RIP Z16

Comments

• Without a doubt, there are very heavy hearts walking around at Lane's End still trying to grasp this loss. My heart goes out to Ann, Jerry and the whole team who dedicate each day to Zenyatta's well being. I hope somehow with all the publicity surrounding this tragedy, they are able to grieve in peace and allowed the time it takes for hearts to mend.
  • Nobody was to blame for Zprincess's death. She was out roughhousing with other weanlings her age and got hurt. Baby16 breathed before he was out of the sack and brought meconium into his lungs. Nobodys fault, I guess someone could blame mother nature: he should have waited until he took his first breath, Zenny carried a few days over her due date. It is very common for mares to carry over their assumed due date, just like humans and other animals. Nature pretty much won't let a baby be born until its ready to live and breath. Zenny's water broke and she had her baby in 24 minutes, not too long ,certainly nobody figured he would take a breath early in the sack. Again, just nature.
    Zprincess was injured running in her field playing. Weanlings, yearlings, all horse run daily in their pasture, its normal. Heartbreaking when accidents happen, but very common. Working for the vet, you cant imagine how many horses that we would have to put down for being out in the pasture and running and breaking a leg. Or a neck jumping around with other horses, mock fighting.
    Anyone who blames Lanes End is just somebody wanting to get attention and cause drama. NOBODY can say what is going to happen each day, nobody can predict what will or won't happen.
    I used to say the only safe way to keep a horse is in a padded stall 24 hours a day, then of course the horse would eat the padding and choke and die.
    Breeding and raising animals: horses, dogs, cats, cows, bunnies, any animal, and you will have death during birth,(lucky Zenyatta isn't one of the many mares that have lost their lives during foaling)when growing up, when exercised just everyday normal lives with animals. They bring lots of happiness and plenty of sadness.
  • Accidents happen anywhere. How many horses get cast in their stalls. Sad, but we just can't keep them all safe forever.
  • When you love an animal unconditionally, the loss is unbearable. I have absolutely no doubt that the Mosses, Team Zenyatta, and the folks at Land's End are stunned and sick over the loss of this foal.

The amount of empathy that went into the decision not to put Zenyatta back with Violet Rose, but to pair her with a former companion, Vixana, says to me that she is very well-loved member of their family.

As time passes, there will be a new Zenyatta foal to celebrate and all be right with the world.
  • My husband, a non-horse person has a question. I told him this morning about the events of the past week. He right away said "couldn't they induce her?" I explained no, too risky. He then asked about "natural" inducement", such as taking her on long walks (not by riding her, but on a lead), and putting her into a warm bath. Good question honey, I have no idea if farms practice any holistic-like treatments on mares that are overdue. Has anyone heard of or maybe done any type of "natural" inducement techniques on mares?
  • It did my heart good to see this blog. Ann Moss is a lady of compassion, love and dignity. God Bless her.
  • Lovely blog post. Thank you Team Z. Continue thoughts and prayers for you to find some peace and comfort. Vixana was like, nope not going, 'well, ok if Zenyatta goes. Both beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing them with us.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Nice to see some peace for Z and Ann. Thank you Vixana.
  • Hate to break the joy again, but I couldn't help but notice how similar Vixana's blaze is to 16Z's. Her blaze simply looks like a thinner version of his, I bet the Mosses have noticed as well.

