U.S. and World Politics

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    Poetic discourse tincup. We live in a world of too much info, foolish talking heads and untrustworthy and yakking politicians who make themselves the important ones, not whom they should be representing and serving.:(
  • Sanders
    Mr. Lippet
    See it/live it
    fish
    lips
    gross
  • Lol @tincup. You say the greatest things. Seriously.
  • Fear and loathing in America :
    part 2
    I was pretty amazed at how well I felt that morning, after the twenty one I gave the day before. I knew I had a bit of real driving ahead, but hadnt had an opportunity to really look at it. I did then. Ugh...sh**...I was going up to middletown and above there to the generating station that covered most of the mountains. I knew what was on the truck, and had done these so many times before. I didnt think this was different . It was.
    Driving up Lake County takes you back. Through tight gorges, climbing beside the river above wine country. It can take you anywhere you wanna go. I trying to get sixty feet through spots made for thirty and was only intent at getting to where I was going. I felt some relief when I finally got to Middletown and the road that was to take me up to the site. I took a break. I wanted to see ahead . I walked a couple of blocks to where the river was running through and watched as the water ran clear and cold, over it and through it and felt I had the climb inside me.
    I jumped back inside my truck and took off for the last hard climb. I was so full of my job that I didnt notice when everything changed around me.
    I never mentioned how green everything was. How tall the trees. How diverse the landscape. I had been taking advantage of Gods gifts and thought the same of you.
    I was suddenly thrust into a moonscape of burnt forest. And homes. I dont even know when i went from beauty to ugly. I was just there. everywhere.
    Pretty soon I was getting what was happening...This whole mountain had been over run. I was no longer trying to get to a drop. I was working my way through a lifetime to bring some parts that was to help rebuild this devastated area. I was on that mountain a few hours and was struck by the loss. Acres of equipment lost.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited March 2016
    Tincup, your writing style reminds me of Ken Kesey, "Sometimes a Great Notion", about Oregonian logger family. You have a richness in description of your experience of the landscapes you encounter. I loved Keseys's descriptions of the beautiful fecund and wet landscape of Oregon that could be overwhelming.:) I recognize what you are describing are the devastating results of those CA forest fires in 2015. K
  • Fear and loathing in America:
    Part 3

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive."

