U.S. and World Politics

I'm starting this so others won't be bored by political discussions on the Breaking News thread. Hopefully the title is okay. Thanks

Comments

• Works for me. Since the weekend is over... as soon as I see tonight's TWD... I'll be back (to quote another unlikely politician) as time permits.
  • Thanks for starting this thread, Louise.

Bernie Sanders is not lying because he has a clear record of his actions going back a long way. He is not accepting money from SuperPacs or the fossil fuel industry. He has now got 5 million individual donors who have donated an average of $27 each. That impresses me. He is not part of the establishment. But I will vote for Hillary if she is the nominee. I watch the debates and she reassures me somewhat and I hope she is sincere if she gets elected. However, I think she will be treated in the same obstructionist way that Obama has been unless the Senate and hopefully even the House switch leadership. The country needs to address the income inequality issue and to start living up to Christian ideals if it's going to be touted as a Christian country by the right wingers. We've got to stop treating tolerance, kindness toward those less fortunate, responsibility for educating our children, and respecting our seniors as reprehensible qualities. This is 2016. Trump is the most unworthy person I've seen wanting to be the leader of a major country since Khrushchev was the leader of a major country, shouting, having temper tantrums, and pounding his shoe on the table. And that was more than 50 years ago. Incredible. If he were elected we would be the laughing stock of the whole world. Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Madison and the other Founding Fathers must be whirling in their graves.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Let us hope Bernie doesn't push Hillary too far to the left where she was with her Healthcare plans when she was the leading lady. Her husband was able to reach across the isle, and she did as a senator. The Trump repubs want to burn up the Republican party. Will there be any cooperation left on either side after this election?
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited March 2016
    Trump has written that he might not support NATo if there are problems. We have illegal immigration in Europe, where many Europeans nations are getting xenophobic, take the rise of Marie LA Penne in France. Think about the global picture we have known for the past 75 plus years. Global institutions may be at risk with unprecedented isolationist policies taken on by world powers. Refugees, where do they go? Global cooperation? Military cooperation by Western powers? Big questions. I am trained as an international economic policy person, and these worldwide trends make me worried. No NAFTA? No trade agreement with South American states; no European Union; how about south Eastern Asian States; Japan; Phillipines, Malaysia, et. Al? The richest countries, the OECD, etc. Help poorest countries rise with the tide to allow them access to Western markets. We get cheaper goods in U.S., and they need less foreign investment. The trade deals are great for U.S. consumers. We have not done enough for displaced workers. It does not mean in the big picture that the U.S.GDP has suffered; it has actually gained. I think the U.S. is being put through a panic attack about the status quo by politicians. This could result in many, many bad things for the world order. Do you want Trump at America's steering wheel? He has no international or diplomatic credentials. IMO. K
  • KMMKMM Member
    Of course, all of these trade deals have unintended consequences where U.S. corporations take advantage of no labor protection in countries which we make the trade deals with, never mind the labor requirements under NAFTA or other trade deals. Things like child labor, bad working conditions, etc. If the U.S. makes these deals, they must monitor. And we have a moral responsibility to retrain our workers. If we don't want to lose those manufacturing jobs, maybe there is a tough analysis there. Is the cheaper labor actually legimate or exploited? To you put on hold U.S.Companies that want to move South, and make them prove economics and safety and pay conditions where U.S. has no regulations?
  • Lack of cooperation among nations would be disastrous with the ongoing climate change soon to develop into a population crisis of monumental proportions. It's not simply a matter of the West Coast and Florida, and Manhattan getting flooded out, which many in the interior seem to think would be no great loss. It's a matter of millions of people living in the lowlands of India and China being displaced by sea and river waters, and the disappearance of Belgium and The Netherlands, pretty completely. Cooperation is essential in order to deal with the consequences of all the head-in-sand fossil fuel corps. who denied climate change and pooh-poohed science, calling scientific fact a hoax. Without cooperation, and with people like Trump ascending to power, the world would soon regress back to the dark ages. Bleah.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Va_in_Ca we have to get the international power stuff straight before even speaking to climate change. The military and economic questions have to be settled first. E.g. where do all of refugees go. Just more forefront on the disaster mode. K
  • KMMKMM Member
    Polical and humanitarian disasters. Yes, climate change is very real!
  • Fossil fuels and global warming. Babies and population explosions. Dark ages and boats. Lots and lots of boats.
    It would be kinda cold for most during the winter without heat. Too dark to read. Almost impossible to feed anybody. And just think of all the cyber activity we would miss.
    Of course, we could all go back to living in caves. Be a hunter, gatherer community for awhile and give the rest of the world a chance to catch up. After all, it wouldnt be exactly fair with all we have, and all we`ve been given, to deny others access or equal opportunity.
    Or we could just force them to accept our ideas about over consuming a diminishing pool of resources.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks for your input tincup. Richest countries from way back to industrial revolution are biggest contributors to climate change, uninhibited; now those second and third tier countries want to catch up with, if they have it, cheap access to fossil fuels.
  • Well, if the richest people in the richest countries are the ones to survive, they'll all be Republicans, or other countries' equivalents of that mindset, so they won't help the poor countries. Help the "lazy"? No Way!