Vix seems to bring happiness to both Zenyatta and the Mosses. My love and good wishes goes out to them all :)
  • Is Vixana a pensioner? What a beautiful place to be a retired lady, if she is, or maybe just left open? Idk, that's why I'm wondering.
  • I hope I won't get blasted for this, (I really loved little 16Z) but it might have been harder for all if he had been a filly. Or not. It's very depressing as it is. I just don't know. Sometimes things are a drag.
  • Losing foals is so devastating to a broodmare's legacy, I think. Mares just have such a limited number of chances to leave their mark on the breed. Compared to the studs. It's simple biology I guess. It's all just so sad right now.
  • KMMKMM Member
    She is broodmare. Don't know her back story, but it would seem to be too expensive to keep retired mares at LE. My take. Plus, she is fairly young; Z's age, if they were in training with JS at the same time. K
  • Vixana is 12. Her sire is Gone West. Grandsire is Mr. Prospector.
  • She is broodmare. Don't know her back story, but it would seem to be too expensive to keep retired mares at LE. My take. Plus, she is fairly young; Z's age, if they were in training with JS at the same time. K
    Is she the dam of anyone of note? I could look up her progeny, but I'm lazy ;)
  • She is broodmare. Don't know her back story, but it would seem to be too expensive to keep retired mares at LE. My take. Plus, she is fairly young; Z's age, if they were in training with JS at the same time. K

Mentor Cane.

She hasn't produced a foal in several years, although she has been bred. She is not actually a pensioner.
  • Vixana hade a colt named Mentor Cane. He was a promising sprinter in 2013. He was working out at Belmont Park in August 2013 with Edgar Prado up when Prado heard a pop and pulled him up. He broke his rt. Hind leg and had to be euthanized. I know of no other progeny of Vixana.

I forgot to list her dam before. It is Abita whose sire was Dynaformer.
  • I hope I won't get blasted for this, (I really loved little 16Z) but it might have been harder for all if he had been a filly. Or not. It's very depressing as it is. I just don't know. Sometimes things are a drag.
    I dont think its a downer you bringing this up.
    For me , it has brought the loss of ZPrincess so much closer. I feel that that loss more than any since Buchanon`s Hollow.

Mentor Cane.

She hasn't produced a foal in several years, although she has been bred. She is not actually a pensioner.
    Thank You. I did not know.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Mentor Cane was a very handsome boy....big, dark and I think he had a lovely blaze
  • Mentor Cane was a very handsome boy....big, dark and I think he had a lovely blaze
    Mentor Cane was actually a steel grey.

He was sired by Mizzen Mast, which is where he got his grey gene from. I think so many of us are used to Tapit's greys, who all go light very very young that it's sometimes a surprise to meet a grey who is still so very dark.

I loved Mentor Cane, he was set to be the Mosses next big stand out after Zenyatta. His story, as well as Z Princess and Z16 are as much part of the Mosses story as horses like Zenyatta and Zazu.

The highs and the lows of this business, and the courage the Mosses show to move through the lows and continue on, are something I think about when processing my own disappointment at the recent losses.

• Anyone starting to think that there's bad juju surrounding the mating of Z and War Front?
  • Anyone starting to think that there's bad juju surrounding the mating of Z and War Front?
    No, I don't think so. I think bad things sometimes happen for no reason. My parents had two stillbirths in a row before I was born, and I turned out perfect! :D Fillies die in accidents, newborn foals die of birth complications, the world is often a randomly cruel place. What we do with that fact is a highly personal thing, and everyone processes their own grief differently.

Some people lose a beloved pet and need to go right out and get a new one, others can't even contemplate replacing their beloved pet soon, or ever. Same love, same pain, different choices. I think it would be equally understandable if Ann feels the need to breed Z right back to War Front, or if she decides not to go back to him at all, or even never to breed Z again. But I don't think there's any reason to think that War Front is a bad match for Zenyatta just because two completely unrelated tragedies have occurred.

Changing the subject slightly, I'm doing a little bit of anthropomorphizing right now. I'm guessing Vixana has lost foals in the past, since the only one listed on PedQuery is Mentor Cane. So, I'm imagining V and Z having a little perinatal loss support group. As someone who had a hard time processing my own miscarriage long ago and needed the support of other women, I'm finding this thought comforting.
  • Great post, @jen_bloom, thank you for that. And I'm sorry to hear you've had a miscarriage. The heartbreak is enormous, I know. <3