Royal Ascot

KetaKeta Member
A new year, a new set of runners.

Comments

• Andrew Bensley tweets Monday Jan. 11 2016 Breaking:
    Golden Slipper winner Vancouver is set to join the stable of Aidan O'Brien in Ireland and will be aimed towards Royal Ascot.
    Quarantine details are being finalised right now with Vancouver likely to do a fortnight here (Australia) before jetting out to Ireland.
    Trainer Aidan O'Brien will aim Vancouver towards Royal Ascot but he'll also look at other European Summer Carnival races.
    Obviously connections are hoping to make Vancouver into an International stallion. Being Slipper winner he's secured his breeding lines here
    James Bester @CoolmoreAus told @SkySportsRadio1 maybe a race like Queen Anne at Royal Ascot would suit Vancouver but Aidan O'Brien decides.
  • £1 Million Boost To Royal Ascot Prize Fund
    Ascot Racecourse today announces that Royal Ascot prize money has been increased by £1 million (18% uplift on 2015) this year, bringing total prize money on offer to a record £6,580,000 over the week.
    Also unveiled today are plans for the new Unsaddling Enclosure, a £700,000 project that began earlier this month and will see a new, purpose built area in operation in time for the 2016 flat season.
    ROYAL ASCOT PRIZE MONEY
    As well as record prize money and an overall £1 million increase over the week, for the first time, every day at Royal Ascot will offer prize money of at least
    £1 million and none of the 30 races will be run for less than £80,000 (£60,000 in 2015).
    Headline increases include:
    Prince of Wales’s Stakes - £750,000 from £525,000.
    Queen Anne Stakes - £600,000 from £375,000.
    Diamond Jubilee Stakes - £600,000 from £525,000.
    (For complete list & information, see link below)
    https://www.ascot.co.uk/1m-boost-royal-ascot-prize-money
  • KetaKeta Member
    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM EQUIBASE

Equibase Adds International Entries, Results
    By Blood-Horse Staff March 22, 2016
    Equibase Company announced March 22 the expansion of racing coverage on equibase.com with the addition of entries and results from several international racing jurisdictions, including the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/98521/equibase-adds-international-entries-results?
  • KetaKeta Member
    RACE REPLAY: 2016 Maker's 46 Mile
    TVG Network Published on Apr 15, 2016
    Miss Temple City wins the 2016 Maker's 46 Mile Saturday at Keeneland.

Twinspires Published on Apr 15, 2016
    Miss Temple City defeated males in the Maker's 46 Mile on Friday, April 15, at Keeneland Race Course. The Temple City filly could target the prestigious Royal Ascot meeting. Another leader of the female turf division, champion Tepin, runs on Saturday at Keeneland in the Coolmore Jenny Wiley Stakes
  • KetaKeta Member
    Motion Considers Ascot Return for Miss Temple City
    By Blood-Horse Staff April 16 2016
    Trainer Graham Motion was all smiles April 16, as he reflected on the April 15 victory of Miss Temple City over males in the $300,000 Maker's 46 Mile Stakes (gr. IT) at Keeneland.
    Excerpts from article:
    "I always thought she was special," Motion said. "She reminds me a lot of Film Maker."

While Film Maker raced exclusively in the U.S., Miss Temple City could be headed back to Royal Ascot, where she finished a close fourth in last year's Coronation Stakes (Eng-I).
    "I am thinking about the Duke of Cambridge, a group II at Royal Ascot (June 15) that is a mile on the straight," Motion said. "I think a mile might be her deal."
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/210852/motion-considers-ascot-return-for-miss-temple-city
  • KetaKeta Member
    Tepin Wins Jenny Wiley
    twinspires Published on Apr 16, 2016
    Last year's champion and Breeders' Cup Mile winner Tepin continued her winning ways with an authoritative victory in the Jenny Wiley Stakes on Saturday, April 16, at Keeneland Race Course. Could Royal Ascot be next for this dynamo?

