Mea Ola's Place

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    VA, how can this happen?
  • You mean the starvation? The elderly woman who was the owner went into a treatment facility for cancer treatments in Nov. She had someone who was supposed to take care of the horses, feeding, watering, etc. A pet sitter kind of person, I guess. But no one was around to supervise, so the horses were probably not fed very often. She just got home and had help from her sister to go out to see the horses. They called someone who called Ann at Mea Ola's. The woman is going into a full care facility, essentially to die, so she is turning the horses over to Mea Ola's Place. It's heartbreaking for the woman. Scary, too, because I worry about my pets in case something happens to me. I think, and hope, the neighbors would take care of them until other arrangements could be made. But I guess in the elderly woman with the horse situation, she may have had no reliable close neighbors. She had lived in her house since 1972. There's probably been a lot of turnover in that time, and newer, younger folks may not have befriended the old lady. Sad.
  • Sorry I didn't post updates last week on the two super skinny rescues they took in last Monday. (The upset around Zenyatta's foal intervened.) Mea Ola's Place got the funds they needed through donations and they took in the two horses Monday morning (11 April). The vets came to see them early in the afternoon.

Here is a picture of Rose on 13 April, looking better already after a grooming. I think she has a sweet face. The vets estimate her to be about 17.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    And here is Holly. She is estimated to be about 20 years old. They are both small, maybe in the 14+ hands high range (my estimate).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pictures by VA_in_CA.
    Sorry for the bad picture of Holly, but the sun was in the wrong location to take her picture from the front of her stall. Also, this angle shows how skinny they are.

They spent the first night, and possibly the second, in stalls inside the barn. Four of the other stalls are still occupied by chickens and turkeys. hahaha

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, here was the rehabilitation plan the two girls were started on upon their arrival on 11 April. "They will be on soaked Bermuda/ Alfalfa Pellets. Very small meals 6 times throughout the day/evening for the first week. We will gradually add to the size of the meals and go to 4 times a day. Then, their meals will include supplements gradually added. We won't know about hay until we see what condition their teeth are in. They will be dewormed with only half of what they should get for their weight when they arrive. A week later, they will get a full dose for their weight and one week after that, a double dose. In cases like this, we have to be careful not to kill all of the worms at once. We use pyrantal dewormer for the horses in poor condition and then once they are back up to weight, we use Ivermectin."

The vets gave them a body score of 1 and declared them healthy except for worms and the severe malnutrition. Holly had diarrhea, so they added psyllium to their diet and the worming has been delayed because they have to get rid of a lot of sand first. They will also delay getting the teeth worked on because this involves sedation and they want the two to be in better shape before sedating them.

Here's Ann's report from the morning after their arrival: The Vets "also found Holly to be full of sand and that is why she has diarrhea. Both girls have a habit of eating dirt now. It is not uncommon for starving horses to eat dirt to get something in their bellies. Getting the sand out is going to be a bit of a challenge because they can only have small amounts of food and psyllium. They literally get full after eating just a handful of soaked pellets.

"Rose was actually uncomfortable after eating yesterday and required a dose of pain meds last night. She had her first meal this morning and we will be watching them both very closely for some time.

"We have an escape artist in Holly! I did a midnight check on both girls and went out at 6 am to feed them, only to find Holly's barn stall open and she was no where to be found! She escaped and was hanging out with two of the boarded horses this morning. She now has a clip on her door latch!"

