U.S. and World Politics

Comments

• tincuptincup Member
    racingfan said:

Tincup, in answer to your question I have worked in many places in Utah including southern part and during my time there read up on much of the history of these places because it fascinated me. You talk about history but thats what it is and its in the past and should remain there. I mentioned Dunblane, the massacre of sixteen school kids and a teacher led to the banning of handguns in the UK ( automatic rifles have never been legal here, the biggest civilian gun permissible are shotguns or hunting rifles) . Since then we have never had a school massacre. Since Utøya, Norway has banned all automatic weapons and tightened up all gun laws. We must look forward and accept that times have changed in fact wasnt that why law was brought to the west

Whodler, yes you are right that recent generations melt at the least adversity but that not just the US its everywhere.

Lemme add since am on a particular role.
    Racingfan, you haven't a clue.
    Because you're slaughter has dates that predate our particular mayhem, and with an understanding I have found, you know that a personal insult cannot be let to lie. It's a wonderful journey to understand the British assault on the Catholic religion and the faithful... after all, isn't it you that lop heads.
    So we should be so easy, sanguine... let the chips fall where the will
    The past isn't as far as you think
    .and the people that tore apart my Church, they aren't outa reach, the people that destroyed a thousand years of beautiful history... We should hear you?
    You chopped off your own soviegns head...
    For goodness sake.
    The day is coming.
  • Relax, T, we'll catch up.

When my kids were fearful at night... coming in late to a dark house or going to bed in a room by themselves, we solved the problem by putting up signs saying
    NO monsters allowed.
    No ghosts, witches or bad men allowed.
    No snakes. No spiders.
    No aliens.

It always worked. for each and every one of them.
    AND it kept all that stuff out.
  • tincuptincup Member
    whoodler said:

Relax, T, we'll catch up.

When my kids were fearful at night... coming in late to a dark house or going to bed in a room by themselves, we solved the problem by putting up signs saying
    NO monsters allowed.
    No ghosts, witches or bad men allowed.
    No snakes. No spiders.
    No aliens.

It always worked. for each and every one of them.
    AND it kept all that stuff out.

Shouldn't I love you
    I think I shall
    You were brutally honest you're first time up
    It made you immortal
    I haven't any real fear myself

but I do for another

Primary care is a particular concern

We've had a split on ideology

thou I've come to suspect money

My worries and concerns are genuine

I just got to check my nuts
  • The nuts always seem to be checking ME out.

Good days and bad are a part of life. After all this time, I'm of the opinion they are 50/50 although the bad ones always seemed to take longer to get through. I have found that toward the end, the good ones are the ones you remember the most and the clearest. Because my and my two younger sisters' birthdays occur within a 9 day period, we have just spent a lot of time on the phone, most of it reminiscing about our childhood... like elementary school age years. Do you remember... followed by someone else saying I thought I dreamed that and the third person saying no-one would let their kids do that today. College years, first marriages, careers, even grandkids not so ripe for discussion now. All that adult stuff we all go through just not as interesting as the freedom we had to wander and touch and learn by original experience, free of supervision and correction. Developing your own true ideas... making your parents wonder how 3 people living at the same time in the same family home could be so different. Except for the humor. We crack each other up. And it tickles me to see my 6 YO grandson with the same cutting observations and deadpan delivery.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Beautiful stuff
    But
    I won't anybody not know
    I am a patoto eating love of starving potato eating son's of a bitches that know and digest every single sin the British carry.
  • tincuptincup Member
    And I don't need a sermon from Norway.
    By a brit
    About gun laws.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Tincup, you characterize Brits like racingfan, as though all people today in Britain are responsible for GB's treatment of the Irish troubles. You are talking about a nation's collective guilt and memory and whether or not there is any collective historic atonement by the agressor or not. Japan's occupation of Korea and the women in Korea made comfort companions of the Japanese occupation (still at the surface of both nations' consciousnesses; of course our, Canada's, and Australia's treatment of native peoples still trying to find some resolution; and Jews and Germany still not quite finished with deniers of the Holocaust in EU, U.S, etc; Russian denial of the millions killed in Stalin's genocide; U.S. still trying to come to terms with our enslavement past; and there are so many more unresolved troubles in national consciousnesses all over the world...You are right tincup; national and collective memories are so often hard to resolve and children often get passed down their parents, grandparents, and earlier antecedents memories and perceptions of the world. It is a wonder if we make any progress at all in our social contracts and make any peace with the past. I'd like to believe in a tablu Rossi (sp.) for each upcoming generation, but it so often seems like1 step forward, 2 steps back. What a mercurial and repeating the same mistakes the human condition produces.
  • I get it. It bugs me that everyone NOT from the USA seems to feel free to express an opinion about every part of the American way of life as if, because their countries were "settled" earlier than ours, they have all the answers. They didn't have them when our ancestors left (and current generations are still leaving) their parts of the world and with all their experience, their homelands have most of the same problems we have. If any of US were to insert our 2 cents about them we'd be labelled... at best... uninformed about the nuances of their societies. They are like little old ladies standing on their porches wondering if they should call the police about the kids running around loose in the neighborhood.

