Keith Desormeaux

As one of the up and coming trainers on the Derby trail over the past few years, I think it's about time that he had his own discussion. He is currently the trainer of the following known stakes horses: Texas Red, Exaggerator, Swipe, Right There, Decked Out, Go Long, and Not Now Carolyn. His first stakes horse was I've Struck A Nerve, who won the Risen Star in 2013 at odds of 135-1.

He owns a stake in several racehorses that he trains, such as Texas Red, but he also races horses under his own name (such as Alpine Luck). He also has a two year old named Gem Dandy (thought to be a twist on "Jim Dandy," a race which Texas Red won last year).

He is known for buying top horses for bargain prices. Texas Red was sold for only $17,000 while Swipe was sold for the rock bottom price of $5000.

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum, but below is a list of 2yos he advised his clients purchase last fall as yearlings. Most will be trained by him, but a few have sold or will be sold at the current OBS March 2yos in Training Sale.

Named:
Calling For Ice - Dialed In x Zephyr Ice (Military)
Gem Dandy - First Samurai x Detach (Unbridled)
Circulate - Lonhro x Rizzi Rose (El Prado)
Princess Coco - Pioneerof the Nile x A.P. Cindy (A.P. Indy)
Gia Mama Mia - Gio Ponti x Kate C (Mineshaft)
Irish Goodbye - Hat Trick x Exchange Funds (Speightstown)
Gemeister - Gemologist x Prankster (Ghostzapper)
Pattin for a Dance - Country Day x Cafe (Medaglia d'Oro)
Perfect Cocktail - Broken Vow x Cocktail Cruise (Hennessey)
Saratoga San - Broken Vow x Bumble Bee Mama (Notebook)
Vibe - Astrology x Oaks Lily (Badge of Silver)

Unnamed:
Astrology x Cosmo Girl (City Zip)
Stay Thirsty x Wind Flow (Indian Charlie)
Gemologist x Gem Sleuth (Officer)
Any Given Saturday x Brucie (Fusaichi Pegasus)
Star Guitar x Good Mood (Danehill Dancer)
Lemon Drop Kid x High Proposal (High Yield)
Astrology x Miss Stonestreet (Mr. Greeley)
Afleet Alex x Swampoodle (Broken Vow)
Spring at Last x Whoopty Whoopty (Distorted Humor)
Discreetly Mine x True and True (Yes It's True)
Quality Road x She Nuit All (Lost Soldier)
Bodemeister x Gold Plated (Touch Gold)
Fusaichi Pegasus x Love Spun (Hard Spun)
Union Rags x Bayou Breeze (A.P. Indy)

Sold or going to be sold:
First Dude x Keep on Burnin (Gilded Time) - RNA'd at the sale, but sold privately to one of Mark Casse's clients
Hard Spun x Final Fling (Bertrando) - Keith is going to buy this one if it doesn't sell, which seems likely
Majesticperfection x Seal of Approval (Vindication) - bought by Hill 'n' Dale farm, so possibly to be trained by Baffert
Mizzen Mast x Catchy Tune (Bernstein) - sold for $115k
Mineshaft x Just an Inkling (Giant's Causeway) - this one may be sold at a later sale, or they may keep it

Princess Coco and the Star Guitar colt are both currently in training at Santa Anita. All others I believe are still in Florida. I haven't heard any updates on them recently. The Star Guitar is supposed to have a really great attitude towards training.

EDIT: Here's an article that might provide some insight on him and his purchasing/training methods as well: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/96085/a-few-questions-with-keith-desormeaux

Comments

• jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited March 2016
    Typically Keith just advises purchasing yearlings (pretty sure it's just because they're cheaper), but one of his clients bought a 2yo at the March OBS sale for $20k named Turbo Drive (Gio Ponti x Snappy Tune by Tour d'Or). It's an unusual move for him, so he must have seen something he liked.

EDIT: Also it looks like the Mizzen Mast x Catchy Tune colt didn't sell after all. They're going to keep him. This is one that Erich Brehm really liked early on though.
    edited March 2016
    The following horses are being sold at the Spring OBS sale:

Calling for Ice
    Astrology x Cosmo Girl (City Zip)
    Stay Thirsty x Wind Flow (Indian Charlie)
    Gemologist x Gem Sleuth (Officer)
    Any Given Saturday x Brucie (Fusaichi Pegasus)
    Bodemeister x Gold Plated (Touch Gold)
    Mineshaft x Just an Inkling (Giant's Causeway)
    Afleet Alex x Swampoodle (Broken Vow)
    Spring at Last x Whoopty Whoopty (Distorted Humor)

The Hard Spun x Final Fling (Bertrando) purchased by Keith from Erich Brehm has been named Ucanthankmelater.

Union Rags x Bayou Breeze (A.P. Indy) is now Bayou El.

