RIP Z16

Comments

• zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    Another beautifully written remembrance posted by Belmont Barb on Bloodhorse.com. Like the article from the link that Zenyen posted, this captures the essence of all the sorrow. Lifts my spirits just to think that Zenyatta could process the passing of Z16 in this way ....

BelmontBarb • 5 hours ago

Zenyatta's Song ~

We've come far together, you and I
    waiting patiently for your arrival
    and when the time came
    I was relieved you were not too much of a struggle
    I saw your face, so sweet and with soft eye
    but somehow distant, I wondered why
    A mother's instinct I suppose
    I prepared myself as best I could
    knowing something was beyond what anyone could do
    there was somewhere else you had to be
    on time and free
    Do not worry my little one
    I will listen for you
    as you run
    across the heavens where you shall not be tasked
    I will rear and pounce upon the ground
    run wildly across these fields of green
    with your shadow
    always, next to me
    I shall be comforted

~ With sweet sympathies

I love Belmont Barb, she always writes just the right thing.
  • Breathing issues had occurred to me too, and I was wondering "if he survives, will he end up being unraced?"

Poor little guy had so much to overcome.
    The blog made it sound like it wasn't that serious. I did some research and found that it was, but I figured the blog would have had a more concerning tone if it was on that level. Sad.

This is exactly what kept my hopes alive. They said it was "just a precaution" so I was hoping that while he had been meconium stained, it was possible he hadn't aspirated it. Even if he had survived though, there's a chance he could have had breathing problems his whole life. Poor little guy =(
  • edited April 2016
    The blog made it sound like it wasn't that serious. I did some research and found that it was, but I figured the blog would have had a more concerning tone if it was on that level. Sad.
    I think the blog had to keep things on the downlow. There's a lot of nutty people out there in the world who derive their knowledge from the internetz and think that having an opinion makes them experts irregardless of having zero facts to back it up. And every year, like clockwork, there's usually the hue and cry of turning her into a "baby making machine" and "greedy owners" (which I think smacks of ungrateful idiocy because of how much information the Mosses have shared with us fans when they didn't have to) -- coming from people who know nothing and don't want to ask questions because they already have formulated the answers in their heads based off what they think. And then there's the anthropomorphizing crowd. It can turn into a real social media circus. Her Facebook comments are absolutely nuts, from some people.

So yeah, they had to try and make it sound not as serious as it was, or heads would have been exploding all over the place.

• zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    Another beautifully written remembrance posted by Belmont Barb on Bloodhorse.com. Like the article from the link that Zenyen posted, this captures the essence of all the sorrow. Lifts my spirits just to think that Zenyatta could process the passing of Z16 in this

I love Belmont Barb, she always writes just the right thing.
    Thanks for posting that poem Bleubetty!

• jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited April 2016
    I really think they were hoping for the best along with the rest of us. I taught childbirth classes for a number of years, and it was always amazing to me how many times babies recovered from terrible situations where they had been given nearly no chance. And then there were the babies whose hearts simply stopped beating and the doctors had no explanation. Even with all of our medical science, there is still a lot of mystery involved in which babies make it and which don't. The best we can do is hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. (I don't mean to be anthropomorphizing and I know there are issues in equine reproduction that are quite different, but also a lot of similarities.)

When Zenyatta went so long and was getting so big, I was worrying about dystocia. So although I'm very sad for the baby, I'm thrilled to see her looking so good, and I'm glad that they were quick to reassure us about her.
  • The blog made it sound like it wasn't that serious. I did some research and found that it was, but I figured the blog would have had a more concerning tone if it was on that level. Sad.

I think the blog had to keep things on the downlow. There's a lot of nutty people out there in the world who derive their knowledge from the internetz and think that having an opinion makes them experts irregardless of having zero facts to back it up. And every year, like clockwork, there's usually the hue and cry of turning her into a "baby making machine" and "greedy owners" (which I think smacks of ungrateful idiocy because of how much information the Mosses have shared with us fans when they didn't have to) -- coming from people who know nothing and don't want to ask questions because they already have formulated the answers in their heads based off what they think. And then there's the anthropomorphizing crowd. It can turn into a real social media circus. Her Facebook comments are absolutely nuts, from some people.

So yeah, they had to try and make it sound not as serious as it was, or heads would have been exploding all over the place.

Or you can even have very knowledgable people going on about how hotbloods are "looking for a place to die" when they go to the shed, and implying that Z shouldn't be bred and the Mosses are BYB . . . Grrrr. Bitter.
  • The blog made it sound like it wasn't that serious. I did some research and found that it was, but I figured the blog would have had a more concerning tone if it was on that level. Sad.

Or you can even have very knowledgable people going on about how hotbloods are "looking for a place to die" when they go to the shed, and implying that Z shouldn't be bred and the Mosses are BYB . . . Grrrr. Bitter.
    Haha. That's cuz it's HoFo. Knowledgeable crazies. I probably got her dander up because of my tongue-in-cheek comment about peons.