When I came off that mountain, I finally got to see what was behind me. I didn't know the moment I was in this devastation, but I could see the loss in front of me. Every moment I went by, I could see gates to the left, I could see gates to the right filled with flowers on gates of people who had come by to visit their loss. I could see beyond the gates and the burnt property foundations burnt to the ground mile after mile, nothing but flowers on gates.
    I never saw one of those as I was going up the mountain. Again, I never even recognized when I went from hope to despair. But coming back down, I could measure it and that was by gate and gate and gate. By the time I got back to Middletown, I could actually see where the flames hit the buildings of the city and I was crushed. I had about a half a mile to hit the main road out and I cruised thru Middletown and you could see how Middletown was the same as I had left it hours and hours before. Peaceful, green, a sanctuary. I drove a block and I looked to my left at an art studio and over a fence of vine covered wood to a group of students laughing and drinking coffee. Knowing where I'd just come from, it put a smile on my face. I turned right on the road out of town covering the same type turns, following that same clean river down, rumbling over rocks going this way and that way and was struck again by a barking dog.
    I knew I'd just seen real life. As I finally dropped down into Napa Valley and said "hello" to Sterling and Robert Mondavi and all the great vineyards across St Helena and Napa and the road that would finally lead me home I looked in my rear view mirror, and knew I didn't see as well behind me as I do in front of me. It's not my place to say who Ted Cruz is, nor Bernie Sanders. Donald Trump is popular for being real. Hillary Clinton doesn't do button-up, but she can do real life. She's best when she's angry. She's best when she has focus. We need focus.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Donald Trump is not real. You don't like Saunder's fish lips, tincup. I don't know enough about him. I just don't like Hillary, but who do we have left who is competent? Sad state of the current top world power not to produce a credible presential contender, albeit IMO.
  • Donald Trump is not real. You don't like Saunder's fish lips, tincup. I don't know enough about him. I just don't like Hillary, but who do we have left who is competent? Sad state of the current top world power not to produce a credible presential contender, albeit IMO.
    Au contraire mon ami....
    The don is very real. And speaking to the very heart of the american peoples. The fight shouldnt be between the left and right. the fight is in the right of self determination. Do not let yourself be swayed.
    It is our right....
    our...right....all our right to be govern.
    all
  • KMMKMM Member
    The Don is not real. He is playing to an audience he has found; he is messing with the base he is appealing to. He is a made up moniker with no substance behind his words. Scary guy! This guy has no substance; he is a chareleton who has figured out his magic tricks for a group who doesn't get he is a liar; IMO.
  • edited March 2016
    I hate to be contrary, but the "don" is not speaking to my heart or the hearts of most American people I know. I only have come across people who support him on the internet. I don't know about Bernie and his foreign policy, but there is not one Republican candidate I could support at this point. Kasich tries to come across as moderate, but his policies show he's not really; he's certainly not for women. Whether Bernie is the candidate or Hillary is, I'm still voting for one of them unless an Independent shows up who I like. Cruz and Trump are ridiculous. I have voted Republican before, but there is not one running now that I trust.
  • I hate to be contrary, but the "don" is not speaking to my heart or the hearts of most American people I know. I only have come across people who support him on the internet. I don't know about Bernie and his foreign policy, but there is not one Republican candidate I could support at this point. Kasich tries to come across as moderate, but his policies show he's not really; he's certainly not for women. Whether Bernie is the candidate or Hillary is, I'm still voting for one of them unless an Independent shows up who I like. Cruz and Trump are ridiculous. I have voted Republican before, but there is not one running now that I trust.
    Do not hate. Even to the contrary.
    The don is rolling for a reason. Its up to us to figure out why.
    It doesnt make any difference if he wins, only that people listen.
    Any people.
    It becomes our job to figure out why.
    Now...be very careful here...I know stuff, what do you know?
    Do you really know why you vote the way you do? Dixie chick...lol
    Do you really want to go down that long lonesome road....southern man...lol
    like you...you
    you
    you
    you
    Have a voice....dixie chick
  • Darn, T, that is all so good, I hate to change the tone.
    So I'll wait until the morrow.
  • That is good, @tincup, though I'm not sure what you're saying to me. Dixie chick, huh? I kind of like that. I do know why I vote the way I do.
  • That is good, @tincup, though I'm not sure what you're saying to me. Dixie chick, huh? I kind of like that. I do know why I vote the way I do.
    Tell us my queen...Why do you vote the way you do?
    Take a moment to feel the breeze off the gulf, then turn and tell me why?
    Are the walls falling
    have you no hay to cut
    what is it ?
    the sky too close? try montana...makes you feel like the clouds could be climbed like the rocks of Joshua Tree
    The guilt too heavy?
    Tell me why the tone is filled with anger, filled frustration, filled with violence
    Give me a reason you join with those that would step on free speech
    Why do you vote with those that would engineer social propriety.
    Why would you want to smash individual expression
    Why, why ,why...would you choose to smash any single human
    give me something.

• edited March 2016
    @tincup, First of all, I would like to die in Montana. That's how much I love it. Every time I step outside my front door, I feel the breeze from the gulf and smell it. It's right there and I love it. But, Montana is something special. I love it all, the sky, the people, the wildlife, everything!

Second of all, I'm not angry. Did you mean at you? If so, I'm not. I liked the Dixie chick thing. At the world? No, not really. I've been angry at the Republicans for the past seven years and I don't want a Republican president. I just don't like their policies, but there are lots of people in my life who I love who are Republicans. (Yes, I sound angry about Trump, because he makes my skin crawl. No more, no less and he lies.)

What in the hell am I supposed to feel guilty about? I will admit that I do feel guilty that I was rude to you when you first came here. I guess I never apologized, but I'm sorry. At the time I was confused about who you were. But I am sorry and no excuse for rudeness. I realize that's not what you meant, but had to say that.

I'm just for equal rights for everyone. I feel no person should have to go bankrupt, lose their life savings, or homes because they can't afford health insurance. I think the country should be about "we" not "me." I am a Christian and still say my prayers every night, but I don't think people should force their religious beliefs down anyone's throat and shouldn't discriminate because of religion (such as not serving gays, etc. because of their beliefs.) I don't want rich (or poor ones) white men telling women what they can and cannot do with their bodies. I'm for equal rights regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, and sexual orientation. Care of our planet is important to me. I'm concerned about our environment and wildlife.

Whew! There you go. I'm giving you something. As a former little hippy want-to-be, I'm all for free speech, but not inciting violence. Anyway, I'm giving you something here. Maybe not what you were asking for, but something.

