Mea Ola's Place

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited March 2016
    I think the pair of Ravens who lived at the old Mea Ola site, followed the trail of "happy vibes" over to the new location too! :oD
  • Could be.

Here's a picture Ann posted that she took this morning from the front porch of the house at the new location.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oooo! A double rainbow! Double good luck! Beautiful photo!
  • Wow. As a very sentimental person, I can completely understand your feelings about the old place v. the new place as you share your thoughts with us along with the before/after photos. In fact, I'm sitting here misty eyed just thinking of those emotions you were going through. The newest picture of the double rainbow puts a huge smile on my heart because of the promise of a better place for Mea Ola's Place. The neighbor from the old place suing for dust blowing is something I would be very happy to be rid of - lol!! It's the desert - dust happens! Thank you for taking us along on your journey.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited March 2016
    Thank you, Celeste. It takes me a lot of time to do these posts because I have to use tinypic (which is often extremely slow) to post pictures and before that, I have to save them into my personal files (I have a huge file for Mea Ola's Place, hahaha) and I go back a lot to rephrase what I've written. So it might take me an hour or two to enter a post here. Comments such as yours, and PG's and some others, make it all worthwhile.
  • Ann is now finding time to do some updating for us. (She says she worked on moving stuff every day from Feb 6 until Mar 6. Wow.)

Here's an update on Carmen. She's the mare they took in on Feb 14th, the day the last of the horses were moved over to the new location. She had belonged to a woman in the new neighborhood who couldn't care for her, or afford food anymore. Seems Carmen is a BLM, captured wild mustang. She had been stuck in a small corral for several years, with very little room to move around and her feet hadn't been trimmed in a long time. Here are some photos Ann posted this morning of Carmen's foot trim. Yoicks. Not sure when the trim was done. Sometime in late Feb, I guess.

Here's Carmen on 12 Feb 2016 before she got to MOP:
    Here's one of her feet before trimming:
    Here's the part that was trimmed off:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pictures from Mea Ola's Place facebook pages

I'm sure Carmen is much happier and more comfortable now. She's probably also half a hand shorter. hahaha. She's a very small girl. Here's the picture I took of her stalled (on the left) next to Little Man, who is a child-sized pony.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture taken by VA_in_CA on Feb 16th.

For size comparison, here is Little Man last summer during one of the kids camps. He is now 18, and Ann says he is "bombproof," and still as cute as a foal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture from Mea Ola's Place Website, www.meaola.org.

• Awe, thanks VA. From the looks of it, glad MOP was there to take in Carmen. I'm sure shes at least 1/2 hand shorter. Little Man is as cute as a button!
    edited March 2016
    It occurs to me that you might want to see pictures of the two amazing people who are behind Mea Ola's Place.

Here are a couple of Ann who founded the Place. These were both from MOP's original location in Tehatchapi, CA. The first horse is one named Jack who was adopted out, and the second horse is Volt, who still lives at MOP.

I don't see Chris very often, because he's usually at work when I go up there, but here's one Ann posted at one of the kid's camps.

And here he is on July 4th last year, introducing Gasston to Romeo, who was afraid of Gasston when he first saw him (too funny).

And here is a pic of the two with Hannah, Ann's daughter, who will be the trainer at the new location, and living in the mobile home on site. She's about 20 and already has 3 horses of her own.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Previous pictures all taken from Mea Ola's facebook pages.

and here they are celebrating Rowdy's first birthday, 23 May 2015 :
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic This picture taken by VA_in_CA on 23 May 2015.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I hope the girl could walk after that extreme trim.:)
  • Yes, and apparently a lot better.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Wow!
  • Beautiful people and beautiful horses! Thank them for all their hard work. :)
  • Aww, that poor little Carmen! So glad she is now safely in Ann's capable, loving hands and can begin to recover from her neglect. Those feet!!! I could understand having a little tenderness to begin with from such a dramatic trim, but over all, I'm sure it will make a huge difference in how she feels. Thank you so much for sharing the photos and more comments about Ann and her family - they are all beautiful people and from what you have said before about Ann she is truly a wonderful horsewoman. The kind I would like to be when I grow up - she is amazing. Thank you!!
  • See p 1 of this thread for pictures of Captain and Porky, who came via Hi Caliber from the Ontario Auction on 16 February, straight to the new location. They have been in Quarantine for 3 weeks. Mostly they have been living in separate corrals just outside the barn. Here they got to have their first turnout, in the round pen. What a difference in their demeanor already. Check out these two videos, posted on 8 March, 2016. https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/993389750751594/

https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/993398594084043/
  • Thanks for sharing the new videos!
  • Captain and Porky sure was thankful for the turnout! Love Captain's markings.
  • KMMKMM Member
    How does Ann have the finances to pay for all of these horses? She must be a money manager and have good donor support!
  • She has very good donor support; she's got sponsors for a lot of the horses; she's an excellent organizer of fund raisers; many of the horses that she takes in as favors for some (Carmen's owner, Dr. Sam, etc.) are donated to MOP, the 4 rescues from Hi Caliber were purchased at the Auction by Hi Caliber donors and taken as a favor to Hi Caliber, which is pressed for space; Ann and Chris do all of the work themselves with help from dedicated volunteers; they spend most of their income caring for the horses. Special help arrives from unexpected sources. The owner of their new property donated thousands of dollars toward the down payment, and paid for the repair of the wind turbine that generates electricity for the property, a great savings because the December electric bill at the smaller old location was over $400. No more electric bills now. Some of the programs they run, example children's camps and birthday parties, bring in some money. Other programs she provides for free to the participants, such as Senior Saturdays and some of the Equine Therapy programs.

