Mea Ola's Place

Comments

• Here's a great video of Gasston getting to relive his glory days when he got to play with and mentor Rowdy. With Fila, he has a new baby to interact with. As you can see by her tail and trot, she is an Arabian. And also as you can see, Gasston is really happy to have this baby to play with. He can hug her with his head on her back. Rowdy's back is way too high for him to do that with him any more.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1430020867088478/ Gasston's way of running here is his "play" run that he always used with Rowdy.
  • Too cute! Thanks for sharing.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited July 2017
    Remember these little guys?
    Wolfie with his mama Jiffy

Flappy with his mama, Poppy

They were born last summer at MOP, the first BLM donkey babies born there. Well they have been adopted and will be going together.

There was a donkey, I believe named Sophia, who was a very popular exhibit at the California Living Museum (CALM) in Bakersfield. Sadly this beloved elderly girl died recently and the Museum searched for the perfect replacement and they have chosen both Wolfie and Flappy. So wonderful for all involved. The sweet young donks will continue to get lots of attention and love, just as they have from all the visitors and the summer camp kids at MOP. Ann will be delivering them to Bakersfield on Thursday. The Press will be there. This is quite exciting. Today the CALM handlers came to MOP to meet the boys and do some work with leading them. They will be getting their very own halters. Here are pictures from today's visit.

Pictures from MOP facebook, page 30July2017 and 19June and 23July of 2016.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Very cool!
  • Oh, those donkeys are so cute, and Fila is looking great! Thanks for the update, VA.
  • It's good to see these guys have found a happy, forever home. I was reading this morning about the crises for donkeys around the world because a substance from their hide is valuable to Traditional Chinese Medicine! People just make me so very sad.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Flappy has the most ridiculously cute huge ears! <3
  • Wonderful news for Wolfie and Flappy --- a very special forever home! Ann should be so proud of this --- it speaks volumes for Mea Ola's Place and her reputation as a first class rescue.
  • So cool!!
  • Baby Updates of the horsey kind:

Here is Fila with 36-year old Speedy. His story is at http://www.meaola.org/speedy.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1444098042347427/

and here are Dallas and Marilyn. https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1444124059011492/
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    edited August 2017
    Wow, Fila looks great, she's getting big, shedding to a beautiful color and seems full of herself! Love that tail, someone who posted on the site called her "Fila Flippy Tail" and that certainly suits her. Glad to see her with Speedy --- she needs to spend some time with a horse "nanny", she is a horse! Gasston probably needs a break --- she seems so full of energy, I bet she tires him out!
    Dallas and Marilyn are thriving under Ann's care and their Mama's look great, too. Can't believe the different in just a few short weeks.
    Thanks for posting the update @VA_in_CA
  • ha ha. She is a feisty one. But Gasston is only about 8 and Speedy is 36. Most of the horses as MOP spend much of their time in individual corral-stalls. They are right next to other horses or donkeys, but they each have their own water and food and are safe from hurting each other when unsupervised. When they are in turnout in pairs or groups, someone is always keeping an eye on them. So her uncles have plenty of space to rest. Her stall is next to Gasston, I think, although normally he is next to Rowdy. I haven't been there since she got out of quarantine, so not sure where they are usually.
  • I've gotten way behind in updates and need to do that soon. First, here is a post from Mea Ola's Place. They, like all rescues, especially those for expensive animals like horses, are struggling with the finances this summer, as usual for summer. Here is a great post from Ann where you can see how financial limitations impact the ability, or lack of ability, to save horses. She clearly spells out where the money goes.

from Ann Kline, President and Founder of Mea Ola's Place:

"Pretty horses, tired hands, and an empty bank account.

"It's that time of the month...Mid month hay drive!
    The Feed Barn 760-868-4840

"I'd like to take this opportunity to share some things with all of you. I was forwarded a post this morning about another rescue founder that is disheartened to say the least . Every week I see many posts by people in rescue that are frustrated, burned out, stressed out, disheartened and depressed. I battle of all of this myself.
    A few days ago, I read a post called "Rescue is HARD", written by a fellow rescuer. HARD is an understatement. Social media has been both good and bad for those of us in rescue, and in my experience, mostly good. But, for horse rescue in general, maybe not-so-good. Here's just a few reasons why:
    We have "kill-lots" and traders posing as rescues. We have people with not-so-good intentions playing on people's heart strings for donations to "save" horses. It has gotten to the point that unless someone starts screaming, "The truck is coming" or threatening the horse will go to slaughter (which in some cases is true, and many others, is not)...people aren't donating with fervor.

