Songbird (Medaglia d'Oro - Ivanavinalot, by West Acre)

Santa Anita Workout
12/26/2015
Dirt
3F
Time: 36.40
Handily
Rate: 3/12

Comments

• Getting started for the Oaks! Hope Valentina grows a lot and can give her a race.
  • As much as I love Valentina, can't get past the record. Songbird should be 2yr. old filly Eclipse winner.
  • Songbird To Target Kentucky Oaks Instead of Derby
    By Lenny Shulman America's Best Rading Dec.2 2015
    Undefeated Songbird, who will soon be crowned champion 2-year-old filly of 2015, will be pointed to next year's Longines Kentucky Oaks and will not race against males early in 2016, according to her owner Rick Porter.
    http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/the-latest/news-stories/2015/12/2/songbird-to-target-kentucky-oaks-instead-of-derby/
    Also posted in Discussion: 2016 Kentucky Oaks & Road to 2016 Kentucky Derby
  • I'm still hoping her owners change their minds about going to the Oaks instead of the Derby. I think she'd throttle the colts.
  • SA Press Box tweet on Thursday Jan. 7 2016
    Songbird will work tom before the 1st race (12 noon) in preparation
    for the Feb. 6th GII Las Virgenes

Jeremy Balan ‏tweet on Thursday Jan. 7 2016
    Songbird will work out in the afternoon tomorrow at Santa Anita, getting the star treatment like Chrome last week.
  • Songbird Fires Bullet In Santa Anita Work (includes VIDEO)
    by Ed Golden/Santa Anita The Paulick Report 01.08.2016
    Undefeated Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies winner Songbird, who will be named champion two-year-old filly of 2015 when Eclipse Award winners are announced on Jan. 16, worked five furlongs in a bullet 58.20 Friday morning under regular rider Mike Smith after the 7:45 renovation break.
    It was the fastest of 52 drills at the distance, the average time of which was 1:00.81. Santa Anita clocker Dane Nelson had fractional times for Songbird of 34 flat and 46.20, with a six furlong gallop-out time of 1:11.40.
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/songbird-fires-bullet-in-santa-anita-work/
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm still hoping her owners change their minds about going to the Oaks instead of the Derby. I think she'd throttle the colts.
    Same! It's disappointing but understandable, I suppose.

• KMMKMM Member
    She had a blast out work today. Paulickreport. :)
  • Had a work today: 6 Furlongs 1.11: 80 handily.
  • KMMKMM Member
    That was pretty darn fast and from the gate--
  • She worked today. 7 Furlongs 1:26:60 Handily. Think she is going to start very soon.
  • Songbird Work 1.27.2016
    TVG Network Published on Jan 27, 2016
    Our Eclipse Champion 2yo Filly, Songbird, worked 7f in 1:26:60 at Santa Anita on 1/27/16, with Mike Smith in the irons. The G2 Las Virgenes remains the target for her 2016 debut.
  • She wasn't among those nominated for the Triple Crown, unfortunately. Such a shame her owners don't want to race her against the boys.
  • If she were mine, I'd rather run her against the girls and put the money in the bank.
  • I believe the connections said she'll probably face the boys later in the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the Haskell.
  • She is second ONLY to Nyquist in the just released Experimental Free Handicap (of ALL eligible 2 YOs.).
    She carries 125, he is at 126 pounds

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/nyquist-songbird-top-experimental-free-handicap/
  • KMMKMM Member
    Would want them to be a little more conservative than RA's handlers for 3 year old year, depending on how healthy and sound she stays.
  • Lucky Mike he gets rides on Songbird and Ziconic. No wonder he is smiling all the time.
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited February 2016
    delete
  • She wins big on Saturday, and I will bet you that we hear of a change of ownership within a month.
  • Anyone know what time her race is? I'm having difficulty finding it =(
  • Be safe Songbird and Mike!
  • The complete field for the Grade II Las Virgenes Stakes, to be run as the fifth race on a nine-race program Saturday, with jockeys and weights in post position order:
    She’s a Warrior, Flavien Prat, 118; Land Over Sea, Mario Gutierrez, 118;
    Street Fancy, Victor Espinoza, 123; Jade Princess, Martin Garcia, 118;
    Decked Out, Kent Desormeaux, 118; Songbird, Mike Smith, 123, and
    Merirosvo, Drayden Van Dyke, 118.
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/eclipse-champion-songbird-returns-to-action-in-las-virgenes-stakes/
  • Wow. close to the most dominating thing I`ve ever seen.
    Wow...speechless
  • Wow. close to the most dominating thing I`ve ever seen.
    Wow...speechless
    I will 2nd that!