2015 Keeneland September Yearling Sale (Sept. 14-26)

Comments

• It should not have been in these early books! What is tag no.?
  • There was no RNA?
  • Did not meet reserve price. There is minimum price put on horse for sale. Horse is retained by breeder.
    There was a Tapit colt (hip 115) that RNA'd at $1,200,000! I wonder what the reserve was.
  • I guess, in my eyes, does not fit with this early book, and logic for her being so early in the sale.
  • You have pricey horses in first few books. If horse achieved status for early book, how could horse be let go at that price? It doesn't make sense to me. My opinion. K
  • I don't doubt you, just seems really dumb for owners, although horse with great breeding, may have confirmation or medical issues
  • How did horse get into early book and owners would let horse go at such a deminimus price?
  • How did horse get into early book and owners would let horse go at such a deminimus price?
    Are you sure the horse wasn't an RNA?
  • Poster said horse was sold. Don't know. Should be RNA.
  • Keeneland September Sale 2015: Session 3:
    Unless no reserve was set.
  • The Mosses are #10 in leading buyers at the sale so far. Exciting to see them getting some nice looking yearlings including an Uncle Mo, Lemon Drop Kid, Shackleford and Candy Ride today and a Quality Road on Day 1....
  • Mosses are ready to go racing!
  • I'll repeat what I said on another thread...

Wow, I don't recall them buying so many at one time from this particular sale and in these price ranges. Will need to check last year's results from Keeneland to compare.

Also, seems to me, based on the colts they are buying, that they might be looking for their next Classic contender. And then there is the question "how many will go to John". And all these newbies to add to my virtual stable. Haha

Unless no reserve was set.
    The horse was Hip No. 686, and was indeed sold for $12K, to Tricar Stables. Evidently they were bargain hunting; they also bought # 411, a Giant's Causeway-Looking filly for $35K and # 299, Malibu Moon-Gold d'Oro colt for $45K.

I have no idea why these horses sold poorly, especially 686. His conformation must be OK, the sales reps look at every entrant into the sale and wouldn't put a funky-looking horse in Book 1. Maybe he was going through a growth spurt, or didn't scope well, or something. I think it probably has more to do with the dam's side--lots of black type under the 2nd and 3rd dams, but all overseas and mostly in Japan.

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Sep15/pdfs/686.pdf
    http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Sep15/pdfs/411.pdf
    http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Sep15/pdfs/299.pdf
  • What hip #? Won't it be ironic if this one turns out to be better than all the $1Million plus buys? We need to put this one in our Virtual Stables just because. After all he is probably going to be the only one from the early book that any one of us could have fit into our budget. LOL
    Thanks, K and Q. The lowest I saw a horse go for was 10k. Yikes.

12K, actually, but that is still really, really cheap, especially for Book 1. Not sure why except that the dam comes from Japanese bloodlines, with which buyers might be less familiar. Second dam is half to Deep Impact. Should have gone for more, though. Someone got a good deal. Sire is Giant's Causeway.
  • HIp 686...He has a fan. LOL

It will not surprise me to see him turn up in a two year-olds in training sale next year.
  • HIp 686...He has a fan. LOL

It will not surprise me to see him turn up in a two year-olds in training sale next year.
    Me neither, although I also would not be surprised if they keep him. The stable is based in New Mexico but also has (had?) horses in California. They had a dispersal sale back in 2013, but it looks like they are re-stocking. Best of luck to them.
  • Thanks for that information.

Don't you find it kind of interesting that these folks from New Mexico are attending the Keeneland sale during the first days, when the most expensive yearlings sell, and are able to pick up three affordable yearlings? I wonder what their thinking and strategy was.

I agree with you "best of luck to them".
    HIp 686...He has a fan. LOL

Me neither, although I also would not be surprised if they keep him. The stable is based in New Mexico but also has (had?) horses in California. They had a dispersal sale back in 2013, but it looks like they are re-stocking. Best of luck to them.
  • They may be just as surprised as we are.
  • THAT was the one...thanks. I remember, because of Deep Impact.
    Thanks, K and Q. The lowest I saw a horse go for was 10k. Yikes.

12K, actually, but that is still really, really cheap, especially for Book 1. Not sure why except that the dam comes from Japanese bloodlines, with which buyers might be less familiar. Second dam is half to Deep Impact. Should have gone for more, though. Someone got a good deal. Sire is Giant's Causeway.
  • So strange.

A few horses went for less than I expected, including the Rachel half brother. Awfully nice looking colt.
  • Was the Steve Haskin article...Striking gold at the Keeneland sales...ever posted as part of this thread? Really good article that speaks to so much of the fascination and love many of us feel for this industry.
    In typical Haskin prose, he makes the journey so real while taking you back in time,feeling as if you are there and a part of the story.
    Article at bloodhorse.