U.S. and World Politics

Comments

• Possibly in everybody's eagerness to thump Trump, it has been missed that he is not accepting any government moneys and is funding his own campaign... AT THIS POINT... unlike EVERYBODY else. New definition, folks, of putting your money where your mouth is.

• Yes @whoodler, we know! He has reminded us plenty.
  • Sorry, didn't know self funding was a bad thing.

AIPAC...
    Mr Trump got a cool reception last night. Which led to some reluctant clapping as he spoke, then some enthusiastic clapping. And cheers. And several standing ovations. Guess Israelis aren't as put off as they're trumped up to be by US media.
  • He is, and has always been, able to say exactly what people want to hear!

And self funding is not bad at all! Just makes the stats as posted irrelevant.
    Sorry, didn't know self funding was a bad thing.

AIPAC...
    Mr Trump got a cool reception last night. Which led to some reluctant clapping as he spoke, then some enthusiastic clapping. And cheers. And several standing ovations. Guess Israelis aren't as put off as they're trumped up to be by US media.
  • edited March 2016
    @whoodler, Never said self funding was a bad thing, I said Trump has reminded us ad nauseam about his funding, but go ahead and twist my words around. Trump supporters are good at that.
  • CBS News: Former President Jimmy Carter told the British Parliament on Wednesday that if he had to choose between Republican candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, he'd prefer to see Trump win the White House.

"I think I would choose Trump," the liberal former president said to the House of Lords, when asked about the U.S. presidential race, "which may surprise some of you, but the reason is Trump has proven already that he's completely malleable. I don't think he has any fixed opinions that he would really go to the White House and fight for."

By contrast, Mr. Carter said, "Ted Cruz is not malleable. He has far right-wing policies, in my opinion, that would be pursued aggressively if and when he would become president."
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited March 2016
    @whoodler, Never said self funding was a bad thing, I said Trump has reminded us ad nauseam about his funding, but go ahead and twist my words around. Trump supporters are good at that.
    Now THAT is funny!

Just another example of:
    I stand amazed as I see more energy and ire coming from political elites in their fight against Trump than I ever saw in the last seven years in response to a president who has used his power in Sauron-like style to dismantle and transform America from a city on a hill to a dark Orwellian dystopia. Even now, as the cultural Marxists disrupt campaign rallies, the political elites are angrier at Trump and his “Trumpkins” than terrorist Bill Ayers and MoveOn.org, led by Dr. Evil himself, George Soros, who were the ones responsible for the protests.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/03/22/stop-standing-against-trump-and-start-standing-for-america/

• So is this....Meet the man Trump will put in charge of his Supreme Court picks
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/12/senate-loses-jim-demint-and-his-crazy
  • Interesting theoretical match ups and favorable/unfavorable ratings -

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/22/politics/2016-election-poll-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/index.html
  • KMMKMM Member
    Trump just makes me say, Gee, Really...
  • Me too!
  • KMMKMM Member
    I don't find Obama changing our country into a dark Orwellian dystopia, whoodler. Are you choosing credible opinions or just those that fit your arguments to stir the pot, which is OK by the way IMO. Just know you will get push back.
  • KMMKMM Member
    My gee really is that Trump is over the top and not to be believed or trusted. He is a chameleon. There was a book in the 70s about a guy whose social interaction in his life was with a TV set.He was elected president. Wish I could remember the name of that fictional work. Maybe someone does? Short novel...
  • KMMKMM Member
    The title comes to mind , Being There, but I could totally be off base.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited March 2016
    Kosisky, Polish satirical writer. Chance, the protaganist., gives messages like Trump, although he is an innocent, which Trump is not.:) Chance is an optimist, a gardener, and speaks in innocent phrases, which are translated to his political managers, into manipulated political statements. Trump does that job on himself; what do you want to hear from me? I will give you the message you want to hear. Chance was manipulated by politicos; Trump does it for himself. Good short novel on an outsider's view in 70's about American politics, albeit a satire.:)

• This Quaint Irish Island Wants Americans to Move There ASAP

House Beautiful By Lauren Smith 23 Mar 2016

The Irish have a reputation of being welcoming and overall friendly people - and one of the country's most remote islands is only further proving that to be true. You see, the once thriving Inishturk Island has seen its population plummet in recent years to just 58 people. So to help grow their community, they're seeking out people they think might be looking for an escape: Americans who aren't happy with their country's current state of politics.

Since the island is located nine miles off of the coast, it's extremely tranquil and ideal for people looking for a quiet lifestyle. That's why community leaders believe it will appeal to certain U.S. citizens: "I've heard there are quite a few people in America looking to move to Ireland and other countries if Donald Trump becomes president. I'd like them to know that we'd love to see them consider moving over here," Mary Heanue, Inishturk's development officer, told Irish Central.

