Impressive New Runners to Watch

With a couple of impressive debut winners recently (such as Enola Gray and Proficiently), I thought it would be helpful if we had a discussion dedicated to horses we should all be keeping on our radar.

Comments

• I like this idea!
  • Good idea, Jaefeathered. In the meantime people can go back and read the posts about Proficiently and Liana Star on Well-Known Fillies born in 2013. Although Liana Star and Proficiently are both 2013 fillies, they are not yet well-known, so I didn't know quite where to put Proficiently. This new thread is much less restrictive, so thanks for the new one. We can put colts in here, too.
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Algorithms first winner Recruiting Ready a 2 year old colt won his debut by 10 1/4 lengths on May 28th at Pimlico: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212011/first-u-s-winner-for-algorithms
  • He looks like a good prospect for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile this fall.
  • I like this thread. I want to know about upcoming potential stars anyone gets wind of first. Please share. :)
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited June 2016
    A 2yo colt named Random Walk (Super Saver x Lunargal by Yes It's True) won his debut by 5 3/4 lengths at Belmont Park in Race 1 on 6/3. He earned a 90 Beyer speed figure for his effort.

That's pretty damn impressive for an early 2yo!
  • I don't know if any of you guys have been paying attention to the fantastic rivalry out at Emerald Downs with Barkley and Mach One Rules, but man it's fun to watch! Barkley is current undefeated with 6 wins under his belt. Mach One Rules has been second to him three times in a row now. It's like a mini Affirmed-Alydar rivalry out there!
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited July 2016
    Mach One Rules, eh? Hmm. I think Mach Five Rules. hahaha Mach is my maiden name and V is my initial, so sometimes I use Mach5 as an I D for various websites. Ernst Mach, an Austrian physicist who computed the speed of sound, and for whom that speed is named Mach One, was my grandfather's uncle. I'll have to keep my eye on him. He is listed in Pedigree Query with 6 starts, and a record of 4 wins, 2 places. So if he came in second to Barkley 3 times, that isn't up to date. It was updated on 5Jun2016. He was the champion 2-year old for Washington, the state in which he was bred. Thanks for pointing him out, jaefeathered.
  • Mach One Rules's current record is 7-4-3-0 and earnings of $123,826, according to Equibase. Nice horse. His last start was yesterday in the Seattle Slew Stakes, in which he was second to Barkley again. He lost by a head.
  • That's very impressive. Has he raced outside of Washington?
  • VA_in_CA said:

That's very impressive. Has he raced outside of Washington?

Nope, it's all been at Emerald Downs. I don't blame his owners for keeping him there though. He's a huge fan favorite and doesn't win his races by THAT much, so it's not like he'd be super competitive at the graded stakes level at Santa Anita or something. I'd probably keep him there too if I were them.
  • Reminds me of Stopshoppingdebbie. Except for her last race, an attempt at a Graded Stakes race at Santa Anita (finished ahead of one horse), all her starts, were at Emerald Downs; after her maiden win, she raced totally in ungraded stakes races. She was undefeated until that Santa Anita start.
  • Yeah he reminds me a lot of Stopshoppingdebbie too haha. Found a replay of the race yesterday, which is really just fantastic. Barkley doesn't know how to lose.

• edited July 2016
    Love all his chrome.
  • Fox Hill Farm, home of Songbird, has their first 2 yr old running on July 30, 2016 @ Del Mar, 3rd. race, post 1. His name is Honor. and Courage.
    edited July 2016
    Keep an eye on With Honors, who just won her debut in the 4th race at Del Mar tonight going a mile on the turf. She's by War Front out of a Street Cry mare and is trained by Keith Desormeaux, who is not at all known for winning with first time starters or with horses who run on the lead. She forged to the front from the start of the race and just never looked back. She was barely asked to run by Flavien Prat and is definitely stakes quality.

EDIT: Here's a brief piece in TDN about her win: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/war-front-debutante-graduates-at-del-mar/

EDIT2: Also a DRF Live post (free): http://live.drf.com/nuggets/30891
  • You can see With Honors' win on Cal Racing replays. You have to become a member, but it's free. Very impressive performance. She has a really long stride. She also has a Pedigree that is 3/4 the same as Z Princess. Sigh.
  • Theory won his debut very impressively today! I had really liked him as a yearling last year and was really hoping he'd do well. He won by 5 1/2 lengths in the 3rd race at Saratoga today, and already people are talking about him like he'll win the Hopeful =D He's the Gemologist x Gem Sleuth colt that was my favorite of the yearlings Keith Desormeaux had picked out at the sale. He was later sold to China Horse Club International and WinStar and is now trained by Todd Pletcher.
  • Honor and Courage came in fifth in the 3rd st Del Mar. Big League was first. Keith Desormoux had two horses in the race. Mizzen Me finished fourth and Sonneteer finished seventh.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2016
    Hootie, my mare's 1/2 Sib, whose under tack video I posted earlier this year, and who sold for $300, 000, is training at DelMar. He is a 2 year who has not started yet. His latest work was very good. He is by Twirling Candy out of Barbarians mile. Go Hootie! :)
    edited August 2016
    Wow! Keep an eye on Summer Revolution, who is now 2-for-2 with extremely impressive runs in both races. He was just a few ticks off the track record at Saratoga in his race today and is probably bound for the King's Bishop next.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/summer-revolution-backs-up-big-debut-earns-rising-star-nod/

Also STRAIGHT FIRE! Extremely impressive race second time out to win by 11 lengths for the Desormeaux brothers and Jim Rome's Jungle Racing. His first race was a very very good second to Chasing Aces, who broke a 52 year old track record in that race. Keep an eye on him on the Derby trail this year and next!

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/dominuss-straight-fire-burns-up-the-track-to-become-rising-star/
  • Daughter Of Kitten’s Joy Impresses At Leopardstown

Very nice debut in Europe for this Kitten's Joy filly. This seems to be the year that The Kitten's are making a name for themselves in Europe.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/daughter-of-kittens-joy-impresses-at-leopardstown/
  • Another Kitten's Joy, Oscar Performance, was extremely impressive breaking his maiden at Saratoga today. He won by about a dozen lengths on the lead from the far outside post. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/kittens-joy-colt-rewrites-the-script-in-rising-star-performance/
  • Thanks for posting. He's not a Ramsey bred (hence the name without Kitten, lol). He's out of a stakes winning mare (Devine Actress), so again, not the usual Ramsey claimer.

Speaking about "Kitten" names. Perry Martin has a two year old filly named Not a Kitten. She is by Munnings out of Balboa Betty. Ok, I get there are a lot of horses out there with the name Kitten, but what's the point of saddling your totally unconnected filly to Kitten's Joy or the Ramsey's with the name Not a Kitten? The only thing I can think of is that's a dig at the Ramsey's and if so then "why?” Why be a butt-head towards Mr. Ramsey and his stallion? The name isn't even that clever for a filly by Munnings. If she was by a Storm Cat line stallion, like Tale of the Cat, then the name Not a Kitten would have a sense of whimsy and humor.

Another Kitten's Joy, Oscar Performance, was extremely impressive breaking his maiden at Saratoga today. He won by about a dozen lengths on the lead from the far outside post. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/kittens-joy-colt-rewrites-the-script-in-rising-star-performance/

• Oscar Performance is a full brother to Oscar Nominated, this year's Spiral winner.

Devine Actress DID belong to the Ramseys at one point, FYI, and ON is currently owned by the Ramseys.