One of the most fascinating books on this very topic is Jared Diamond's Collapse, which is about the fall of various civilizations. The ones I best remember are Easter Island and Iceland. The latter was fascinating because the European settlers refused to adapt and use native ways of getting food when their European crops failed. The rich exploited the poor, but in the end, they died, too, of starvation. They just postponed the inevitable. That's the one that impressed me the most.

Climate change is happening faster than expected. It isn't going to wait while we "get the international power stuff straight ." So chaos will reign. Walls will be built to keep refugees out. Only us old folks know how to live without all the modern amenities. The younger generation will have a harder time adapting. We live in very interesting times.
  • VA_IN_CA, my friend sent me the exact quote: People Magazine 1998

" If I were to run, I'd run as a Republican. They're the dumbest group of voters in the country. They love anything on Fox News. I could lie and they'd still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific. ". Donald Trump

She is a Republican and Not voting for him. I'm a Democrat and definitely Not voting for him.
  • Guess Trump is proving just how gullible "the dumbest group of voters" can be.
  • Well, Tuesday the 15th is primary day here in Florida. Beware the Ides of March. I wish I had more than 1 vote... :-)
  • Well, Tuesday the 15th is primary day here in Florida. Beware the Ides of March. I wish I had more than 1 vote... :-)
    Whats the mood toward Trump? Is he still picking up votes?
  • The Veterans Scandal on Bernie Sanders’s Watch

While he was on the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, Sanders ‘believed in government, and he believed in it to a fault,’ a congressional source said—and it prevented him from fixing the VA.

Bernie Sanders’s tenure as chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee was characterized by glaring neglect of his oversight responsibilities, allowing the 2014 VA scandal to unfold under his watch, veterans’ rights advocates argue.

Sanders has touted his work on veterans’ issues, most recently citing his involvement in “the most comprehensive VA health care bill in this country,” in a debate Thursday.

Left unsaid however, is that he was the chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, responsible for overseeing the Department of Veterans Affairs, as the scandal erupted.

Dozens of veterans died while waiting for medical care at Phoenix Veterans Health Administration facilities, a scandal CNN broke in the spring of 2014. The imbroglio spread with reports of secret waiting lists at other VA hospitals, possibly leading to dozens more preventable deaths.

Sanders held one-sixth of the hearings on oversight that his House of Representatives counterpart held. Republicans griped that they had made multiple requests for more oversight hearings, but received no response. A news host even challenged Sanders as the scandal erupted, saying he sounded more like a lawyer for the VA than the man responsible for overseeing it.

more
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/05/the-veterans-scandal-on-bernie-sanders-s-watch.html
  • And the beat goes on.
  • Yep. He reacted slowly. Something he acknowledges. It is also something even his stauchest critics attribute to his faith in the system. I can leave with someone who makes mistakes because of their loyalty and desire to see the best in all situations. Especially if they acknowledge mistakes.

“His ideological perspective blurred his ability to recognize the operational reality of what was happening at the V.A.,” said Paul Rieckhoff, the founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. “The reality was that he was one of the last people to publicly recognize the gravity of the situation.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/us/politics/faith-in-agency-clouded-bernie-sanderss-va-response.html?_r=0

"Well, a fair question. And I think you know the answer is that we have worked on many, many issues," Sanders said. "And your point is fair, that we should've acted sooner. We should've known what was going on in Phoenix, those long waiting lines and the lies that some administrators were telling us."
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/04/politics/bernie-sanders-veterans-affairs-delays/
  • As a lifelong Democrat... who has, from time to time, voted for Republican and independent candidates... I'm exploring all avenues. On another website, a friend of mine, of like mind, was asked
    Why don't you like Hillary?

Even I, who was aware she was not a Hil supporter, was somewhat... impressed... by the thorough reasons given:

Some overlap with Bill, but she knew about everything. I know that none of these things will matter to Hillary lovers, and this list will be dismissed...I just don't know why.... and I won't engage further in defending how I feel about them both.

It's also my personal opinion that she was indirectly involved in Vince Foster's death, but I realize my belief is mostly because I hate her so much for all the other shit...

I also think she doesn't like "the American people" that she says she "serves". It's all personal opinion...

Benghazi: Four Americans killed, an entire system of weak diplomatic security uncloaked, and the credibility of a president and his secretary of state damaged.

