Run Happy

Comments

• edited November 2015
    And as they always say" there are three sides to every story: his side , her side and the truth" .. I am not trying to say anything specific about the RunHappy situation, I am just saying that news media, facebook,twitter and any of the other internet type of "gossip" can sure put a "new ' side on a story depending on who gets their voice or opinion out there the loudest. All and all, its just sad when this type of situation happens to make a great day for racing have a twisted ending to it, or in this case, the next morning. These days, sometimes it would be better to keep a situation closed and quiet and deal with it personally instead of all the mud slinging , name calling and accusations in the forefront of the social media where some are so eager to keep piling it on and not quit.
    I don't know the story of RunHappy, Maria and the owners/inlaws and whomever else is involved, just what dozens of stories I have read. It certainly is a mess and hopefully it can get straightened out before reputations are totally destroyed.
    Look at the Chrome mess, partners are at each others throats, inuendos spread on facebook by each other trying to outdo each others comments, he said, she said, trainer said. Its all just sad that so many people have to get involved in stuff that should be kept personal.
    As was stated earlier: Airing one's dirty laundry used to be strictly a no no. It was kept personal and quiet. Not anymore, the more dirty laundry to air, the better it seems.
  • Looks like Mac has got a crew together to try and smear Maria's name in comments - haha! I wonder where these dozen or so people, with NO other posts and recent join dates, are coming from . . . ;) Luckily it seems no one is buying those shenanigans. Questioning someone who was fired under shady circumstances for hiring an attorney is a nice tell. My dad is cursing that he didn't offer his services first, haha!

I really think Maria's only choice was to go public and get out in front first. She doesn't have the resources and other clientele of Zito, Frankel, and Baffert. Her ONLY support is going to come from the sympathy she can garner.
  • Very astute of her.
  • Wow that was a lot of reading of comments. I am not sure what articles everyone was referring to, but I did read one article that said there was No Written Contract for Training Services. Yikes! Maria was relying, I guess, on "Industry Payment Standards" and the owner's ethics. My understanding was that prior to the BC Sprint they hadn't paid her any percentage from Runhappy's wins in the Phoenix and King's Bishop Stakes. Emotions aside, that is no way to conduct a business. When do you wake up and think I need a contract? After the first stakes win and no payment?...after the second stakes win and no payment? When? I know she is young, but really there was no one to advise her? What was she thinking......."hmmm, they didn't give me my percentage after the Phoenix...hmmm, he won the King's Bishop and what do you know, no payment now for two stake wins. But surely, he if wins the BC Sprint they will HAVE to compensate me then...for all three wins…won’t they?"

I can just hear Judge Judy now. Maria: “But Judge, they knew 10% was the industry standard”. Judge Judy: “Don’t tell me what they knew, that involves reading someone’s mind.”

I laughed when I read what the McIngvales’ lawyer, Hank Stout said about the training of Runhappy “It was a team effort in doing everything," Stout said. "No one person is better than the other. Everyone contributed to the success (of Runhappy). Oh really? That sounds like too many chefs in the kitchen to me.

Bottom line, I hope Maria is compensated soon, she gets a lawyer to draft a boilerplate contract for her to use with her next clients, and she goes on to more success.
  • Mattress Mack has gone through tens of millions of dollars and literally dozens of trainers as a horse owner and never had any success, never won a grade 1 race. Finally, he owns a multiple Grade 1 and BC winning, champion. Well even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Not only does Mattress Mack have a champion horse but he has a ton of free publicity with feel good stories on NBC and YouTube, a popular, photogenic young trainer, who is a real life Cinderella story and lots of kudos from horse people for running the horse and winning without lasix. You couldn't buy that kind of good PR with thousands of commercials.

What does Mattress Mack do?...stiffs the young trainer and fires her. He didn't think that would get noticed in the media? Completely killing the positive storyline. Not content with that, in a frantic act of desperation to grab all the spotlight from Maria Borell and put it on himself and his idiot sister-in-law, Laura Wohlers, he starts spreading rumors and spinning the story that Maria wasn't really training the horse. That Maria Borell was just kinda hanging around the barn doing odd jobs for his sister in law Laura Wohlers, that Laura was the real genius trainer and kind, sensitive horse woman. Did Mattress Mack really believe anyone was going to buy this line of drivel?