"We have ceased all intakes until we can get more committed boots on the ground, more regular sponsors and a grant. We've been working with a skeleton crew all summer. In the last few weeks, we have turned down other rescues asking us to take horses in, and just this last week THREE different people stopped here to see if we could take in horses. One was going through health issues (cancer), another person lost their job and has to relocate, and another just couldn't properly care for theirs any longer. This was IN ADDITION to two messages to our page to take in older horses. AND a message from someone trying to help place nine horses from a stable that used to give lessons that is closing.
    Mea Ola's Place is known in our community for helping others. We give everything we have to help those that ask of us, whether it be tractor work to fix a damaged road, help elderly folks put up shelters, try and help a horse stuck in a hole, we have been there for our volunteers that need handyman work...etc. And of course last year, we helped 29 families for months after the Blue Cut Fire. We have received two awards from San Bernardino County this year...one for our volunteerism, and a HERO award for our FREE equine programs serving sexual abuse survivors, foster children and seniors. But, we can't help by taking in more horses at this time and it saddens me.
    While I could go on and on here, the fact is, MOP needs help right now. The real rescue work and need for donations starts when they get their "safe landing" and are rescued.
    I am going to post our books from the final month of our fiscal year, which is July. It wasn't a good month. On this you will see that the entire lease payment ($3000) isn't in there, because Chris paid it. Also not on there are donations to the feed stores and what we spent ourselves. Last month,we were able to spend about $600 less of our own money on feed because of those donations. Just so you all know, Chris and I pay rent(fair market value) and a portion of the utilities for living here, but most times, we end up paying the entire payment, or all of the utilities, plus approximately 1/3 of the feed bill.

"A person in rescue posted a question a while back "How would life be different if your rescue was fully funded?" Wow, that's an awesome thing to dream about! This year was supposed to be our year for grants and because of an IRS mistake that I have been working on getting fixed since MAY of this year, they are on hold. At one point the IRS had us completely out of the system's data base as if MOP didn't even exist! That has been fixed, but they are taking their time attaching last year's 990 to our EIN. (THEY filed it with a wrong number, the number was correct on our 990) This year's taxes are almost ready to file. Our fiscal year runs from August 1st through July 31st.

"So, this is the first month of our new year! I'm not ready to quit!

"If even 1% of our followers could give a bale of hay each month, that would almost cut our feed bill in half.

"Please call the Feed Barn at 760-868-4840 or you can donate to our paypal info@meaola.org or click: http://www.meaola.org/donate-today-
    ""Our current monthly budget is about $9000. By the end of this month, just before we file our 990, I will share it with all of you so you can see where this money goes and how it is spent all year. (You can find last year's at the Ca Attorney General's website)

"As you can see from last month's income and expense report...we only took in $2,165 in "cash" donations. We had income from boarding and summer camps. The rest of the money came from Chris and I that kept us afloat. We give all we have and more to keep MOP operational in terms of funding and I work during every day light hour here. Please consider a monthly commitment, either to our feed store or via paypal so we can continue the work we started. God willing, the IRS will have their mistake fixed by the end of this month and we can move forward with the grants.
    PS: while looking through the report, please note that the septic service was not for the house or we would have paid that. It was for a porta potty for camps and an event we had for Georgie's passing."

The post includes a picture of a horse and another of a "tired hand," which I won't put here, but I do include the financial report for those interested, especially if you have been considering starting a rescue. :)

from Mea Ola's fb page, 14Aug17.
  • KMMKMM Member
    A long post Va_in_Ca. Will think about the hay and a contribution. You have convinced me that Ann runs a legitimate business. K
  • Wezzie will vouch for MOP, too, as she we went up there together the last time I went, in July.
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    edited August 2017
    @VA_in_CA I just sent a donation --- hope to send more next month. Ann and Mea Ola's place is trully a worthy rescue.
  • Sorry to be so late in posting the next batch of pictures. Refer to the top of this page for the announcement that Wolfie and Flappy had been adopted by the CA Living Museum (CALM) in Bakersfield, CA. Here are pictures of their arrival there on 3 August 2017.

Chris with Flap Jack and Ann with Wolfman Jack, justifiably proud of their babies/

The woman who facilitated the adoption meets Flappy.

Wolfie and Flappy settling into their new duties at CALM.

This is Peggy, the pony, who is in the next pen and had been lonely since, Sophie, their original donkey crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Word is that both Flappy and Wolfie are in love with her. hahaha

Here's a video showing their arrival.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1442892015801363/

Ann and Chris also got to take a private tour of the Park. Here is Chris getting to pet a mountain lion. She was raised there from a baby.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1442954385795126/

Ann got to hold a baby big-horned sheep and pet a bobcat.