I (VA) saw the girls on Wednesday after all the rain and storm clouds had cleared out. The two were in adjoining paddocks just outside the barn, but the doors into the barn were closed. Unless the weather turns cold again, I think they'll remain stalled in these outside paddocks. They are on the sheltered north side of the barn with a wide over-head cover jutting out from the barn for shelter from sun and rain. From here they can observe all the ongoing activity on much of the ranch.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the windbreaks located at all the stalls are on the south side. The desert has strong steady winds and severe gusts, and the prevailing winds blow from the south. Odd, except when you realize that the high mountains -- the San Gabriel Mts. -- are to the south. The wind blows down from the mountains, which are snow-covered right now, so that wind is quite cold. The elevation at Phelan is between 3500 and 4000 feet. The mts are about 7000 -- 9000 feet. The highest mountain in that range is more to the west. It is Mt. San Antonio, and is over 10,000 feet, and is the 2nd highest mt. in SoCal. I believe it is Mt. San Antonio you can see from the grandstand, looking across the track at Santa Anitla. Mea Ola's Place is behind those mountains and more to the right, or east.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited April 2016
    Here's a video of Tess and Nani, running in the arena. Tess is the one with the longer tail. Turn sound on to hear her squeal as she runs. Video from MOP facebook page, posted 17 April 2016. https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1023109207779648/
  • Here's a heart-warming video of Carmen and Little Man, the pony. He never really had a friend at MOP to run with and now he has Carmen. She had spent probably months and months, if not years, just standing in her stall. Remember she was also lame when she arrived at MOP back in mid-March when they moved to the new location. Well, she's not lame any more, but she's not very experienced with running, so she has trouble keeping up with the shorter-legged pony. He looks really great, very proud of himself, too. Video from MOP facebook page, posted on 10 April 2016.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1018958951528007/
  • Here's an update video of Holly and Rose, the two emaciated starved horses rescued at Mea Ola's Place. They have been there now for 15 days. Here they are turned out in the round pen. They are still very skinny, but, as you can see, they are in good spirits. https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1029184737172095/
  • Here's a video of Vinny and Westly in turnout today. Vinny has been at MOP for 10 months, and Westly just joined shortly after the move to the new location. They had been friends for years and stalled next to each other at their former owner's place and now the two best buds are together again. Vinny is a TB--Warmblood cross, and Westly is a TB. They look beautiful together. Vinny is the bay and Westly the chestnut. https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1029168157173753/
    edited April 2016
    Part of Mea Ola's mission is to use the horses for various programs. Here is Vinny in the Horse Show on Saturday (4/23/16) in the Lead-Line class. His rider is Bianca (whose mother is one of the Board Members). Poor child was so sick with the flu that she had to devote all her energy to keeping herself from vomiting; but she went ahead and competed.
    And here is her sister Ariana riding Merlin in the same class.
    Merlin made himself very useful the next day (4/24/16) at the Open House. He's a versatile horse, a former champion Morgan. (See his amazing story on his page under "Our Horses" at www.meaola.org. ) He's 27 and has Cushings Disease. Still a champion. Check out his big smile for the camera.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pictures from MOP facebook page.
  • This was an important part of the festivities on Sunday. Cutting the ribbon and dedicating the new location for Mea Ola's Place. Present are Ann, Mea Ola, Chris, and a bunch of Board Members and volunteers on the right and local town leaders and friends on the left. (I wasn't in the picture because I was trying to calm Sassy down. She was in the turnout to the right--out of camera range--and going bonkers because she wanted to be with her mother. She was frantic and running up and down the fence, whinnying. She settled down a little bit for me, and was okay once they got her mama back in with her. So funny. Guess she thought her mama would get hurt with those big scissors. Funny girl.)

And here are a few of the activities. First, stick horse racing. Two women were making these stick horses at one of the Wild Horse rescues and giving them to all the children to keep, free. Very clever and the kids loved them. Here one of our shorter board members decided to give it a try, too.
    Very popular was the Put the Tail on the Donkey, using tape, not pins, and Gasston.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Gasston is such a sweet, patient donkey.

In the picture below, behind Ann and a contestant from the Put the Tail on the Donkey contest, you can see where the Wild Horse Rescues were set up. They were able to put their horses in the stalls adjoining the barn behind them. These horses were only demos, not for adoption, as examples of the fine-looking mustangs they had.
    Here is one of the vet clinics, this one about diagnosing and managing Cushings Disease. Horse is not one of Mop's.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pictures all from MOP facebook page.

I will post more tomorrow or so.