Asia fundraising scandal: More than four dozen convicted in a scandal that made the Lincoln bedroom, White House donor coffees and Buddhist monks infamous.

Hillary’s private emails: Hundreds of national secrets already leaked through private email and the specter of a criminal probe looming large.

Whitewater: A large S&L failed and several people went to prison.

Travelgate: The firing of the career travel office was the very first crony capitalism scandal of the Clinton era.

Humagate: An aide’s sweetheart job arrangement.

Pardongate: The first time donations were ever connected as possible motives for presidential pardons.

Foundation favors: Revealing evidence that the Clinton Foundation was a pay-to-play back door to the State Department, and an open checkbook for foreigners to curry favor.

Mysterious files: The disappearance and re-discovery of Hillary’s Rose Law Firm records.

Filegate: The Clinton use of FBI files to dig for dirt on their enemies.

Hubble trouble: The resignation and imprisonment of Hillary law partner Web Hubbell.

The Waco tragedy: One of the most lethal exercises of police power in American history.

The Clinton’s Swedish slush fund: $26 million collected overseas with little accountability and lots of questions about whether contributors got a pass on Iran sanctions.

Troopergate: From the good old days, did Arkansas state troopers facilitate Bill Clinton’s philandering?

Gennifer Flowers: The tale that catapulted a supermarket tabloid into the big time.

Bill’s Golden Tongue: His and her speech fees shocked the American public.

Boeing Bucks: Boeing contributed big-time to Bill; Hillary helped the company obtain a profitable Russian contract.

Larry Lawrence: How did a fat cat donor get buried in Arlington National Cemetery without war experience?

The cattle futures: Hillary as commodity trader extraordinaire.

Chinagate: Nuclear secrets go to China on her husband’s watch.

Yep, the beat does go on.
  • Mixing ideology and reality has never been a strong suit for the left. Lots of good ideas , but always left hungry, trying to eat burnt biscuits.
  • Yes, I am also exploring all options. Not thrilled with Clinton but would take Clinton or Sanders over ANY of the current Republican candidates. Sanders is not perfect. I am concerned that his inflexible adherence to his social platform (something I admire personally) may not allow him to work effectively as Commander in Chief. It is going to be a very interesting election year!
  • Amen! I'll vote for either nominee against the Republican candidates. I also think America is already great. I love President Obama who I voted for twice and the past seven years have not tasted in the least like burnt toast.
  • Personally...
    I too, find this years election process interesting. For sometime I`ve felt the fault in our process, that would produce the kind of voter angst that many in the middle are feeling right now. If that is only my angst, all the better for our country. But if it is spread through out as I suspect, then woe is us for a short period of time. Hil seems to be the best bet to get us to the promised land and am hoping she can bridge the gap that has been expanding and needs a quiet moment of introspection.
    My beloved right has been speaking to a middle american that has left and migrated to a different place. New ideas, new challenges, new friends. They dont speak to many of us anymore. its sad.
  • And the most partisan senator of 2015 is … Bernie Sanders!

Now, we have data to back up one of those claims. According to a nonpartisan ranking out Monday from the the Lugar Center and Georgetown University’s McCourt School of Public Policy, Sanders was ranked the least-bipartisan senator in 2015, a notable feat in a year the Lugar Center says is among one of Congress's least-bipartisan in decades. Sanders actually beat out his fellow presidential candidate, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), who came in 97th out of 98 senators. (The Senate's Republican and Democratic leaders, whose jobs dictate they are necessarily partisan, weren't included.)

The index measured how many times a senator sponsored or co-sponsored a bill with the other side. The rankings mean Sanders almost exclusively signs onto bills with Democrats, and Cruz with Republicans. (Sanders is technically an independent, but for this purpose, he was categorized as a Democrat, the party with which he caucuses.) The other senator still in the race for president, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), ranked 28th most bipartisan.

more
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/07/and-the-most-partisan-senator-of-2015-is-bernie-sanders/
  • T
    I do not think Hillary is going to bridge any gaps. She is too rigid in her ideas and the opposition is too dead set against her.

And, unfortunately, as the above article points out, Sanders is noted for NOT working with other people's ideas.

When it was just me... and a few people I knew with whom I discussed my dissatisfaction with the state our country is in... I didn't think it was a nationwide dissatisfaction and DISGUST. I think middle America has had enough political "business... or LACK of business... as usual." It's a scary situation and not just for this election.

Our infrastructure... everything from highways to education to health care to you name it... is falling apart and there is no money to fix it and no plans to find the money. At the same time, we are putting billions into fighting other countries' wars, overthrowing governments we don't like, supporting Third World economies that are backing or at least harboring Islamic terrorists groups set on destroying the world as we know it.

AND every candidate but one is from the same old pattycake everyone's a winner just be polite mindset that got us in this fix in the first place.