All pictures from MOP facebook page, 3August17.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Looks like a bobcat to me, but fun.
  • KMM said:

Looks like a bobcat to me, but fun.

That's what I said. --?
  • KMMKMM Member
    I thought that you said mountain lion...
  • The mountain lion is in the video with Chris. Easy to overlook, I guess.
  • See my post in Worthy Horse Rescues for today (Tuesday) about the race horse trainer who gave his horse breaks and took him out on trail rides and gave him to MOP when he was injured on the track. It's a great story. I posted a video with that post of the OTTB of the story, Crush, playing together with Shalia the black Arab and Murphy the 6 year old donkey rescued from the Lancaster Auction in the spring. Ann carefully put him in with two strong horses because Murphy apparently has a reputation for being rough with other donkeys and passive horses. That was on Friday. On Saturday she decided to try something different and she put Murphy out with Rowdy and Gasston. The result was surprising.

Here is Ann's introduction, and then the video. "Well, I was wrong about another donk with Murphy. Gasston is holding his own with Murphy today. They are actually having a blast together. I won't put Murph with any other donk though. This is actually the first time since we have had Gasston that he has had a donkey for a playmate." Note how Gasston cleverly walks past a post guiding Murphy to walk into it with an audible bonk.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1451085314982033/

Here is Ann's reply to a question about Murphy being unable to be put with another donkey: "His previous owners said he attacked others. Maybe they didn't realize donkeys play rough. (Especially the boys). I am just being cautious. Figured I'd try Gasston because I know he can take care of himself. They are really enjoying each other."

I also have to laugh at Rowdy. Since he isn't the star of the show, he's not interested. hahaha
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited August 2017
    Ann's post about the difficulty of raising funds without the drama of the "slaughter truck coming" has yielded some happy results. More hay for the horses and donkeys at MOP. Here is Ann's post today:

"Omg! You guys and gals are AMAZING! We raised $535 dollars and 24 bales of hay for the mid month hay drive at the Feed Barn ! That's over a week's worth of feed! Not to mention the PayPal donations!!! ( I haven't tallied those up yet!)

"...Many people left their names on the receipts. I was surprised to see so many new names and so much generosity from newcomers as well as from those I recognized!

"Please PM the page if you'd like to remain anonymous and I won't mention your name when I have all of the receipts in hand after our delivery and do the thank you post. (The feed stalls are full atm with feed, so we won't get this delivery until next week).
    Thank you all so much for donating and for sharing!!!"

What a great response. I noticed some people here responded. Thank you. I wasn't soliciting, just posting her post to illustrate the difficulties encountered by people in the horse rescue business. It's expensive for dog and cat rescues, too, but their care is not so expensive as is the care for horses and donkeys. It is also why many of these rescues post about particular horses or donkeys needing help right then at that time. Especially if the alternative is the slaughter pipeline.
  • Here's a comment from an MOP "fan" who went for an in-person visit. I would encourage all of you who live in the SoCal area to do the same. Call and make arrangements ahead to make sure that Ann will be there. There is also a public tour scheduled for August 27th. It's a great outing, for kids, too.

"A week or so ago I brought my mom my aunt and my daughter to Mea Ola's Place so they could see what it is that I'm always talking about. Ann was kind enough to give us a private tour. When we got home my aunt and my daughter and my mom all said that Mea Ola's was not what they had expected. They were all amazed at how clean it was, how happy all of the horses were, how organized it was and how BIG it was. But what I think really speaks more than that is how amazed they were at the connection that Ann has with all of the horses and donks. They couldn't get over how she knew everybody's history down to the smallest detail. And that's no easy task considering how many horses and donkeys she's responsible for. Ann, thanks again for taking time out of your busy day to show my family around the ranch. You most definitely have 3 more fans."
  • I feel like I am racing to catch up. Sigh. Sorry I got kind of behind. Here are two (yay!) updates from Friday, 11 August 2017, on Fila, the 3-4 month old baby turned over to MOP after she was orphaned by the euthanasia of her badly foundered mother when both were saved in the parking lot at the auction by Hi Caliber about 2 months ago. She's 5-6 months now. Remember she spent her quarantine period with Uncle Gasston. Ann reports that she is an amazingly easy-to-train filly, and obviously very smart, as you can see in the first video.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1450441411713090/
    and in turnout with Uncle Speedy, who is 36 years old.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1450476431709588/
    What a special little filly.