All those programs are on hiatus now while they get things organized and put away at the new place. Chris is building a shed for storing feed that can be seen in the video posted below. It's just beyond Gasston's stall that is next to Rowdy's on the right. (I suspect the empty stall on the left will be Spider's eventually. He's still awaiting his appointment with Dr. Sam for his gelding.) They recently hired two people to be caretakers, and Ann reports that both have worked right along with them from dawn to dusk. The video was posted a couple of days ago to introduce them to the "fans." The back of the shed being built is on the right at the very beginning. https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/993991384024764/

And here are before and after 3-weeks contrast pictures of Captain. He does have a lip tatoo, and he is a TB. They haven't tried to find out who he is yet--too busy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 17 Feb 2016

and 8 March 2016
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pictures from Mea Ola's Place facebook page.
  • Here are Vinny and Westly (who just arrived a few weeks ago from the place where Vinny came from last year), out for a stroll with Ann. The house is behind Ann's head. The chestnut in the background is one of the horses donated to Hannah by the original owner of the ranch there. Its name is DJ. Then I posted a video below of "some of the boys," as Ann says.

Picture and video from Mea Ola's Place facebook page, 12 March 2016
    The paint horse in the video is Romeo; the sexy chestnut is Volt; the roller is Merlin; the dark bay with no white socks is Speedy (oldest horse on the ranch at age 35): and on the left, the chestnut drinking from the blue bucket is Walker. All enjoying turnout. Nice to see Volt with the group; he doesn't always do well with other horses.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/995762087181027/
    edited March 2016
    Correction to the first paragraph in the post above. DJ is not one of Hannah's. She is a boarder. She is in a pen with Sadie, another boarder.

Here is a delightful video of a daily visitor who goes through that pen on the way from the barn to visit Ann and Chris every morning as they have their coffee. Ann says DJ and Sadie are very gentle with this"trespasser." And below in the comments is my take on this. hahahaha https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/995595987197637/
    edited March 2016
    Here's an unexpected update--on Drummer, the stud donated by the previous owners to Hannah. Well, somehow he has become a member of MOP. Turns out he is 20 years old. I cannot believe that!

Here's a repost of his picture:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture from Mea Ola's Place facebook page.

Here's Ann's comment about him.

"Originally Drummer was going to be Hannah's horse to work and sell to a good home. More than likely, his only market is for a breeding horse. He is very well bred and was tested homozygous. He produced some champion half-arabs. But, we all know I am not into breeding. Poor Drummer is already 20 years old and is actually a very easy to deal with stallion. I am sitting on the fence about gelding him. At 20, he will still have studdy tendencies after being gelded. There is a slight chance if he is gelded that he could be adopted, or maybe even used in camps or? So, I am going to have a pow wow with Sam about what whether we should do it or not. He is a MOP horse now. We have made a pen so he can socialize with Gasston and other geldings. He has been somewhat isolated for years. I don't think he got out much the last few years either. I have seen a dramatic change in this horse since we got here. We allow him play time with the ball and he gets attention just about every day. He has gone from a statue like, quiet, almost invisible horse...to being bright eyed, animated, and looks for me for attention. I do believe he has "claimed" me as his own,"

This shows that the magic is working! It did transfer to the new location.
  • Drummer is good looking 20 yr old. Do they routinely geld elder stallions?
  • Well, it's pretty impossible to adopt out stallions since they are so difficult to house. They have to be kept isolated from other horses because of their raging hormones, so no one wants to deal with them unless they are using them to breed. Drummer sounds very sweet, but I still think he would be unpredictable around mares and even some macho geldings. So he couldn't be used for trail riding except by a very expert horseman. Volt was gelded at age 17 and he still has very studly qualities. He gets very upset when any male horse (even geldings) gets around Mea Ola, his special mare. And he gets upset when the other mares are in heat. He's not even a stallion anymore, but he rarely got to go out in the arena with other horses. But over the weekend, he was out in the big arena at the front of the new property with 4 other geldings. And at least his stall is right among the other horses. They've made new stalls that include one from Drummer where he will get to socialize with Gaston and other geldings. I think consulting with Dr. Sam is an excellent idea. He's going to have to do Spider soon.
  • Drummer is a beauty and I hope they can figure out something that will work for him. Sure he will still have a some of his studly actions/thoughts after gelding at a late age, if it is done, but I'll be willing to bet it will be slowed down enough for him to have a calmer, happier life and perhaps have a few friends. Social, herd connections are important for horses and it is sad when stallions have to be isolated so much of their lives, at least in my opinion. On the flip side, at the first barn where we boarded Sugarfoot, there was a gelding who was completely obnoxious with his studly tendencies to the point of bullying other horses and actually mounting the mares in season! As far as I know, he was not a late gelding but I wondered if he had been a ridgling and still had more testosterone lurking in his system.
  • Ann shares your opinion about the lonely life stallions lead, Celeste. She has already moved Drummer to a stall with the main herd. He does have the end stall, but he is right next to Gasston, the donkey, and beyond Gasston is Rowdy. Across the "drive" is Little Man, the pony, and next to him are Porky and Captain. So Drummer is there with other horses. As he gets to know them, they may try him in turnouts with a few. Ann says he has really glommed (my word) on to her. She says he whinnies to her when she is outside working. The only others who do that are Mea Ola and Rowdy. Sometimes Vinny does, too, but he whinnies to all humans, she says.

That's interesting about the obnoxious gelding you spoke of. You could be right about the ridgling condition. Volt, gelded only about 3 years ago, isn't quite that obnoxious. He was out with 4 other horses yesterday, so maybe he'll be better at the new place.