RIP Z16

Comments

• I just saw on facebook that Vixana is the dam of Mentor Cane. I didn't know that and she has not been bred since 2010.
  • If I remember correctly, Mentor Cane tragically was lost as a 2 or 3 year old.
  • lkclkc Member
    I hated to hear this. Prayers for Z and all her humans. I know they must be heartbroken.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I think War Front owner's may honor this loss, not stands and nurses.
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    I had a suspicion on Monday that this might happen. A couple of times I had a draft comment saying "Am I the only one who feels this is serious and we may receive bad news?" But I never could bring myself to click on the "Post Comment" button; partly because I was afraid of the backlash.

So sad and I am heartsick for the Moss', especially Ann. She must have that sick empty-feeling one gets from the lost of something precious.

Edit: Just read the comments under this thread and agree with those who mentioned the concern they had when reading about the colt being assisted to stand. That sent me a red flag, and I thought "how strange that no one has made a comment about that". In fact it was very unlike this group to Not start asking "can this be fatal?" I wonder how many of us just refused to go down that path and ignored our gut feeling?
    I think there was a red flag for many of us but like you said we just didn't want to go there. This morning early I was thinking we would hopefully be getting an update that they returned to Lanes End and all was well but there was still a small nagging feeling of unrest. Oh well, so sad, Love to all
  • I had a suspicion on Monday that this might happen. A couple of times I had a draft comment saying "Am I the only one who feels this is serious and we may receive bad news?" But I never could bring myself to click on the "Post Comment" button; partly because I was afraid of the backlash.

So sad and I am heartsick for the Moss', especially Ann. She must have that sick empty-feeling one gets from the lost of something precious.

Edit: Just read the comments under this thread and agree with those who mentioned the concern they had when reading about the colt being assisted to stand. That sent me a red flag, and I thought "how strange that no one has made a comment about that". In fact it was very unlike this group to Not start asking "can this be fatal?" I wonder how many of us just refused to go down that path and ignored our gut feeling?
    I know. My fourth child passed meconium while I was in preterm labor. They immediately performed a c-section. They have him a 50/50 shot of making it through the first night. He spent nine weeks in the NICU afterwards. Thankfully, he made it through and he'll be turning seven next month. I was afraid for her little colt, but I didn't want to seem pessimistic.
  • My heart-felt condolences go out to Team Z and the Mosses. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • foalwatcherfoalwatcher Member
    edited April 2016
    You know, I'm angry with myself. I read about meconium staining but I swear I thought the chances were slim that he wouldn't pull through it. I caught the 'assisting to stand' but I honestly thought he was just a little behind a healthy foal. Because they were taken to the clinic immediately, it eased my worry. I truly feel ignorant for not being at least a little prepared. I'm SO SAD!!! The picture of Ann with Zenyatta breaks my heart for her, Zenyatta, the whole team. I'm so numb with grief for all of them and everyone here.
  • When I saw this wherever I first saw it this morning, I gasped out loud and clapped my hand over my mouth and immediately teared up. Such a tragic loss.
    When I read about the merconium staining I worried and the '' assisting to stand" scared me to death, but like so many here, I couldn't stand to think that way and instead thought if they went to the clinic surely it'll be fine. I was shocked and absolutely grieving to read that he'd passed. Poor wee baby. So little time here and so much he missed out on. Mama Z is such a good mother, I envisioned him running beside her and sleeping in the sun and basking in the love she'd have given him. RIP little one. As so many others have said here, we won't forget you. We can't.
  • I had a suspicion on Monday that this might happen. A couple of times I had a draft comment saying "Am I the only one who feels this is serious and we may receive bad news?" But I never could bring myself to click on the "Post Comment" button; partly because I was afraid of the backlash.

No you weren't. Remember prior to birth I said I had a bad feeling but recanted as not to start a "proverbial fire". My gut feeling sucks. I can't even imagine how the Moss's feel because I am just sick to my stomach. RIP little one. You were loved.
  • Here is a crass question, did the foal stand and nurse? Would they be on the hook for the stud fee?

I didn't know what Meconium aspiration syndrome was, so I looked it up.
    How horrible! Poor baby.

Do you think they will let the Queen rest this year? Or breed her again on her foal heat?
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited April 2016
    http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/the-latest/blogs/2016/4/13/elegy-for-a-newborn-colt/

This is a beautiful remembrance for him.

@Especially_horses

It was a combination of factors that caused me to hold my tongue.

1) I was hoping for the best. I was hoping this would merely be a small speed bump and would result in him being a fighter in life, determined all the way with a determination that would carry him across the finish line first.

2) I honestly didn't want to cause stress in a situation that had to already been challenging for Zenyatta and her connections. I didn't want to risk raising questions, causing panic/frustration and putting them in a situation where they might feel they had to give answers, when it was all too likely that they didn't have the answers.

3) Everybody was already saying their prayers and good wishes. What more could we do? So many were already frazzled from 'pacing' that suggesting things might be precarious just seemed ... cruel. It wouldn't have helped in any way, all of us were already giving Zenyatta, the colt and the Mosses our positive thoughts, prayers and hopes.

