U.S. and World Politics

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    Trump may chose to incite to turn out his voters. Scary.
  • The Scariest Thing About Trump? He's Winning Fair and Square.
    He has forced the Republican party to reckon with many decades of poor choices.

By Charles P. Pierce Mar 16, 2016

[snip]

Let us be honest: He, Trump is winning fair and square.

Undoubtedly, he's been aided by a feckless (and largely imaginary) Republican establishment that never saw him coming and had no idea what to do with him once he showed up. He is playing by their rules. There is no indication that he's playing monkey mischief at the polls. More people are voting for him than are voting for any other Republican. Period. There is going to be no Stop Trump movement organized over coffee and scones in D.C. at the Willard Hotel. Somebody's going to have to beat him out in the country, and they're running out of time to do that.

It's time to stop treating him like a phenomenon. He is a creature of the forces that created the modern Republican establishment, which arranged the party's centers of power in such a fashion that, sooner or later, a demagogue like He, Trump was going to emerge to hijack the party. Every time George H.W. Bush listened to Lee Atwater, and every time his son listened to Karl Rove, they helped hasten the day when He, Trump would force the party to reckon with the choices it had made. Every time they finagled the vote, in Florida in 2000 or in Ohio four years later, they hastened the day when there would be no coherent institutional moral force to bring to bear against a candidate whose entire platform is that He is Trump, you're not, and neither are these other losers, and also winning! Every time they ginned up fear and hatred for the purposes of winning elections, and then turned it off once the voting was over, they hastened the day when the relief valves would break down entirely and the people would find someone who promised to carry their fear and their hatred into office with him and convert them into public policy. It's a little late now for regrets, I'm thinking.

more
    http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a43055/trump-hillary-general-election/
  • tincuptincup Member
    edited March 2016
    Like the writer above, I`ve a long way to go to get to coherency. A large coffee and an afternoon nap isnt enough to overcome the weariness set deep in my bones from having covered more miles then the law allows. Gotta pay the bills and besides, its a lot of fun.
    There`s only so much hay one person can make, and the above has given the farm betting the whole will give a picnic.
    Well, go ahead and pack your basket and dress the kids in outdoor clothes, just make sure you bring lots of ant poison.
    If I ever get back to that place called normal, I`ll write back a rebuttal to the junk written above, meant only to remind us why a punch in the face hurts.
  • Can't agree that he's been winning fair and square when he lies so constantly. But the Republican Party has certainly brought it on themselves. They haven't learned yet, either. Their moral principles have all flown away. They can't complain about Trump when they themselves are still behaving immorally and unconstitutionally. The whole damned lot of them, even members of the government--like the moronic senators who can't see their responsibility for unleashing Trump on us---when they can't even have hearings and a vote on the Supreme Court nomineee as they are required to do by the Constitution. The whole world is watching in horror as Trump keeps collecting the votes of all the scared and dumbed-down voters who are falling for his tried and true fascist tricks. Very scary. Hopefully there are still enough sane people to see what's happening and vote against him. Cruz won in Wyoming today. But they say he's just as bad, and some say he's worse than Trump. He certainly is a worse liar. Amazing.
  • I saw Jimmy Carter said if he had to choose between Trump and Cruz, he would vote for Trump because Trump is more malleable.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/jimmy-carter-donald-trump-ted-cruz-218707
  • Holy Cow. I hope people are paying attention.

Here's an excellent video clip a friend posted on her page. It follows along with what I was saying earlier. https://www.facebook.com/katiecouric/videos/965118883583677/
  • Here's another article even more closely tied to what I was saying about the breakdown of the Republican Party, etc.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/how-trump-re-branded-the-gop-213745
  • And that...is that.
    The hills are still hills , the mountains still mountains.
    You can walk as far from here to there, and still find a long walk ahead. Tired? You got no time for tired! you still have work to do.
    You all find Trump a scary prop, but do you see the real scary. That so many of us still carry the scars of the many battles fought to get past the crap we are now forced to face one more time.
    Our work is not done.
    Freaks me out
  • KMMKMM Member
    Me too , tincup. I thought our country had gotten beyond racial fear of blacks and immigrants, and that the country had moved on after electing a black president. We are further behind than we we were in the 1970s. I am kind of scared. There is a big divide in this country, that is coming to an earthquake. Trumps's success may be scratching the surface of a lot of hidden discontent. There are so many who have problems that have not been addressed, obviously, or he would not bring out the support that he is generating. I am from Mid Atlantic fairly well off state of MD and I am not cognizant of all of these people he scores with. We need a more big picture of our country and its citizens...
  • It seems the racial problems never went away, but were hidden. It's shocking to see what is coming out now. I thought we were beyond all this hate, but it doesn't seem so at all.
  • If any of you think it is a "local" problem, you couldn't be more wrong.

