2016 Foals

Comments

• wow shes a big girl
  • wow shes a big girl
    Yes she is! Bay with one tiny back white sock.

• That was a great birth and I'm just waiting for her to stand. She's so cute.
  • she almost had it. she has the calm demeanor of her dam lol
  • Oh, my! Good bone. Ok. I am infatuated! First crop for WTC?

Yep! That baby is his first foal. Love that the filly has his markings + an extra white leg.

I love the BLAZE like daddy. Conformation looks great from that angle too. :)
    Gotta love it! She's gonna need a lifetime supply of sunscreen.
  • she almost had it. she has the calm demeanor of her dam lol
    I don't know if any of you kept watching, but I got concerned. She finally had to have human help to stand and still leaned against things to stay up. Then, they latched her onto a nipple and immediately left. Of course, she lost it pretty quick and went down again and no one ever came back. As of 3 am, I never saw anyone come back in. I don't know how she got enough colustrum, if any. Then this morning she had IVs in her neck and also was given colustrum per one of the comments and seemed to be stronger after her IVs. But I was distraught that she was left so soon and never seemed to be eating or standing by herself.

I know they are experts at this, but I got really sad watching her and had to force myself to stop looking because I was getting upset.

• Experts make mistakes just like everyone else. Sounds like they made a serious one this time.
  • Louise, no I went to bed shortly after the birth. That is concerning. I hope she stays strong. Right now she looks to have problems nursing because she's so tall she has to bend her neck at an angle to get to a nipple, which is awkward for a newborn learning how to latch on. But I've been watching off and on since they've come back in for the day and haven't seen anyone come in. They must feel confident she's okay.
  • Hopefully she will be fine and I did see her nurse for a very short while a few minutes ago, but still didn't seem like much and she went down again and is resting. Rockcide is a very experienced mom and has been paying the filly lots of attention and encouraging her when she is trying to nurse.
  • Yes, she's lucky to have an experienced mommy! Rockcide is a rockstar! I just missed someone coming in to check.
  • Love these Uncle Mo babies! I sure wish he wasn't so big. Perfect for Zenyatta!

Yay for Fugue and her new baby!
  • How tall is Uncle Mo? Heavy boned too?
  • I know Kitten names are reserved for Kitten's Joy's offspring, but I'd name this baby Mo Kitten.

• I don't know if any of you kept watching, but I got concerned. She finally had to have human help to stand and still leaned against things to stay up. Then, they latched her onto a nipple and immediately left. Of course, she lost it pretty quick and went down again and no one ever came back. As of 3 am, I never saw anyone come back in. I don't know how she got enough colustrum, if any. Then this morning she had IVs in her neck and also was given colustrum per one of the comments and seemed to be stronger after her IVs. But I was distraught that she was left so soon and never seemed to be eating or standing by herself.

I know they are experts at this, but I got really sad watching her and had to force myself to stop looking because I was getting upset.
    @louisecastello

You ever hear the saying 'the only thing two horse trainers can agree on is that the third trainer is doing it wrong'?

Every farm has a different philosophy about foaling. Tack on that every mare has a different opinion on human intervention with her baby and you're very rarely going to see any two foaling, any two farms do things the same way.

Try to remember, especially with the big farms, that even though a human isn't seen on the cam in the stall, doesn't mean that mare and foal aren't being watched like hawks with the vet on speed dial and a finger on the button. That's assuming they're not talking to the vet on the speaker phone!

Mares can be very particular about having their foals messed with, especially immediately after birth. I'm not implying they'll reject them because of human smell, but as important as colustrum is, so is the bonding period between dam and foal. Too many well intended humans in the stall, messing with the baby, can be harmful as well.

Remember the poor Fresian (I think it was a Fresian) foal who people kept trying to "help" stand and it ended up flipping out of their arms and causing fatal neurological injury to it's neck?

From all account Rockicide is an experienced mother who deserved the chance to work with her baby, naturally to get the filly on her feet and nursing. Rockicide getting her filly up and nursing was the best case scenario and she deserved time and quiet to do that. However, once it hit a point where it was obvious intervention was necessary, it sounds like it was all systems go with the farm personnel.

These mare cams are fascinating, I agree but you've got to remember you're truly only seeing a very tiny picture of the whole process.

Just food for thought. For all my hands on experience with foals and foaling season, I don't watch these cams anymore. Even though I know foaling season is a bittersweet season, and it's nice to see those first moments, I find it stressful to watch but be helpless to do anything when it all goes wrong. So I don't put myself through it. I wait to hear the good news and see the sweet pictures after the fact.
  • You're right @Zenyen and I do believe they know their stuff. It's mostly my problem in that I get too easily upset about things that I'm not even really sure of. I love Winstar and have great respect for them and it truly is an honor to be able to watch the foaling process. Usually it seems they spend more time making sure the foal is latching on good so it just seemed a little unusual from their norm. However, as you said, Rockcide is a very experienced mare and I always forget horses do this in the wild every day without humans interfering. Lol! I know with absolute certainty that I could never breed and foal horses. It would make me insane in a matter of days from worry.

As usual, I appreciate your input, @Zenyen. I apologize if I was being too negative towards Winstar. Worrying got the best of me.
  • @louisecastello

I know you are one of the last people to be overly negative about anything. I also know it can be distressing to have a benchmark for what seems 'normal' and then to see people deviate from that without knowing why.

That's where sometimes you've got to have faith that there is a why for a thing is being done a certain way. Remember, just because you don't see Rockicide pinning her ears, charging at people, kicking or otherwise putting up a physical display (I'm assuming since I didn't see her body language), doesn't mean she wasn't giving signals of "You can shut the door on your way out now, thanks."

An experienced broodmare is just as likely to want people to keep their damn hands to themselves and let her do her job, as they are to be understanding of intense human intervention. It can be a very fine line and it is stressful when there is a newborn life in the balance. No one likes to see a foal struggling.

But the conventional wisdom is, unless she's a maiden and in over her head, let the mare do her job and intervene only when it's 100% necessary.
  • Thanks, @Zenyen. It never even occurred to me to notice exactly what Rockcide was looking like; I was too focused on the foal. I'm sure THEY were watching her and she very well may have been sending signals that I missed. Another reason I couldn't do what they do. Lol!

Thank you and I will do better trusting they're doing the right things.
  • I, too, thank you for your insights, @Zenyen. While I didn't stay up to see any of what transpired, it's nice to know for future foalings how things are managed from someone with experience. I love whelping puppies, have done several litters; what I take away from your post is, when watching webcams -- leave it to the equine experts. :)
  • KMMKMM Member
    What cams did you guys watch? Any links to pics?
  • @KMM, It's a cam yearly subscription at Winstar Stablemates. For $39.95 you get access to their foaling cams and the stallion cams which show the stallions in their stalls and in the ring when they have clients to look at them and some other things. It is worth it to me just for the foaling cams. If you're interested, just go to Winstar Stablemates and go to their store to buy a membership. It really is fun and interesting.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I have a nonpaying membership already.:)
  • For this whole month, they have the cams up for free! So @KMM you can go on there now and see it
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited January 2016
    Im also watching foals being born at Country Life Farm in Maryland. They have cams up now

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/foaling-stall