4) And the reasoning came full circle. I kept hoping for the best. This foal was in the best hands, wanting for nothing in terms of care. Like everybody else, I was looking forward to the update that showed him out in the paddock beside his mother.

@cindaflame

It would depend upon the definition of stand and nurses in the stallion contract and ultimately is not something we'll ever know. That is between the Mosses and Claiborne farms.

Initial reports were that plans were to send her back to the breeding shed this year. Personally, I find it curious that they've put her in with a mare who has not foaled in 6 years so ... /shrugs/

Honestly, I suspect right this very moment, even the Mosses aren't sure what they're going to do. They're still processing the loss of Z16.

But something to keep in perspective. Zenyatta will have already processed the loss. You can see it in her body language in that picture with Ann. She's relaxed, grazing; not covered in sweat or pacing the fence line calling for the foal. Zenyatta looks to be in good weight and since the complication was not with Zenyatta she should be physically fine to breed this year.

Whether Ann Moss's heart can take another potential loss might be a different story.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Nice, very nice elegy. Animals so touch our lives...
  • BetsyBBetsyB Member
    edited April 2016
    I think War Front owner's may honor this loss, not stands and nurses.
    That was my thought, that even if Z16 did manage at some point to "stand and nurse," War Front's connections likely would not stick with a strict interpretation of the contract given these two unfortunate, unrelated losses. Unless discouraged by the seemingly snakebit history so far with this pairing, I see no reason not to repeat the breeding, especially considering how promising Z Princess looked even as a weanling. Girl definitely had a backside built for power.

Got to say checking in on the forum during lunch and seeing the heading, "RIP Z16" was a gut punch. I, too, sensed some worrisome hints in the first posting about the new colt but didn't see it playing out like this. I think all with Team Zenyatta are due for something good to come along soon. At least if I had a say in the grand scheme, I'd send a major good turn of events their way. Thoughts to all involved, I'm sure everyone did their best by this boy. Some beautiful things just seem destined to be ephemeral.
  • lkclkc Member
    edited April 2016
    Delete
  • As numb and sad as I feel/felt when I read the news late this evening, I"m so thankful no one suggested such a tragic ending or wondered "out loud" here on the forum these past few days. For that I am so GRATEFUL!!!

One of the things I love so about Zenyatta is that she gets people. I'm sure she would glance our way if she could hear some of the friction created here at times, but she would also move on to greener grass pretty quickly. She ain't got time for that... and that makes me smile.
  • I agree foalwatcher and others who have made similar comments. I had the same misgivings about the "stands with assistance" comment and concerns based on my research about the condition, but did not want to get too bogged down in these worries and am relieved that negative thoughts were kept to ourselves for the most part. This is really sad and heartbreaking for all of us. The wonderful post from Julie June Steward was very helpful. Thanks for posting, Zenyen.
  • What a beautiful, tender post, foalwatcher. At such such a sorrow filled time.
  • Another beautifully written remembrance posted by Belmont Barb on Bloodhorse.com. Like the article from the link that Zenyen posted, this captures the essence of all the sorrow. Lifts my spirits just to think that Zenyatta could process the passing of Z16 in this way ....

BelmontBarb • 5 hours ago

Zenyatta's Song ~

We've come far together, you and I
    waiting patiently for your arrival
    and when the time came
    I was relieved you were not too much of a struggle
    I saw your face, so sweet and with soft eye
    but somehow distant, I wondered why
    A mother's instinct I suppose
    I prepared myself as best I could
    knowing something was beyond what anyone could do
    there was somewhere else you had to be
    on time and free
    Do not worry my little one
    I will listen for you
    as you run
    across the heavens where you shall not be tasked
    I will rear and pounce upon the ground
    run wildly across these fields of green
    with your shadow
    always, next to me
    I shall be comforted

~ With sweet sympathies
  • How raw this loss must be for the Mosses, yet they carry on and continue to gift us with Zenny's presence through this site. My heart aches for them. Everything about Zenny has been the personification of kindness and courage. The Mosses carry her legacy with them. What wonderful examples they are for us!
  • I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts. I'm so glad my instinct to "not" Post my concern kicked in and based on what I've read, that seems true for many of you too. I guess whether intentional or not "we respected the Moss' and took care of each other", I applaud us for that.
  • Hurting. But have to admit that I was ignorant of the seriousness of the Little Prince's condition. While getting on the blog yesterday, I was expecting to see that Zenyatta and the foal were both back at Lanes End. Thanks to all of you who kept your misgivings to yourselves and allowed those of us who did not suspect to have a few days of joy and hope.
  • I think we all wanted to have a few days of joy and hope, even if we were secretly worried.
  • The blog made it sound like it wasn't that serious. I did some research and found that it was, but I figured the blog would have had a more concerning tone if it was on that level. Sad.
  • The blog made it sound like it wasn't that serious. I did some research and found that it was, but I figured the blog would have had a more concerning tone if it was on that level. Sad.
    This is exactly what kept my hopes alive. They said it was "just a precaution" so I was hoping that while he had been meconium stained, it was possible he hadn't aspirated it. Even if he had survived though, there's a chance he could have had breathing problems his whole life. Poor little guy =(