• KetaKeta Member
    Tepin Sets Jenny Wiley Record
    By Claire Novak The Blood-Horse April 16 2016
    Robert Masterson's champion Tepin put on a show in her April 16 return to Keeneland, sprinting away from the competition to win the $350,000 Coolmore Jenny Wiley Stakes (gr. IT) by five lengths. Watch Video
    The Mark Casse trainee broke a mark that stood at the Lexington oval for 20 years when she took the 1 1/16-mile test in a stakes-record time of 1:40.53 on firm turf.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/210853/tepin-sets-jenny-wiley-record
    From article:
    While a start in the June 14 Queen Anne Stakes (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot is on the docket for Tepin, Casse said the May 7 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile Stakes (gr. IIT), a race Tepin won in 2015, is something the connections will "definitely think about." The Sept. 17 Ricoh Woodbine Mile (gr. IT) could also be a future target for the outstanding turf female of 2015.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Sprinter Sacre superb in Celebration Chase romp
    By Nick Pulford Racing Post.com 23 APR 2016
    Report: Sandown, Saturday
    bet365 Celebration Chase (Grade 1) 1m7½f, 5yo+
    SPRINTER SACRE rounded off a memorable season in tremendous style by completing a perfect four-from-four with a brilliant and dominant triumph in the bet365 Celebration Chase.
    Un De Sceaux was a well-beaten second after a terrible blunder at the Pond fence, three from home. As well as dashing his chance of victory, the mistake was a near fatal blow to trainer Willie Mullins' title hopes.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/sandown-sprinter-sacre-superb-in-celebration-romp/
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited April 2016
  • KetaKeta Member
    Royal Ascot televised live in US from next year
    By Bill Barber Racing Post 23 MAY 2016
    ROYAL ASCOT is set to be televised live in the US from next year as part of a multi-year agreement signed with American media company NBCUniversal.
    NBC's Sports Network will show the meeting daily with at least 15 hours of coverage across the five days.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/royal-ascot-to-be-televised-live-in-us-from-2017/2087525/top/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

• I was really excited when I saw ads for NBC airing Royal Ascot next year. I feel like they've done a good job of trying to promote horse racing as a sport.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Harzand Gives Aga Khan Fifth Epsom Derby Win
    By Frank Angst The Blood-Horse June 4 2016
    The Aga Khan homebred Harzand moved to the lead in mid-stretch of the Investec Epsom Derby (Eng-I) and fought off a challenge from US Army Ranger to win the 1 1/2-mile classic June 4 at Epsom Downs.
    Jockey Pat Smullen picked up his first Epsom Derby win after delivering a well-timed move, opening a clear advantage when passing Idaho in midstretch, and then fending off runner-up US Army Ranger, the 7-2 favorite, for a 1 1/2-length victory in the £1,545,000 ($2.25 million) classic, the most lucrative race ever run in Great Britain.
    https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212166/harzand-gives-aga-khan-fifth-epsom-derby-win
    Keta Note: Yes, I know The Derby is not the same as Ascot.
    Couldn't figure a better place to post. Sorry.
  • KetaKeta Member
    The Jockey Club Race Replays
    2016 Investec Derby (Epsom Derby)
    http://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/video/2016064/2604299/15533015
    Great video with overhead shots of race
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited June 2016
    TEPIN WON!!!!! All the British commentators were saying she wouldn't win because she had to overcome shipping, the softest course at Ascot since 1971, a straight course for the first time, a jockey who hadn't raced at Ascot, no Lasix, and no nasal strip. What an AMAZING racehorse! We are so so lucky to have her!

EDIT: This is the best video I could find of the race this early:
  • Hooray for Tepin!

I love it that some of the best American horses in training are females: Beholder, Songbird, and Tepin.
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Marcus Hersh ‏@DRFHersh · Tues. June 14 2016
    Last horse to win Queen Anne the June after winning BC Mile was Goldikova in 2010, & it's not wrong to mention Tepin in same sentence.
  • Tepin is also the first non-European horse to win the Queen Anne! What a year for the fillies, huh? =D
  • Wooo!! I was worried her breathing issues would give her trouble, but look at how she ran! We have such a special filly, who now puts us in contention with the the rest of the world with her turf talents. She's going to have a hero's welcome upon her return!
  • Hats off to this game filly race who won on very soft ground for Ascot. Hopefully we will see more sporting owners not afraid to come here and out of their comfort zone so that racing can become truly international again and hopefully drug free as California Chrome and now Tepin have proved that they can race and win without them.
  • TEPIN WON!!!!! All the British commentators were saying she wouldn't win because she had to overcome shipping, the softest course at Ascot since 1971, a straight course for the first time, a jockey who hadn't raced at Ascot, no Lasix, and no nasal strip. What an AMAZING racehorse! We are so so lucky to have her!

EDIT: This is the best video I could find of the race this early:
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/tepin-conquers-international-field-queen-anne-stakes/#.V2Bx7bHIwPw.facebook
  • Hooray for Tepin!

I love it that some of the best American horses in training are females: Beholder, Songbird, and Tepin.
    Don't forget Catch a Glimpse! :)

Great job big lady!
  • And once Lady Eli is back, we've really got a spectacular lineup of fillies and mares.