Here's the thing...
    they all want to tell us what to do.
    And when THEY do what they do, they expect us to bail them out.
    And they're all uneasy because for the first time since WW1 they're not sure we'd come to the rescue.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    <3

<blockquote class="UserQuote">
    whoodler said:

The nuts always seem to be checking ME out.

Good days and bad are a part of life. After all this time, I'm of the opinion they are 50/50 although the bad ones always seemed to take longer to get through. I have found that toward the end, the good ones are the ones you remember the most and the clearest. Because my and my two younger sisters' birthdays occur within a 9 day period, we have just spent a lot of time on the phone, most of it reminiscing about our childhood... like elementary school age years. Do you remember... followed by someone else saying I thought I dreamed that and the third person saying no-one would let their kids do that today. College years, first marriages, careers, even grandkids not so ripe for discussion now. All that adult stuff we all go through just not as interesting as the freedom we had to wander and touch and learn by original experience, free of supervision and correction. Developing your own true ideas... making your parents wonder how 3 people living at the same time in the same family home could be so different. Except for the humor. We crack each other up. And it tickles me to see my 6 YO grandson with the same cutting observations and deadpan delivery.

• Tincup, I had no clue what you were talking about, but KMM , suggests its about Northern Ireland, but how we got there from a discussion on automatic rifles is anyones guess. Sorry you had a bad day but please dont take out on me for simply offering an opinion ( not a sermon) and for the record I am catholic with deep roots in ireland, so your remarks were pretty hurtful

Whoodler you yourself have expressed many strong views about Europe in the pages of this forum whose title is US and world politics, but when someone from Europe dares to express an opinion in return, its treated as an unwarranted attack on the US and how dare they comment as we are all losers in your eyes

I had hoped that we could avoid such discourse but unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. So this stupid mick will refrain from discussing anything in the future that could possibly upset you both and will not trouble you with any european viewpoint.
  • You are absolutely right. I have expressed my views, which are strong, consistent and unregretted, about Europe and the rest of the world... but on issues that ARE political in the US. Namely, it is time for us to stop being the world's policeman and financier.
  • tincuptincup Member
    racingfan said:

Tincup, I had no clue what you were talking about, but KMM , suggests its about Northern Ireland, but how we got there from a discussion on automatic rifles is anyones guess. Sorry you had a bad day but please dont take out on me for simply offering an opinion ( not a sermon) and for the record I am catholic with deep roots in ireland, so your remarks were pretty hurtful

Whoodler you yourself have expressed many strong views about Europe in the pages of this forum whose title is US and world politics, but when someone from Europe dares to express an opinion in return, its treated as an unwarranted attack on the US and how dare they comment as we are all losers in your eyes

I had hoped that we could avoid such discourse but unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. So this stupid mick will refrain from discussing anything in the future that could possibly upset you both and will not trouble you with any european viewpoint.

Ya know, I didn't know ya.
    I get a little carried away sometimes. Mostly my posts should carry a particular general idea, not a personal one. I know I fail in that too often.
    I've an odd hero. I like lots of people, sometimes maybe the wrong ones.
    But I've a peculiar hero in Bobby Sands.
    Sorry, I was just venting and I understand.
    I look often for your posts.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Dark houses
    Everyday the house is dark. Stairs to the porch always seemed long, steep, far.
    The people coming out where always dark, heads turned to avoid eyes, down the dark steps to the street.
    Into the house was always the same, a smell you recognized immediately, fear, violence, things that hide in corners
    Everyday.
    You go everyday because your sister won't leave this, you tell her the truth of haughty place, she tells me...are you here or not, walk on your own,..I was with her everyday.
    But, I was traumatized by the experience.
    The smells, I can still smell
    The fear, I can still feal
    The knowing still resonates inside by head..
    Doc. Laura took a lot flake
    But she told a lot of truth.
    Every day.
    Smelly, Scarry,...
    She would have her father's daughter.
    That was pure fear
    Funny how shit works.
    Fredo
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 14
    Tincup, are you paralleling

Maya Angelou?
  • tincuptincup Member
    KMM said:

Tincup, are you paralleling

Maya Angelou?

Maybe
    She's been on my mind some lately, there's a fine triangulation of feelings perception and reality.
    How fun is anger, an answer to helplessness
    How fun is depression, a result of acceptance
    How fun is drugs, an answer to ones self important rise.
    But its all good, lets ban guns. Nothing to see here. Everyone move along.
    A beautiful triangulation
    ... and a perfect idea of the ebb by popular Christian influencers. The rejection of faith because of the shallow understanding could not answer any of the most ugly questions.
    Shallows...an ebb and flow... between great forces...in the shallows are food, respite, a laziness of mind...bars, restaurants, entertainment. Big business
    In the shallows are Google, Apple, Amazon
    In the shallows there is peace.
    Between great forces
    The sea is unrelenting, the Land takes everything it can swallow.
    In the shallows is peace. Food. A chance to think.
    The sea makes hard people
    The land makes hard people
    Mayo? Certainly an idea of her RISE
    Me? I get it.
    Yet not a game changer.