Anti-immigrant party surges in German state elections
    Joanna Estrada - fayetteadvocate.com
    14:18 | Monday, Mar 14, 2016

Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives lost out in two out of three regional state elections on Sunday as Germans gave a thumbs-down to her accommodating refugee policy with a big vote for the anti-immigration Alternative for Germany (AfD).

Exit polls on Sunday showed that the AfD won 21.5 percent of the vote in the former East German state of Saxony Anhalt, according to the German news agency dpa.

The exit poll also showed Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union finishing second to the left-leaning Greens in Baden-Wuerttemberg, and to the Social Democrats in Rhineland-Palatinate.

In all three states, the results were set to leave the outgoing coalition governments without a majority - forcing regional leaders into what could be time-consuming negotiations with new, unusual partners.

Founded in 2013 as an anti-euro party, AfD has since morphed into one that sparked a storm in January after suggesting police may have to shoot at migrants at the borders.

(snip)

The AfD's rise, which has coincided with strong gains by other European anti-immigrant parties including the National Front in France, punctures the centrist consensus around which the mainstream parties have formed alliances in Germany, and may embolden more European leaders to challenge Merkel on the migrant issue. "But that doesn't mean we are hostile to foreigners", said AfD candidate Sylvia Gross.

more
    http://fayetteadvocate.com/2016/03/anti-immigrant-party-surges-in-german-state-elections/

• VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited March 2016
    Immigration is a relatively recent arrival in Europe. Traditionally they've been leaning more to the emigration side of the issue. Right up to the recent past, they exported excess people which kept the job markets in Europe more stable. I can understand their unhappiness with the less acceptable consequences of immigration (the initial flooding of job markets with workers willing to accept lower wages, and the cultural clashes as the new arrivals try to fit into their new surroundings but hating to lose their original cultural identities).

But immigration has always been a factor in our traditions. In the long run, immigration has been beneficial in bringing in new ideas to the US and generally the immigrants are good people who quickly become Americanized. Generally this occurs within one generation. Even the anti-immigrant problems we are currently having are not new here. Now it's the Central and South Americans, along with Mexicans who are North Americans, who are the ones angering the Americans already here (even those whose parents were immigrants). Before them it was the Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, and Irish.

It's an issue the world will have to resolve pretty quickly because with climate change and the permanent flooding of coastlines and low river valleys and basins, there will be a lot of people moving. There are no longer any uninhabited places for these people to go. We will all have to "move over" to let them in. If we don't, then there will be walls and defensive war and invasive war and a return to chaos. Only tolerance and a willingness to share will avoid this. Very sad that not enough people, especially among the leaders, can see this.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited March 2016
    A recent news report mentioned that there is a tremendous influx of immigrants taking citizenship classes as they want to be eligible to vote in the next election...mostly Latinos. A normal class in prior sessions would be around 70 per class...it has now more than doubled recently and increasing.
    Hmmm...Wonder who they plan to vote for...
  • Today 11:26 am
    Me Gusta Trump: Portrait of a Hispanic Trump Voter
    By León Krauze

[snip]

After the Marines, Castillo moved back to California and went to work for U.P.S. He’s now an inspector for an aerospace company. He was once a Democrat but is now a conservative and a Republican. The transition happened in the Marines. “The way they scream at you, it hardens you,” he says. “It makes you understand the importance of respecting the law.” He also thinks travel helped him get rid of a “naïve” point of view that he associates with liberal politics. He believes in the importance of the Second Amendment. At thirty-eight years old, Castillo speaks softly, wears wide-rimmed glasses, and has the build you’d expect from someone who once carried hundred-pound shells for a living but now sits inside a cubicle. When we last met, in Eagle Rock, in northeast Los Angeles, he seemed concerned about crime in the area. “If you were allowed to carry a concealed weapon here, you could protect yourself,” he says. His Twitter bio reads “devout Catholic” and “lifelong pro wrestling fan.” He’s also a fan of Spanish-language radio, and he retweets Pope Francis and the W.W.E. with equal enthusiasm. And he is also a passionate supporter of Donald Trump.

Fourteen per cent of Hispanic voters say they will “definitely support” the Republican candidate in November, and Castillo, who describes himself as an “American of Mexican descent, in that order,” is not an anomaly in his support for Trump. Although eighty per cent of Latino voters held an unfavorable opinion of Trump in a recent Washington Post/Univision poll, a fifth of Hispanic Republicans said they planned to vote for Trump during the Party’s primaries. That level of support has remained constant in states with a discernible Hispanic presence. According to entrance and exit polls, Trump got just under half of the admittedly few Hispanic Republican votes in Nevada and a quarter of them in Texas, surpassing Marco Rubio in both instances. Rubio won Florida’s Latino vote (seventeen per cent of all Republican voters) by a wide margin, but Trump’s backing among Hispanics remained at twenty-six per cent.

