Our Fallen Heros of the Race Tracks - Rest In Peace

KarenGogueKarenGogue Member
Some of you may wonder from time to time, like myself, about a horse that you had been following on the racing circuits around the country. Now you can ... it is not a joyful site, however. It is sad to find out one you may have been following has passed on. Here is the link if you'd like to join the discussion - if you don't, it is understandable. http://scrollsequus.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Wow, such a long sad list.
  • Yes, it is sad ... but it is beautifully done ... here is their mission statement:
    Let this M E M O R I A L …

Uphold the history, beauty, and dignity of Equus as a species,
    represented by racehorses toiling in a global industry

Reflect the horses’ courage and willingness to serve, which gives us
    a companion, livelihood, pastime, and the spectacle of sport

Recognize and respect horses as individuals with names, athletic talent,
    and meaning for those who follow their progress and grieve their loss

Hear the horses’ voice … in the work they’re born to perform,
    the glory and pain, and the silence of their ultimate sacrifice

Honor God’s gift to humankind …

© EquusEditorial

• Thanks, Karen. I didn't know such a site existed. It is always a good idea to think of those who paid the ultimate price for our enjoyment of racing - they should be honored and remembered, in my opinion. Breaks my heart, but at least they are not forgotten.
  • Sobering to see how few deaths occurred at SA in the synthetic era compared to before and after. Yikes.

Also, that list is PETA's dream come true.
  • I was dismayed to see Mambo Meister on the list. I had no idea.
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaa This list is huge HUGE some things must change it's disgraceful these most noble of animals should be taken care of, not over raced,not to be raced injured,and so many more reasons, which are over looked for various reasons. Just too sad.
  • Love the poem. It says exactly how I feel about horses' generosity in allowing us the race them. RIP all of them. I remember Big Truck.
  • I too found out about mambo meister while searching for another horse on that list. it shocked me. i remember seeing him race. drf posted a article on it that i did not see either. the trainer of mambo said he heard a loud pop after the horse went past the wire i think. they vanned him off the track and looked at him. it was one of his hind legs. a fracture and shattered hock or pastern
  • I know of 2 that are not on the list, both occurred at Colonial Downs last summer.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I too found out about mambo meister while searching for another horse on that list. it shocked me. i remember seeing him race. drf posted a article on it that i did not see either. the trainer of mambo said he heard a loud pop after the horse went past the wire i think. they vanned him off the track and looked at him. it was one of his hind legs. a fracture and shattered hock or pastern
    Hi Rachel....bloodhorse has article on Mambo Meister today...injury occurred in training accident
  • What i read went into more detail about the injury :/ it also said he was training when it happened. so sad :(
  • Lovestruck- I loved Big Truck. Not too long after he died Barbara Livingston posted a photo of him as a foal. A head shot really. Just precious and it brought me to tears.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    RIP...two lost in one steeplechase today...
  • RIP...two lost in one steeplechase today...
    synchronized and dont know who the other one was. synchronized broke down a few strides after jumping fense #6
  • Thats not the only horse who died tho. there was another Gotteny O's broke down also after jumping a fense and running on. he broke his leg was pulled up. aintree is a bad place. and beechers brooke is a bad fence. horses fall and stumble over even the small fences tho. Gotta root for Big Bucks that horse was amazing
  • Synchronized and according to pete. i read synchronized went down at bechers brook but continued to run on til the 11th fence he jumped that on his own but fell over it and landed weird causing the fracture. according to pete fractured his leg the second time around going over bechers brook a second time. i say take out bechers brook all together if u cant make it safer
  • KarenGouge - Very interesting spreadsheet. Curious to study the data that you have provided. Thank you. Rest in peace all the dear horses that take a place on this list.
  • DMRLADMRLA Member
    Bobina RIP 5/5/2012
    “Senorita Stakes ends tragically for winner…” The tragedy is that this courageous unbeaten filly was forced to run beyond her endurance. “Bobina won with strong urging from ,,,” what a cruel euphemism for such a mercenary act. Once again the senseless and unnecessary death of an innocent beautiful creature has driven me away from racing. It is time for some of the barbaric traditions of racing be changed. I fervently wish that the whip be banned from thoroughbred racing. I am not naïve enough to expect this to happen soon or perhaps ever, but a sport I loved has lost all appeal because of cruel and immoral practices. I weep for the horses I despair for people.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I wouldnt start pointing fingers just yet. the horse wasnt tiring she was exelerating even with the whip. she was bumped by the other horse and that might of been what caused her to take a bad step and fracture her fetlock. sometimes accidents happen. the sewards looked at the replay over and over again before declaring that there wont be anything done. bad steps can, have, and will happen. a tragic loss for owner and trainer and anyone else involved. i cant imagine how they feel to be so excited their horse got up to win and in a blink of an eye they lose her. RIP