• tincuptincup Member
    Goodness, I hate the I-40. Loneliness in a crowd is heartbreaking. East of Flagstaff nothing but ruins, west of Flagstaff nothing but memories, I miss the stonecrusher.
    I've hated everything Joe cocker for years... tiresome after a while, and after awhile... silence... Woodstock....
    ...why not?... it's been a long time.
    Richie Havens was pretty cool
    Soul sacrifice was outstanding
    Yet the performance of Joe cocker was mind blowing... freak show shit
    Goodness, I hate the I-40.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Trump keeps gaining Black votes.
    What the hells going on around here?
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited August 20
    Deplorable.

And then there is today's news of... FINALLY... some proactive gun control.
    Four, count them... 4... arrests before mass shooters left their houses with guns in hand. Four different states... CT, FL, OH. NV... police forces fed up and ready to stop it BEFORE it starts. It's about damned time.
  • tincuptincup Member
    I agree with a certain amount of gun control, and I agree with a stronger control of nutty people. For instance
    A restraining order requires a person to give up fire arms. Law, yet how often do cops follow through the entire process to collect those firearms.? And if a judge can make that determination, certainly they can make the same determination concerning a threat to community.
    Let's go further and understand domestic violence. The idea of domestic violence leads one to understand the zero tolerance policy that needed to be implemented to get to the root of terribly disturbing behavior that includes many dispicable acts.
    Gun violence isn't real different. Seems the same components that lead to abusive behavior are present.
    Its hard to believe there isn't a central background check point that could be cleared to instantly disqualify people on the other side of a particular line. One of the most tiresome responses to gun control is the idea of law abiding citizens having lost a right.
    No
    This isn't about law abiding citizens, not about the people that do things right. Tiresome
    Take away the rights of the assholes that think a gun is an answer to an argument.
    Like assault is an answer, or any other form of abuse.
  • Three more police forces...
    Florida (again)
    Indiana
    Washington...
    arrested people based on their social media posts.
    The FL wanna-be-shooter is a 15 year old whose mom says, on camera, "He's a LITTLE boy. It was a joke. He was playing a video game."

Maybe if this goes on... the arresting bit... a while longer,
    'see something, say something' will lead to 'do something.'
  • Another day, another prevention.
    This time CA gets the arrest before the fact.
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited August 23
    How 'bout this...

Attention NRA members and those AGAINST more infringement of our 2nd Amendment rights:
    if you want to put a firm stop to even gun control TALK, much less any action, for the next 6 years, encourage our Prez to come up with a plan. Or several plans. Dem-powers and "main"street media are so anti ANYTHING Trump they'll fall all over themselves making fun and generally opposing to the death anything and everything he proposes.
  • In the "sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander" department...
    from my favorite anti-Trump forum
    proof the left has no clue.
    (And by the way, I live in OR and this is not what's going on.)**

Republicans want to recall Oregon’s bisexual governor because they don’t like her
    Note the reference in the headline (but not the article) to the gov's sexuality
    https://www.metroweekly.com/2019/08/republicans-want-to-recall-oregons-bisexual-governor-because-they-dont-like-her/

** https://ballotpedia.org/Kate_Brown_recall,_Governor_of_Oregon_(2019)
    The first recall petition, which is supported by the Oregon Republican Party, criticizes Brown because she supported legislation during the 2019 legislative session related to a cap-and-trade program and a bill that grants driver’s licenses to immigrants living in the country illegally.
    The second recall petition, which is headed by Oregon First! PAC and the Flush Down Kate Brown group, criticizes Brown over raising taxes, the state's Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) program, Oregon's sanctuary state status, and for granting driver’s licenses to immigrants living in the country illegally.

• The pot and the kettle....

From MFAT forum:
    God help the country if he loses in 2020. I mean, I don't trust all those people who drank the Fake President's Kool-Aid to accept the outcome.

I only hope we do as well as the opposition are still doing after 3 years.
  • whoodler said:

The pot and the kettle....

From MFAT forum:
    God help the country if he loses in 2020. I mean, I don't trust all those people who drank the Fake President's Kool-Aid to accept the outcome.

I only hope we do as well as the opposition are still doing after 3 years.

This took days.
    I'm still not sure I get it, though its beginning to penetrate my brain.
    Looking into a mirror everything is backwards
    When the west becomes the east, the north becomes the south.... and without a center... Chaos
    As theory, determination becomes unpredictable. This means one can predict anything one wants without be held accountable.
    Trump loses.... people die.... chaos chooses death for some people... people died because of Trump.
    Some think speech is mathematical, thinking is numbers, patterns...
    Certainly it would be child's first paint by numbers to predict violence in the face of a trump loss.
    What would be awesome would be a grand piece of art that showed how a peaceful transition of power looked and what colors the artist used.
    ....but that won't happen, people are still stuck on a soup ca
    .. and straws
    ....and breath