All mattress mack had to do was sit back and take few bows and play the happy horse owner that runs his horses drug free. He could even give his sister in law some unearned credit by saying some nice things about her racing management in the media, there was plenty of glory to go around. This is a no-brainer, doesn't take a marketing or PR genius to do this. Then if he is still foolish enough to take Run Happy away from Maria, in two weeks or a month, when the story has died down a bit, pat Maria on the back, pay her off for less than the cost of a decent yearling so she keeps her mouth shut and go on his merry way. As a long time horseplayer and racing fan, I have seen a lot of strange things but I would have to think very long and hard, and it might be impossible to find any owner who has done anything remotely this stupid.
  • Zen13FanZen13Fan Member
    edited November 2015
    I think I will post this on BH as well. BTW I have no affiliation with Maria, her lawyer, definitely not with Mattress Mack or his family or anyone else in this story, just my take as a racing fan. OK, guess not, BH has closed comments for this story. I wonder if they were threatened with a lawsuit? OK, got it on BH in a different story, about the lawsuit for not paying Maria.
  • And a pretty good one. I like.
  • Mattress Mack has gone through tens of millions of dollars and literally dozens of trainers as a horse owner and never had any success, never won a grade 1 race. Finally, he owns a multiple Grade 1 and BC winning, champion. Well even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Not only does Mattress Mack have a champion horse but he has a ton of free publicity with feel good stories on NBC and YouTube, a popular, photogenic young trainer, who is a real life Cinderella story and lots of kudos from horse people for running the horse and winning without lasix. You couldn't buy that kind of good PR with thousands of commercials.

What does Mattress Mack do?...stiffs the young trainer and fires her. He didn't think that would get noticed in the media? Completely killing the positive storyline. Not content with that, in a frantic act of desperation to grab all the spotlight from Maria Borell and put it on himself and his idiot sister-in-law, Laura Wohlers, he starts spreading rumors and spinning the story that Maria wasn't really training the horse. That Maria Borell was just kinda hanging around the barn doing odd jobs for his sister in law Laura Wohlers, that Laura was the real genius trainer and kind, sensitive horse woman. Did Mattress Mack really believe anyone was going to buy this line of drivel?

All mattress mack had to do was sit back and take few bows and play the happy horse owner that runs his horses drug free. He could even give his sister in law some unearned credit by saying some nice things about her racing management in the media, there was plenty of glory to go around. This is a no-brainer, doesn't take a marketing or PR genius to do this. Then if he is still foolish enough to take Run Happy away from Maria, in two weeks or a month, when the story has died down a bit, pat Maria on the back, pay her off for less than the cost of a decent yearling so she keeps her mouth shut and go on his merry way. As a long time horseplayer and racing fan, I have seen a lot of strange things but I would have to think very long and hard, and it might be impossible to find any owner who has done anything remotely this stupid.

Shades of DAP.

• More confirmation as to who was really training Run Happy in the first 7 minutes of this podcast.

http://stevebyk.com/broadcast/hour-2-doug-bredar-chad-brown/
  • Just found a new show to listen to. Thanks bunches
    Knew much of this. Hope others listen to link.
  • What were observations tincup?
  • Or Zen13fan, what were observations?
  • Byk basically said she was the only one ever around Runhappy. He was one of the first to come out in support of Maria.
  • What were observations tincup?
    Hi KMM
    The show is called...at the races with Steve Byk. east coast show out of New York. I`ve listened to a couple of podcasts now and really like the show. You can always tell how well someone is respected within a genre by the company they keep and the interaction between them. He gets great interviews.
    He didnt get into the specific situation between Maria and the others, he only spoke of his actual experience. He had produced commentary concerning the fracture of runhappy`s bone and how Wohlers was taking jogging without a clue to his injury. he spoke of the purchase of the horse and how it was Cari Thomas and Pete bank who found the buy. He spoke of having know these people for years and called them laughable. A group that had never found success.
    He Spoke specifically of the time before the Bishop and after.
    Now this I found interesting, I had never heard this yet.
    RunHappy was at the farm of Joe McMahon, not sure of the spelling, he`s of Funnycide fame. So runhappy was at the farm of Joe before the bishop and after. Seen by Steve who kept horses there. And he never saw anyone, not anyone, helping her. Total opposite of what the twins claim.
  • Thanks Elirose for explaining. I have to say, I am a supporter of maria. My opinion, of course!
  • Byk basically said she was the only one ever around Runhappy. He was one of the first to come out in support of Maria.
    Thank you @EliRose , you are a peach.
  • Thanks guys! Believe her because she is without hubris!
  • This should be easy to resolve. Stand all the people who claim to have trained Runhappy in a stretched out line with about 12 feet between them. Then bring Runhappy out, face him toward the people who must stand quietly with no gesturing, and see which one he goes to. No carrots in pockets, either.
  • Or they could just ask Runhappy's groom. S/he would know for sure.
  • This should be easy to resolve. Stand all the people who claim to have trained Runhappy in a stretched out line with about 12 feet between them. Then bring Runhappy out, face him toward the people who must stand quietly with no gesturing, and see which one he goes to. No carrots in pockets, either.
    Sounds like a solution Solomon would have come up with!
  • I guess one of the earliest moves her attorney makes, is to get all agreements between prior trainers with mattress king to establish his practices in paying trainers. Hers may have been different because of her junior status as a trainer. I hope she has witnesses if they were oral agreements.
  • She sued the laundry list, but that is normal lawyer strategy.
  • My comments about legal strategies are based on being paralegal for 15 years in another life. K