Santa Susana Stakes (G2), Santa Ynez Stakes (G2)

Special Satin:
    La Centinela Stakes
  • Well what do you know!
    Black N Beauty is entered at Del Mar tomorrow! $8,000 - $7,000 Claimer. He is in for $8,000

• He's beautiful E_H!

Thank you, EliRose and E_H, for having the ideas to start this great thread honoring these horses. :)
  • E_H I've been thinking of doing this for a while!! Great minds this alike ;) Black N Beauty is stunning.

@jaefeathered Tapit Wicked is stunning.

Action Tonight finished 9th today. BTW, misleading spelling error in the first post - AT's sire is Lion Hearted, not Lion Heart. She's built far more nicely than most Tale of the Cats ;)
  • Monzante was one of my favorites. I am partial to greys. I followed him as a graded stakes winner, and then as he went down the claiming ranks. I was going to get a friend trainer to maybe claim him for me, but he was only 15 hands 2 inches, too small for me. But, he ended up breaking down, and was euthanized. There was a lot of controversy about that at the time, but the trainer was later exonerated. He should have been retired much earlier. He was a GI winner and a beauty!
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited September 2015
    Cajun Black won his allowance today by 2 1/2 lengths! I wonder if they'll put him in a minor stakes at some point. He's been doing really well lately.

EDIT: Here's a link to the replay of his race if you guys are interested. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/GG/2015/9/6/8/race-8-alw-at-gg-on-9-6-15
  • Nice win!
  • I wish I could say BNB won or even came in the money. Del Mar may be too hard of a circuit for him.
  • Here's one of "my" horses entered right back in another race.

Know More is entered on September 13, 2015 at LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE.

Your comments for this horse were: Won Graded Stakes in Debut

This will be his 5th start in 10 weeks!
  • Finally!!! Sharm, a horse I've been following since before he was named, finally gets his first win in his 18th start, today at Churchill Downs. Hard to believe they never dropped him into the claiming ranks or gelded him, just amazing. Always starting in Maiden Special Weights at tracks from, Saratoga, Keeneland , Oaklawn and Churchill Downs. Graded Stakes placed at two (3rd in the Hopeful behind Competitive Edge and I Spent It...BTW, what has happened to I Spent It?), Sharm has won $133,910 as a one time winner. Not shabby.

Sharm (KY)

CH , C, foaled February 24, 2012

( Majestic Warrior - Mystic Mirage, by Chester House)
    Jockey: Florent Geroux
    Trainer: D. Wayne Lukas
    Owner: Zayat Stables, LLC
    Breeder: Whisper Hill Farm
    BUYER / CONSIGNOR (MOST RECENT):

Sold to Zayat Stables
    Consigned by Sweezey & Partners

• Wonderful for Sharm!!! Woohoo!!!

I was wondering about I Spent It myself the other day. He looked so promising at a 2 year old.
  • Impressive! He is gorgeous. What a strong back.

I spent it ran 7th in an Optional Claimer on the 19th, after a long layoff.
  • Thanks for the update on I Spent It, @EliRose. I hope that he's okay.
  • Cajun Black is running in another allowance/optional claimer tonight (6:57 Eastern at Golden Gate). I hope he does well!
  • He finished 6th =( He was at least 4-5 wide on every turn though and tried his best anyway.
  • Know More is entered today, October 11, at LOS ALAMITOS.

Your comments for this horse were: Won Graded Stakes in Debut

Race: 5 - 7:18 PM CLAIMING $5,000
  • Claimed!! Know More is off to retirement, hooray!
  • YAY!!!
  • Details please!!! How do you know it was a "retirement" claim?
    Claimed!! Know More is off to retirement, hooray!