U.S. and World Politics

Comments

• North Carolina attorney general won’t defend transgender law: It’s a ‘national embarrassment’

Michael Walsh Reporter
    March 29, 2016

One day after civil liberties groups filed suit to fight a controversial “bathroom bill” in North Carolina that they say discriminates against the LGBT community, state Attorney General Roy Cooper announced that he would not defend its constitutionality.

“We should not even be here today, but we are. We’re here because the governor has signed statewide legislation that puts discrimination into the law,” Cooper told reporters in Raleigh Tuesday.

According to Cooper, House Bill 2 (HB2) is in direct conflict with nondiscrimination policies at North Carolina’s justice department and treasurer’s office, as well as many of the state’s businesses. Though the LGBT community is targeted, he said, it could ultimately result in the discrimination of other groups as well.

more
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/ny-gov-cuomo-bans-travel-to-north-carolina-in-184327168.html
  • Good for the attorney general! They should be ashamed of themselves. Thank goodness Georgia saw the light after TWD, Disney, and many others threatened to not film there.
  • And the clerk in KY who decided it was against her religious views to sign marriage applications for homosexuals?
  • My personal opinion is that she shouldn't be forced to go against her religious views, but the state should have someone else there to sign the applications. I am Christian, but my church recognizes gay marriage and performs gay weddings. I'm all for freedom of religion, but I don't believe in a religion shoving their views down my throat. There are lots of people that are not Christian or are atheists out there and someone else's religious views should not impact them.
  • If she can not do her job because of her religious beliefs then she needs to find another job.
    And the clerk in KY who decided it was against her religious views to sign marriage applications for homosexuals?
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited March 2016
    So if I take a job... whether I get hired or elected to it... let's say, serving in a restaurant and my religion says pork products are verbotent I can refused to serve them and still keep my job?
    If she can not do her job because of her religious beliefs then she needs to find another job.

Well, darn, Wezzie... that was going to be my point! Need to type faster!

And I say it applies to the NC AG as well. The law may be a bad one, but it IS the law. The cops can't say They're not going to enforce laws they personally disagree with. Why can the state's top cop get away with it?

And we also have laws about coming into this country. You break the law by sneaking in, you should not be allowed to stay just because you've been here 10 days or 10 years.
  • I do know that Muslim truck drivers are allowed to refuse and not be fired from their company, loads with alcohol or other Koran banned products. Federal law. I agree with Louise though. :)
  • While on the subject. .....I sure wish gay couples would hire the bakeries standing in line to make their wedding cake instead of forcing their beliefs on the baker that would prefer not to.

(I hope this is not considered a double post. I'm on my phone still until it's not so painful to sit at the computer ).
  • I get what you're saying @sarinne. If it were me, I'm not sure I would want the cake from someone who was disgusted with what I was doing. Maybe if it were the only bakery to choose from, I could understand, but otherwise, get someone who would be honored to make your cake.
  • That's exactly my point. Louise. I'd rather go to someone excited by my wedding rather than someone who is not interested in participating.
  • I agree, S.

However, someone who is elected to a position is expected to do perform ALL the tasks, not pick and choose the ones they want to do. They get paid to do the entire job. I don't care if that is a county clerk, a garbage collector or president.
  • Touche @whoodler. Elected is different. But my point still stands about Muslim truck drivers.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited March 2016
    I too would prefer someone who is excited to participate in my wedding. However, if businesses are 'allowed' to discriminate where is the line drawn? I don't believe woman should be served without a male companion? I believe men with our facial hair are breaking the covenant and I will not serve them? I believe all dark skinned races are inferior and I will not serve them?

If you are in business, serving the public, you do not get to discriminate! Not based on religion, or race, or gender, or anything at all!
    While on the subject. .....I sure wish gay couples would hire the bakeries standing in line to make their wedding cake instead of forcing their beliefs on the baker that would prefer not to.

(I hope this is not considered a double post. I'm on my phone still until it's not so painful to sit at the computer ).
  • Well, I disagree with that.