• Here are two pictures of Rowdy's full baby brother at 6 weeks. His name is Black Ice. He lives with his breeder in the high desert somewhere. He was born in late March.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pictures from MOP's facebook page, taken on 7 May 2016.
    edited May 2016
    Here are pictures of Captain, a horse rescued in late Feb. from auction by HiCaliber and picked up that night by Chris (after working all day on moving from the old location of MOP to the new). What a difference. Ann also reports that his personality has transformed as much as his body in the 9 weeks. He is now silly and full of personality, she says. All traces of the whip marks are gone as well. He is now being evaluated for ride-ability.

Here he is on 17 Feb 2016
    And here on 10 May 2016
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic (note Gasston and Rowdy across the drive from him.)

And from another angle, here again is Captain on 17 Feb 2016.
    And on 10 May 2016.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pictures from Mea Ola's Place facebook pages.
  • Here are Porky (Porkchop) and Captain in the arena today for turnout. 5/11/16.
    https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue/videos/1037345493022686/

They look soooo fantastic!
  • I love to watch that video above. Watching Captain and Porky in that brief race, you could see they were both being competitive. I don't know about Porky, but Captain has to be a former racehorse. He's a TB with a lip tattoo. Unfortunately, they can't read the numbers to get his true identity.
  • I'm glad they are moving to microchipping TB foals.
  • Yes, me too. Way overdue. They should do it for all foals and add new ones for each resale, so they can track down the responsible person who dumps the adult horse at auction. Most of the auction rescues have been youngish. Quartz is only 3 and he was very sweet and easy to manage even being a stud. There was evidence of an old bowed tendon that is healed, but that was his only issue. We need to find a better way to "retire" race horses than sending them to slaughter.
  • Good idea on rechipping. Or current owner could put in change of ownership, if allowed. There would have to be some way of policing this. Personally, I think there should be a huge fine for dumping a healthy horse at slaughter. I don't get that anyway. Isn't a horse worth more as a showhorse or even a trail horse than to slaughter? What, are they too lazy to consign an animal?
  • Who knows? They're obviously of the belief that horses are machines or just dumb animals, like one of a herd of cattle or of a flock of sheep.
  • I think it should be completely prohibited for racehorses.
  • KMMKMM Member
    As an aside, many people eat horsemeat in other countries, including Europe. I am glad that we don't. We can't rescue them all though. Humane euthanasia is a better alternative.:(
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    I understand that this all comes from a passionate place but in practical speaking, it will never work.

You can't force people to hang on to animals. If you try the animals still suffer, only it's a slow death by starvation and neglect. We had a case here in MD recently where some horses was found with 3 foot long hooves because the owners had neglected them for so long.

https://www.thedodo.com/horses-with-3-foot-long-hooves-freed-from-hellish-farm-1313931548.html

Look at Piper's sweet little face. Did he deserve to be neglected like that? Just because his owners hung on to him, and didn't dump him at auction, do you think he didn't suffer?

Micro-chipping, prohibiting owners from dumping their animals, shutting down auctions completely won't fix the issue. People will treat animals like disposable commodities, whether the auction option exists or not. Trying to force people like that to be responsible isn't the answer and in fact it would probably lead to even greater cruelty.

I know I'll hear screaming about this but perhaps strictly regulated, with fierce oversight to maintain veterinarian approved conditions slaughter is about as humane a broad range euthanasia option that exists for livestock?

It's what's done with unwanted domestic pets by the thousands, in shelters every day and a whole lot of them have micro-chips.
  • Absolutely. Here is something Mea Ola's Place hopes to do to address this very issue if they get some grant money from the ASPCA from the contest they entered with the Horse Show on April 23 and the Open House on April 24 for Help A Horse Day. This is just one of several things they plan to use the money for, and is one of the reasons I really love this outfit. (I know about this planned use of grant money because I edited the writing for the forms they had to submit.)

