RIP Z16

Just announced on the Blog Side.

I'm so sorry everybody.

http://www.zenyatta.com/news/zenyattas-2016-foal-has-passed-away

Comments

• Terrible news. The Mosses must be devastated to lose another. RIP.
  • What a tragedy! Condolences to all involved, including the members of this site who I know will mourn him deeply, as well. RIP little one!
  • I was so sad to hear this news. I was just looking at the memorial for Z princess the other day and was saddened at how much promise she had. It is always so hard to loose someone but I know the Z princess will be waiting to welcome her brother home. Condolences to Team Z. We know you did everything you could. RIP little guy you are loved.
  • This is just gut wrenching. To have lost both of Zenyatta's recent foals is just horrible. The Mosses clearly loved what they saw in Z Princess too, so it makes me horribly sad that they don't even have one War Front foal.

I was worried about this happening too though...I did some research the other day on the prognosis of meconium inhalation. Apparently even with human babies under the best circumstances, there's still a 20% chance it will be fatal. I didn't want to worry anybody unnecessarily if it wasn't serious though. I guess it was more serious than we all thought =/
  • Tears. Just so heartbroken.
  • LeeLee Member
    edited April 2016
    Heartbreaking! So very sad for the Mosses.
    RIP Z16 Goodnight, sweet prince. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
  • This is just gut wrenching. To have lost both of Zenyatta's recent foals is just horrible. The Mosses clearly loved what they saw in Z Princess too, so it makes me horribly sad that they don't even have one War Front foal.

I was worried about this happening too though...I did some research the other day on the prognosis of meconium inhalation. Apparently even with human babies under the best circumstances, there's still a 20% chance it will be fatal. I didn't want to worry anybody unnecessarily if it wasn't serious though. I guess it was more serious than we all thought =/
    @jaefeathered

I was in the same boat. I didn't want to upset anyone but given what causes meconium staining combined with the words "assist in standing..."

You hold your breath and hope for the best. I kept hoping for the best. :(

• Yeah I noticed the "standing with assistance" too but I was really hoping he'd pull through...Team Zenyatta made it sound like it wasn't that bad and just a precaution.
  • I have a question. Would allowing Z to be a nurse mare help her through this. I know that she is probably morning him, but would she be able to nurse an orphaned colt or fully this year? My heart breaks for her. She looks so happy being a mom. I was afraid out would happen, but hoped for the best. I had an emergency section because my premie pased meconium, it was touch and go for the first few days, but he made it.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited April 2016
    I have a question. Would allowing Z to be a nurse mare help her through this. I know that she is probably morning him, but would she be able to nurse an orphaned colt or fully this year? My heart breaks for her. She looks so happy being a mom. I was afraid out would happen, but hoped for the best. I had an emergency section because my premie pased meconium, it was touch and go for the first few days, but he made it.
    I'm seeing this come up a few places so, just to help with perspective.

1) I think given her demeanor and her love of foals, Zenyatta certainly possess the temperament to be a nurse mare.

2) That said, without a foal on her, nursing, her milk is already drying up. They would literally have to have an orphan foal in need right now to even consider trying.

3) The insurance company carrying the policy on Zenyatta would probably negate the idea stone cold. A mare of her reproductive value, being risked for an orphan foal adoption (it is still a risk) is just a big NO from their perspective.

Nature has designed Zenyatta to be resilient in a situation like this. There are a few ways they could have used to allow her to process the loss and move forward.

It's Ann, Jerry the Lane's End staff the Rood and Riddle staff and all of us who are going to be grieving this loss for a while to come.

• Hard to find the words, I feel such overwhelming sadness for Zenyatta. Condolences to all the connections on Team Z and Lane's End. My heart is breaking for Ann and Jerry Moss. RIP Z16.
  • mc3mc3 Member
    this is so sad
  • zfanzfan Member
    So sad like everyone involved near and far.
  • Terrible news. Life is so fragile.
  • I have a question. Would allowing Z to be a nurse mare help her through this. I know that she is probably morning him, but would she be able to nurse an orphaned colt or fully this year? My heart breaks for her. She looks so happy being a mom. I was afraid out would happen, but hoped for the best. I had an emergency section because my premie pased meconium, it was touch and go for the first few days, but he made it.

1) I think given her demeanor and her love of foals, Zenyatta certainly possess the temperament to be a nurse mare.

2) That said, without a foal on her, nursing, her milk is already drying up. They would literally have to have an orphan foal in need right now to even consider trying.

3) The insurance company carrying the policy on Zenyatta would probably negate the idea stone cold. A mare of her reproductive value, being risked for an orphan foal adoption (it is still a risk) is just a big NO from their perspective.

Nature has designed Zenyatta to be resilient in a situation like this. There are a few ways they could have used to allow her to process the loss and move forward.

It's Ann, Jerry the Lane's End staff the Rood and Riddle staff and all of us who are going to be grieving this loss for a while to come.

Thank you for answering. I know horses process things differently than people. I'm glad of that for her sake. She is probably unaware of what happened to A Princess. I knew she was a great mom but didn't think of the insurance issue. Poor X
    Z, and poor Ann and Jerry. Theo all love each other so much.

Great question and great answer. I hadn't considered any of that.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this. Meconium aspiration is always a big danger, but I was hoping for the best. My heart goes out to the Mosses, and to Zenyatta and everyone who cares for her. Two foals in a row is such a hard blow. But I'm grateful that they were able to get the best of care for Zenyatta and her foal.
  • My heart goes out to the Mosses and Zenyatta it is sad 2 babies in a row hope she will be ok.
  • The website broke again and I knew it was bad. It's hard to express my feelings. Can't imagine the pain all the connections are feeling. I'm so sorry for everyone.
  • I so hope Ann and Jerry Moss stay with Zenyatta a while longer --- for some reason I need to see just one more picture --- their loving support for Z --- then I'll know that they can all move forward. I just think Zenyatta needs them right now. My emotions are overtaking my logic ......
  • I also wanted to say how grateful I am to all of Zenyatta's connections for being so open to all of her fans. I'm sure it can't be easy when they have tragic news like this to share, but I hope that they find that grief shared is grief lessened.
  • The moment I saw the same picture reposted I knew something was wrong. I am so heartbroken. The fact that they were immediately taken to the clinic and as @zenyen said "combined with the words 'assist in standing...'" I had a knot in my stomach ever since. But never truly thought this would be the outcome.

I am also so sorry for the Dumplings who are on this site all the time. I know how much the colt meant to all of us/you. And I am so sorry for everyone's loss today.

I am reminded of the quote Gretchen Jackson said at Barbaro's passing "Certainly, grief is the price we all pay for love". While we didn't get nearly enough time with this little colt, he was a part of Zenyatta, who we all love. And THAT I would never change. I am at least grateful today that she is ok and hopefully knows she is loved.
  • Heartfelt condolences to the Mosses, and all connected to Lane`s End. I feel terribly sad for everyone. He was a lovely young guy, and I couldn't help thinking he must look like his mother when she was born.
  • I think the worst part is that you just didn't see it coming. The meconium issue was mentioned, but all I could think of was that 80% chance of everything turning out okay. He was with the best people money could buy, so there was no real concern that he wouldn't come home. I just feel really sad for everyone involved, because losing a loved one is so hard.