Track/Outrider Ponies

As it looks like there is no current thread for these guys, I thought it was appropriate!

Lizzie posted about Nugget's eventful retirement at Belterra: http://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/veteran-belterra-pony-has-eventful-last-day-of-work/

Apparently Lava Man might be going to Keeneland!
https://www.facebook.com/IAmLavaMan?fref=ts

Comments

• Good idea Elirose, nice thread. Love Lavaman very much, its always a pleasure to see him. I`m pretty excited about WD working at the track. Too often our great athletes fade away. But as coaches, we get to see them often.
  • Thank you, EliRose!
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited October 2015
  • I love it - "It's Lava's world and we're just living in it".....
  • My little buddy...lava man. I'll get to see him tomorrow. Gonna be out in the Mojave all day today. Maybe I'll play everyone he walks out, just for fun.
    Btw...is WD gonna make an appearance?
  • That is AWESOME. Thanks! Belmont has a very pretty black-and-white pony working now. Just look for the skunk tail. ;-)

• Harley is definitely bad presence you can't miss on the TV!
  • Huh. I always thought he was a Friesian cross, but I admit I haven't gotten close enough to him to tell. He's gorgeous.

There's another Appy cross pony at Keeneland--the one Donna Barton was riding today.
  • Ugh I can't edit it, I was typing from my phone.

I meant to say that Harley is definitely a presence you can't miss on TV! He catches the eye and I would never have known he was just 5 years old. He knows his job really well and kept his composure through all of that like a champ. Excellent, excellent pony!

And yes! Is saw the pony Donna was on and another largish, solid dark bay. @Lauraj_cincinnati what do you think, is this going to become a trend to use these larger draft crosses? Harley, the horse Donna was on and the third fellow definitely seem to make a case for it.
  • I saw what I THOUGHT was a black or dark gray Percheron at...a track which I forgot. This was a couple years ago,
  • KMMKMM Member
    A female trainer friend of mine used a draft cross to pony her stable at Bowie in the 2000s.
  • Ohhhh I'm watchin' Harley! He's three Thoroughbreds wide, but has a small, refined head. Iz in luv, lol.
  • I was just going to ask "who is that magnificent track pony at the BC?" and then found this discussion and Harley!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Harley is huge!
  • Ugh I can't edit it, I was typing from my phone.

I meant to say that Harley is definitely a presence you can't miss on TV! He catches the eye and I would never have known he was just 5 years old. He knows his job really well and kept his composure through all of that like a champ. Excellent, excellent pony!

And yes! Is saw the pony Donna was on and another largish, solid dark bay. @Lauraj_cincinnati what do you think, is this going to become a trend to use these larger draft crosses? Harley, the horse Donna was on and the third fellow definitely seem to make a case for it.
    I don't know if it's a trend or not, but it makes sense. Track ponies don't need to be fast, but it helps if they're solid. I'm sure no one gets away with pulling any sort of misbehavior on Harley! I'm pretty sure that the outriders at Keeneland have OTTBs.
  • I could definitely see a case for a mixture of the two types!

Outriders, who often times have to chase down a runaway, having an OTTB is perfect for that, speed and nimbleness.

Then the big crosses like Harley being such a good match for the actual pulling/woobieing needs for a young horse, like you say they aren't going to be able to drag a horse like Harley around the track and can bump him all they want!
  • The NBC Sports interviewer-on-horseback was riding another big, interesting Appaloosa-marked pony.

But I've seen the NYRA outriders perform rodeo-like moves to capture a runaway horse. Awesome.
  • I had my eye on the pinto with the white face all day yesterday, and he turned out to lead American Pharoah. Gorgeous horse.
  • Good looking and seemingly really smart pony. :)
  • Yay, finally something on that gorgeous appy!
  • Mary ‏@MaryEllet Dec 29 2016
    Baffert bought another new pony to use at the track - this one for $30,000.

• That's one nice pony!!! Two lines to Hollywood Jack 86!! Not quite as accomplished as Smokey, who was a superstar in his Futurity days, but goodness is he cute.