The fishing community promises to provide a warm welcome, excellent education opportunities for children (since the teacher to student ratio is close to one-on-one), and Guinness galore. Okay, we added that last part, but we're confident it's true.

http://news.yahoo.com/quaint-irish-island-wants-americans-144658493.html
  • Huh. I'd move there just because. Sounds wonderful.
  • Except it's an island. Surrounded by water. Cold water. Boats....
  • Cold wind and fog, too. I lived on an island once for a summer. It was peaceful and beautiful, but cold, even in summer. It was 9 miles off the coast of Maine and New Hampshire, one of 9 islands called the Isles of Shoals. At low tide there were 10 islands. It was a small island with no trees, lots of rocks, no vehicles or telephones either. It belonged to a religious organization which held week-long retreats there. We had daily day trippers, too, who ate lunch in the dining hall and we needed to know in advance how many places to set up for them and how many meals they would need. No telephone. So just before they left port (from Portsmouth, NH) the agent wrote the number on the special messenger's msg. paper enclosed in its msg. carrier and sent it to the island. The messenger was a homing pigeon. Honest. It was so cool. I was a waitress there. I was 18. No TV, no telephones, no cell phones either, of course, no email, no computers. Very little water either. The toilets used salt water; the kitchen used brown-colored water collected all winter in a big cistern; drinking water was brought over on the boat every noon and evening. We used basins with pitchers for bathing water (brown) and slop buckets. We emptied our own slop buckets, but the chamber maids had to do the ones for the guests. (No showers or bath tubs.) Tooth brushing water was available in the main lobby of the hotel, in small pitchers, from the storage tank the boat filled twice a day. We were all college students. Sorry, off topic again. hahaha

I looked it up on Google and found a lot of old and modern pictures. Wow. It's changed a lot in many respects. Here's a video that looks interesting, about the islands. I was on Star Island.
  • (Paul Ryan)
    "Israel, like us, is a liberal democracy in a sea of authoritarian regimes. So when America helps Israel, both countries become stronger. Both countries are protecting our way of life. (Paul Ryan)

Wait, whoa. The United States is "a liberal democracy in a sea of authoritarian regimes"? Why does Paul Ryan hate Canada so much? Or the U.K.? Or Ireland? Or the Finns, the Danes, the Swedes and the Norwegians? What is this man talking about? He's talking about delegates from Florida, is what he's talking about.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a43220/paul-ryan-aipac-speech/

• KMMKMM Member
    Whoodler, I love your critical mind all over the field.:)
  • Ryan and his cohorts are doing everything in their power to give the lie to that statement, by taking everything generous, kind, caring, and liberal out, and with their passing of Citizens United and defeating of the Voting Rights Act, destroying the democracy as well. Citizens United allows unreported and unlimited contributions to Super Pacs by foreign governments and interests. How do we know if Russia, and (horrors) Muslim countries are paying to influence our government? We don't.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Hillary is a beneficiary.
  • Fear and loathing in America;
    When driving the endless 5 through the central valley of california, between the grapevine and tracey, your mind has lots of time to exercise its will. Its five hours of almond trees and grass. If you are particularly dull, you move from smell to smell, keeping time to the flow of anger, or angst, as it rushes and ebbs with every truck that dares to show any ego. smash em lol...
    if you happened to drop down the north side of the hill after dark, you`d find a different 5. A peaceful 5. A place where you could discover the heart of Adele or the struggle of Amy. This is the place that first made Art Bell. Aliens live.
    I was stuck making a run for peace and dough after putting in a twelve and thinking I would go as far i could and lay it down when i couldnt go any more.
    By the time I got to Santa Rosa, I was done. It was 1 in the morning and I had to be at the top of a mountain by 9 and would get up at 7. sleep was filled with the barking of Hillary.
    You see, when I was in that twilight zone, I was listening to the talking heads and all that was the trump and cruz and how pissed off everyone was at the discourse and the personal attacks and the wives...and a young woman, sitting on the side of a busy freeway , with her head in her hands.
    ..And barking dogs.
    I would have kicked anyones a$$ that attacked my wife. Or got mine kicked. Its not like I havent lost a fight. It only hurts the next day, and you get over it pretty fast.
  • Bernie Sanders Just Filed Paperwork To Sue The DNC. Here’s Why.
    by Emily Atkin Mar 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Late in the day on Thursday, Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) filed paperwork to continue an ongoing lawsuit against the Democratic National Committee. The reason surrounds an incident with the Hillary Clinton campaign that occurred more than three months ago.

The lawsuit argues that the DNC unfairly barred Sanders from accessing critical voter information — specifically, a 50-state “voter file” containing information about how to reach potential voters. The DNC briefly suspended Sanders’ access to that file in December, after one of his staffers improperly accessed Clinton’s voter data.

At the time, Sanders’ campaign officials admitted that their staffer did improperly look at Clinton’s data. But they contended that it was also the DNC’s fault, because a DNC software vendor allowed a glitch in the system which ultimately made Clinton’s data available. The glitch also made Sanders’ data available to the Clinton campaign — though no one on Clinton’s staff looked at it.

more
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/03/25/3763388/bernie-sanders-dnc-lawsuit-voter-file/

Interesting comment in the article from the guy who was eventually fired from his job as data director for the Sanders campaign... “We did not gain any material benefit.”
    Well, in that case, breaking the law is okay.