Songbird (Medaglia d'Oro - Ivanavinalot, by West Acre)

Comments

• That's why they're not full siblings. Again, conventions aside.

You'd never see people with the same dad say they're not half-siblings.
  • Carolinarkansas was right. She qualified her statement by saying "genetically" they are half-sisters. And genetically they are. I think everyone on this Forum knows that officially the relationship is not considered when they are related through the sire, or even damsire. But the genetic connection is very much there. Even race commentators recognize this when mentioning all the "Tapits" out there racing now. When Summerbird won the Belmont they referred to him as Mine That Bird's half-brother, although the connection was through their sire. I constantly have to say, "I know that officially it doesn't count, but genetically speaking, Spider is Mine That Bird's half-brother," etc. whenever I mention it on the Mea Ola site and the Horse Rescue threads on the Forum. So I think we don't need to jump on anyone for making the half-sibling claim, especially if they have clearly added in the disclaimer "genetically." We should be above leaping to "correct" something we all know about.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I just stick to conventional horse breeding. There is extra genetic material on mitochrondial DNA. Few eggs and lots of sperm out there. The dam defines the offspring. :)
  • My point was that we all know that. But it is often useful to know that horses share a sire. We're a Forum of fans, not horse breeders, so we don't have to be conventional.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Horse Workout Notification
    Songbird (3-Year-Old Filly)
    Date: March 29, 2016
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Six Furlongs
    Time: 1.12:80 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Holy Moly!

Horse Workout Notification
    April 4, 2016

Songbird (3-Year-Old Filly)

Date: April 4, 2016
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 46:80 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • WOW
  • It's a shame they won't run her against the colts. She's truly something; better than all the 3YO boys at the moment.
  • Songbird really is an absolute monster. I love Cathryn Sophia to pieces and I think she's an unbelievable filly too, but I don't think she really stands a chance against Songbird in the Oaks. What a year for the fillies!
  • 46:80 for 4F. Takes my breath away!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Clockers' Corner ‏tweet with PHOTO Mon. April 4 2016
    SONGBIRD worked 4f this morning under Mike Smith in 46.6B
    santa anita park

• edited April 2016
    46:80 for 4F. Takes my breath away!
    And it's listed as a breeze!
    Songbird really is an absolute monster. I love Cathryn Sophia to pieces and I think she's an unbelievable filly too, but I don't think she really stands a chance against Songbird in the Oaks. What a year for the fillies!
    I agree. Much as I hate to say it, I think that Cathryn Sophia and Rachel's Valentina will be running for second and third in the Oaks.
  • 46:80 for 4F. Takes my breath away!

And it's listed as a
    breeze!
    Songbird really is an absolute monster. I love Cathryn Sophia to pieces and I think she's an unbelievable filly too, but I don't think she really stands a chance against Songbird in the Oaks. What a year for the fillies!
    I agree. Much as I hate to say it, I think that Cathryn Sophia and Rachel's Valentina will be running for second and third in the Oaks.
    Much as I hate to say it also, because RV is my sentimental favorite, I think you're right.

• I honestly love all three of them for different reasons. There aren't too many divisions where I'm a massive fan of the top 3 horses. That just makes the Kentucky Oaks all the more exciting though.
  • That superfast workout yesterday was actually 4 furlongs in 46:40 seconds. Here's the video: https://www.facebook.com/WatchXBTV/videos/1521332611507093/
    She is flat-out moving!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Mike Smith: Songbird’s Potential ‘Scary To Think About’
    by Scott Jagow The Paulick Report 04.05.2016
    Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith has been on the backs of some world-class fillies and mares during his career, and while he's not ready to put Songbird in that category just yet, there's something about the undefeated sophomore he's never seen before.
    “I just haven't been on one that's this smart and this great to run at such a young age,” Smith said Tuesday, ahead of Songbird's start in Saturday's Grade 1 Santa Anita Oaks. “She's got things figured out at a very young age… does that mean she'll continue to grow and get even better? That's scary to think about.”
    Specifically, Smith said Songbird already knows the difference between workout time and race time.
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/mike-smith-songbirds-potential-scary-think/
  • Mike and his girls! How lucky can one jockey be? To have the mounts on both Zenyatta and Songbird??? Agree with you all about Cathryn and Valentina. Especially love "Little Rachel" but don't think either one are a match for Songbird this year.
  • Just saw on Bloodhorse.com that Songbird was running in the Santa Anita Oaks this weekend. So many big races on Saturday!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Mike Smith entries April 9 - Santa Anita
    Kiss N Scat Wgt-120 Race 5 Providencia S.
    Sweet Treat Wgt-123 Race 6 Maiden Special Weight
    Songbird Wgt-123 Race 7 Santa Anita Oaks
    Danzing Candy Wgt-124 Race 8 Santa Anita Derby
    Papacoolpapacool Wgt-120 Race 9 Thunder Road S.
    Bako Sweets Wgt-120 Race 11 Evening Jewel S.
    Street to Indy Wgt-123 Race 12 Maiden Special Weight
  • Ah, Songbird! Wins the Santa Anita Oaks this afternoon even with a sloppy track. If she were to take the Kentucky Oaks, that would be 3 MdO daughters in just a few years to take that race; joining RA and Plum Pretty. Makes me smile. I'm also a Uncle Mo fan; one of his girls came in second to Song Bird.
  • Here's the race: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/race-results?startDate=4/8/2016&endDate=4/9/2016&trackLookupId=1663&type=AllRacing&statesBred=&searchStateBredPlacers=false
    Be patient. It takes a while to load.

I sure hope Z's team takes her to visit Medaglia D'Oro next. He's not getting any younger.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Songbird - 2016 Santa Anita Oaks - First Place Finish
    Race Replay with Jerry Hollendorfer Interview
    TheFoxHillFarm Published on Apr 9, 2016
    Songbird - 2016 Santa Anita Oaks - First Place Finish

• Songbird made that look too easy. Not sure she fully extended herself in that race. Would love to see her face the colts. She is in a class of her own right now.
  • She's so beautiful. There is an old song from a Fleetwood Mac album, Rumors. I'm dating myself; but it's "Songbird' I can't help but think of the song when I see her. Someone should put her races to that song. I'm so not savvy in that regard. Maybe someone already has. Pretty song, beautiful filly.
  • She's so beautiful. There is an old song from a Fleetwood Mac album, Rumors. I'm dating myself; but it's "Songbird' I can't help but think of the song when I see her. Someone should put her races to that song. I'm so not savvy in that regard. Maybe someone already has. Pretty song, beautiful filly.
    My goodness...I havent thought about that song in years. That was a wow moment. I brought it up , and went back a long time ago.
    Thank you...