Songbird (Medaglia d'Oro - Ivanavinalot, by West Acre)

Comments

• Jerry Moss speaking of Zenyatta: She created an incredible record, and if anyone wants to try and beat it, they're welcome to go for it."

I think there is someone.

If he is speaking of her win streak, I can think of another "Wonder from Down Under" who has surpassed her :) As well as the incredible Hungarian legend Kincsem, who went a transcendant 54 races without suffering a single loss.

But I digress, my fact patroling is no fun for anyone =) His point is taken, and Sonbird would seem poised to challenge her. Who knows? Maybe she'll even match Tiznow's lonely spot of being the only two-time winner of the Breeder's Cup Classic? If she is as much of a freak as she seems to be emerging as, she could be unstoppable.
  • If you watch the race from the pan view, he did use the whip a couple of times, left-handed, and then just showed it to her.
    Lioness said:

KMM said:

One commenter said Mike had to get after her and that the time was relatively slow.

No whip usage but he did have to juggle the reins quite a bit. He didn't try too hard, but the time was slow and no one was anywhere near her (hmmm)!
  • KMMKMM Member
    I don't think we can describe Songbird as a "freak" yet. It is also about the level of the competition. She has won easily, but not really challenged. We don't know about real competition. BCC may be telling.
  • I just posted a few pics of Songbird from yesterday over on the Saratoga thread if anyone is interested. Everyone will have their own take on her race-mine is that she is just AWESOME!

• KMM said:

I don't think we can describe Songbird as a "freak" yet. It is also about the level of the competition. She has won easily, but not really challenged. We don't know about real competition. BCC may be telling.

She will not run in the BCC.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2016
    BC Distaff is what I meant. She would go against SW and B. Three eclipse winners. Please don't take my comments as discounting Songbird! She his fabuluous?! Just want her to be truly challenged!
  • Indeed! That is, if Songbird's connections agree to a challenge from Beholder. They are quoted earlier in the year as saying Songbird would NOT compete in the BC Distaff if Beholder is entered. Which is a shame =(
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited August 2016

Indeed! That is, if Songbird's connections agree to a challenge from Beholder. They are quoted earlier in the year as saying Songbird would NOT compete in the BC Distaff if Beholder is entered. Which is a shame =(

Oh god, I forgot about this. What a wimp.

Here's the direct quote from Porter in case you guys wanted to hear it again (like I did): “We could go right to the Breeders’ Cup then. Obviously, we would run in the [GI Breeders’ Cup] Distaff, unless Beholder (Henny Hughes) goes in the Distaff, then I have to go somewhere else. I am getting way ahead of myself, but you always have a plan and hope things go well.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/songbird-likely-to-head-east/
  • What a filly!

Horse Workout Notification
    August 31, 2016

Songbird (3-Year-Old Filly)

Date: August 31, 2016
    Track: DEL MAR
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 47:60 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Songbird is running September 24th in the Cotillion Stakes for 3 year old fillies going 1 1/16th miles at Parx Racing. She will be ridden by Mike Smith. She is trained by Jerry Hollendorfer and owned by Fox Hill Farm.
  • Unbeaten Songbird adds excitement to Parx's Saturday extravaganza
    Dick Jerardi The Inquirer SEPTEMBER 19, 2016
    UNBEATEN FILLY Songbird arrived at the Parx Racing stable area late Monday afternoon. On the way to Barn 4, where she will reside this week, the horse van passed Barn 8 where local star Cathryn Sophia is with John Servis' stable. Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist and Preakness winner Exaggerator are scheduled to arrive Wednesday as anticipation builds for Saturday, the biggest day in Pennsylvania horse racing history, with the $1 million Cotillion and $1.25 million Pennsylvania Derby the 10th and 11th races on a 12-race card with $3.227 million in purses.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/dick_jerardi/20160920_Unbeaten_Songbird_adds_excitement_to_Parx_s_Saturday_extravaganza.html
  • As always nervous for her until the race is over and she is home safe and sound. Godspeed to her and Mike.
  • Songbird is running September 24th in the Cotillion Stakes for 3 year old fillies going 1 1/16th miles at Parx Racing. She will be ridden by Mike Smith. She is trained by Jerry Hollendorfer and owned by Fox Hill Farm.

2016 COTILLION STAKES:
  • Songbird is a freak of nature,. Just sayin'.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited September 2016
    Songbird's great. It really seems this crop of 3 year old fillies wants no part of any race over a mile. The generous pace continuously falls a part in Songbird's races, and they crawl home. I really hope she goes to the Distaff. It will be so interesting to see her race against horses who actually want distance and hold their own in the stretch!
  • Songbird - 2016 Cotillion Stakes - First Place Finish
    TheFoxHillFarm Published on Sep 24, 2016
    Songbird makes short work of the field, stretching her career to an unbeaten 11 for 11..

• Ahh, Songbird...a thing of beauty is a joy forever. Long may she reign!
  • Right on!

Ahh, Songbird...a thing of beauty is a joy forever. Long may she reign!

• Awesome filly!! I'm glad Mr. Porter was feeling well enough to make the race in person. Hope his health continues to improve.
  • Songbird Untouchable in the Cotillion
    TDN Saturday, September 24, 2016
    Fox Hill Farm’s champion and ‘TDN Rising Star’ Songbird (Medaglia d’Oro) made it look easy once again in Saturday’s GI Cotillion S. at Parx, but hard on racing journalists trying to come up with new ways to describe her ever-growing list of facile scores at the highest level. They threw GI Kentucky Oaks heroine and fellow ‘Rising Star’ Cathryn Sophia (Street Boss) at her this time, but the result was the same–a 5 3/4-length success at 1-5. ‘Rising Star’ Carina Mia (Malibu Moon), beaten 5 1/4 lengths by the chalk when runner-up in Saratoga’s GI Coaching Club American Oaks July 24, settled for second again after setting the pace. Cathryn Sophia could only manage a distant third.
    http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/songbird-untouchable-in-the-cotillion/
    From article:
    Songbird will now be pointed to the Nov. 4 GI Breeders’ Cup Distaff, where she will face older rivals, including leading mare Beholder (Henny Hughes) and last year’s champion 3-year-old filly Stellar Wind (Curlin).
  • I literally got chills watching Songbird run in person. She's really something else. Everyone (including me) was cheering her and Mike on their way back to the winner's circle. I'll have to post my pictures of her at some point once I get them all downloaded and can sort through them.