Also Swipe will make his 2016 debut in the Lexington Stakes, which gives 10 points to the Kentucky Derby. http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/swipe-pointing-for-lexington-derby-possible/
  • I've just been informed that Dalmore is a likely entry for the Wood Memorial. Keith has always thought very highly of him, but this is still a surprise to me.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Take a shot.
  • I've just been informed that Dalmore is a likely entry for the Wood Memorial. Keith has always thought very highly of him, but this is still a surprise to me.
    Thank you for coming back with insight and answers.
    My first thought was the softer spot of the wood vs. the other 100 point races, but am starting to lean the other way. I`m not sure the wood is as soft as I first thought.
    Really looking forward to tomorrows draw.
  • Dalmore is nominated to the Wood and the Santa Anita Derby, but not to the Arkansas Derby or the Blue Grass. So his choices are limited to those two races. He's also nominated to the Lexington Stakes, but that race by itself it doesn't offer enough points to qualify the winner for the Derby.
  • Dalmore is nominated to the Wood and the Santa Anita Derby, but not to the Arkansas Derby or the Blue Grass. So his choices are limited to those two races. He's also nominated to the Lexington Stakes, but that race by itself it doesn't offer enough points to qualify the winner for the Derby.
    Thanks for that.
    I went to the Oaklawn page and found every nomination list except the Derby..lol
    He'll be entered in the Wood. Keith doesn't want to race his horses against each other unless he has to. Exaggerator is going to the Santa Anita Derby and Swipe is going to the Lexington Stakes, which only leaves the Wood for Dalmore.
  • I don't blame him, even though other trainers do it. Entries should be out tomorrow.
  • http://www.drf.com/news/exaggerator-gets-shot-redemption-santa-anita-derby

Keith Desormeaux discusses both Exaggerator and Swipe in this article. If Exaggerator doesn't do well in the Santa Anita Derby and Swipe wins the Lexington, it sounds like Kent Desormeaux will ride Swipe in the Kentucky Derby (assuming he has the points for it).
  • While Swipe is not on one of the list of probable entries for the Lexington, as of this morning it is still Keith's intention to enter him in the race.

Here's the list of other probable entries for reference:
    - Synchrony
    - Riker
    - Big Squeeze
    - Direct Message
    - Lomcevak
    - Pinson
    - Yo Carm
  • I thought this was a pretty good interview with Keith Desormeaux today:

He talks about Exaggerator, Swipe, and Texas Red.

He said Exaggerator came out of the SA Derby really well and he'll at least have two more weeks at Santa Anita. Not sure yet if he ships a week early to Churchill to get a work over the track or not.

It sounds like if Swipe comes out of the Lexington really well and qualifies for the Derby, he'll consider sending him, but with Exaggerator already going there isn't a real push for it.

Texas Red is aiming for the Gold Cup at Santa Anita in June now. Keith is just trying to get a prep under his belt before then, but he didn't list anything in particular.
    edited April 2016
    Swipe just had surgery for entrapped epiglottis, which is the same surgery that Frosted and Cupid have undergone to fix a breathing problem he encountered in the Lexington Stakes. He is temporarily out of training until late May while he recovers.
  • Exaggerator had a nice, slow workout at Churchill Downs today, which is exactly what Keith was looking for. He had an almost identical workout before the Santa Anita Derby and Keith has been trying to get Exaggerator to settle lately.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/triple/derby/2016/04/30/kentucky-derby-2016--exaggerator-smooth-in-workout-at-churchill-downs/83745264/
  • I'd advise keeping a close eye on Princess Coco. Erich Brehm seems very excited about her and actually has dedicated his Twitter account (@brehmracing) to updates on her. It looks like she will have her own pink/leopard print silks as well.
  • Article about how Texas Red changed Keith's life: http://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/horse-who-changed-everything/3603-keith-desormeaux-texas-red

Also keep a close eye on Mizzen Me. I think he, Princess Coco, and Chord on Blues are going to be some big runners from Keith Desormeaux this year and next.
  • I wasn't sure where else to put this DRF feature on Julie Clark, who is Keith Desormeaux's girlfriend and assistant trainer. Sounds like they have a great personal and professional relationship though.

https://drf.com/news/team-exaggerators-leading-lady
    edited June 2016
    Keith Desormeaux has two 2yo fillies entered in the 2nd race at Santa Anita today:

1 - Crime Boss - E A Maldonado - 12/1
    2 - Miss Southern Miss - F Prat - 6/1

They are owned by separate owners, who are both new clients for Keith.

He also has two 2yo colts owned by Big Chief Racing entered in the 5th race at Santa Anita tomorrow:

1 - Super Echelon - R Chirinos - 10/1
    2 - Ucanthankmelater - A Lezcano - 12/1
  • Belmont Stakes: Keith Desormeaux on Exaggerator:
  • Miss Southern Miss won her debut by 3 1/4 lengths under a hand ride! Very impressive run from her too. She sat just behind the leaders and split rivals. She has been the workmate to Princess Coco recently, who is set to debut in under a month. Exciting stuff!
  • Princess Coco is debuting on Thursday! She's entered in Race 3 going 5f on the dirt at Santa Anita, which will be on around 5:30 EST. I really think she's going to be something special. She has regularly outworked Miss Southern Miss, who broke her maiden impressively in her first start two weeks ago.
  • Swipe is returning in the next race at Belmont, which should be on at about 5:09 PM EST, in case any of you guys were interested in watching it.
  • Swipe was third by a neck. Looked good. Think he might want more distance.
    edited June 2016
    Yup, this was just a prep race for him to sharpen him up. He's only had two easy workouts and one sharpener since his throat surgery, so he definitely wasn't fully cranked. He'll be pointed at the Dwyer, then the Jim Dandy and Travers.
    edited July 2016
    Dalmore just won the G3 Affirmed against Danzing Candy in a monster performance for him. I'm really excited to see where Keith puts him next.

EDIT: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212970/dalmore-upsets-danzing-candy-in-affirmed