New Stallions for 2017

Comments

• And that got a palm in my face.... They're sending a proven G1 winner going 12 furlongs to Japan... And not even trying to bring him back at 4. Nice. :( Goodbye, Creator. If I ever make it over there, you and I'll Have Another will be my first stops on the list.
  • I think he'll have a better shot at succeeding at stud over there. We have Tonalist, who is by Tapit and won the Belmont (and was way more accomplished, though be it because he ran longer). Creator won two G1s, and they were both with the help of his rabbit Gettysburg. Just food for thought. He'll be more in demand over there.
  • As I posted in the other thread.............here's hoping Lani, another Tapit is retired to stud here and offers us some diversity through his distaff line.
  • sarinne said:

As I posted in the other thread.............here's hoping Lani, another Tapit is retired to stud here and offers us some diversity through his distaff line.

We have Sunday Silence represented here with a couple of sons who aren't heavily utilized. But both of them are sired by Sunday Silence.

Lani with Tapit on top and Sunday Silence on the bottom may be able to offer more than the others. Still, American breeders don't seem interested in the Sunday Silence blood.

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Sunday's boys here are Hat Trick and Silent Name.
  • Zenyen said:

sarinne said:

As I posted in the other thread.............here's hoping Lani, another Tapit is retired to stud here and offers us some diversity through his distaff line.

We have Sunday Silence represented here with a couple of sons who aren't heavily utilized. But both of them are sired by Sunday Silence.

Lani with Tapit on top and Sunday Silence on the bottom may be able to offer more than the others. Still, American breeders don't seem interested in the Sunday Silence blood.

I wish I understood why they aren't interested. Any insight @Zenyen why they still aren't interested?

• jnwisconsinjnwisconsin Member
    edited October 2016
    Daddy Halo, possibly.

Halo wore a muzzle most of the time, only one of many indications of his temperament.

Sunday Silence was no slouch, either. One of his two grooms said it was a wonder they had all of their body parts.
  • I knew about that and I know many of the Sunday's are a little nuts, but they're great runners and so uniquely beautiful. I would sure be interested if I had a horse to breed. Lol!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Lani, aren'_t his owners Japanese?
  • I believe they are, but they stated that they want Lani to stand stud in the US. I know they are aiming at him coming back to the US for the BCC 2017, and I suspect he'll stay stateside if all goes according to the current plan.
  • Nah, the breeders and big farms don't turn away from a horse because of temper. In fact they want them hot and aggressive on the track and if the stallion is difficult, the grooms learn to step smartly.

Look at Dynaformer, Storm Cat, Fairplay, Hastings, etc.

Halo was hit or miss in terms of what kind of conformation he passed on. Hancock couldn't unload Sunday Silence as a yearling because his conformation was so atrocious. He ended up putting him in the hands of a masterful trainer, one of the last true greats. Whittingham kept Sunday Silence sound as long as he could and it took a man of Whittingham's caliber to do it.

But when Sunday Silence was retired, that dodgy conformation came back to haunt Hancock and he couldn't get anyone to buy into the horse at $250,000 a share. I think he had something like ... 3 buyers, max?

Back then everybody in the States wanted the conformation on a yearling that would bring big bucks in the sale ring and that wasn't going to be a Halo son with bad conformation. The Japanese were breeding to race not sell, and they had the money and the patience to get the mares who would improve Sunday Silence's weaknesses.
  • KMMKMM Member
    So zenyen, are you saying temperment and soundness and conformation matter now? It sounds like it in the sales rings?

• Recent photo I found on Danele Durham's twitter page. Texas Bling recently retired and will be calling Weatherford, Texas, home. Weatherford is 4 hours west of my place, so I hope to visit him in the summer next year!
  • G2 HERO TRIPLE THREAT RETIRED TO STUD
    MONSUN 6YO WON GROUP 2 IN FRANCE, U. S.
    RACED FOR BREEDERS TVI AND GARY BARBER: http://teamvalor.com/news/oct2016/triplethreatretired.pdf
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited October 2016
    Unusual Heat Pensioned
    October 10, 2016 – Coalinga, CA – Unusual Heat, the All Time Leading Sire in California Progeny Earnings has been pensioned from stud at 26
    “It is with great emotion that we have to announce the retirement of Unusual Heat”, said Harris Auerbach, managing partner of M.Auerbach,LLC. “He’s been remarkable and even in his final season at stud in 2016 managed to get 25 of 30 bred mares in foal. It’s been an amazing run and I’m happy that “Heat” can now just relax and enjoy the rest of his days just being a horse.”
    http://www.unusualheat.com/heatnews.html

Unusual Heat
    Sire Nureyev
    Grandsire Northern Dancer

Dam Rossard (Den.)
    Damsire Glacial
    Sex Stallion
    Foaled 1990
    Country United States
    Colour Dark Bay
    Owner The Unusual Heat Syndicate
    Trainer Dermot Weld
    Richard Mandella
    Barry Abrams
    Record 16: 6-2-2
  • Keta said:

Unusual Heat Pensioned
    October 10, 2016 – Coalinga, CA – Unusual Heat, the All Time Leading Sire in California Progeny Earnings has been pensioned from stud at 26
    “It is with great emotion that we have to announce the retirement of Unusual Heat”, said Harris Auerbach, managing partner of M.Auerbach,LLC. “He’s been remarkable and even in his final season at stud in 2016 managed to get 25 of 30 bred mares in foal. It’s been an amazing run and I’m happy that “Heat” can now just relax and enjoy the rest of his days just being a horse.”
    http://www.unusualheat.com/heatnews.html

Top CA Sire Unusual Heat Pensioned at Age 26: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/215757/top-ca-sire-unusual-heat-pensioned-at-age-26
  • Vancouver will be shuttling to Kentucky from Australia for the 2017 breeding season. Very exciting!

http://coolmore.com/champion-juvenile-vancouver-to-shuttle-to-coolmore-america/?farm=america
  • That is one handsome big guy. And he does look like Shanghai Bobby, one of my favorites. Exciting that he will be shuttling to US in 2017.

When I saw the top pic, with the striped blanket, I thought it was De Coronado. There is an almost identical pic of him. I had to zoom in ln the name on the blanket to be sure.

Here is the De Coronado pic i same pose as Vancouver
    VA_in_CA said:

Thought I would post the actual picture of him here instead of just a link.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo by Emma Berry from Gary King's Twitter Tweet

The above is from the Zenyatta has a full brother thread.
  • That's a Newmarket blanket, I have several :) They're my favorite.
  • Good to know the name of the blanket. I like that it gives a little more coverage over the hind quarters, particularly in our cold climate.

The pics of the two sure are similar, though.
  • If the Mosses get what they want in terms of form from Z17, I would be very excited if they gave Vancouver a look!

MdO son with Danzig (who they were courting with War Front) from the dam line, precocious two year old and good, small and close coupled build? On paper he's exactly what the Mosses have gone after for Zenyatta in these last 3 matings and he looks to be a perfect body type.
  • From Spendthrift Farm facebook: LORD NELSON, a 3x Grade 1 winner & one of the fastest sprinters in recent memory, will stand at Spendthrift Farm upon retirement. Son of elite sire and sire-of-sires Pulpit, he will stand for $30,000 Share the Upside & $25,000 Stands and Nurses. https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14666061_10155339919892995_2630291858368994365_n.jpg?oh=95e3a7e47ece61fb81a7becbe6631080&oe=58A30825