Haha. That's cuz it's HoFo. Knowledgeable crazies. I probably got her dander up because of my tongue-in-cheek comment about peons.
    Probably. But the amount of World and Congress titles she's acquired should leave her squarely out of the "peons" category. She has (had?) a giant operation.
  • KetaKeta Member
    This beautiful blog is a loving lament & a comforting read!

Elegy for a Newborn Colt
    Julie June Stewart America's Best Racing April 13 2016
    http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/the-latest/blogs/2016/4/13/elegy-for-a-newborn-colt/

• KMMKMM Member
    After a year of waiting, this is still hitting me hard today, as I am sure it is true for all involved, and all forum members. That sweet susceptible face is everywhere we look.
  • I happened to look back over the Z Princess Memorial page today, just nostalgia at work I think, but I remembered something from those tough days that probably helped people then and may help now.

When Z Princess passed a lot of people donated to favorite charities, worthy animal organizations, etc in her name. I know we're all still reeling from the unexpectedness of this loss so please, don't anyone think this is a criticism or calling anyone out.

But if it helped you then, to pass on some support either monetary, volunteering time or items that would help, perhaps consider following that route now in Z16's memory.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited April 2016
    Good idea, Zenyen. Maybe if there is a Jockey Club research fund related to this condition, or any JC research for mares and breeding, or actuality, you are right, any favorite animal charity...laminitis comes to mind, but any charity relating to animals is great.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the suggestion, Zenyen. This is a good time, too, because the ASPCA is going to award $100,000 in grants to celebrate its 150th Anniversary to competing horse rescue organizations. Here is a list of the groups participating, listed by state: http://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca-events/aspca-help-horse-day-2016#ca. You can also participate by attending one of the events. I will be assisting at the event Mea Ola;s Place is holding in CA on the 24th.
  • Good idea, Zenyen. Maybe if there is a Jockey Club research fund related to this condition, or any JC research for mares and breeding, or actuality, you are right, any favorite animal charity...laminitis comes to mind, but any charity relating to animals is great.
    There was just an article about donating to JC and TB medical research, I'll post it when I get home.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks Elirose!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Looking at the pics of Z with 16Z moved me so much. She is a loving mom, but in my experience, most broodmares are. The mother instinct just moves you as a caretaker in attendance. The instinctual mother love with newborns is something to behold in all animals, as I am sure Sarinne and whoodler can attest to. I have worked with a small broodmare band in the past, and just loved all those moms.sigh for you Z, although I am grateful it is part of the instinctual reactions that animals have, including us, unless something is not quite right.
  • I actually have Amazon Smile set up (there's a browser add-on you can get that automatically redirects you to smile.amazon.com) so that I donate a small percentage to Old Friends with every purchase. Something you guys might want to consider doing if you use Amazon a lot in addition to making another charity contribution.
  • Thank you for the reminder, @Zenyen. I just went and donated to Old Friend's in memory of Z16. It makes me feel a little better.

I feel guilty because I was worried about Zenyatta, even before the birth. I was afraid the foal was too large. Then when the first photo came out and Zenyatta wasn't in the photo, I was sure something was wrong with her. Even when we found out about the colt going to the clinic, I never worried too much. Searching information didn't make it sound like it had to have a bad ending. I just assumed he would be fine. It's all so sad and, again, as sad as it is for us, I can't conceive of what this is like for the Mosses especially Ann.
  • I can't even comprehend this yet. It must be devastating for the Mosses and Team Zenyatta. And poor Zenyatta. What must she be feeling? Loss and sadness no doubt. Be at peace little foal.
  • Sure has been a sad week. There are a lot of people (even on the blog side) blaming Lane's End. Someone recently posted that looking back, Lane's End didn't take enough care of Z Princess and were not careful enough with this foaling. It really is upsetting. Also, I'm sick of seeing War Front blamed. I understand about superstition and all that, but now hearing the pairing resulted in "weak" bones and somehow caused this meconium incident. It's all tragic enough without throwing blame around.
  • Sure has been a sad week. There are a lot of people (even on the blog side) blaming Lane's End. Someone recently posted that looking back, Lane's End didn't take enough care of Z Princess and were not careful enough with this foaling. It really is upsetting. Also, I'm sick of seeing War Front blamed. I understand about superstition and all that, but now hearing the pairing resulted in "weak" bones and somehow caused this meconium incident. It's all tragic enough without throwing blame around.
    In the end, people are just trying to control a situation that is impossible to control. They say "well maybe it could have been prevented if..." but there's no way to stop random events like this. People have a tendency to see patterns in random events, and they figure that if they see something in common (anything in common) then that's why it happened. It's not always logical, but it's human nature, especially in a time of grief.
  • Figured it would eventually get there. Kinda surprised it took as long as it did.
    I can't imagine anyone feeling worse about this then the folks at L.E. out of the loop observers should at least work through the process and do a little research before causing unnecessary pain. Truly a shame.
  • lkclkc Member
    No need to blame anyone, it was an unfortunate birthing incident. This has to add to the unimaginable grief for the foal by Z's connections.
  • If there are any lessons learned from this tragedy it's not on Lane's End's part.