2016 Foals

I suppose we will be hearing about the babies soon.

Comments

• First foal of the year is by Malibu Moon out of Spring Elusion. No info if colt or filly
  • Rachel I was going to start this thread when i saw you had done it already thanks.
  • Your welcome.

Filly by Lemon Drop Kid out of Lava Falls born today 25 days early at Arindel Farm. She is Lava Man's sister
  • Can't wait for Z16 to be added to this list.
  • I wonder if babies get foaled on New Year's Eve, or even sooner. It's probably happened. I wonder if they try to conceal the birth, if that's even possible.
  • I wonder if babies get foaled on New Year's Eve, or even sooner. It's probably happened. I wonder if they try to conceal the birth, if that's even possible.
    I think if that Happens their birthday is the first of the year they were supposed to be born in?
  • Its the first of the year regardless of when they were actually born
    There used to be a Thoroughbred breeding farm between my house in Riverside and the house of my in-laws. There were NEVER any foals out in the pasture before Jan 1. We would see foals out during the first week of Jan, however. Quite amazing that. hahaha

• First foal of the year is by Malibu Moon out of Spring Elusion. No info if colt or filly
    bay colt

• Its the first of the year regardless of when they were actually born
    I think people were suggesting some late December colts might not get born until January.

• I think you mean they do get born in late December, just not reported as born until January. I'm sure that is pretty common and would be excused if it were somehow made known. But everyone is pretty careful to keep it unknowable, so as not to cause anyone any embarrassment.
  • I meant just what I said.
    Excused my sweet patootie. Every one of them would be a year old on the 1st of January. What good is a rule if it isn't? And it's kept unknowable because the only one who would be embarrassed would be the one lying about the birth.
  • If they were expected to be foaled in late December but get born in January, I don't see an issue.

I think people were suggesting some late December colts might not get born until January.

I meant just what I said.
    Excused my sweet patootie. Every one of them would be a year old on the 1st of January. What good is a rule if it isn't? And it's kept unknowable because the only one who would be embarrassed would be the one lying about the birth.
  • Is there not a rule in place, that everyone but me supports, that says all horses are a year older on the first of January? Is there a written, OFFICIAL exception to that rule states "unless born sometime in late December, uh, make that by mid December, or maybe we'll go with by December 1st. Or as long as it's after Thanksgiving...."? When is a rule not a rule? When you are free to ignore it.
  • Yes, @whoodler, you are right. All TBs are a year older on January 1st, with no exceptions.
  • chuckle
  • edited January 2016
    Right, if born on December 31, a foal would be officially 1 year old on January 1 the next day. But I read your statement to say "the foal was born in January." So, I'm thinking "if born in January, why is there an issue?" If a December foal, unfortunate, but I don't advocate lying about it.
  • Ah, I get it. It was probably the same misunderstanding VACA had. I was being sarcastic about it. You know, like women lying about their age? My bad.
  • chuckle
    OK, guess I thought you were serious. Sigh

• I WAS serious... about foals born in December going unannounced until January. Don't know how a big farm could keep it secret... too many people to bribe. But someone who has just a few mares, an uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery, and just family for help...? Isn't it funny how "rules" start looking silly under different circumstances.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited January 2016
    Here's a link from Blood-Horse that clearly explains the 8/24/2005 Jockey Club Rule revision about late-in-the-calendar-year foalings:
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/29657/jockey-club-rule-changed-inspections-possible-of-early-foals

In other words, if a foal's birthdate is listed early in the calendar year, inspectors can go out to check on the foal to determine its actual foaling date. Any owner/breeder engaged in deceptive practices may be denied any/or all of the privileges of The American Stud Book.
  • Think this comment about sums it up . . .

"While eavesdropping at the New Year's Eve party the lady in the blue silk dress heard that the neighbor down the way say he was hoping his bay mare would hold on for just a couple of more days before she dropped her chestnut colt with four white stockings."
  • I was referring to foals due to be born in January who came early, before January. They were not put outside until after Jan started. On that farm. It probably happens a lot. Did you see any foals listed as being born on Dec 31? But you did see foals born on Jan 1. How odd. Seriously?