• Chrome and Bernie both winners today! I am pleased.
  • Louise, I'm so glad to "know" you via this Forum. You and another friend are the only two Southerners I personally know who are so sensible and intelligent and liberal. I have quite a few acquaintances from the South I just don't talk to about anything beyond trivia and the weather. It's very sad. They are so locked into their prejudices.

tincup, I'm probably the only reader here who got your allusion to "the rocks of Joshua Tree." I especially love the ones at Hidden Valley. Back in my much younger days I used to love climbing around in those rocks (not the high ones with ropes and pitons), but I stay on flat ground as much as possible these days. In 2 weeks, I'll be 77. Where did the time go?
  • Well said Louise!

VA, I have not lived in the South since I married 31 years ago but I am Deep South born and bred but fully agree with you and Louise. Now, don't get me started on my still Southern based cousins!
  • Good for you, Wezzie. I think it must take a conscious effort to overcome deeply ingrained prejudices. I have cousins living in the South, but they live in Florida and the family originated in the North.I spent 4 years living in the Carolinas. It was a total shock to me. It was during the early 60s before the Civil Rights movement and I thought some of the "rules" were so stupid, and actually laughable. The one that especially got me was that African-Americans were not allowed to sit at the same lunch counter in Woolworths, but they could try on clothes, and even hats. I say "even hats" because in those days women wore hats outdoors and African-American women put greasy stuff on their hair to straighten it. You'd think the store owners wouldn't want to get that greasy stuff on the inside of the hats so they would not allow women wearing it to try on hats. But they did. I thought that was hilarious.

The thing I hate about the so-called "foreign policy" of just about all the Republicans is that it is based on cringing fear and on creating even more fear among their "fellow" Americans. What words do they hear in the National Anthem in place of the last few words? -- "the home of the brave."
  • Thanks @VA_in_CA and @Wezzie, I'm proud to be from the Deep South and proud to be different from almost everyone else here. Lol!
  • Hooray for you, Louise. Were you successful in countering that pernicious atmosphere when raising your kids?
  • Yes!I raised two beautiful, sweet, strong democratic daughters despite their father's influence. Haha! He's always been outnumbered with all girls so he wasn't surprised.
  • Oh, good for you, Louise. That is something to be truly proud of.

I didn't do so well. My daughter became a hyper-religious type and also consciously tries to be 180 degrees the opposite of me, and she is rather easily led. My son became a Libertarian, which isn't quite as rote-thinking as the super-religious extremists, but is also wrong-thinking. He hates taxes so much he thinks the government "steals" the money and he hates policemen.
  • Friday, Mar 25, 2016 04:19 PM EDT
    Hillary Clinton’s “dirty politics”: Bernie Sanders is experiencing the same nasty tricks that Clinton’s campaign dealt Obama in 2008
    Clinton's campaign is alienating Bernie Sanders supporters — it could cost her in the general election
    H.A. Goodman

With allegations of voter suppression in Arizona, as well as questions about the Clinton campaign’s tactics in Iowa, Nevada, and other states, some historical context is needed. In 2008, The Atlantic published an article explaining “dirty politics” and voting “irregularities” titled “Obama Manager Accuses Clintons of Widespread Dirty Politics”:

“David Plouffe, in a succinct statement appended to a released quotation from his boss, Barack Obama, said the Obama campaign was investigating more than 200 reporters of irregularities in Nevada.

‘We currently have reports of over 200 separate incidents of trouble at caucus sites, including doors being closed up to thirty minutes early, registration forms running out so people were turned away, and ID being requested and checked in a non-uniform fashion. This is in addition to the Clinton campaign’s efforts to confuse voters and call into question the at-large caucus sites which clearly had an affect on turnout at these locations. These kinds of Clinton campaign tactics were part of an entire week’s worth of false, divisive, attacks designed to mislead caucus-goers and discredit the caucus itself.’

Plouffe asks Nevadans to call a toll-free number… and report any other problems.”

Sound familiar? Every single one of the voting irregularities Plouffe complained about in 2008 have been experienced by the Bernie Sanders campaign.

History is repeating itself in 2016.

of course there is more...
    http://www.salon.com/2016/03/25/hillary_clintons_dirty_politics_bernie_sanders_is_experiencing_the_same_nasty_tricks_that_clintons_campaign_dealt_obama_in_2008/

• tincuptincup Member
    edited March 2016
    I was told here, only republicans do that kind of nasty stuff. It was never mentioned that real humans used such tactics. Super glad I dont wear hats.