If I am in business for myself and not receiving any benefits or supplements from government funding, be it local, state or federal, I should get to serve or not serve whomever I please. It's called private enterprise for a reason. If I own property, I should be free to rent to anyone I want and to not rent to anyone I don't want. As long as I am not getting anything from the government... tax breaks, whatever... I should be able to hire anyone I want and not be obliged to have a certain percentage of handicapped, minority, catholic/baptist/jewish/etc employees. As long as the I am not receiving funding from some government source, I should be able to set my pay scale as I choose.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes, I figured this would be one that we disagree on. And thats ok! And the reason we have laws such as...
    There is a federal law about renting discrimination
    You can reject someone with a bad rental, employment issues, bad credit record, a history of not taking care of property.
    You cannot discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability (physical or mental), or family status.
    Well, I disagree with that.

If I am in business for myself and not receiving any benefits or supplements from government funding, be it local, state or federal, I should get to serve or not serve whomever I please. It's called private enterprise for a reason. If I own property, I should be free to rent to anyone I want and to not rent to anyone I don't want. As long as I am not getting anything from the government... tax breaks, whatever... I should be able to hire anyone I want and not be obliged to have a certain percentage of handicapped, minority, catholic/baptist/jewish/etc employees. As long as the I am not receiving funding from some government source, I should be able to set my pay scale as I choose.

• There is a federal law about renting discrimination
    You can reject someone with a bad rental, employment issues, bad credit record, a history of not taking care of property.
    You cannot discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability (physical or mental), or family status.
  • Yep, there are federal laws about seatbelts and helmets too. Soon it will be the amount of sugar and sodium you can legally ingest in any 24 hour period and how many hours your tv can be on in a week.
  • You're right, but I didn't make the laws. Just sharing.
  • You're right. You... and I... didn't make the laws. But we have to abide by them anyway, even if our religions tell us something else.
  • Exactly!
    You're right. You... and I... didn't make the laws. But we have to abide by them anyway, even if our religions tell us something else.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited March 2016
    The public official could have chosen to step down. Laws of the country to protect every one. Do you think that people out of the norm choose to be the way they are on a whim? Gay, black, lesbian, etc. ...discrimination laws protect us all. Bake a cake for a gay couple...come on...it is a cake. It is commerce...the question has not arisen if maybe they baked a cake for Mafia or KKK?
  • Bernie Sanders: 'I think we know who ISIS is'
    By Eric Bradner, CNN
    Updated 12:47 PM ET, Sun March 27, 2016

Washington (CNN) — Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders says the United States needs to toughen its surveillance to stop Brussels-style ISIS attacks, adding that "we know who ISIS is."

"It goes without saying that when you have attacks that take place, when 30 people get killed in Brussels, something went wrong ... We have got to improve our efforts to make sure it does not happen again," he told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" Sunday when pressed for specifics.

Sanders credited President Barack Obama for his handling of the fight against ISIS, saying that the terrorist organization is "on the defensive. They are retreating."

Sanders also made a claim that seems at odds with intelligence agencies' concerns about ISIS-inspired attacks in Western countries.

"I think we know who ISIS is. We know those people who are planning attacks against our European allies and against ourselves," he said.

read on
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/27/politics/bernie-sanders-isis-surveillance/index.html

I want some of whatever he's smoking.
  • Populist vs Traditionalist
    As the GOP fractures, establishment republicans are left scratching their heads and wondering why the party is deeply set against itself.
    Meanwhile, one more Republican Gov. will destroy any chance at diverse appeal, standing on a ridiculous position of willful discrimination.
  • Well, T The Dems aren't in such good shape themselves. They can only find TWO people in the party who want to be President? Dick and Jane and nobody in sight with any chance of making a difference in any positive aspect.
  • Well..I real cant speak to that side of the aisle. Has always seemed strictly minor league.
    With very few exceptions...a puddle of muddy water.
    Even to the great lord and master of the left, left sitting with indecision as millions died, and lamenting his lonely yacht and listening to the wonderful voice of Woody Guthrie.