Run Happy

Comments

• Actually, I think this is a good human interest story and I hope the facts, whatever they are determined to be, come out. To me, it seems there may be substantial fairness issues here and fair treatment.
  • ...the cat is not only out of the bag, it is running amok.
    Hahaha, good one Wyoming Grandma, a great twist on an old cliche.

• I like knowing the real story, not just the feel good story. But that is me. I personally don't like things "prettied" up for public consumption.
  • So sad that another happy horse story has gotten such bad press by he said, she said type of thing, who did what, who owes who, etc. As soon as something gets into the media, it just blows up. Reminds me a lot of California Chrome and all the bad press the owners got going .
    Gee, in the old days, it was handled by phone and mail, no internet. Sure kept things a lot quieter and less notoriety.... I hope they get it all taken care of, too bad they can't keep it private, the cat is not only out of the bag, it is running amok.

ANTI-social media at its finest.
    And the subjects social media doesn't blow out of proportion, REAL media does. The press... in all its manifestations... is what controls how people "think" in this country. The ol' go along to get along mentality is why we're in the fix we're in. It's a lot easier... and much less risky... to parrot what is read heard than to puzzle it out and possibly come to a different opinion.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited November 2015
    You think people are mind-controlled by press, whoodler? I find that pretty cynical, but that is me. I think most of the public, not talking about the loudest voices in social media or however one characterizes press, liberal or not, how it reports. I give PR credit for pursuing the other viewpoint. Seems it will play out in court. Morrell or Valentine, whatever you want to call her, is a small player against a behemoth, in mattress king. It is a good story. I don't think most of the audience interested in this question is dumb.
  • Tincup, when you have a chance, please weigh in. K
  • Just for the record, @KMM, her name is Maria Borell. :)

Boy, have the times changed. Can you imagine Penny Chenery and a trainer in this kind of public battle? First Chrome connections and now this. It boggles the mind.
  • Didn't Chenny's trainer work just for her? Either way, any disagreements they had, were kept between them. But those were different times. These days, one tweet is equal to a story on the national news and without any of the verification. Although, considering all the crap that keeps coming out about big name reporters... of which there are very few, if any, any more... commentators is a better word... and anchors, who ya gonna trust? Ben Carson's got it right.
  • Maybe Chenery's trainer worked for her, but I was really just making the point that these kinds of things rarely were made public. Different generations, I guess. I was always taught that you don't air your dirty laundry. They also didn't have the same sort of press and social media. Apparently, JFK's infidelities were not outed by the press until years later, for example. Can you imagine that happening now? Between the press and social media, you get crucified for any little thing now whether it's deserved or not.
  • They were "equals". Borell is not an owner or big time trainer. I just say, let the facts be revealed. She has no bucks and is just a small time trainer, who I think, proved herself.
  • This is a different story, not about sexual picadillos, but a young woman trainer who may have not been treated fairly. I think it is worthwhile for a public hearing.
  • Well @louisecastello P Chenery always acted with class. And as far as we know ran her barn with integrity. Also and most important to this conversation, once she engaged and invited public participation she continued those values.
    She represents everything good about the sport and would be even bigger today.

You are right to bring the connections of chrome into this. There are some similarities. Appealing to the public and self proclaiming themselves the saviors of the sport and the horse , americans horse. The chrome people got the fame first try, while the runhappy people took 20 years ,40 million dollars, no success and very little humility to finally land on a good horse. But regardless of the path both are egomaniacs that thought they could treat people and the sport anyway they wanted without the backlash. The above article shows two people who are confused and angry that the public have turned on them. They just dont get it. The sport would be much better off without them.
  • What two people, tincup? Are you including Maria? I don't think the facts have been sorted out yet. Of course, my take. Maybe she is not what she claims as trainer. But does not RH tutelege under her supervision speak for itself? I don't know, I was not in their barn.
  • LOL!
  • And agree with the Chenny assessment from both LC and TC.
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited November 2015
    Lucien Laurin didn't work just for Penny Chenery. In fact, she was upset with him after the Wood, because he won the Wood for another owner. She felt that he had treated her badly in entering Angle Light. But they worked it out, and the rest is history. She later said that she regretted some of the things she said to him. She is a woman of immense class, but it was easier to maintain a reputation for class and composure back before twitter and all the other social media let you sit there in your cups and your dudgeon and transmit the contents of your brain all around the world.
  • Maybe feel good story, if it is true, is that Maria can prove she was RH's major trainer. I think that rich owners, if they don't live up to oral agreements or otherwise, should be exposed for good of sport. Given that, I don't know what record is, in this case.
  • But, TC, you find it a bad thing that the McGyvers spent 40 mil over 20 years? What about the guy who just spent 10 mil on one horse and $6 on another at the same sale? I do get what you are saying... just yanking your chain a tad. On the other hand, this is a free country....
  • The two people are mac and his wife linda. the two people interviewed in the article above.

It was very public knowledge, that Maria Borell was a very young and very green trainer. Everyone knew this was her first good horse and she was able to carry the training to a cup win. Doesnt make one bit of difference what they say about Wohlers daily supervision. Shes the trainer of record for the Bishop, the phoenix and the cup race. Nothing can change that.
    Its shameful that these people would spin to the extent of wrcking a young trainers career. Unforgivable.
    You dont want to pay..fine, see you in court
    You want more credit yourself...fine, fire her
    But why the extra step of destruction...vindictive.
  • Thank you Tincup. My take. I don't think she has enough bucks to win any lawsuit. Maybe they will srttle with her. Actually like to see her get a public win in court.
  • On the other hand... her taking on other horses has to have some fact behind it. There either are or are not owners who were at least talking to her about training for them.

Plus, some of what you see as vindictiveness is not directed at Borell but at all the people who jumped on board and slandered Wohlers. Borell is the recipient, but it seems to me that people were just waiting for some reason to go after the Mattress King.
  • Lucien Laurin didn't work just for Penny Tweedy. In fact, she was upset with him after the Wood, because he won the Wood for another owner. She felt that he had treated her badly in entering Angle Light. But they worked it out, and the rest is history.
    Thanks.

• Lucien Laurin didn't work just for Penny Tweedy. In fact, she was upset with him after the Wood, because he won the Wood for another owner. She felt that he had treated her badly in entering Angle Light. But they worked it out, and the rest is history.

Thanks.

You bet. I just added to my comment, because I've heard people criticize Borell for the two tweets she sent out after having been fired, but to me she was pretty restrained.
  • But, TC, you find it a bad thing that the McGyvers spent 40 mil over 20 years? What about the guy who just spent 10 mil on one horse and $6 on another at the same sale? I do get what you are saying... just yanking your chain a tad. On the other hand, this is a free country....
    The money and time was only to point out the same lightening in bottle moment though a different path.
  • I thought she was very restrained as well. As I said, the outrage was not expressed by her... and still hasn't been... but by all the people just waiting for the opportunity to bash the McIngvales. Personally, I think there is a bit of wrong on both sides and it is being blown up way beyond what it should be. Contracts, written or oral, are only as good as the parties they involve.