Given the fact that Trump has built his campaign around the recurrent disparagement of Mexicans and immigrants, his support among Hispanic Republicans has baffled well-known Latino voices in the United States and Mexico. In an interview with Jorge Ramos, former Mexican President Vicente Fox begged Trump’s Latino supporters to “open their eyes.” “I’d like to know who those Hispanics are,” Fox said, “because they are followers of a false prophet.” Fox is far from alone. Last month, in an open letter to the Latino community, twenty-two celebrities, led by the guitarist Carlos Santana, accused Republicans of turning their backs on Hispanics. “Latinos should understand that Donald Trump embodies the true face of the entire Republican Party,” they wrote. Something similar happened at the Latin Grammys, where the bands Los Tigres del Norte and Maná, both of whom are beloved by Latinos, displayed a banner that read “Latinos unite: don’t vote for the racists!” No prominent Hispanic has endorsed Donald Trump.

John Castillo and others like him beg to differ. Over several recent conversations, Castillo explained his support for Trump in meticulous detail. At times, he sounded like the many white voters who have been inspired by the candidate. He says he finds Trump relatable. “He speaks like a regular person,” Castillo says. “If I were running for President, that’s how I would talk.” He likes that Trump is not a politician. “I’m pretty much fed up with career politicians,” he says. Castillo believes Trump will manage to extricate the United States from unfair agreements, and he likes the idea of Trump imposing tariffs on imported goods. He firmly believes this will help “bring jobs back” Stateside. He also likes the fact that a number of “world leaders” have expressed concerns over a potential Trump Presidency: “He must be doing something right if the élite doesn’t want him.”

more
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/me-gusta-trump-portrait-of-a-hispanic-trump-voter
  • Immigration is a relatively recent arrival in Europe. Traditionally they've been leaning more to the emigration side of the issue. Right up to the recent past, they exported excess people which kept the job markets in Europe more stable. I can understand their unhappiness with the less acceptable consequences of immigration (the initial flooding of job markets with workers willing to accept lower wages, and the cultural clashes as the new arrivals try to fit into their new surroundings but hating to lose their original cultural identities).

But immigration has always been a factor in our traditions. In the long run, immigration has been beneficial in bringing in new ideas to the US and generally the immigrants are good people who quickly become Americanized. Generally this occurs within one generation. Even the anti-immigrant problems we are currently having are not new here. Now it's the Central and South Americans, along with Mexicans who are North Americans, who are the ones angering the Americans already here (even those whose parents were immigrants). Before them it was the Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, and Irish.

It's an issue the world will have to resolve pretty quickly because with climate change and the permanent flooding of coastlines and low river valleys and basins, there will be a lot of people moving. There are no longer any uninhabited places for these people to go. We will all have to "move over" to let them in. If we don't, then there will be walls and defensive war and invasive war and a return to chaos. Only tolerance and a willingness to share will avoid this. Very sad that not enough people, especially among the leaders, can see this.

You must get your info from different sources than I.

• KMMKMM Member
    Europe has had so many influxes of escaping immigrants, all the French colonies et al. As an example.
  • Not sure what you mean, whoodler. Most of my info is common knowledge learned in history classes and books. and more recently from articles read in newspapers and on-line sources. Some of it comes from foreign students, friends, and relatives, and recent immigrants.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited March 2016
    OK; Trump different speeches today. U.S. should downsize from NATO. Reduce presence in Pacific; repeal Iran agreement... We would become an isolationist state and reject years and years of treaty agreements that were the result of twoWorld Wars. He is a nutball in my view, and will destroy U.S. world leadership if he becomes presesident. I need no IMO here. K
  • True that. I guess this proves he's a Republican after all. He wants to turn back the clock, which for some reason they all do. In this election they apparently want to turn the clock back two hundred years, to 1816, the good old days.
  • KMMKMM Member
    He is not a Republican in the true sense. He is a wild card with semi fascist ideas; I would vote for an old fashioned Republican before him. At least they would have the respect of historical U.S. statesmanship.: (
  • Good ones. Thanks for posting.
  • Who spent the most last month:

Democratic presidential race

•Bernie Sanders, $40.9 million
    •Hillary Clinton, $31.6 million

Republican presidential race

•Ted Cruz, $17.5 million
    •Donald Trump, $9.5 million
    •John Kasich, $3.6 million

Who ended February with the most available cash:

•Clinton: $30.8 million
    •Sanders: $17.2 million
    •Cruz: $8 million
    •Trump: $1.34 million
    •Kasich: $1.25 million

Contributing: Christopher Schnaars

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/03/21/bernie-sanders-wins-come-high-price/82089816/
  • KMMKMM Member
    Trump has deeper pockets than $1.34 million.