Most Likely Sire of Z's Next Foal

Since the last thread for Z17 is no longer accurate =)

Comments

• Thank you! =) Was getting worried that we'd make a new one of these every year.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    I like how you worded the title too. Thanks, Jae!
  • I like a new one every year myself.....just the organizer in me I guess.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    I like a new one every year myself.....just the organizer in me I guess.
    I was kind of thinking in case 17Z is born too late to preclude an 18Z.

• edited May 2016
    It works. :) I like reading the suggestions. I don't see her going to any stallion not on the Leading Sire List, and most likely also in the top ten (MDO is number 11 only because of Lucky Pulpit having CC). While it is always fun waiting to hear the Moss' selection, so far the 4 Sires selected weren't exactly out of the box. If she went to a first year stallion now that would be a twist.
    I like a new one every year myself.....just the organizer in me I guess.

I was kind of thinking in case 17Z is born too late to preclude an 18Z.

• EliRoseEliRose Member
    I'm in the camp that thinks she'll get a year off after 17Z.

I can definitely imagine her heading to Pharoah if the first foals he puts on the ground are really quality, even if they wouldn't have raced yet. In theory he'd give excellent tactical speed, a more tractable temperament, and some level of precociousness. Not to mention his lovely conformation!
  • I'm of the opinion that Zenyatta would do best with a speed-oriented sire (such as Tapit or Speightstown), or a sire that has equal parts speed and stamina as she (Medaglia d'Oro, Lemon Drop Kid, War Front).
    Zenyatta's rating with American Pharaoh and Pioneerof the Nile rates as a "D", while she and Empire Maker rate a "C". So while I do think you should take Truenicks with a grain of salt, ratings this low would indicate a bad match =( Which is a pity, because the idea sounds great on paper.
  • American Pharoah seems like he might have more speed/precocity in him than Pioneerof the Nile and Empire Maker though. How do the Storm Cat lines fare with Zenyatta? If Pharoah got more of that line in his blood then maybe it's not a bad idea. Pharoah's ratings are just based on Pioneerof the Nile's at this point because they have nothing else to base the ratings off of.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    American Pharoah has speed in spades and a sprinter bottom half - not to mention he favors Yankee Gentleman significantly more than Pioneerof the Nile. That was the whole reason there were so many doubters that he could get 10f, let alone Belmont distance. He is exactly the kind of horse you just described.

Sorry but the Mosses have pedigree experts, I don't think they care much about a free online service that takes a tiny amount of information into account. For better or worse, Bernardini is a D and Tapit is a C. Note that when you plug in American Pharoah, TrueNicks has to roll all the way back to Mr. Prospector to come up with a report. Not exactly a beaming degree of accuracy.

This is an essentially untested cross.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited May 2016
    American Pharoah seems like he might have more speed/precocity in him than Pioneerof the Nile and Empire Maker though. How do the Storm Cat lines fare with Zenyatta? If Pharoah got more of that line in his blood then maybe it's not a bad idea. Pharoah's ratings are just based on Pioneerof the Nile's at this point because they have nothing else to base the ratings off of.
    And Zenyatta's are based off of Mr. Prospector.

For perspective on how warped TrueNicks can be - PotN and LPE are only a "B", even though they're the super well-proven Empire Maker/Storm Cat cross. The same exact cross as Bodemeister and In Lingerie.
  • KMMKMM Member
    The Mosses are a small boutique group. They can make any special choices they want. If MdO foal is healthy they may go back. If Ziconic shows up, maybe Tapit. They are in it for the game.
  • How about Afleet Alex, Lemon Drop Kid, Speighstown, and Kitten's Joy?
  • KMMKMM Member
    She may have another year off, given late breeding.
  • Tomorrow is 15 days ... hope she is...
  • Prayers for Mamma Z
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    She may have another year off, given late breeding.
    Really not that late. Early to mid April foal to be expected. Hopefully!

• Today's the day! Crossing fingers!
  • mc3mc3 Member
    curlin awesome producer they should give it a try
  • Sia4215Sia4215 Member
    It's the 28th of May. Have we heard yet if she took? Also, I want to see her bred to Animal Kingdom. I think he's in Europe so probably no chance but, that's my imaginary vote. I thought I read an article a few years back that Ebby was going to him and that would have been good enough for me but, I don't think that ever happened so now I'm back on the Animal Kingdom bandwagon.
  • My next 5 picks for her, after MdO (Still so happy about this!) is probably Afleet Alex, Lemon Drop Kid, Stay Thirsty, Speightstown, and Kitten's Joy.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Curious, why do you want her to go to Stay Thirsty? If Bernardini sons were even remotely considered for Z (which I doubt they are), I'd much rather her see To Honor and Serve, who has the super good-minded Deputy Minister as a damsire.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    It's the 28th of May. Have we heard yet if she took? Also, I want to see her bred to Animal Kingdom. I think he's in Europe so probably no chance but, that's my imaginary vote. I thought I read an article a few years back that Ebby was going to him and that would have been good enough for me but, I don't think that ever happened so now I'm back on the Animal Kingdom bandwagon.
    He shuttles between Australia and the states :) His kids so far look outstanding.
  • Stay Thirsty is a very speedy kind of horse. And I do agree that Z will likely need a sprinting sire to balance out her seemingly endless abundance of stamina. But perhaps Speightstown would be a better choice in that instance?
  • Sia4215Sia4215 Member
    Thank you, EliRose.
  • mc3mc3 Member
    kitten's joys could be a great choice