In pursuit of this goal [to save horses and to greatly reduce cruelty and neglect], we want to preemptively address the major causes of suffering by unwanted horses. This is a huge problem nationwide. One group cannot solve it alone, but we hope to make a difference in our area by helping to eliminate two major reasons for horses being discarded at auction, or neglected and abandoned. First, we would create a euthanasia fund for members of our community that do not have the full means for euthanasia and disposal of their sick, injured, or elderly horse when it is time. We will collaborate with Desert Mountain Veterinary and Vikki’s Pet Services (large animal removal) for this service, and solicit donations from our community to contribute to the fund as well. All applicants for funding would be carefully screened, with approval dependent on a vote held by our board members before any funds were allocated for these services. Secondly, in keeping with this goal, we would also like to create an emergency fund for horse owners who find themselves in serious financial trouble due to health issues, death, or loss of employment, and who have depleted all resources and options for rehoming or continuing to support their horse, and are left with no other option but to send the horse to auction. This fund would allow time for placement of the horse in a foster home or for it to come to Mea Ola’s Place, when open stalls are available. This fund would be used only for feed and veterinary or farrier care. Mea Ola’s Place would purchase and deliver feed to the horse's location, and coordinate with veterinarians or farrier for services as needed. Again, our board would vote and decide which applicants would receive the help. These two funds would surely help us get closer to our goal of having only happy, healthy horses in our community and the surrounding area."
    edited May 2016
    Today is a big day at Mea Ola's Place. It is Sassy's birthday. She is 4 years old now. Her dam is Mea Ola herself, who, during the late stages of her pregnancy, set the record for most "starers" on Mare Stare. There are over 500 pages of about 15 posts each of comments in their archives for Mea Ola. This was the beginning of the growth in followers for Ann's horse rescue which gradually morphed into Mea Ola's Place and has now outgrown the 5-acre ranch where they were previously based to a 10-acre ranch at a new location that is more accessible to the public and better suited to various horse-related events, Here is a video celebrating the beautiful Sassy.
    It shows 3 locations; for the first 6 months or so of Sassy's life, they were located in the Tehachepi mountains before they moved to the desert north of Ontario and San Bernardino.
  • Happy Birthday to Sassy! Fun video - thank you.
  • I found this video on my memory for today in my facebook page. I could never get it to post on the Forum, but I got the URL this time so I'm going to try again. https://www.facebook.com/carole.dougherty1/videos/979677902066754/ It is my favorite video of Rowdy being a big ham about the smell of coffee. hahaha I love the flehming but he does tend to exaggerate a bit. Hilarious. I works in the Preview so it should post. Yeay.
  • I got behind in my updates here. I attended Senior Saturday on the 21st, the first they've had since last fall when they began moving activities to pack up everything and move it all, lock, stock, and barrel, and 21 horses and a burro, 3 dogs, and a cat to their new location. I took some great videos after the others left and I was just wandering around visiting. I didn't get a picture of Spider, but want to report that he was a very good boy, quiet and calm, and he made no attempt to bite me. Also I didn't get a chance to go visit or photograph Holly and Rose, but saw them in passing on the tour by golf cart. They are looking much better and happy.

Monday was Rowdy's birthday. He is now 2 years old. I've got videos to post for that, although I wasn't there for that occasion.

Right now Ann is out somewhere picking up two burros who will be coming to MOP today. Both are pregnant jennies and they will be put up on MareStare as soon as they finish digging the trenches to lay the cable for the cam hookups. The plan is to have cams for the foaling stall or stalls and one on the round pen so we can observe horses there for turn out or being worked. We can't wait for that.

Here is a picture of this month's small Senior Saturday "group." The horse is Westly, a gorgeous chestnut OTTB recently retired from his second career as a lesson horse for kids at a riding school. We got to groom him and his best buddy Vinnie, who has lived at MOP for nearly a year. They were close friends back when both were at the riding school.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture by Ann Kline from MOP facebook page.

Okay, so that's got the updates. I'll post links to videos below. They are mostly links through the MOP public facebook page so they should be visible to anyone