RIP Z16

Comments

• This is an unbearable tragedy. I have no words.
  • Unfortunately this is a very common thing in horses, in all animals actually. Many many foals are lost every year with this, however its because the Mosses are so open to letting us know everyday about Zenyatta that we know that it happened. I myself have worked on babies like this, and there is a chance it will be okay, but more often than not, it is bad news. It was not Zenyatta's fault for carrying to long, it was not the Mosses fault or Lanes End like so many on other pages are posting. Nobody did anything wrong, it just happened. Carrying the foal over her "date" is not uncommon, as a matter of fact I have watched, and assisted at births of foals at 12 months gestation. It is nature and when a mare is ready to foal, she will. Zenyatta, like other moms who lose babies will forget in a day or so and move on to be bred again soon. Nature makes it possible for a mother animal to forget fairly quickly when losing a baby.
    When we had mares lose their babies, we would let the mare be in the stall with the deceased baby , smelling, looking and realize baby is not alive any longer. They will walk away at some point and then we would remove them. Remember, even when weaning, mom cries for baby for awhile, hours, days, then goes on with her life.
    I My thoughts and prayers are with the Mosses and Lanes End crew who love Zenyatta like each of us. Their sorrow, like ours will carry on for longer than Zenyatta's will.
  • That was a very nice post grandma. Thanks
    I've read that while induction is an option, it is risky for both the foal and the mare. Is that right?
  • edited April 2016
    I had a suspicion on Monday that this might happen. A couple of times I had a draft comment saying "Am I the only one who feels this is serious and we may receive bad news?" But I never could bring myself to click on the "Post Comment" button; partly because I was afraid of the backlash.

So sad and I am heartsick for the Moss', especially Ann. She must have that sick empty-feeling one gets from the lost of something precious.

Edit: Just read the comments under this thread and agree with those who mentioned the concern they had when reading about the colt being assisted to stand. That sent me a red flag, and I thought "how strange that no one has made a comment about that". In fact it was very unlike this group to Not start asking "can this be fatal?" I wonder how many of us just refused to go down that path and ignored our gut feeling?
  • I had a suspicion on Monday that this might happen. A couple of times I had a draft comment saying "Am I the only one who feels this is serious and we may receive bad news?" But I never could bring myself to click on the "Post Comment" button; partly because I was afraid of the backlash.

So sad and I am heartsick for the Moss', especially Ann. She must have that sick empty-feeling one gets from the lost of something precious.
    I know how you feel. I was worried after doing searches, but was hoping and praying for the best. I was scared to post my fears.

• KMMKMM Member
    Me too. :(
  • I had been concerned since they mentioned that Zenyatta and her colt would be back at Lanes End in 48 hours. If he had been born on the 10th, both would be back at Lane's End by the 12th, and by now, the 13th, we would have most likely gotten an update. Regardless, I too, am devastated by the news. RIP Z16

On another note, would this mean that Zenyatta would be able to breed sooner this year, for a foal born in early march, possibly late February next year? (Hope no one's offended by this comment. simply curious)

• On another note, would this mean that Zenyatta would be able to breed sooner this year, for a foal born in early march, possibly late February next year? (Hope no one's offended by this comment. simply curious)
    No. It won't affect her cycle. She should still come into a foal heat, which Lane's End has indicated they do NOT breed on. Of course they could choose too but it still wouldn't make her 2017 foaling date any earlier.

If they follow their historical patterns, they'll look to breed her on her first regular cycle in early May. However, things may get changed around. We'll just have to wait and see.

What it might affect is whether or not Z16 was considered 'Stands & Nurses' per the stallion contract and whether or not the Mosses could receive War Front's services without his fee for a 2017 foal.
  • Such sad news. And then when I couldn't get on the site...

My condolences to everyone involved.
  • So very sorry for all Team Z, the Mosses, Zenny and all the fans who join in on the Blog and Forum. We've become a sort of family. Love to all, Jo.
  • Thanks to Zenyen and wyominggrandma (et.al) for the information on meconium staining. It helps to know a little more about this heartbreaking result. I was a bit concerned about this, too, but thought my worry was unfounded -- so much that I don't know.
    Sincere sympathy to all the Z family, especially Zenny, Ann and Jerry.
    16Z, we had you too briefly, but we will never forget.
  • Thank you, @wyominggrandma, for your insightful post. I have been sitting here concerned over Zenyatta's grieving process. I wanted to ask the questions, but could not find the words. Thank you, too, @Zenyen, for your explanation regarding the possibility of Zenyatta being a loving nurse mare. It would be wonderful, Z nurturing a foal in need, bringing happiness to another sad loss.
  • I'm heartbroken over this news. Sending my thoughts and prayers to Zenyatta and to all those who are surrounding her with their love during this difficult time. May the good Lord bless the little prince and keep him in His warm embrace.
  • Thank you for the post WyomngGrandma Excellent information. Truly a sad day Ann and Jerry are such good people!!!!!!! I thank God Zen is in good health.

• My condolences to all involved. Very hard to loose an animal that you love, no matter how long they were with you. So very sad.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited April 2016

What it might affect is whether or not Z16 was considered 'Stands & Nurses' per the stallion contract and whether or not the Mosses could receive War Front's services without his fee for a 2017 foal.
    I was thinking about this too. Did he ever stand on his own or was he always assisted? A thought for another day, perhaps.
  • Inducing a mare would be a last thing anyone would want to do. Just like a C-section. Horses just don't do well with them. Inducing makes the uterus start contracting and if the cervix is not open, the uterus can then rupture, most likely killing both mare and foal. In dogs, you only induce once one baby has been born to make sure the cervix is open, then you can give shots of Pitocin to keep the uterus contracting. If the cervix is not open, then disaster happens.
  • like several others, I had a gut wrenching feeling when I read about the stain, but more importantly the assist to stand. my heart breaks for what the Mosses, the staff, and the Queen are having to suffer through.

to address the stand and nurse, hard to say because none of us were there, but it sounds like he didn't stand on his own. it remains to be seen

I feel such a sense of loss

• There is a picture and an update on the blog announcement, Zenyatta with Ann in a pasture. Zenyatta looks good.
  • KMMKMM Member
    That was nice of them to post a picture of Z back home with Ann. Ann's body language with Z is telling.
  • The update to the blog put me more at ease. Ann was with Zenny who has been reunited to a horse from her Barn 55 days. She is also in her original pasture. Time heals all things. We all will remember that sweet, sweet face who stole our hearts if only for a brief moment on this earth.
  • So glad for the update and photo of Zenyatta and Ann. This is hard, hard. Poor Ann. This is so much bad luck and no one's fault. Just awful, horrible luck. I feel so sorry for everyone.
  • Just found the news that 16 Zenyatta has passed over the rainbow bridge. My condolences to the Moses, Lane's End, Team Z, Zenyatta, and all Zsters. I am just heart sick over the loss of this sweet little foal. Two babies lost in a row seems more tragic than one can imagine. RIP, sweet little one. You were loved by so many and now we mourn your loss.

I have not posted at all after I found the announcement of Zenyatta giving birth. I just had a very bad premonition that the loss of this little colt might be the outcome. Just did not want to say what I thought/know about the meconium issue at the birth of a foal. Sometimes the foal does not inhale the stained birth fluids and sometimes they do. All I can say is this is heartbreaking! :-(
  • This is incredibly generous of Ann to share with us. I am sure there is a transfer of my own feelings onto that photo but I feel an unbelievable amount of sorrow coming through.
  • I too was worried after reading about him needing assistance to stand. It would be interesting to know the exact contract of what constitutes stands and nurses.